Re: DJ Wilson Development Thread 

Post#241 » by Serge28 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:47 am

bucksfansince88
Analyst
And1: 1,777

Post#242 » by bucksfansince88 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:50 am

Triple 7 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:My guess is people saying DJ was uncoordinated and tripping over himself saw him play like 5 minutes in 5 games last year. "What you see is all there is" bias at work. He's always been a good athlete.

Just for old times sake

I’m blaming that fall on his hair, it made him lose his balance
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#243 » by drew881 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:55 am

Serge28 wrote:

The jumper at 1:45 is big time
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#244 » by mke_design » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:43 am

If the playoffs started today, DJ Wilson would be part of a 9 man rotation. Let that sink in.
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
Octopus Jonny
Senior
And1: 82

Post#246 » by Octopus Jonny » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:03 am

This coaching staff is getting through to the players in a way we haven't seen before and DJ is a prime example of how the right environment can set guys up for success.

Nearly every person on here was ready to just light that asset on fire and move on, myself included.

DJ Wilson, who looked to be even more lost than Rashad Vaughn, is earning and thriving as a rotation-worthy player on the best team in the league. That is so incredible to me.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,768

Post#247 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:36 am

Triple 7 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:My guess is people saying DJ was uncoordinated and tripping over himself saw him play like 5 minutes in 5 games last year. "What you see is all there is" bias at work. He's always been a good athlete.

Just for old times sake

Ha! Good one.
craig
Senior
And1: 128

Post#248 » by craig » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:04 am

He played 70 scattered minutes over the whole of last season.

He's played more than four times that this season; he almost logs as many minutes as last season total in a single week now.

Obviously the scattered spot glimpses last year didn't show a lot of promise. But also obvious that the present much larger look gives a much more predictive picture than the tiny scattered spot glimpses of last year.

I thought he looked quite fine in summer league.

I also think what he does best at doesn't maybe get appreciated appropriately in scattered garbage minutes, or in summer league either.
1. Good defense, can you even pick up on that in spot garbage minutes? Good defense, can you even see that on summer league TV, with the camera following the ball?
2. Offensively, he's a support piece. Doesn't create anything or show moves or drives or one-on-one; he's basically a support guy who puts in put-backs and shoots the open long-ball. An opportunity scorer. He did the same in summer league; but if we were looking for him to be a lead dog and take over offensively and have shots in volume, he doesn't have that capacity now, and he didn't do it in summer league.

It's a great story.

Think he's interesting too in that it was obvious what was needed: strength and with it some resulting rebounding presence; and actually serviceable NBA 3-point shot (as opposed to reference to shooting in practice). What was needed was clear, and both things showed up.

Donte needs different things, but he's another where it's obvious what needs to change: come up with a usable 3 shot. I'm hopeful that just as Wilson understood what was needed, and it happened; that Donte will likewise clearly understand what is needed, and that somehow it will happen for him too. **IF** he could conjure up an effective 3-ball, so that we'd be coming out with back-to-back successful picks, it would be huge.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,949

Post#249 » by soxperry » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:17 am

I feel pretty confident in DDV. All things considered, he looked like he belonged on the court from the get go, he just wasn't hitting his shots. He has the intangibles, he understands the game. I can't wait until he's providing meaningful minutes.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Post#250 » by AussieBuck » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:17 am

Second best player by the end of the season. My take is hot as the kids these days say.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 856

Post#251 » by benultimate » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:36 am

An older, poorer man's Jaren Jackson Jr
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#252 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 am

midranger wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Jared+Jeffries&player_id1_select=Jared+Jeffries&y1=2004&player_id1=jeffrja01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Tayshaun+Prince&player_id2_select=Tayshaun+Prince&y2=2004&player_id2=princta01&idx=players&player_id3_hint=D.J.+Wilson&player_id3_select=D.J.+Wilson&y3=2019&player_id3=wilsodj01&idx=players&player_id4_hint=Andrei+Kirilenko&player_id4_select=Andrei+Kirilenko&y4=2003&player_id4=kirilan01&idx=players

Here’s the Jared Jeffries/Tayshuan Prince/Andrei Kirilenko spectrum. I think Wilson’s play has him pretty close to prince

Wow! Tayshaun Prince actually seems like an excellent comp for the way he’s playing right now.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#253 » by aboveAverage » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:36 am

This is so beautiful:
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#254 » by tedbrogen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:45 am

I think the confidence factor also cannot be overstated especially in this situation. Wilson took a while in college to get confidence in his game, but once he did he was tremendous on the most pressure packed stage for college players. Rather than building his confidence and giving him a consistent role, Kidd was probably making fun of his hair and/or shorts, or giving him the cold shoulder while worrying about how soon he could get to the bar.

Bud and Giannis clearly were trying to build his confidence from all the public statements in training camp.

The thing about the clip of him falling down from last season that jumps out at me is if you watch the play, he busted it defensively and guarded three players on that possession that ended in a defensive stop.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#255 » by LuessiT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:51 am

AussieBuck wrote:Second best player by the end of the season. My take is hot as the kids these days say.

Third best player next season is my honest take. Or in the words of a Milwaukee Bucks legend: DJ have it all.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#256 » by Jez2983 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Yeah, I reckon he's going to be able to create his own shot. Holy **** what is happening.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#257 » by LuessiT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Haven't seen a highlight video so:

LuessiT
RealGM

Post#258 » by LuessiT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm

What I find remarkable is that he emulates good aspects from players on the roster. He rebounds like Brook on defense and attempts to take charges like Ersan. He's going to learn how to handle and pass from Giannis and let's hope Giannis stays the **** away from teaching him how to shoot.
DJ's release is so high, reasonably quick and he even jumps backwards slightly so I'm quite confident that at some point you can force feed him 3's like Brook. Not worried at all about his offense. That is crazy.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#259 » by GBPackers47 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:37 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:I don't know why we have to discuss it SO MUCH that we were wrong about DJ
Relax guys, we're not getting paid to do this, it's ok
No really, it's ok LOL

I agree, but we've been trashing this dude beyond just basketball on this board.

No.... what? No. Like what do you mean? I mean we made fun of his sideshow Bob looks because we make fun of everything and everybody anyway. This was always about basketball and only basketball, that's the only problem we ever had with him. As soon as he showed he can contribute nobody here had any problem to show him all the love.

Lol aight
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#260 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:03 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Second best player by the end of the season. My take is hot as the kids these days say.

woah woah woah.... this is a bit much

Return to Milwaukee Bucks