ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#881 » by jmart762 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Great game! I live in the town south of New Glarus and a few of their kids and parents come and play open gym frequently. I'm happy to see them succeed like this! Basketball in the area is doing pretty good the past few years, especially considering we never seem to have any height.
Touchpass wrote:Anybody watch the division 4 semifinals tonight? Both really good games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#882 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
midranger wrote:Social media is the greatest scourge of humanity.

No doubt in my mind.

Definitely a net negative on society.

Unless you are a business promoting a product or an organization like a charity trying to get the word out, I don't see the use for it.

Facebook was cool in the beginning when you could connect with old friends, but over time it wore out with me. I don't have my account anymore. Never signed up for Insta, never signed up for Twitter. I know people like Twitter for breaking news, but there's nothing that is going to affect my life that fast that I need to know about it the second it breaks.

I deleted both off my phone about a month ago and my life is much better for it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,337

Post#883 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:40 pm

I've never had a Facebook account. I don't care about the score of Jimmy's soccer game nor what you had for dinner.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Post#884 » by jute2003 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:44 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I've never had a Facebook account. I don't care about the score of Jimmy's soccer game nor what you had for dinner.
It holds a lot of value for my business still and keeps me somewhat connected to family on my moms side. Otherwise, it just shows me what friends and family are actually worthless ****.
only a fan, only an opinion
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,004

Post#885 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:45 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I've never had a Facebook account. I don't care about the score of Jimmy's soccer game nor what you had for dinner.

But what if I told you it would make your stalking of Graham Mertz easier?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#886 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I stalk via Twitter
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#887 » by IrishRainbow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:44 pm

The 'new' Dome news seems regurgitated. Wasn't this already gone over ad nauseam last year? Seems like just a half step in planning.

Also, amazing what a Hop earmarked fund pool couldve actually done. I understand some of the issues of expanded county finance, but clearly expecting high% funds to be acquired via private parties, donations, and fund raising events arent cutting it.

KidA24 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Milwaukee is really thinking about closing the Mitchell Park Domes? I used to like field trips there when I was a kid.

Everything is Milwaukee is falling apart in the parks system.

It's a long lasting struggle in the county with a lack of ability to raise funds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jsonline.com/amp/333604002

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#888 » by Mags FTW » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:26 pm

IrishRainbow wrote:The 'new' Dome news seems regurgitated. Wasn't this already gone over ad nauseam last year? Seems like just a half step in planning.

Also, amazing what a Hop earmarked fund pool couldve actually done. I understand some of the issues of expanded county finance, but clearly expecting high% funds to be acquired via private parties, donations, and fund raising events arent cutting it.

KidA24 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Milwaukee is really thinking about closing the Mitchell Park Domes? I used to like field trips there when I was a kid.

Everything is Milwaukee is falling apart in the parks system.

It's a long lasting struggle in the county with a lack of ability to raise funds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jsonline.com/amp/333604002

In 2008 county voters narrowly passed (51 to 49) a referendum for a 1% sales tax increase for parks and transportation among other things. The state legislature shot it down. Only 3 cities in the county (Milwaukee, West Milwaukee, and Shorewood) had more yes votes. The other 16 didn't want it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#889 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:39 pm

I have Facebook and probably won't delete it but it basically is relegated to "scroll for 5 minutes 2x/day" to me, which is actually probably more than it should be. I think being woke to the idea of status comparison or whatever and basically not needing it is good enough. Probably better just to delete but I'll live with barely using it and leaving it there to connect if necessary.

Twitter, I have, and I am glued to it when I probably shouldn't be. It is the most useful of all of them but also no matter how hard I try, I cannot get out of the "OMG get REALLY MAD about this!" type stuff as hard as I try. That **** is also bad for your brain even if it is 100% correct on a day like today after everything that happened in NZ.

And even when I've unfollowed people that (again, even if it is correct) drone on about the political issue of the day with 10-15 posts of outrage, your brain can still even get lost in stupid sports or lifestyle commentary that will waste one's time* or draw the same anger/stress/anxiety.

* notes complete irony of posting this on a message board that has the same utility.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#890 » by humanrefutation » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Saying that the problem is social media is missing the point.

Yes, social media can be used to disseminate hate. But that hate did not originate on social media. Hate is normalized by the rhetoric of people who have the capacity to influence others, from politicians who weaponize bigotry for their own political aspirations, to media members with major platforms endorsing those perspectives, to community leaders who lead rallies or sponsor events that promote hate, to the everyday person who supports those perspectives. That, coupled with the failure of society to check the implicit or explicit narratives that promote that hate, emboldens people who believe that they're advancing the will of the "silent majority" when they perpetuate acts of violence against communities who they deem as a threat to their white supremacy. Social media is a tool, but hate existed well before the advent of social media and will continue to fester if we don't do what we can to combat it.

I've spent a lot of my life educating people about these issues both in personal and professional settings. The vast majority of people condemn hate and support the idea of an inclusive and welcoming society for people of all identities. And that's awesome! But, when it comes to actually doing anything about it, most of them seem to carry a mentality of "I'm not a ______ist/phobe, so I've done my part." No! It doesn't stop with your personal POV. Our work doesn't end by crossing a bar so low that you can't even see it without crouching down with a microscope.

We all have to do whatever we can within our sphere of influence to combat bigotry. We can't be silent. We can't let hate fester without rebuke. We have to deplatform this **** from our personal and professional lives, from social media and actual media, from our homes and our halls of government.

Social media is only one avenue to express hate. But it's also an equally important avenue to express solidarity, especially when communities are afraid and are grieving.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#891 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 pm

I used to live in the Men Falls area but it's been a few years. Any decent places to eat?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#892 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:25 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Saying that the problem is social media is missing the point.

Yes, social media can be used to disseminate hate. But that hate did not originate on social media. Hate is normalized by the rhetoric of people who have the capacity to influence others, from politicians who weaponize bigotry for their own political aspirations, to media members with major platforms endorsing those perspectives, to community leaders who lead rallies or sponsor events that promote hate, to the everyday person who supports those perspectives. That, coupled with the failure of society to check the implicit or explicit narratives that promote that hate, emboldens people who believe that they're advancing the will of the "silent majority" when they perpetuate acts of violence against communities who they deem as a threat to their white supremacy. Social media is a tool, but hate existed well before the advent of social media and will continue to fester if we don't do what we can to combat it.

I've spent a lot of my life educating people about these issues both in personal and professional settings. The vast majority of people condemn hate and support the idea of an inclusive and welcoming society for people of all identities. And that's awesome! But, when it comes to actually doing anything about it, most of them seem to carry a mentality of "I'm not a ______ist/phobe, so I've done my part." No! It doesn't stop with your personal POV. Our work doesn't end by crossing a bar so low that you can't even see it without crouching down with a microscope.

We all have to do whatever we can within our sphere of influence to combat bigotry. We can't be silent. We can't let hate fester without rebuke. We have to deplatform this **** from our personal and professional lives, from social media and actual media, from our homes and our halls of government.

Social media is only one avenue to express hate. But it's also an equally important avenue to express solidarity, especially when communities are afraid and are grieving.

Well, we're (or at least I am) talking about 2 issues here:

1. The spread of hate. I will defer to your comments.

2. People's brains being affected by social media on a massive scale. I don't think I've been overcome with hate by using Twitter (other than being pissed off at various politicians or whatever) but it definitely messes with your anxiety and depression levels.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#893 » by humanrefutation » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:26 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I used to live in the Men Falls area but it's been a few years. Any decent places to eat?

I always like to grab pizza at Pepinos when I'm in the Falls.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,275

Post#894 » by KidA24 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I used to live in the Men Falls area but it's been a few years. Any decent places to eat?

I've had decent food at AJ O'Brady's
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Touchpass
Bench Warmer
And1: 305

Post#895 » by Touchpass » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:59 pm

jmart762 wrote:Great game! I live in the town south of New Glarus and a few of their kids and parents come and play open gym frequently. I'm happy to see them succeed like this! Basketball in the area is doing pretty good the past few years, especially considering we never seem to have any height.
Touchpass wrote:Anybody watch the division 4 semifinals tonight? Both really good games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I’ll be rooting for them tomorrow. Enjoyed the way there PG played. Was hoping to see them go against Osseo. They had a forward put up 33/20/6 and was all over the place.
Just got home and checking out this Lacrosse v Washington game. There are some big bruisers out there.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,629

Post#896 » by Gianstoppable » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:18 pm

So we are looking into possibly buying a hard top gazebo for our backyard. A 10x12 would fit great and work out really well for us with mosquito nets. Now heres the catch, we have an open park behind our house and the wind can really whip through our backyard sometimes. A lot of the hard top ones say they are rated for 35-40 MPH winds and (some more) if you bolt it to the ground. Being that its Wisconsin and high winds are common most the year I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions before we drop some coin on this. Not looking to spend too much, preferably under $1500.00 hopefully under or near 1,000 but does anyone have any suggestions?
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#897 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 pm

OK guys you all know politics isn't allowed. So once again I'm cleaning up a thread. Yes other boards allow everything. We don't. And yes gun laws are political. So it stops now.

viewforum.php?f=69
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,279

Post#898 » by Finn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 am

Gianstoppable wrote:So we are looking into possibly buying a hard top gazebo for our backyard. A 10x12 would fit great and work out really well for us with mosquito nets. Now heres the catch, we have an open park behind our house and the wind can really whip through our backyard sometimes. A lot of the hard top ones say they are rated for 35-40 MPH winds and (some more) if you bolt it to the ground. Being that its Wisconsin and high winds are common most the year I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions before we drop some coin on this. Not looking to spend too much, preferably under $1500.00 hopefully under or near 1,000 but does anyone have any suggestions?

My folks had a Casita screenhouse in the U.P. that was placed on top of a wooden platform. It was a "soft top" (some sort of waterproof, vinyl-ish material). Had to chase it around the backyard more than once. To keep it down, we had to tie down all 4 corners on the inside and run 2 ropes over the top of it. And it was still damaged (1 or 2 screen panels) in a very high wind. Good luck with your decision.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,943

Post#899 » by BUCKnation » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:07 am

Social media and other social sites like reddit provide an echo chamber for people with all ideals, good and bad. That's probably the biggest issue. It makes people with fringe and potentially bad ideals believe that their thoughts are more widespread and then it just develops further.

I think social media sites are mostly harmless and beneficial for news and other things if you want a quick laugh or something, but it could easily divulge into something darker.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#900 » by ackypoo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:06 am

MickeyDavis wrote:OK guys you all know politics isn't allowed. So once again I'm cleaning up a thread. Yes other boards allow everything. We don't. And yes gun laws are political. So it stops now.

viewforum.php?f=69

are statistics and facts political?

im not saying thats what happened here. i didnt see the deleted posts. im just curious. if i post a stat/fact without an opinion, is that considered political?

we live in a time with a lot of misinformation. i think its important that we have statistics and facts. these things are not politically motivated until i offer my opinion on these statistics and facts.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks