ImageImage

Horst Appreciation Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

buckbeer
Bench Warmer
And1: 874

Re: Horst Appreciation Thread 

Post#21 » by buckbeer » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:53 am

The Brewers have a great young GM in Stearns, can Horst be the Bucks' "Stearns"? I hope so, so far Horst is doing a great job.

If Horst manages to get KD or Kyrie or Kawhi to join the Bucks this offseason, I think it would cement his status as a great GM.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#22 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sat Feb 9, 2019 8:44 am

When you take chances on unknowns, sometimes you get Giannis and sometimes you get Thon. Horst has done a great job so far by constructing the best Bucks roster I can remember as well as being the driving force behind firing Kidd and hiring Bud. That being said, it's tough to make judgments with such a small sample size, especially since this great roster came at the expense of multiple 1sts and their entire team is basically a free agent in a few months. This offseason will be rtelling. Even Josh Smith was.a top 5/10 player for one season.
Read on Twitter
DBeshore
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#23 » by DBeshore » Sat Feb 9, 2019 11:16 am

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/2019/01/28/milwaukee-bucks-general-manager-jon-horst-stays-rooted/2699815002/

"Horst took the call from Pistons president Joe Dumars and ran with it.

Though the Pistons did eventually decide they couldn’t let the intern go, at first they couldn’t afford to pay him.

So after rubbing shoulders with people like coach Flip Saunders and trying to catch the eyes of Dumars and Hammond during his day job, Horst did even more work at night.

He worked at FedEx, did maintenance work at the trailer park where he owned a mobile home, and stocked shelves at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

With the Pistons, he originally thought he’d eventually coach, and Saunders had allowed him to break down film for the coaching staff in addition to his front office duties.

With the team’s decision makers, Horst specialized in his detail-oriented approach with projects, working with Pistons executives like Tony Ronzone, George David, Jeff Weltman and Scott Perry, now the general manager of the New York Knicks.

“I love spending long hours on research and analysis and putting something from start to finish, really kind of coming out with a recommendation based on the data,” Horst said...

After a year-plus of little to no pay, Horst was eventually hired by Dumars full time as manager of basketball operations."
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#24 » by Chapter29 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 12:13 pm

He's done a very good job so far. His big test will be this offseason.

He may have something that Hammond and others never had. A FA market where players may actually want to play for Milwaukee.
Giannis
is
UponUs
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,044

Post#25 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:25 pm

Chapter29 wrote:He's done a very good job so far. His big test will be this offseason.

He may have something that Hammond and others never had. A FA market where players may actually want to play for Milwaukee.

The Grasshopper runs out and gives Mirza Teletovic a big free agent deal.

The Ant spends the year collecting second round picks and then swipes Mirotic away at the exact time the Pelican is sleeping.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#26 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:01 pm

Crazy that he was just sitting around and was asked "want to be the GM?" after the owners couldn't agree

I was dead wrong about him
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#27 » by Treebeard » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:23 pm

Whacking Kidd (even if he had Eden's Okiedoke) was a power move and maybe gave him some more credibility with management at other teams.

He's had a few bumps, but has he had any real disasters? DiVincenzo/Heurter, Snell contract, first impressions of DJ. For a guy on his first gig in charge on a left foot, with the ludicrous hiring fiasco (not his fault); he seems to have managed both sides of the GM role: managing rosters and managing his own ownership fairly well.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#28 » by Wisky4life » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:34 pm

Dump Snell and a 1st this summer and hit on free agency and I will be forever grateful of what he has done so far. High standards for what kind of a season we are having, but why stop there.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,044

Post#29 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:35 pm

We got a positive sign when he made the Bledsoe deal. We still haven’t paid the bill on that with the future number one, but we’ve gotten two great years of PG play already. And they proactively dumped Moose, who finds himself yet again without a team.

The Moose thing was controversial at the time because some fans still thought he was a difference maker.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,897

Post#30 » by jschligs » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:37 pm

Treebeard wrote:Whacking Kidd (even if he had Eden's Okiedoke) was a power move and maybe gave him some more credibility with management at other teams.

He's had a few bumps, but has he had any real disasters? DiVincenzo/Heurter, Snell contract, first impressions of DJ. For a guy on his first gig in charge on a left foot, with the ludicrous hiring fiasco (not his fault); he seems to have managed both sides of the GM role: managing rosters and managing his own ownership fairly well.

I'll give Snell's contract, but you can't make a judgement on DDV yet, and how the heck can first impressions of a person be a negative? DJ is playing well above what any of us idiots thought, Horst didn't cut him for that reason.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#31 » by Treebeard » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:46 pm

jschligs wrote:
Treebeard wrote:Whacking Kidd (even if he had Eden's Okiedoke) was a power move and maybe gave him some more credibility with management at other teams.

I'll give Snell's contract, but you can't make a judgement on DDV yet, and how the heck can first impressions of a person be a negative? DJ is playing well above what any of us idiots thought, Horst didn't cut him for that reason.

To this point, the reported DDV v Huerter kerfuffle has been more about appearance than real substance. With DDV's injury, we haven't any new data to gone on, so scoring that pick will remain incomplete for a while. If DDV acquires a consistent shot on his return, the comp becomes moot. On Wilson, boy, many of us (myself included) were way wrong on his capability. Even if he doesn't improve from here, he's been a solid pick. However, this time last year into the beginning of this season, he looked like he did not belong on any NBA court, so kudos to Horst for riding out that potential flub.
MelbourneBuck
Junior
And1: 290

Post#32 » by MelbourneBuck » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:52 pm

More to a GMs job than just the transactions we see so hard to judge but he's been really good based on what information we do have.

A few mistakes but even the best GMs make bad decisions, it's impossible not to. If he can maintain a quality coaching and support staff and continue to make more good deals than bad we'll be in a very good position going forward.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#33 » by buckboy » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:30 pm

Horst is a mother ****.

Plain and simple.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#34 » by EastSideBucksFan » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:53 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:
Bucknado wrote:Maybe these billionaires who made their money on distressed assets actually know what they are doing.

now they do, took them a while though.

Well it took one guy (Edens) to impose his will on the rest of them, push out Zanik and hire Horst, and push to maneuver Bud here. Unless someone wants to go on the record correcting that, that's what seems to have happened from all reports over the past 18-months.

Too lazy to search the threads from 2014, but when those guys bought the Bucks, I remember commenting that it was good we had three billionaires because that way there would be some checks and balances versus a one owner model.

Horst pushed the boulder off the cliff when the time came to axe Kidd. Owners were good with it, but he initiated the process and was adamant there was no time left for the Kidd era and fired him hours before a game. That was his biggest first step.

Horst has been amazing since Bud arrived. I think that's a big part of his success, but he does deserve the credit for maneuvering the trade waters with other GMs and showing some high acumen with some moves around the fringes. Bledsoe trade was great, unloading Henson and Delly for Hill, getting a pick for helping out Wizards with Meeks and then swinging the big deal for Nikola Mirotic.

He's got a huge offseason ahead of him where the owners like Lasry are going to want to court Durant and Davis while Edens is reportedly, originally supposed to be handing off the Governorship to Lasry, but I have a feeling there will be some hesitation. Edens has pretty much hit big on every move he's wanted to make and Lasry has not quite with Kidd hire and advising against hiring Budenholzer. Curious how this power balance works out over the summer. Will be something to watch.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#35 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:59 pm

I want someone to bump the threads that absolutely buried the guy before he barely had a minute in the league.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#36 » by buckboy » Sat Feb 9, 2019 6:01 pm

I know I made fun of him for being unqualified, but was certainly willing to give him a chance.

He was kind of put behind the 8 ball considering what a **** show the process of hiring was.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
buckboy
RealGM

Post#37 » by buckboy » Sat Feb 9, 2019 6:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I want someone to bump the threads that absolutely buried the guy before he barely had a minute in the league.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1577525
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#38 » by DutchManDanFan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:38 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/09/no-drama-all-action-bucks-are-riveting-juggernaut-hiding-plain-sight/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cb5de009c77c
Interesting is the following:
“We’ve added positional size, toughness, and basketball IQ,” Horst said. “And we’ve done that while creating more than $20 million in cap flexibility to keep our starting five together if that’s the way we decide to go.”

This is something else than saying we'll definitely bring them all back!
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#39 » by Jez2983 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:58 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I want someone to bump the threads that absolutely buried the guy before he barely had a minute in the league.

Slow reply, but I was told that recently that people weren't getting stuck into Horst. My memories of course are contrary to this point of view.

He's been the DJ Wilson of GMs.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#40 » by Jez2983 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:45 am

Great contributions from Ersan and Hill tonight. Really looking forward to how Horst's final toy looks in this lineup
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"

Return to Milwaukee Bucks