ImageImage

PG: Bucks Beat Boston, Series Tied 1-1

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,949

Re: PG: Bucks Beat Boston, Series Tied 1-1 

Post#361 » by RiotPunch » Thu May 2, 2019 2:24 am

mattg wrote:I mean the pick and pop is the counter to drop coverage that we play. They also have a guy that happens to be killer at that shot in Horford. Not buying it being a Lopez problem as much as a scheme adjustment OR we just stay true to our principles and identity all season and ride it out. Giving that shot is the analytically correct play, and having Boston build their offense around that pick and pop vs. our juggernaut of an offense should be easy wins if we play to our potential.

Yes, he is a pick and pop assassin. And yes, analytically, that play is a shot to concede, MOST of the time. Not against this team. Take it away early. Definitely mix it up, play our trademark Brook sinking D too, but we saw what an aggressive, switch heavy D can do last night.

Really though, if Bled can just play like he did that 3rd quarter all the time, we should be good.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#362 » by thomchatt3rton » Thu May 2, 2019 2:28 am

hege53190 wrote:
bizarro wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
Agree. In fact, the spot where he posts-up is probably more important than the mismatch, since he can shoot over most guards/wings anyway. Run some quick-developing things to get him the ball down by the baseline, midrange. He loves that spot.
Getting him on mismatch AND also getting him down to a good spot is probably time-consuming for our pacing anyway.

Brook should be easy to get the ball to in good position on a favorable matchup. That's there all day if we want it- especially with defenses so focused on/worried about Giannis in the paint. I have no clue why we never use it.

The post-up is definitely a wrinkle that should be added. BUT, it's not a go to. I'd like to see them try it here and there with both Brook and Giannis and, honestly, I'd favor it to get Brook going. I personally feel the pick and pop play with Lopez is key. Screen Giannis high with that giant of a man and get him in more favorable one-on-one driving match-ups. My concern with Giannis in the dump-in is he is struggling mightily in the finishing department right now. The Celts are allowed to be uber physical and he's just missing almost everything or going to the line (not a bad thing when he shoots like he did last night). If you start him back-to-the-basket you are taking away what he is most comfortable with: space, face-on drives, and forward momentum and it takes away half the floor. He doesn't have a polished fade away or back-down game as of yet. I'd rather they continue doing what they did last night with the high screen work. Giannis is most dangerous going to the basket with the entire floor to work with. He simply needs to keep playing more controlled and finding his open teammates.

I also think getting Brook going in the post would be much more effective than Middleton. I think it would be so easy. Bud is way smarter than me but how hard would it be to run some actions where Brook pins Tatum and gets the ball 5-8 feet from the hoop. How doesn't that work? Giannis could even be the high side post to get his guy out of the lane and get an easy entry pass to Brook.

It doesn't have to be the go to offense or used more than a couple times a game but I am surprised I haven't seen that wrinkle for this series. It would at least make Boston think about the downside of guarding Brook with a SF.

Even though they're just "wrinkles" we would sprinkle in here and there, ideally we want any posting-up we do to accomplish more than just get us a bucket. It needs to also be an action that sets up other stuff for our offense- stuff we normally like to do (like bizarro said, set up Giannis drives). It needs to be integrated in the offense, not a deviation from it. Even if occasional.

Forcing a team to change their defense or personnel is another additional benefit. It's always good to impose your will on a team.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,896

Post#363 » by Plossum » Thu May 2, 2019 2:43 am

I’m fine with Horford bombing from deep if it means we can stifle Kyrie like we did last game.

It was interesting to see the Celts dissolve into iso ball as they fell behind. I think they’re front runners that play much better when ahead as opposed to chasing. If we can start well and get ahead we can really focus on our D bringing it home.
#LockUpChuck
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,049

Post#364 » by paulpressey25 » Thu May 2, 2019 4:07 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:I dunno, they were leaving Lopez wide open and he was taking/hitting the shots he always does. Don’t wanna just throw that away.

Yep. You just ride it for small parts and be ready to quickly switch up when needed, but you don’t shelve him completely. This isn’t like we’re talking about finding minutes for Henson or Thon.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#365 » by drew881 » Thu May 2, 2019 4:24 am

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but man did we find out their passing lanes in the second half and cause a hell of a lot of turnovers.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#366 » by thomchatt3rton » Thu May 2, 2019 5:17 am

drew881 wrote:Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but man did we find out their passing lanes in the second half and cause a hell of a lot of turnovers.

don't think anyone has, but I noticed that as well. I'm not acute enough to know if it was something schematic, or if we were just playing harder/faster/more confidently because we were playing well on O. Or maybe BOS was pressing a bit?

Do you think it had anything to do with switching? That would make sense to me intuitively, because there's less confusion with rotations on some plays. I have no idea.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,949

Post#367 » by soxperry » Thu May 2, 2019 7:49 am

I'm assuming they won't announce Brogdon is back until the last possible minute... but maybe they could just tell us and we keep it a secret.
MelbourneBuck
Junior
And1: 290

Post#368 » by MelbourneBuck » Thu May 2, 2019 8:15 am

Having Brogdon's driving would certainly help get behind Boston's wall or at very least put some doubt in Horford's mind. Hopefully he's not too out of sync when he does get back.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,502

Post#369 » by -Jragon- » Thu May 2, 2019 10:12 am

Just going to leave this here and let it marinate:

Boston road winning percentage: 68%
Boston home winning percentage: 59%

Takes:
We may have seen the best Boston has in game 1.

Let's win both of these and avoid that game 7.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#370 » by hege53190 » Thu May 2, 2019 11:14 am

-Jragon- wrote:Just going to leave this here and let it marinate:

Takes:

Game 1 was a perfect storm for them. The long lay off, the early start, the way the game was called, Bud refusing to adjust even as they lit us up from mid range. Perfect storm. Milwaukee was not ready for it.

I did not realize that Boston was that poor at home.
adambr2
Senior
And1: 234

Post#371 » by adambr2 » Thu May 2, 2019 12:05 pm

-Jragon- wrote:Just going to leave this here and let it marinate:

Takes:

I am not sure where you got this, but Boston was 28-13 at home this year (68% winning percentage), and 21-20 on the road (51% winning percentage).

Of course we are pretty darn good on the road at 27-14 (66% winning percentage), but the Celtics are no different than most teams in terms of home/road performance split.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#372 » by KidA24 » Thu May 2, 2019 1:31 pm

Tickpick has $30 tickets for tomorrow's game. Where you at, Boston?
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,944

Post#373 » by Perishable517 » Thu May 2, 2019 3:00 pm

soxperry wrote:...We played a Detroit team which, if it were prom, were giving it up on the limo ride to Applebees...

This is why I love the board.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#374 » by tedbrogen » Thu May 2, 2019 3:12 pm

KidA24 wrote:Tickpick has $30 tickets for tomorrow's game. Where you at, Boston?

That's just passes to their legends club bar or whatever. Doesn't even get you in the building. Have to have tickets outside that. Lowest price is 170something for third to last row in the building.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,021

Post#375 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 2, 2019 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter

JESUS.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#376 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu May 2, 2019 4:09 pm

Holy sh*t that ass-whoopin almost killed Danny Ainge. Take it easy on em Bucks!
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#377 » by emunney » Thu May 2, 2019 4:10 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

JESUS.

Yeesh, get well soon.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#378 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu May 2, 2019 4:11 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:Holy sh*t that ass-whoopin almost killed Danny Ainge. Take it easy on em Bucks!

Classy
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#379 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu May 2, 2019 4:16 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:Holy sh*t that ass-whoopin almost killed Danny Ainge. Take it easy on em Bucks!

Classy

sorry man.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#380 » by ackypoo » Thu May 2, 2019 4:16 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:

Classy

lol. shut up and learn how to take a joke.

he didnt almost die. its called hyperbole you jackass.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks