ImageImage

JS: A look back at Save Our Bucks

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

askdavescat
Senior
And1: 43

Re: JS: A look back at Save Our Bucks 

Post#21 » by askdavescat » Wed May 15, 2019 6:38 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Realize some may think SOB had nothing to do with Kohl’s decision to sell. Personally believe it was the straw that eventually pushed him to finally put the team on the market. And if the team doesn’t get on the market before the Clippers sale, the sale price might have been too high for someone to buy it and keep it in Milwaukee.

I think anyone who doesn't acknowledge that the billboard was what pushed Kohl over the edge to selling the team is playing contrarian just to be a contrarian. I will always believe that billboard was absolutely the catalyst for the Bucks being sold.
JackSIKMA43
Bench Warmer
And1: 847

Post#22 » by JackSIKMA43 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 pm

I forgot what year it was, but there was a game or two when people wore paper bags over their heads and walked past Kohl in his seat, and I'd have to believe that was the beginning of when he knew the entire franchise was in disarray and that he'd need to sell at some point soon, etc. It is amazing to me how far they've come in what is seriously a short period of time.

Just five years ago, I'd go to a Saturday night home game with a half-empty arena, and any Bucks gear you could find at the game, or online stores, was a joke. Look at them now. It's crazy and a complete transformation.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#23 » by Jez2983 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm

JackSIKMA43 wrote:I forgot what year it was, but there was a game or two when people wore paper bags over their heads and walked past Kohl in his seat, and I'd have to believe that was the beginning of when he knew the entire franchise was in disarray and that he'd need to sell at some point soon, etc. It is amazing to me how far they've come in what is seriously a short period of time.

Just five years ago, I'd go to a Saturday night home game with a half-empty arena, and any Bucks gear you could find at the game, or online stores, was a joke. Look at them now. It's crazy and a complete transformation.

Midranger mentioned it earlier this thread. Those people walk among us, one probably still has his Reuben Patterson jersey.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#24 » by engelmartin » Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 pm

All I have to say is that I made way too many tshirts, and not nearly enough XLs, XXLs, or XXXLs. Ps: I donated the majority of it to the MacFund.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#25 » by paulpressey25 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 pm

engelmartin wrote:All I have to say is that I made way too many tshirts, and not nearly enough XLs, XXLs, or XXXLs. Ps: I donated the majority of it to the MacFund.

Do you have any of those left?
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
engelmartin
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by engelmartin » Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
engelmartin wrote:All I have to say is that I made way too many tshirts, and not nearly enough XLs, XXLs, or XXXLs. Ps: I donated the majority of it to the MacFund.

Do you have any of those left?

I have a bunch but they're smalls and mediums.
Miasma
Rookie
And1: 1,422

Post#27 » by Miasma » Thu May 16, 2019 5:39 am

Truly inspirational group here

vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#28 » by vegaspacker » Thu May 16, 2019 3:32 pm

I met Austin and Kenny King last year at a gig I was hosting. Nice cats, spoke about Realgm with Aries and he said he lurks but doesn't post much. Go Bucks. There's a few more deets but nothing warranting disclosure.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#29 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu May 16, 2019 3:49 pm

You came thru big time with those shirts. Key component of getting SaveOurBucks out there.

Kurt and wife sitting courtside in Phoenix got some good pub from that first run of shirts.

Huge and clutch contribution
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#30 » by vegaspacker » Thu May 16, 2019 3:54 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:

You came thru big time with those shirts. Key component of getting SaveOurBucks out there.

Kurt and wife sitting courtside in Phoenix got some good pub from that first run of shirts.

Huge and clutch contribution
Yeah, keep those things. We could re-purpose those and make it psuedo fashionista stuffs.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
The Rodzilla
Starter
And1: 2,332

Post#31 » by The Rodzilla » Thu May 16, 2019 5:26 pm

when people used to reference 'save our bucks' on here I just assumed they were talking about the 2016 free agency when the bucks signed delly to replace mcw, never knew the real story, interesting stuff
engelmartin
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by engelmartin » Thu May 16, 2019 10:47 pm

The Rodzilla wrote:when people used to reference 'save our bucks' on here I just assumed they were talking about the 2016 free agency when the bucks signed delly to replace mcw, never knew the real story, interesting stuff

Delly was definitely responsible for "changing the culture."
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#33 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu May 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Will bump this since the story has been updated and has made it to print edition today.

Also, someone on here recently said that SOB had zero impact and here we are touted as the pioneers of the arena push.

Read on Twitter
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#34 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu May 23, 2019 2:58 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Will bump this since the story has been updated and has made it to print edition today.

Also, someone on here recently said that SOB had zero impact and here we are touted as the pioneers of the arena push.

Read on Twitter

I'm guessing you're referring to my post from a different thread. Look, I'm not here to diminish the efforts of SOB. As I said, I was fully behind the movement at the time. Even ponied up some dough for the billboard. Hoped it would help change the insane "squeak into the playoffs and anything can happen" mentality. But the actions of the front office would suggest that the message was either not received, or simply ignored. And the fact of the matter is most cities with professional sports teams could be considered "sleeping giants" as fairweather fandom is a real thing. Winning puts butts in the seats. Hell, Milwaukee loved us some Ray, Sam, and Big Dog in the early 2000's. Not sure there was ever any real concern that the city wasn't a big enough market to support a franchise. I'm very surprised about that particular line. Its always ever been about winning. Did you see what Packers tickets were going for when Rodgers was hurt? Or the dark ages of Brewers baseball? I mean I appreciate that you put a lot of hours into this thing, I do. But I appreciate Giannis and Billionaires with a B! just a tad more. :D

Return to Milwaukee Bucks