Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,869

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1281 » by humanrefutation » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:08 pm

trwi7 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I don't doubt that The Athletic has some good stuff, but it has been doomed from the get-go. Once they run out of VC, like was pointed out, they won't be able to keep their journalists without raising rates. And they already can't get enough people to subscribe - raising rates won't help. They just aren't profitable.

They also opened up saying they were so much different from newspapers and they would have so many in depth stories that you couldn't find anywhere else.

Well, all they did was hire a bunch of writers from newspapers and they have maybe one in depth story that's interesting and worth reading a month and that's really not even close to worth it.

I've found more than one story a month worth reading. Their Liverpool beat writer who they stole from the Liverpool Echo has written a half dozen stories in the past month which were really interesting (including his retrospective on the Brendan Rodgers era in anticipation of our game against them last Saturday). Adding McGinn to the Packers beat was clutch. Their Bucks beat is better than what we've gotten from the MJS in quite a while, IMO.

To me, the advantage to a site like The Athletic is that it gives you a one-stop-shop for all of the sports you follow instead of forcing you to subscribe to multiple different websites and papers. Whether it's profitable in the long run or collapses under its own weight remains to be seen. I hope it succeeds, because it's not like the folks they've hired are going to be able to find decent-paying gigs at newspapers or magazines anymore.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#1282 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:43 pm

Have we hit peak 'unicorn' as an adjective yet? I'm really tired of hearing and seeing that word everywhere.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#1283 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:08 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Have we hit peak 'unicorn' as an adjective yet? I'm really tired of hearing and seeing that word everywhere.

I liked how in the Ringer article they stated flatly how Brook wasn't a unicorn...then went on to describe in detail exactly how exactly like a unicorn he is.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,358

Post#1284 » by emunney » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:31 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Have we hit peak 'unicorn' as an adjective yet? I'm really tired of hearing and seeing that word everywhere.

I think it peaked a year or two ago and is passé now.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#1285 » by Mags FTW » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:37 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:I was selected in the Ryder Cup ticket lottery. Is it worth the trouble to buy these with the intent to resell, or should I let my golf-loving friends in on the action?

I was too. If my parents didn't get selected I'm just gonna let them use the code.

I was there for the PGA. Beautiful course but tough as a spectator as is the case with links courses. It would still be cool to attend a Ryder Cup. And since the PGA was moved to May there will be no more of those at Whistling Straights

Do the practices usually sell out? Is it worth buying them to try and resell?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1286 » by humanrefutation » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:16 pm

Let me get ya'll's opinion about something:

A couple days ago, I got an invite to interview for a job that requires me to list three references, with two of them having to be supervisors, I've already got two references in mind, including a former boss I'm still tight with. But the issue is finding the other supervisory reference. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to list my current boss down? I have a really good relationship with my boss - to the point that she's told me before that she wouldn't screw me over if she had to give a reference. But I'm obviously a bit nervous about putting her down in case I doesn't get an offer and this is used against me in the future - I could see some passive-aggressive vibes. I don't really have anyone else to choose from, as I've been reporting to this person for years and anyone else was so long ago that it wouldn't make sense to use them.

My thought is that I should put her down and just ask my potential employer to give me a head's up if they're moving to reference checks. That way, I can let my boss know beforehand. At that point, if they're moving to reference checks, they're probably ready to give me an offer, anyway.

What say you?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#1287 » by crkone » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:27 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Let me get ya'll's opinion about something:

A couple days ago, I got an invite to interview for a job that requires me to list three references, with two of them having to be supervisors, I've already got two references in mind, including a former boss I'm still tight with. But the issue is finding the other supervisory reference. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to list my current boss down? I have a really good relationship with my boss - to the point that she's told me before that she wouldn't screw me over if she had to give a reference. But I'm obviously a bit nervous about putting her down in case I doesn't get an offer and this is used against me in the future - I could see some passive-aggressive vibes. I don't really have anyone else to choose from, as I've been reporting to this person for years and anyone else was so long ago that it wouldn't make sense to use them.

My thought is that I should put her down and just ask my potential employer to give me a head's up if they're moving to reference checks. That way, I can let my boss know beforehand. At that point, if they're moving to reference checks, they're probably ready to give me an offer, anyway.

What say you?

I would never put down a current supervisor unless it was a great friend who knew that I was not long for that job. There are just so many issues that can come up from letting them know you are looking for another job. If you can find anyone who ever outranked you in the past in any position, I would go with them. You might be able to just get away with two with the caveat that you have been in the same position for years and it wouldn't be right to use your current supervisor.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,530

Post#1288 » by chonestown » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Errol Spence Jr was the driver in a single-car high speed wreck this morning at 3:00 am. His Ferrari went over the median, flipped five times and ejected him from the car. In intensive care, but expected to survive. The car looks as bad as you would imagine.

I didn't post after the Porter-ESJ fight, but that was a definite FOTY candidate, largely due to how brilliantly Porter fought. I had ESJ winning, but the fight was conducted on Porter's terms. Watch it if you have a chance.

Whew. I'm having a hard time with this one.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
JoeyMorgan619
Rookie
And1: 1,767

Post#1289 » by JoeyMorgan619 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:51 pm

What say you?

Do people actually ever use the references? I always thought it was kind of dumb because of course you are only going to put down people that will say good things about you. I think I have had one employer ever reach out to a reference I put. I really doubt they would reach out to all 3 anyways, but yeah, I would avoid putting down my current supervisor. Them knowing you are willing to leave can't do anything but make things worse.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,829

Post#1290 » by jschligs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:44 pm

The only time I've had references contacted was to verify I actually did what I said I did, not to give input on my character.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1291 » by humanrefutation » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:14 pm

JoeyMorgan619 wrote:

What say you?

Do people actually ever use the references? I always thought it was kind of dumb because of course you are only going to put down people that will say good things about you. I think I have had one employer ever reach out to a reference I put. I really doubt they would reach out to all 3 anyways, but yeah, I would avoid putting down my current supervisor. Them knowing you are willing to leave can't do anything but make things worse.

jschligs wrote:The only time I've had references contacted was to verify I actually did what I said I did, not to give input on my character.

Well, I know my current employer does, because I know they called all three of my references way-back-when, and I'm often solicited to sit on our hiring committees and have been directed to contact references. I've served as a reference for others in the past and have received the call. Some have a basic script of simple questions they ask. Others go into more detail.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,829

Post#1292 » by jschligs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Yea I'm sure it's all over the board. Either way I think I agree with skones and your initial hesitation. I just wouldn't want to muddy the waters with a current supervisor. Best of luck!
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,313

Post#1293 » by crkone » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Here's something that grind my gears. Putting your garbage cart down to the curb and someone parks their bumper on it (with plenty of other spots to choose and parked illegally within two feet of my driveway). And with my city's stupid rules that they won't get out of their garbage truck to move the cart away from the car they just don't end up picking it up.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,543

Post#1294 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Shanghai has been pretty interesting. Fans of the up-and-comers will be happy to see that Federer and Djokovic were knocked-out in the quarters, and the semis features Tsitsipas, Zverev, Medvedev, and Berrettini.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1295 » by humanrefutation » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Just about to hit up my 10th OT class. My biggest issue thus far has been trying to figure out how to fit it into my schedule, as the classes are set at certain times and they have pretty limited weekend offerings. But I'm trying to go 2-3x a week.

Those first three or four classes had be limping for a couple days afterwards. But I've already noticed meaningful improvement in my fitness, and so I'm motivated to keep going.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1296 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Coco Gauff just won her first title. This girl (literally...15) is NOT a flash in the pan. Linz is not a big tournament, but a handful of big names did play. She beat Ostapenko in the final, and Kiki Bertens on the way there.

Seems like she has a good family around her, too. Really excited for her career.

ETA: Also, Daniil Medvedev is scorching the earth the second half of this season.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,372

Post#1297 » by blazza18 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:15 pm

I think Medvedev might have the talent and mind to be the next "guy" in the men's game. Dude is ruthless.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1298 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Wisconsin volleyball struggled early in the season, but is absolutely rolling right now. Since losing twice to Washington, they've beaten Purdue, Penn St, Nebraska, and now Minnesota for the first time since 2014. Now they head into the easy portion of their schedule.
MrHoneycutt
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#1299 » by MrHoneycutt » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:54 pm

jschligs wrote:The only time I've had references contacted was to verify I actually did what I said I did, not to give input on my character.

I think it's pretty dependent on one's chosen field, I always have to give 3-5 references to speak on my behalf in detail.

I'd be hesitant to give a current supervisor as well, even if they are understanding I'd be leery of the conflict of interest they may have in giving you the glowing review that you'd like. Hope all goes well!
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,902

Post#1300 » by Bucksfan28 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:29 am

All for Medvedev being next up in the men's game. Big fan of his.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks