OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,980

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1641 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:18 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:Whose got a white chicken chili recipe for me?

Ooof. I hadn't made it in a while so I looked for one that was keto friendly and I made a huge dog of a recipe this week. I can't even think of the last thing I've made that just flat out sucked and this one bruised me.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,941

Post#1642 » by humanrefutation » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:20 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

Ooof. I hadn't made it in a while so I looked for one that was keto friendly and I made a huge dog of a recipe this week. I can't even think of the last thing I've made that just flat out sucked and this one bruised me.

That's a rough feeling, especially if you put a lot of work into it.

The last time I did that, it was a baked Mac and Cheese I brought to a Thanksgiving party with some friends a few years back. You know that it wasn't well received when you come back to the pan and 90% of it is still sitting there. It's goddamn mac and cheese! Who wouldn't love it? The recipe had great reviews!

And then I took a bite. Oof. I still have no idea what I did wrong. But apparently, everyone else took a bite and said no thanks, and I didn't blame them.

The worst thing I've seen is a friend who asked if he could cook a rack of beef ribs I bought for a party he was hosting. He really sold his cooking skills, and had an interesting recipe. I said go for it.

He ruined those ribs. I'm still annoyed to this day.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,980

Post#1643 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:40 am

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

The last time I did that, it was a baked Mac and Cheese I brought to a Thanksgiving party with some friends a few years back. You know that it wasn't well received when you come back to the pan and 90% of it is still sitting there. It's goddamn mac and cheese! Who wouldn't love it? The recipe had great reviews!

And then I took a bite. Oof. I still have no idea what I did wrong. But apparently, everyone else took a bite and said no thanks, and I didn't blame them.

The worst thing I've seen is a friend who asked if he could cook a rack of beef ribs I bought for a party he was hosting. He really sold his cooking skills, and had an interesting recipe. I said go for it.

So my thing is literally the first time I was living on my own in Wausau and I was gonna try and make a family recipe of potato soup. It could not have gone worse.

That was over 15 years ago and everything since then has been pretty great. I'm I very good chef.

But this week I was looking for an easy keto chicken chili and I couldn't believe how bad it was. Minimal stock, no veggies but a couple cans of green chilis, SO MUCH CHEESE.

It was by far the worst thing I've ever made.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1644 » by humanrefutation » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:07 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

So my thing is literally the first time I was living on my own in Wausau and I was gonna try and make a family recipe of potato soup. It could not have gone worse.

That was over 15 years ago and everything since then has been pretty great. I'm I very good chef.

But this week I was looking for an easy keto chicken chili and I couldn't believe how bad it was. Minimal stock, no veggies but a couple cans of green chilis, SO MUCH CHEESE.

It was by far the worst thing I've ever made.

Yikes. That doesn't sound good at all.

Keto's got to make that harder to make well.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#1645 » by trwi7 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:07 am

Holy **** you guys. First Admirals game of the year.

They decided to put in metal detectors. There were 4 to get almost 9,000 through the doors which means the line was backed up outside the building. The good news is they must have retrained every usher because all of them kept people in the concourse when play was going on until there was a whistle. The guy in my section even told a woman to get off the steps because she was blocking the view of people in front of her.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,661

Post#1646 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Wisconsin/Nebraska on ESPNU for the Final Four. Tune in.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#1647 » by trwi7 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:29 pm

It's ridiculous how stacked Big Ten volleyball is.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,648

Post#1648 » by chonestown » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:43 pm

As if to add more to the sports plate, very good boxing card on regular-ass espn tonight. Bud Crawford is fighting a bum for the headliner - which shouldn't dissuade you from watching it because it's Bud Fking Crawford - but the real draw is Teofimo Lopez squaring off against Richard Commey. Lopez had a string of frightening knockouts derailed with a frustrating performance in his last bout that he managed to grind out to decision. This one has the potential to rocket him into the boxing stratosphere or keep him relegated to the tier below. If he wins, pray for a matchup against Lomachenko. It's probably my most anticipated fight that can reasonably happen considering promoter bullsht.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,661

Post#1649 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:36 am

Dana Rettke complete takeover. Jesus.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#1650 » by trwi7 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:38 am

Sweep. On to the Final Four.

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1651 » by humanrefutation » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:00 am

Teofimo. Wow.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Post#1652 » by crkone » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:08 am

Don't think I've ever seen Tiger as happy as he was when the US won the Presidents Cup.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
chonestown
General Manager

Post#1653 » by chonestown » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Teofimo. Wow.

April. Loma. If only this was the way boxing normally operated.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-DCB
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1654 » by humanrefutation » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:52 pm

chonestown wrote:

That's gonna be a helluva fight. Loma's got a chin but Teofimo has got a **** sledgehammer for a punch. I expected Commey to give him a lot more before getting blasted.

Teofimo-Loma and Fury-Wilder are incredibly exciting.
chonestown
General Manager

Post#1655 » by chonestown » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:34 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
chonestown wrote:

That's gonna be a helluva fight. Loma's got a chin but Teofimo has got a **** sledgehammer for a punch. I expected Commey to give him a lot more before getting blasted.

Both are great.

I watched the Bud fight on Sunday morning and that was great, too. The lesson taught is don't make Bud angry. Sounds like Porter is the most likely opponent for Bud and if Porter can replicate his performance against ESJ, that has instant classic written all over it. I'd love if ESJ could regain a semblance of form by fall of next year, but who knows at this point. I wonder what sort of chin he'll have post-crash and that's part of what made him such an unflappable ring presence. As such, I have Bud as the clear #1 at WW.

-DCB
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1656 » by humanrefutation » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:51 pm

chonestown wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
chonestown wrote:

Both are great.

I watched the Bud fight on Sunday morning and that was great, too. The lesson taught is don't make Bud angry. Sounds like Porter is the most likely opponent for Bud and if Porter can replicate his performance against ESJ, that has instant classic written all over it. I'd love if ESJ could regain a semblance of form by fall of next year, but who knows at this point. I wonder what sort of chin he'll have post-crash and that's part of what made him such an unflappable ring presence. As such, I have Bud as the clear #1 at WW.

Bud hasn't impressed me as much during these last two fights. He's been sloppy and better fighters could have put his ass to sleep, IMO. He can't leave himself exposed against a Porter or a full-strength ESJ.
chonestown
General Manager

Post#1657 » by chonestown » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:15 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Bud hasn't impressed me as much during these last two fights. He's been sloppy and better fighters could have put his ass to sleep, IMO. He can't leave himself exposed against a Porter or a full-strength ESJ.

I've fallen on the nay side of Bud as the P4P King, but I think Bud laps the division ATM. ESJ is my dude, but I'm very much wait-and-see with him for all of 2020. Porter had the fight of his life against Spence and showcased exemplary footwork that was nowhere in evidence prior. Maybe he's a new fighter - which would be GREAT - but he's always been a frenetic rough-houser otherwise. New Shawn Porter is a force to be reckoned with. Shawn Porter through the bulk of his career is a headache to deal with but not a worldbeater. I'd feel more secure predicting he's the latter.

I'm simply going to write off a timely Bud-ESJ bout. Between promoter BS, Spence's rehab, Bud's age and his rumored move up in weight, the window is diminishing. The time to hold it was this year.

-DCB
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1658 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:41 pm

Allow me a random rant here as I do once every few months.

Holidays when you have kids but also have divorced parents that refuse to be in the same room as each other suck ass.

My brother basically was like, "we're flying in by you guys for the week." Cool.

"I told [parents] to come up there, too for all of those days."

I am a 100% "have a general set of plans, go with the flow" type of person. I am sitting here with each family entity trying to pull me in different directions to plan **** so that they can be with the grandkids but also not near each other. Every day is a new change of plans. This is stupid and I told my brother to never do this again. Also it is cool that people in their mid 60s can be so immature.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,723

Post#1659 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Going off memory on this so it may change...

Norma's Chili

2 lbs chicken breast, cooked and shredded
(the recipe actually calls for boiling the chicken but slow cooker or oven work fine)
2 cups chicken broth
1 sm container sour cream
1 can diced green chilis
1 can Rotel
1 sm yellow onion
1/2 cup (or more...I like cheese) Monterey Jack cheese
2 tbs Oregano

Pretty sure that's it...or close to it. Dice up the onion, cook until translucent. Add chilis and cook a few minutes. Add broth, Rotel, Oregano, chicken and simmer for about 30 min. Add sour cream in bunches and stir until it mixes in. Add cheese and stir until it melts. Serve.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Post#1660 » by crkone » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Allow me a random rant here as I do once every few months.

Holidays when you have kids but also have divorced parents that refuse to be in the same room as each other suck ass.

My brother basically was like, "we're flying in by you guys for the week." Cool.

"I told [parents] to come up there, too for all of those days."

I am a 100% "have a general set of plans, go with the flow" type of person. I am sitting here with each family entity trying to pull me in different directions to plan **** so that they can be with the grandkids but also not near each other. Every day is a new change of plans. This is stupid and I told my brother to never do this again. Also it is cool that people in their mid 60s can be so immature.

My rant is the cost of braces. Had a place quote nearly $7000 for basic metal braces. Can't believe we have to shop around for braces since I've heard from others that the cost should be exactly half of that.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks