ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1841 » by jute2003 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:20 pm

I've got it in my head that I want to go to Bergen Norway. The city looks amazing and has an incredible amount of history.
only a fan, only an opinion
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1842 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:11 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
jschligs wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
I'm thinking of traveling to Europe this year. Any recommendations on where to go from you all? My original plan was to pull a London-Paris swing over a week and then next year split a week between Barcelona-Madrid. I've also got Istanbul on my short list, too.

I'd be open to other suggestions.

Have you been anywhere in Europe before? That could change recommendations.

I have not, which is why my first thoughts were a bit cliche. A UK trip will be a must for me because I'd love to see London and try to do a day trip to Liverpool as well. Then I figure take a train from London to Paris and spend a few days eating and sightseeing. But that doesn't have to be #1 on my list.

I'm a massive fan of Switzerland and that Bavarian area. If you are an adventurer trying Canyoning in Interlaken. Stayed at a hostel and had a massive adventure doing that.

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#1843 » by BUCKnation » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Whiteman wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I'm thinking of traveling to Europe this year. Any recommendations on where to go from you all? My original plan was to pull a London-Paris swing over a week and then next year split a week between Barcelona-Madrid. I've also got Istanbul on my short list, too.

Strasbourg or Granada, or similar places with a strong regional feel. Drawback is that you spend more time traveling, but the experience is quite different from that of the major cities, which all feel kind of the same imho.

Granada is definitely on my shortlist - I have to see Alhambra.

Kind of hard to do a day trip to Pool from London (its 2.5 hrs away by train). I'd personally recommend basing your stay in Manchester then taking the train the over. Manchester is a fun city to spend a day/night in. Then you could fly out of Manchester, which has a bunch of easy jet/ryan or whatever flights to other European stops.

London is one of my favorite cities, and I've done the London to Manchester train a couple of times now and its really easy and usually cheap.

Munich would be my other rec for a city. It's amazing there.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1844 » by stellation » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 pm

This article is an interesting musing on the invasion that changes in technology have made to our lives. Nothing particularly new, but (very) well written and touches on the nature of intrusion without being particularly judgemental on those who allow it.

Worth the read if you have 10 minutes to spare. Has anyone else stumbled upon something interesting to read lately? Always keen for good medium-long reads. :)
#FreeChuckDiesel
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#1845 » by Beorn » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:45 pm

Re @Europe

If anyone wants info on the non-ultratouristic places in central and east europe, I am here.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,096

Post#1846 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:10 pm

Anybody have anything good for foot sweat? I have never had a problem with sweaty feet and all of a sudden it feels like there are puddles in my shoes everyday.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,285

Post#1847 » by Finn » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm

Use it every day

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1848 » by Mags FTW » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:32 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:Anybody have anything good for foot sweat? I have never had a problem with sweaty feet and all of a sudden it feels like there are puddles in my shoes everyday.

Bring a change of socks with you to work. Also maybe look into a different type of sock.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#1849 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:43 am

I learned today that the guy who makes my custom suits in Milwaukee - Nas Laine at NL Suits - also makes suits for Marques Johnson and Steve Novak. He showed me a couple of the jackets Marques was going to be picking up tomorrow.

If you're in the market for a custom suit/shirt/pants/etc, check them out. Really nice quality and very reasonable prices for custom clothes.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#1850 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:04 am

humanrefutation wrote:I learned today that the guy who makes my custom suits in Milwaukee - Nas Laine at NL Suits - also makes suits for Marques Johnson and Steve Novak. He showed me a couple of the jackets Marques was going to be picking up tomorrow.

If you're in the market for a custom suit/shirt/pants/etc, check them out. Really nice quality and very reasonable prices for custom clothes.

I love that you get suits made. Tailoring is a dying art. I’m big into menswear and style and supporting tailors keeps the tradition alive.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#1851 » by midranger » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 am

I’ve bought a suit from Nas. Great experience.

Custom suits are the way to go. I think the low end ones at NL are like 500. Not cheap, but not unattainable
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#1852 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:33 am

midranger wrote:I’ve bought a suit from Nas. Great experience.

Custom suits are the way to go. I think the low end ones at NL are like 500. Not cheap, but not unattainable

$500 is reasonable depending on weight/type of fabric and if it’s fused or full/half canvassed.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#1853 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:49 am

Iheartfootball wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I learned today that the guy who makes my custom suits in Milwaukee - Nas Laine at NL Suits - also makes suits for Marques Johnson and Steve Novak. He showed me a couple of the jackets Marques was going to be picking up tomorrow.

I love that you get suits made. Tailoring is a dying art. I’m big into menswear and style and supporting tailors keeps the tradition alive.

Thanks man. It's definitely hard for me to find the right fit off the rack. I've bought a couple sport coats that way and they only fit sorta well. Most of my best clothes have small fit flaws that I don't like. With an in-person tailoring experience, you have a sense of security that your clothes will fit you just right. And it's can be plain addictive to have a ton of freedom in designing your clothing.

It's pricier, certainly. The first time I went there, I dropped about $700 on a suit (their baseline is $495 - I bought a step up fabric wise and got a custom lining). But it fit so well when I picked it up that I immediately planned to order another suit, a couple sport coats, several shirts, a couple vests, and an overcoat. I just picked up the shirts today and they look great.

For the sake of comparison, it's probably about 50% pricier than these online custom places like MTailor and Indochino, and certainly more expensive than buying off the rack at a place like Men's Wearhouse. But it's also about half as much as the prices from almost any other custom clothing brick and mortor shop that I've visited. I think that's reasonable if you can afford it. I can't for the bulk of my wardrobe, but for a few select pieces for more professional/formal settings, I can do it.

Plus Nas and Kelsey are real good dudes to work with. They're great salesmen without being pushy. They have good senses of style.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,392

Post#1854 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:50 am

You definitely shouldn't skimp on a suit. I rarely have a need to wear one so I only have one (Armani). It's way too big on me and I should definitely get a new one. This sounds like the place.

I've gone from having to wear a suit every day to tie but no jacket to business casual to jeans. Hell we can wear shorts in the summer.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#1855 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:55 am

humanrefutation wrote:I'm thinking of traveling to Europe this year. Any recommendations on where to go from you all? My original plan was to pull a London-Paris swing over a week and then next year split a week between Barcelona-Madrid. I've also got Istanbul on my short list, too.

Istanbul is by far my favourite city and I've been in most big cities in Europe. It's the only city (I can think of) that was built from scratch to be the capital of an Empire, and it shows, especially the historical center is just majestic. Fun fact: what is the most visited tourist attraction in the world? The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul with 91m annual visitors :o
Imagine a giant covered shopping center but built 600 years ago.

But then again I love their food and history and I have personal ties to this city from my ancestors so I know it's unlikely to be the same experience for everybody.

As with everything else in Europe you kinda have to go prepared and curious to appreciate it, for example people who love Paris are usually people who are into history, architecture, French language and culture, otherwise yeah it might seem like just another big city, with locals who are little bit more rude than usual. Same for most of Italy, you kinda have to already love it before you go otherwise it might just seem messy and hectic. If you want picturesque then anything around the Alps (incl Venice of course) is usually pretty mindblowing, and so is Greece in the summer. Culturally and socially pretty much anywhere in North Europe is where it's at, just to observe the way they've organised their cities and their lives, which is usually what the rest of the world aspires to. Ireland and Scotland are also great and different in many ways, plus you have the advantage that they speak English (kind of LOL). I was never a fan of England and central Europe personally, I just find them boring. East Europe and Slav countries are a whole different chapter, with unexpectedly a lot of Americans who absolutely loved some of them and even stayed for years. If you can make your way to St Petersburg definitely do it, can't begin to describe how beautiful this city is.

So yeah maybe start from thinking what you looking for. Europe is very diverse, in some places you can easily cross 3-4 countries by car in one day, and literally most things change as soon as you cross that border.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1856 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 am

Lol for anyone who paid for McGregor fight
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#1857 » by buckboy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:11 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Lol for anyone who paid for McGregor fight

The bar I was at bought it. Oops.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1858 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:02 pm

buckboy wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Lol for anyone who paid for McGregor fight

The bar I was at bought it. Oops.

That's always the risk with boxing and MMA but 40 seconds....geez
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1859 » by Mags FTW » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 pm

How does a guy with 13 losses end up in the main event? I don't watch MMA.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,096

Post#1860 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:50 am

Upstairs neighbors used our washing machine even though they have their own. I didn't catch them in the act but know for sure they did. The very next load I run and the machine takes a dump.

**** done with duplexes.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks