OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,922

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#761 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:14 pm

Anyone have an online spice merchant they recommend?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,367

Post#762 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Anyone have an online spice merchant they recommend?

https://www.penzeys.com/
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,307

Post#763 » by Mags FTW » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:45 pm

trwi7 wrote:

If you're goin to shop Penzey's, sign up for the e-mail list. They are always giving away 1/4 Cup jars of certain things, or selling them for $1.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,640

Post#764 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

If you're goin to shop Penzey's, sign up for the e-mail list. They are always giving away 1/4 Cup jars of certain things, or selling them for $1.

I'm glad this was brought up because I've been looking for an online retailer, too. Spice Island prices seem to keep rising for some reason which is annoying.

Pictures can be deceiving, and I know spices differ by weight, so do you guys know if Penzeys' 1/2 cup jar is the rough equivalent of the Spice Island jars? Do they come with shaker tops or is it an open jar?

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,367

Post#765 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:

I'm glad this was brought up because I've been looking for an online retailer, too. Spice Island prices seem to keep rising for some reason which is annoying.

Pictures can be deceiving, and I know spices differ by weight, so do you guys know if Penzeys' 1/2 cup jar is the rough equivalent of the Spice Island jars? Do they come with shaker tops or is it an open jar?

Most of the spices come with shaker tops. Things like coarse cut celery flake don't but anything that's like a powder does.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,934

Post#766 » by humanrefutation » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:

Nah, they look about half that size.

Penzeys is alright. It's a bit pricey depending on what you're getting, but the quality is good. Their chili spice mixes are really good.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#767 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:11 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Nah, they look about half that size.

Penzeys is alright. It's a bit pricey depending on what you're getting, but the quality is good. Their chili spice mixes are really good.

The 1/2 cup jar is still half the size? It looks like there are both 1/2 and 1/4 cup jars, so just making sure I follow.

ETA: I don't know why, but my last post broke the forum so I deleted it.

Gist of it - I Googled and someone had done a spice jar size comparison (because internet). It looks like the larger jar is roughly the same size, maybe slightly smaller.

Thanks for the input guys (and sorry to hijack DB).
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,307

Post#768 » by Mags FTW » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:42 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:

The 1/2 cup jar is still half the size? It looks like there are both 1/2 and 1/4 cup jars, so just making sure I follow.

ETA: I don't know why, but my last post broke the forum so I deleted it.

Gist of it - I Googled and someone had done a spice jar size comparison (because internet). It looks like the larger jar is roughly the same size, maybe slightly smaller.

Thanks for the input guys (and sorry to hijack DB).

Some of their stuff comes in bulk bags, making them way cheaper than the jars. You just need to buy that first jar to keep refilling, or use a blank one. I have bags of stuff I use a lot like Taco Seasoning, Chip Dip, Cocoa Powder, etc.
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#769 » by jmart762 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:18 am

If anyone is looking for a podcast to listen to, I've liked Grubstakers. It's about billionaires, and summarizes how they got to be so wealthy. They are not praising them, at all, but bringing to light how immoral many of them are. I listened to the Jay-Z, Jeffrey Epstein ones, Kylie Jenner, and Elon Musk episodes today. It's good to know imo. And it's not all doom and drear, they make a lot of jokes to keep it entertaining.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#770 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:52 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:

I'm eyeballing it tbh. I've bought both half and quarter size jars from Penzeys but I've never gotten anything from Spice Island. Hopefully it works for you.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#771 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Tonight feels like a steak night. My dad, who is always on the lookout for good deals on meat, found some prime NY strips for $7.99 a pound and sent a few with me. Beautiful marbling. I went ahead and vacuum sealed them and will be dropping one in sous vide water bath when I get home tonight.

Can't wait.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#772 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:03 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Tonight feels like a steak night. My dad, who is always on the lookout for good deals on meat, found some prime NY strips for $7.99 a pound and sent a few with me. Beautiful marbling. I went ahead and vacuum sealed them and will be dropping one in sous vide water bath when I get home tonight.

Can't wait.

Good man. I love when I come across those rare deals. I always pick up enough to fill a good part of my freezer.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#773 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:35 pm

So a week before my wedding on the 10th my fiance called it off.

She missed living alone for the first time and it scared her. I'm really glad she called it off. In the wake of that decision it's made me realize how much I bent over backwards for her in every way. How I had to compromise on everything and she didn't compromise at all, not even once, even when it had fundamental issues with me behind it (I don't like spending massive amounts of time with groups of people because I get anxious, don't like to close down bars anymore, I like sports and videogames).

Myself and my family paid for literally everything for the wedding and we're not getting a dime back.

The last straw came this morning (we were gonna stay together and work on things, even though she's been a **** nightmare since the week before the wedding). She felt slighted on social media when my sister and SIL unfollowed her (they were right to do so, she was flagrantly happy on IG over the weekend we were supposed to be getting married) and she LOST HER MIND. She lives for affirmation on IG. For two days I've listened to her insult my family, say she never wants to see them again, that she wants both our families out of our relationship. But this morning the second her mom wants to meet with us (interrogate me) she asks me if I'd do that. I called her a hypocrite, said there was no way I'd be doing that. I left for work, found a new apartment with my current landlord, and texted her I was done with this bulls*it and I was done trying so hard when she was trying so little.

Guys: I'm really **** happy right now.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,158
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#774 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:40 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:So a week before my wedding on the 10th my fiance called it off.

She missed living alone for the first time and it scared her. I'm really glad she called it off. In the wake of that decision it's made me realize how much I bent over backwards for her in every way. How I had to compromise on everything and she didn't compromise at all, not even once, even when it had fundamental issues with me behind it (I don't like spending massive amounts of time with groups of people because I get anxious, don't like to close down bars anymore, I like sports and videogames).

Myself and my family paid for literally everything for the wedding and we're not getting a dime back.

The last straw came this morning (we were gonna stay together and work on things, even though she's been a **** nightmare since the week before the wedding). She felt slighted on social media when my sister and SIL unfollowed her (they were right to do so, she was flagrantly happy on IG over the weekend we were supposed to be getting married) and she LOST HER MIND. She lives for affirmation on IG. For two days I've listened to her insult my family, say she never wants to see them again, that she wants both our families out of our relationship. But this morning the second her mom wants to meet with us (interrogate me) she asks me if I'd do that. I called her a hypocrite, said there was no way I'd be doing that. I left for work, found a new apartment with my current landlord, and texted her I was done with this bulls*it and I was done trying so hard when she was trying so little.

Cheers on that. Best for the both of you but obviously **** that you went through that. All of that said, she can do her thing and you can be happy. I've been in or have family members that have been in some sort of relationship like that and I'd agree that your life will suck ass if you get married just to do it or whatever.

Find someone where you basically are yourself the whole time and if not just enjoy being yourself.

Also sorry to hear because the situation just sucks...but you're better for it. Whatever amount of thousands you blew on the wedding will be trumped by hating your day-to-day life.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#775 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:05 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Myself and my family paid for literally everything for the wedding and we're not getting a dime back.

This (and the rest of it) sucks, man.

But this is ultimately what matters. Good you were able to get out when you did...too bad it was so last-minute :-?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#776 » by crkone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:So a week before my wedding on the 10th my fiance called it off.

Bittersweet I'd say. You are damn right that relationships are about compromising from both parties. I hope you can find someone who agrees with you when you're ready to try dating again.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,184

Post#777 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 pm

You should be happy as **** it ended now instead of a divorce after a **** marriage.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#778 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:18 pm

Good for you, man. It sucks that you had to go through so much financially and emotionally to deal with this, but at least you made that decision before you got married. It's a lot stickier to get out after you do so. I wish more people were thoughtful about these kinds of things before tying the knot - a lot of people want to ignore the warning signs and jump into a marriage out of peer/family pressure - and that's just risky as hell. It's better to opt-out and try to work on things (if possible) before making that kind of commitment.

I hope this decision brings you some semblance of relief and peace going forward.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,885

Post#779 » by jschligs » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:22 pm

I'll echo what everyone else said. Sorry you had to go through it, but so glad you got out when you did and saved yourself from any more pain/misery. As someone who is closing in on my wedding day (9/14) I can't imagine what it must have been like to go through.

Focusing on yourself is so critical to happiness. I had relationships in the past where I was putting them first all of the time and it was never reciprocated. I told myself I was happy, I definitely wasn't. I reached a breaking point and once out of those relationships was so much happier.

Treat yourself to something small, a new game, whatever. You deserve to put yourself first. The loss of money stinks, but the future is a lot brighter.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,158
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#780 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:26 pm

The fact that you feel happy as hell is all you need to know for the fact that everything worked out the right way in the end.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks