ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#881 » by crkone » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Hmmm Popeyes is on Postmates it looks like...

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,941

Post#882 » by humanrefutation » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:00 pm

I love all the positivity being shared so far. Let's keep it going.

I'll share some of my own: A couple weeks ago, I finally won a case that was years in the making. I represented a woman who was denied disability benefits and health insurance. I can't share any specifics for confidentiality reasons, obviously, but her condition was so severe that she was almost bedridden for several years, and is only now getting to the point that she can stand and walk for more than a few minutes a time. Her parents were taking care of her, but her medical bills became so large that they spent all of their life savings on her care, and were picking up extra work to keep paying for it. Still, the examiners and judges who reviewed the case kept denying her access to benefits, largely because they sided with the views of their own doctors over the ones who actually worked with my client directly.

Finally, after I took the case to federal court and got the previous decisions vacated, we had a second hearing before the same judge who denied her the first time a few years ago. After listening to her testimony and that of the medical expert, he agreed to find her retroactively eligible back to her original date of application years ago. She's going to get a check in the mail for tens of thousands of dollars for all the time she should have been getting benefits, and retroactive health insurance that will pay for the bills her parents were covering, refunding them most of that money they spent. She'll also get a monthly financial benefit and health insurance going forward until her health improves to the point that she can re-enter the workforce.

It's not all good - though it looks like she's slowly getting better, she's still in pretty poor health. But the financial impact of her victory will help blunt much of the anxiety and fear that gripped her and her family over these last few years. So, that's something good.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#883 » by RiotPunch » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:05 pm

KidA24 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Alright everyone, it's time to play "What's Good?" Yes, I stole it from Billy Gill, but I like the idea.

What's good in your life these days? What's making you happy right now? Let's get some positive energy going today.

Throwing a 20 person tailgate on Saturday. Get to see my family next weekend. Dating a wonderful woman who laughs at me when I say dumb **** like I'm a 12 year old. In 3 weeks I'll be in southern Utah exploring Bryce and Zion national parks.

Stayed two nights at a great Airbnb last month in Hatch, UT right between Bryce and Zion. Beautiful place.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#884 » by Mags FTW » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:21 pm

crkone wrote:Hmmm Popeyes is on Postmates it looks like...

Are they on Door Dash?

RedBox is running a promo with them. If you sign up for a new Door Dash account, you get 3 free movies and the Door Dash delivery fee waived on 3 orders.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,722

Post#885 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I love all the positivity being shared so far. Let's keep it going.

I'll share some of my own: A couple weeks ago, I finally won a case that was years in the making.

You are doing the Lord's work, man. Keep on keepin' on.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,974

Post#886 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Hmm what's good.

• New apartment in two weeks
• New Lana del Ray album next week
• Borderlands 3, my favorite series, in a few weeks
• Going to see Ready or Not tonight and I haven't looked forward to a horror movie since the Cabin in the Woods
• Saw a therapist for the first time yesterday and it felt really good.
• College football returns this weekend which means Pipo is back

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#887 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:37 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Alright everyone, it's time to play "What's Good?" Yes, I stole it from Billy Gill, but I like the idea.

What's good in your life these days? What's making you happy right now? Let's get some positive energy going today.

Throwing a 20 person tailgate on Saturday. Get to see my family next weekend. Dating a wonderful woman who laughs at me when I say dumb **** like I'm a 12 year old. In 3 weeks I'll be in southern Utah exploring Bryce and Zion national parks.

Stayed two nights at a great Airbnb last month in Hatch, UT right between Bryce and Zion. Beautiful place.

I've been to Utah many times, I was there last month. Bryce Canyon NP is cool. So is the Escalante area. Zion is ok but too crowded. Hiking the Narrows is worth it though. The other NP's (Utah has 5) are great too (Arches is my favorite but farther north in Moab).
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,268

Post#888 » by KidA24 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:41 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

I've been to Utah many times, I was there last month. Bryce Canyon NP is cool. So is the Escalante area. Zion is ok but too crowded. Hiking the Narrows is worth it though. The other NP's (Utah has 5) are great too (Arches is my favorite but farther north in Moab).

I haven't been in over 20 years (I'm 40 now), so I'm pretty excited... even though I got wrangled into doing this with my parents and sister & brother in law.

Good times will be had and I hope to do a lot of exploring.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#889 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:59 pm

KidA24 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Stayed two nights at a great Airbnb last month in Hatch, UT right between Bryce and Zion. Beautiful place.

I haven't been in over 20 years (I'm 40 now), so I'm pretty excited... even though I got wrangled into doing this with my parents and sister & brother in law.

Tons of great hiking and great places to eat. No chains, all small towns. Fun.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#890 » by humanrefutation » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Hmm what's good.
• Saw a therapist for the first time yesterday and it felt really good.

Good for you, man. That takes a lot to show up and begin to open up to someone like that. I hope your therapist helps you navigate through whatever challenges you're confronting, past, present, or future.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#891 » by RiotPunch » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:20 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I've been to Utah many times, I was there last month. Bryce Canyon NP is cool. So is the Escalante area. Zion is ok but too crowded. Hiking the Narrows is worth it though. The other NP's (Utah has 5) are great too (Arches is my favorite but farther north in Moab).

I got some great local ribeye steaks in St. George that I still have dreams about. Cool town. So many weird towns too. If I go back, I want to rent an ATV and hit the ATV trails outside of Panguitch.

I will admit, though, that I caved and went to Culver's while in UT, because we don't have them in CA.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#892 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:16 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

I got some great local ribeye steaks in St. George that I still have dreams about. Cool town. So many weird towns too. If I go back, I want to rent an ATV and hit the ATV trails outside of Panguitch.

I will admit, though, that I caved and went to Culver's while in UT, because we don't have them in CA.

I liked St. George too, that's a "big" city in southern UT, about 50K people. The towns by the national parks are tiny. Springdale (Zion) has a pop of about 600, Escalante 800, Torrey 200. Had a kid in Escalante check me into a hotel one night, serve me breakfast at a restaurant down the street the next morning and serve me dinner at a different restaurant that night.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#893 » by stellation » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:27 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Tons of great hiking and great places to eat. No chains, all small towns. Fun.

I liked St. George too, that's a "big" city in southern UT, about 50K people. The towns by the national parks are tiny. Springdale (Zion) has a pop of about 600, Escalante 800, Torrey 200. Had a kid in Escalante check me into a hotel one night, serve me breakfast at a restaurant down the street the next morning and serve me dinner at a different restaurant that night.

:lol: that is so small town/enterprising young man.
#FreeChuckDiesel
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#894 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:17 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I love all the positivity being shared so far. Let's keep it going.

I'll share some of my own: A couple weeks ago, I finally won a case that was years in the making.

Thanks, man. It's one of the reasons I like non-profit work. It's nice to be able to help people of limited means without them having to worry how to pay you for your work.

Feel free to keep this going, folks. With all of the negativity out in the world, it really gave me a pep in my step to hear about the good things going on in your lives. :D
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#895 » by stellation » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:53 am

crkone wrote:Hmmm Popeyes is on Postmates it looks like...

RIP to your waistline.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#896 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:57 am

Read on Twitter

Damn.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#897 » by Bucksfan28 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:44 am

ReasonablySober wrote:• Going to see Ready or Not tonight and I haven't looked forward to a horror movie since the Cabin in the Woods

Not a big horror fan or? There's a good number that I've looked forward to over that time, and I'm generally skeptical of the genre.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#898 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:23 am

Bucksfan28 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:• Going to see Ready or Not tonight and I haven't looked forward to a horror movie since the Cabin in the Woods

Not a big horror fan or? There's a good number that I've looked forward to over that time, and I'm generally skeptical of the genre.

LOVE horror. I've just been hugely disappointed time after time by movies that people hype up.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,659

Post#899 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:56 am

humanrefutation wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

Thanks, man. It's one of the reasons I like non-profit work. It's nice to be able to help people of limited means without them having to worry how to pay you for your work.

Feel free to keep this going, folks. With all of the negativity out in the world, it really gave me a pep in my step to hear about the good things going on in your lives. :D

I don’t know how to summarize this succinctly, but over Labor Day weekend we’ll be having a mini-family reunion with my partner’s family including some family members others haven’t seen in over 5 years (for completely terrible reasons). And it will be wonderful to see their family’s genuine, bliss-full reactions and soak in how happy everyone is. I’m really looking forward to that happiness.

I’m truly running again for the first time in over a year and it feels wonderful. Between my accident last fall and general stomach malice, I’ve fallen out of the habit or literally been unable. The past two months I’ve ran 40m and counting. Hope to run a 10k again by EOY.

And finally, I get to go to UW/UM next month after missing every game last season - the first time in well over a decade. When I hear U2 and see the team run out imma lose it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,647

Post#900 » by emunney » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:07 am

I built a Murphy bed out of plywood and it was super satisfying.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts

Return to Milwaukee Bucks