ImageImage

Giannis Thread - DPOY Page 88

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,992

Re: Giannis Thread 

Post#221 » by MVP2110 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Yep in theory id try and make another run with Giannis, who knows when we'd ever get a player this talented again
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#222 » by emunney » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:54 pm

If he tells us he wants out, I'd trade him.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,682

Post#223 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:27 pm

I have lost my faith in contracts stopping NBA superstars from going wherever they want.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,772

Post#224 » by theFireBlanket » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:08 pm

He'll flirt. Maybe even commit to another team like Kobe did with the Clippers but ultimately he'll walk it back to MKE.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#225 » by jmart762 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:23 am

Is there any reason for Giannis to actually sign the super max before his true free agency? What's the benefit to him, except for injury insurance?

The only reason outside of injury and distraction for him to sign it right away is to throw us a bone imo. Seems doubtful and optimistic. I think he signs but he will keep his options open and the pressure for good management until as late as possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,792

Post#226 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:29 am

jmart762 wrote:Is there any reason for Giannis to actually sign the super max before his true free agency? What's the benefit to him, except for injury insurance?

The only reason outside of injury and distraction for him to sign it right away is to throw us a bone imo. Seems doubtful and optimistic. I think he signs but he will keep his options open and the pressure for good management until as late as possible.

I mean, it's still $250M in total and $100M more than he can get anywhere else. Why would he drag that out? As soon as he signs his family and their next two or three generations are set.
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#227 » by jmart762 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Sure, but barring a terrible injury he'll get the supermax anyways. Even with an Achilles or knee injury he still probably (95% chance?) gets it. His floor is the regular max with another team, and the only thing that stops that is a Bosh or Telly condition which I would think he has some type of insurance for. All of these scenarios lead to him and his family being set for life, it makes very little difference imo.

On the other hand, if he accepts early he loses all of his leverage and exposes himself to the injury risk of his teammates and being stuck on a team that can't make the leap. Mainly Middleton, but to a lesser extent, if Lopez or Bledsoe get hurt, that's a decent anchor that narrows our already thin margin for error/luck needed to win a championship.

I don't see it happening before the last possible moment.
tedbrogen wrote:
jmart762 wrote:Is there any reason for Giannis to actually sign the super max before his true free agency? What's the benefit to him, except for injury insurance?

I mean, it's still $250M in total and $100M more than he can get anywhere else. Why would he drag that out? As soon as he signs his family and their next two or three generations are set.

JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#228 » by JayMKE » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:16 pm

you guys are too nervous
FREE GIANNIS
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Post#229 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:19 pm

Isn't Anthony Davis now the only guy who's ever actually turned down the super-max contract? (Technically it was never offered, but he told the Pelicans front office that he wouldn't)

I don't know that there's many players who are gonna be turning down that kind of money as we see the super-max era move forward. Because what was the benefit of Lillard signing his early? How about Harden? If KD and Klay this offseason has taught us anything, it's that these guys are gonna get their max contracts regardless of injury risk and rehab. There's just too few elite players and too much money to go around. It's why being able to offer $50 million more than any other team is a huge incentive even for these mega-rich stars.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,781

Post#230 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:12 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Isn't Anthony Davis now the only guy who's ever actually turned down the super-max contract? (Technically it was never offered, but he told the Pelicans front office that he wouldn't)

I don't know that there's many players who are gonna be turning down that kind of money as we see the super-max era move forward. Because what was the benefit of Lillard signing his early? How about Harden? If KD and Klay this offseason has taught us anything, it's that these guys are gonna get their max contracts regardless of injury risk and rehab. There's just too few elite players and too much money to go around. It's why being able to offer $50 million more than any other team is a huge incentive even for these mega-rich stars.

Aren't PG and Leonard on that list as well?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,309

Post#231 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:31 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Isn't Anthony Davis now the only guy who's ever actually turned down the super-max contract? (Technically it was never offered, but he told the Pelicans front office that he wouldn't)

Aren't PG and Leonard on that list as well?

San Antonio refused to offer it and PG was never eligible for it with Indy.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#232 » by H2tObes » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:03 pm

It would be such a crazy 180 for Giannis to turn down the supermax considering some of the statements he has made over the years and the kind of person we take him to be. It's just hard for me to even imagine.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,461

Post#233 » by old skool » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:21 am

I have heard a single thing that would make me think Antetokounmpo would leave the Bucks.

Still, Kyrie publicly told Celtics fans that he was going to resign with Boston - and the signed with Brooklyn. Paul George signed a four year free agent contract with OKC, and within a year asked to be traded. NBA stars are fickle. Seems like they don't know what they want.

H2tObes wrote:It would be such a crazy 180 for Giannis to turn down the supermax considering some of the statements he has made over the years and the kind of person we take him to be. It's just hard for me to even imagine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#234 » by emunney » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:26 am

JayMKE wrote:you guys are too nervous

Very real chance he leaves, but ffs let's enjoy this season. Don't skip ahead.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
WimpyDeer
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#235 » by WimpyDeer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:08 pm

old skool wrote:I have heard a single thing that would make me think Antetokounmpo would leave the Bucks.

Still, Kyrie publicly told Celtics fans that he was going to resign with Boston - and the signed with Brooklyn. Paul George signed a four year free agent contract with OKC, and within a year asked to be traded. NBA stars are fickle. Seems like they don't know what they want.

H2tObes wrote:It would be such a crazy 180 for Giannis to turn down the supermax considering some of the statements he has made over the years and the kind of person we take him to be. It's just hard for me to even imagine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

To be fair, Kyrie gave himself and out and said he'll be back if they'll have him. Ask a Celtics fan if they would have him back..
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#236 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Beal turned down a max extension, but he can get a higher max percentage by making the All-NBA team this season - and 1 more year - so perhaps he's just betting on himself. Or... he just doesn't want to sign with the Wizards.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,902

Post#237 » by Bucksfan28 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Forget the 3-pointer, get Giannis in a gym with Timmy..

MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#238 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:Forget the 3-pointer, get Giannis in a gym with Timmy..

According to 99% of the posters here, those are bad shots
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,114

Post#239 » by KidA24 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Fresh_Prince12 wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:Forget the 3-pointer, get Giannis in a gym with Timmy..

According to 99% of the posters here, those are bad shots

And that's a terrible way to have Giannis' body take more of a beating over 82 games.

Less post-ups, less pounding, more easy, open shots.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
tonyreyes123
Starter
And1: 739

Post#240 » by tonyreyes123 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:43 pm

Giannis is going to be the true test of the supermax. If he doesn’t sign next summer you gotta trade him as it all but means he’s leaving. Nike stars are always moving around
Bucks tricked me into being a diehard in 2001, LeBron is the 2nd best player ever, and pizza is awesome.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks