ImageImage

Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

DrWood
Veteran
And1: 790

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1221 » by DrWood » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:33 am

soxperry wrote:
8305 wrote:To summarize, everyone is pretty skeptical about Brogdan's ability as a pg. Tell me if makes things any better. I think the expectation will be to give George Hill type play. Once Vic returns we will have a ball dominate wing much like you guys with Giannis. George Hill manned the pg spot for us for four years. He brought the ball up the floor, ran some pick and roll, spotted up for three's and occasionally took the ball to the basket. Otherwise his task was to fit into an offense where the goal was to share the ball. How does Brogdan fit into that job description? You guys have seen both Hill and Brogdan. Would seem like you should have a pretty good feel for this.

Brogdon does a few things very well (catch and shoot 3s, free throws, layups), but is very average in basically every other category. Im sure he can be effective if your coach plays to his strengths.

he's not a great catch and shoot guy because he can't do it quickly.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,223

Post#1222 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 5, 2019 8:38 pm

soxperry wrote:
8305 wrote:To summarize, everyone is pretty skeptical about Brogdan's ability as a pg. Tell me if makes things any better. I think the expectation will be to give George Hill type play. Once Vic returns we will have a ball dominate wing much like you guys with Giannis. George Hill manned the pg spot for us for four years. He brought the ball up the floor, ran some pick and roll, spotted up for three's and occasionally took the ball to the basket. Otherwise his task was to fit into an offense where the goal was to share the ball. How does Brogdan fit into that job description? You guys have seen both Hill and Brogdan. Would seem like you should have a pretty good feel for this.

Brogdon does a few things very well (catch and shoot 3s, free throws, layups), but is very average in basically every other category. Im sure he can be effective if your coach plays to his strengths.

This is kinda silly. Brogdon's an excellent shooting guard - and one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA. He's also a quality defender with excellent length, strength, reactions - and average quickness. As others have said, he can help at the PG and has some PG skills, but he's primarlity a shooting guard. I think Indiana's thoughts long-term are that Brogdon and Dipo play together with Dipo running the offense most of the time.
"There's never an armed teacher around when you need one!" - montestewart
old skool
Lead Assistant
And1: 984

Post#1223 » by old skool » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:32 am

I think we need to be careful not to understate Brogdon's abilities. He is slow of foot, but strong, steady and smart. I think he brings a lot to the Pacer's and the Bucks will miss him.

I think Brogdon's greatest limitation is the modest number of minutes he plays. If the Pacer's want to Brogdon to replace Bogdanovic, I think they will be disappointed in some respects. Last year Bogdanovic played 2,573 minutes, while Brogdon only played 1832 minutes. Brogdon's offensive efficiency does not offset his lack of durability.
DavidDunn21
Rookie
And1: 910

Post#1224 » by DavidDunn21 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 am

old skool wrote:I think we need to be careful not to understate Brogdon's abilities. He is slow of foot, but strong, steady and smart. I think he brings a lot to the Pacer's and the Bucks will miss him.

I think Brogdon's greatest limitation is the modest number of minutes he plays. If the Pacer's want to Brogdon to replace Bogdanovic, I think they will be disappointed in some respects. Last year Bogdanovic played 2,573 minutes, while Brogdon only played 1832 minutes. Brogdon's offensive efficiency does not offset his lack of durability.

Minutes sminutes. The Bucks destroyed teams all year. Brogdon played 64 games, Bogdan 81. Had Malcolm not gotten injured, Bud would've still likely load managemented him another 3-5 games anyway. If the Bucks were a 48 win team without a strong bench, Brogdon plays more minutes a game. If the Bucks were the exact same team minus Eric Bledsoe (our regular season 2nd banana), Brogdon plays more minutes a game.

This is not directed at you, I just think the attempt to act as if we were constantly disappointed by Malcolm Brogdon is simply spin. We were generally super happy with the production we got from a second round pick. We were proud of him as a spokesman. We wanted him on the floor at the end of games. And we disrespected him and didn't resign him for no good reason, even as Khris Middleton was revealed to be a coward and a fraud.
coolhandluke121
General Manager
And1: 1,781

Post#1225 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:03 pm

In his exit interview, Brogdon said he wanted to shed some weight. I think that would be a good idea. He's not out of shape per se, but he could be a little leaner. Also, you only need so much upper body muscle in basketball. It has benefits, but when you talk about a guy whose biggest issues are quickness at PG and lower body injuries, the costs of any extra mass far outweigh any benefits. I still don't think he'll be a good PG, but it could help.

I don't see the George Hill comparison. Hill has better lateral quickness even now, let alone in his prime, and he knows how to keep the ball moving around the perimeter. He can also dribble with his head up and facing forward against pressure, as opposed to having to turn sideways or even backwards to protect the dribble.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 11,406

Post#1226 » by AussieBuck » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:27 pm

I think he can be a great second unit partner to Sabonis once Dipo us back and they stagger the starters. Kinda like when Monroe was briefly good off the bench for us with Brogdon.
Gooner wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:Giannis wouldn't even be an all-star if refs accurately called his travels and offensive fouls

Bruno Caboclo would be an all star if he played under Giannis "rules".
brettski
Sixth Man
And1: 555

Post#1227 » by brettski » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Brogdon got into a lot of fast breaks last season. I dint think he once passed the ball. Even when he had Giannis running with him.

Dude has poor vision / dribbles with his head down. Thats his biggest weakness playing point guard.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
soxperry
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#1228 » by soxperry » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:08 am

Heard from someone over the weekend who heard from someone who associates with the Bucks players directly that Brogdon hated the city and wanted out.

So, while they could be lying, this isn't based on any news articles new or old.
DavidDunn21
Rookie
And1: 910

Post#1229 » by DavidDunn21 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:49 am

soxperry wrote:Heard from someone over the weekend who heard from someone who associates with the Bucks players directly that Brogdon hated the city and wanted out.

So, while they could be lying, this isn't based on any news articles new or old.

But then he went to Indianapolis, so....

Return to Milwaukee Bucks