ImageImage

Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ajb905
Rookie
And1: 310

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1081 » by ajb905 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:15 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
It's just absurd to have removed this tool from our toolbox.

Are we sure that steps were taken proactively to not have a TPE?

This thing feels more to me like the Lopez/Hill deals were agreed to much earlier, then the Brogdon trade opportunity hit at the last minute on Sunday morning, and the team didn't want to go back to either Lopez and Hill and ask them to restructure, given a fast moving free agent marketplace.

For how small amount of $ they needed to get the TPE, that would also be another worrying scenario of ineptitude. GAD talked about using "unlikely" bonuses, but if you couldn't get Hill to agree to that. Simply lower initial salary and guarantee more $ the 3rd year.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,966

Post#1082 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Hyde's made a Pro Bowl. Brogdon's JC Tretter.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1083 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:That said, its not our money. It should be pretty easy to go from "don't give Midds the max or near max!" to "Go Khris!" when we're on a 60 win pace again next season.

The 300 million in public money, half of which was extracted through fraudulent, corrupt, and other dishonest means; wasn't theirs either, but it didn't stop them taking it.

The least they could have done in return was not spare expense ala Golden St. when it came time to ensuring a contender for many years to come. They could be on pace for 60 wins again, but it could have been even more, with a better chance of advancing in the playoffs having Brogdon on the roster. If we had the misfortune of a Middleton injury our contendership chances plummet where they may have stayed afloat if Malcolm was also on the roster and available himself.

There's no defending it, bar utilizing that pick in a way that's unforeseen now to add a core player to the roster. But that was hindered by the TPE and Leuer stretching moves, indicating lowering costs was the higher priority.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1084 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Hyde's made a Pro Bowl. Brogdon's JC Tretter.

He did nothing of the sort in Milwaukee. Whereas Malcolm put up a 50-40-90 w/ 16, 5, 3, and solid d, clutch ability, while being a former rookie of the year. Tretter had a tiny fraction of those accomplishments in GB.

I can see why Brogdon felt under-appreciated. Maybe he needed this to prove himself in another environment. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite us doubly because he's sticking it to us in the regular season/playoffs w/ Indiana. Couldn't even get him out of conference.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1085 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Bernman wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Hyde's made a Pro Bowl. Brogdon's JC Tretter.

He did nothing of the sort in Milwaukee. Whereas Malcolm put up a 50-40-90 w/ 16, 5, 3, and solid d, while being a former rookie of the year. Tretter had a tiny fraction of those accomplishments in GB.

He's a top ten center in the NFL. Is Brogdon a top ten PG in the NBA? I was probably too generous to Brogdon.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1086 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:He's a top ten center in the NFL. Is Brogdon a top ten PG in the NBA? I was probably too generous to Brogdon.

He did none of that in GB, unlike Brogdon in Milwaukee.

And Brogdon is a top 10 sg, easily. #5 in Roland Rating. Elevates his game when it matters the most to move further up the list to top few, unlike Bledsoe who does the opposite. And that's who we spent not a lot less money on in what they made a zero-sum.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,512

Post#1087 » by th87 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 pm

DanoMac wrote:This whole "I will enjoy if Brogdon torches us and hits a game winner against us" is so eerily reminiscent of the pro-Favre crowd when he went to Minnesota and were hoping he'd beat us and cheering for him.

It only took, what, less than 2 years for all of those bozos to do a 180 and act like it never happened?

Not even close to the same thing. One is actively hoping your team loses, and another is finding a certain dark amusement at yet another incompetent move blowing up in our face, like "of course it did, idiots" (while still hoping it doesn't happen). It's a complex emotion.

I mean it's cool your fandom is as pure as the driven snow, but don't use ridiculous examples to drive this home.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1088 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:32 pm

Bernman wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:He's a top ten center in the NFL. Is Brogdon a top ten PG in the NBA? I was probably too generous to Brogdon.

And Brogdon is a top 10 sg, easily. #5 in Roland Rating. Elevates his game when it matters the most to move further up the list to top few, unlike Bledsoe who does the opposite. And that's who we spent not a lot less money on in what they made a zero-sum.

Yea but he's gonna be a point guard.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1089 » by bizarro » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Bernman wrote:

Yea but he's gonna be a point guard.

Yeah, Brogdon as a PG I’m like...huh? Not a fan.
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#1090 » by mke_design » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Bernman wrote:

Okay, Greg Jennings it is.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,124

Post#1091 » by DingleJerry » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Probably getting a bit too caught up in old position labels and that press conference. While Oladipo is out it'll be interesting or tough for what they do. But once he's back Oladipo is gonna be the primary ballhandler/creator etc. Defensively, Oladipo should be able to guard the quicker guy better than Brogdon can.

Also, got a chuckle out of the Lebron is gonna play PG headline from a few days ago. I mean, what do you think he's been doing his whole career offensively. He brings the ball up and has the ball in his hands almost all the time. Of course defense is different and it comes to who matches up best but chances are they're gonna have a smaller guy on the floor at most times to defend the PG.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1092 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:04 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Yea but he's gonna be a point guard.

He was a rfa. The Bucks controlled if he returned and once he did would have played the position the coach asked. Didn't cause problems playing as the 2 last year.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,223

Post#1093 » by rilamann » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:47 pm

The thing that really bothers me about letting go of Brogdon isn't so much the simple fact that we let Brogdon go. It is that we let Brogdon go while retaining Bledsoe and giving Middleton a huge contract. Makes me think that the Buck's front office has poor judgement when it comes to evaluating basketball players.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#1094 » by ackypoo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 pm

rilamann wrote:The thing that really bothers me about letting go of Brogdon isn't so much the simple fact that we let Brogdon go. It is that we let Brogdon go while retaining Bledsoe and giving Middleton a huge contract. Makes me think that the Buck's front office has poor judgement when it comes to evaluating basketball players.

Bledsoe and Middleton are both significantly better than Brogdon.

Is this entire thread a level?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#1095 » by M-C-G » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:53 pm

rilamann wrote:The thing that really bothers me about letting go of Brogdon isn't so much the simple fact that we let Brogdon go. It is that we let Brogdon go while retaining Bledsoe and giving Middleton a huge contract. Makes me think that the Buck's front office has poor judgement when it comes to evaluating basketball players.

If Bledsoe has a good playoffs, that looks like an absolute genius move, he just stunk it up. Still maybe the best PG defender in the league, which would have been huge playing against GS or HOU in the finals. I'm more than fine with that.

The Middleton deal is the only thing that bothers me about the offseason, other than if we don't end up with that TPE. Even if it was a TO on the fifth year, it would have been so much better. But this was an extremely dangerous off season, and other than that, I think we handled it very, very well.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#1096 » by rilamann » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:00 pm

I value Brogdon because I value consistency and dependability. The easiest and safest bet going into this upcoming season is that Eric Bledsoe will be absolutely useless when it really matters. Which will be compounded more than ever because you no longer have a dependable guy like Brogdon to balance things out.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,459

Post#1097 » by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:08 pm

I'm just hoping Bledsoe has some sort of Lowry-like redemption in the playoffs and he isn't a liability like we've seen. Either that or he's gone for a better PG at the deadline lol.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
rilamann
RealGM

Post#1098 » by rilamann » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:18 pm

Rather than crossing our fingers and hoping that Bledsoe isn't yet again so mind **** in the playoffs that he is unplayable, I would have just kept Brogdon. That's just me though lol. Out of the 3, you can keep 2 but have to lose 1 and Brogdon is the one you choose to lose? Not a wise move.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#1099 » by rilamann » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:25 pm

If Eric Bledsoe in the playoffs, is simply the same guy he is in the regular season over the past 2 seasons, we have 2 deep playoffs runs and likely an NBA championship. But yeah, lets keep him and let Brogdon go.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#1100 » by ackypoo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 pm

rilamann wrote:I value Brogdon because I value consistency and dependability. The easiest and safest bet going into this upcoming season is that Eric Bledsoe will be absolutely useless when it really matters. Which will be compounded more than ever because you no longer have a dependable guy like Brogdon to balance things out.

It's easier to be consistent when your team isn't dependent on you, and you only play 60 games a YEAR BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT CONSISTENT JESUS CHRIST HAS THIS WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY?@

Return to Milwaukee Bucks