ImageImage

Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,714

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1481 » by emunney » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:13 am

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
This is like comparing an apple to an orangutan anus.

If the alternative was a year on the QO and then he walks for nothing, of course I'm trading Giannis.

That's not the alternative in this situation, though. The direct comparison would be to ask whether you would match his offer sheet.

And for me, the answer is unquestionably yes, I match. Then I think about moving him if it's clear it won't work out in the long run.

That is not necessarily true. Brogdon did not sign an offer sheet and was not compelled to. He could have easily decided on the QO instead.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,290

Post#1482 » by Wooderson » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:42 am

Brogdon getting something checked out in the locker room

Read on Twitter
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,714

Post#1483 » by emunney » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:06 am

Hope he can go tomorrow.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#1484 » by humanrefutation » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:09 am

emunney wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
If the alternative was a year on the QO and then he walks for nothing, of course I'm trading Giannis.

That's not the alternative in this situation, though. The direct comparison would be to ask whether you would match his offer sheet.

And for me, the answer is unquestionably yes, I match. Then I think about moving him if it's clear it won't work out in the long run.

That is not necessarily true. Brogdon did not sign an offer sheet and was not compelled to. He could have easily decided on the QO instead.

I don't recall the technicalities of the move - I remember it being reported that he signed with Indiana and then within seconds it was reported he was traded there - I took it to mean that he signed an offer sheet and then was traded, but I'm not sure if that's possible under the CBA. So I'll take your word for it on the mechanics of his move to Indiana.

Nevertheless, I don't find the infinitesimal chance that he'd sign a QO to be worth debating. That scenario would require us to believe that Indiana would not have extended that contract offer to him in the absence of a trade, and/or that Brogdon would risk his future financial security by choosing a QO with injury questions while his market value has never been stronger than it was going into that offseason.

I don't see those possibilities as worth considering, tbh.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Post#1485 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:21 am

humanrefutation wrote:
emunney wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

I don't recall the technicalities of the move - I remember it being reported that he signed with Indiana and then within seconds it was reported he was traded there - I took it to mean that he signed an offer sheet and then was traded, but I'm not sure if that's possible under the CBA. So I'll take your word for it on the mechanics of his move to Indiana.

Nevertheless, I don't find the infinitesimal chance that he'd sign a QO to be worth debating. That scenario would require us to believe that Indiana would not have extended that contract offer to him in the absence of a trade, and/or that Brogdon would risk his future financial security by choosing a QO with injury questions while his market value has never been stronger than it was going into that offseason.

I don't see those possibilities as worth considering, tbh.

The Pacers owner didn't want the Bucks to match a deal, but he also didn't want to be a dick and include poison pill provisions. He approached Milwaukee with a deal that got the Bucks picks, and Indy would get Brogdon. The Bucks agreed and the deal was made.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,330

Post#1486 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:29 am

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,715

Post#1487 » by AussieBuck » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:30 am

The Pacers owner doesn't like bidding on other team's RFAs like it's impolite.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1488 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:35 am

AussieBuck wrote:The Pacers owner doesn't like bidding on other team's RFAs like it's impolite.

Yea it's weird.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,613

Post#1489 » by Ron Swanson » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:36 am

It's just funny to me how no one seems to even bring up the possibility that this trade could end up being a win for both sides. Cuz their always has to be a "winner" and "loser" to every trade in RealGM land.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1490 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:41 am

Ron Swanson wrote:It's just funny to me how no one seems to even bring up the possibility that this trade could end up being a win for both sides. Cuz their always has to be a "winner" and "loser" to every trade in RealGM land.

I think a bunch of people have. But the OWNERS ARE CHEAP AND WE SHOULD HAVE BROGDON crowd is especially loud.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,117

Post#1491 » by Shaffty » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:11 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:The Pacers owner doesn't like bidding on other team's RFAs like it's impolite.

Yea it's weird.

Its almost like he thinks the Bucks losing Giannis would be bad for all small markets
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#1492 » by humanrefutation » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:39 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

Yea it's weird.

I always figured that the reason he made an offer to the Bucks was because of the timing of the move. Prior to the Brogdon deal being announced, the Pacers were reported on Twitter to have a deal close to being done with Ricky Rubio. I think their first choice was Brogdon, but they didn't want to risk having him sign an offer sheet only for the Bucks to drag their feet and match a couple days later while Rubio bounces elsewhere and they're left with the scraps of the market. Once they acquired Brogdon, Rubio signed elsewhere soon after.

I think they decided that they wanted him badly enough to give up assets for him. Which would a boon for us if we didn't ever plan to match that offer sheet anyway.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,274

Post#1493 » by KidA24 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:46 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:Ehm, all of us?
Like, when you're looking for a job and you have two offers, you're gonna pass on the one that offers you a promotion and more money and a more interesting role, because the other company is a few spot higher in the business insider rankings?
As if LOL

GOS's issues with Brogdon are personal. I don't think you need to spend more time analyzing it than that.

yeah im a bucks fan. if i was a toronto fan id be the one talking **** about kawhi right now too. ive missed 20 bucks games in 20 years 15k posts on this site how the hell isn't it personal. ive got rabies for crissakes

Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#1494 » by RiotPunch » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:29 am

As it relates to the Brogdon thing, my thoughts (still) are:

-Malcolm wanted a bigger role, which we were unable to provide with our committing to Bledsoe. The Brogdon clock started ticking when we traded for Bled and we sealed the deal with the Bledsoe extension. Had nothing to do with the city, obviously, because he went to freaking Indianapolis.

-Horst got lucky that Herb Simon and the Pacers were the team gunning for Brogdon. Without Simon, I think it's unlikely that we would have gotten any compensation and Malcolm walks for nothing, similar to the Jabari departure.

-Whether it was because of our cheap billionaire with a B owners, or oversight from our cap expert Horst, someone deserves criticism for not creating a TPE during this process. That was the big prize, but a 1st is nice too, albeit lucky.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,117

Post#1495 » by Shaffty » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:38 am

OmegaBrain Take:

Brogdon targeted the Pacers as a perfect team for him because he thinks Indiana would vote for a former basketball player, and he plans to run for office post career
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,479

Post#1496 » by neiLz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:31 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:It's just funny to me how no one seems to even bring up the possibility that this trade could end up being a win for both sides. Cuz their always has to be a "winner" and "loser" to every trade in RealGM land.

I think a bunch of people have. But the OWNERS ARE CHEAP AND WE SHOULD HAVE BROGDON crowd is especially loud.

Yeah. The casuals are in full effect. I've been arguing with them for weeks about brogdon not wanting to be in Milwaukee as he wants to play PG. I think Indy got a good player at a reasonable price and the bucks got a fair deal with the picks. It just boggles my mind how casuals think that it was the bucks choosing against brogdon over midds. Its some reality TV trump BS.
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#1497 » by 4xBuck » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:32 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Horst got lucky that Herb Simon and the Pacers were the team gunning for Brogdon. Without Simon, I think it's unlikely that we would have gotten any compensation and Malcolm walks for nothing, similar to the Jabari departure.

So, Horst generates assets with a player departure and he's just lucky...That's a convenient narrative.
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#1498 » by 4xBuck » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Big night for the Brogdan fans. Bucks rolling into Indy for Saturday night showdown!

Say what?... "Brogdon doubtful because of injury"... Dang, what a surprise!
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1499 » by msiris » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:29 pm

neiLz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yeah. The casuals are in full effect. I've been arguing with them for weeks about brogdon not wanting to be in Milwaukee as he wants to play PG. I think Indy got a good player at a reasonable price and the bucks got a fair deal with the picks. It just boggles my mind how casuals think that it was the bucks choosing against brogdon over midds. Its some reality TV trump BS.
My point has been that Brogdon was one of four guys who were like the number 2 guy on a very good team. Midldleton was not better than the other three. If one had a bad game you had the other three to try and pick up the slack. And that was bound to happen because all of them are inconsistent. Bucks made a mistake when they committed to Bledsoe mid season last year since he fails to show up in the playoffs. I do not think we are has good as last year .
Ride the tank
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1500 » by msiris » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:31 pm

4xBuck wrote:Big night for the Brogdan fans. Bucks rolling into Indy for Saturday night showdown!

Say what?... "Brogdon doubtful because of injury"... Dang, what a surprise!
You could say the same thing about our 30 million man as well.
Ride the tank

Return to Milwaukee Bucks