ImageImage

Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

User avatar
FrieAaron
Head Coach
Posts: 6,301
And1: 2,755
Joined: Mar 25, 2010

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1781 » by FrieAaron » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:06 am

crkone wrote: And like I said the let if fly mantra doesn't force feed shots to one person besides Giannis.


That's the thing, though. It wasn't because of Brogdon - Middleton wasn't letting it fly. Maybe because of the discouragement of taking too many long twos, but in either case it was all too common last year for Middleton to pass up good looks, the type of shots you definitely don't mind your #2 taking.
User avatar
Ron Swanson
RealGM
Posts: 14,866
And1: 10,231
Joined: May 15, 2013

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1782 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:10 am

Middleton was averaging more 3PT attempts per-36 last season than this season...
User avatar
FrieAaron
Head Coach
Posts: 6,301
And1: 2,755
Joined: Mar 25, 2010

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1783 » by FrieAaron » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:14 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Middleton was averaging more 3PT attempts per-36 last season than this season...


Sure, but he's shooting more overall. I don't think there's any doubt he's being more aggressive this year.
KidA24
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,202
And1: 2,771
Joined: Nov 01, 2012

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1784 » by KidA24 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:23 am

FrieAaron wrote:
crkone wrote: And like I said the let if fly mantra doesn't force feed shots to one person besides Giannis.


That's the thing, though. It wasn't because of Brogdon - Middleton wasn't letting it fly. Maybe because of the discouragement of taking too many long twos, but in either case it was all too common last year for Middleton to pass up good looks, the type of shots you definitely don't mind your #2 taking.


Shu-Ha-Ri.

Shu: Learn the forms. That was last season. 5 out. Not much movement, not much innovating. Building the proper muscle memory and play style.

Ha: Adapting the forms to fit your style. That is this season. They keep adding new wrinkles, pushing the envelope. Sometimes it looks ugly, but experimenting will do that.

Ri: Mastery. Will they ever get there?
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
User avatar
blazza18
RealGM
Posts: 42,182
And1: 16,964
Joined: Dec 02, 2010
       

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1785 » by blazza18 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:32 am

crkone wrote:Bud has adapted his system to Mids because it was dumb not to do that. As said above, Mids is shooting more midrange shots this year. He's getting the shots he likes and surprise, surprise he's making them at superstar clips. Bud's system last year did not like those shots one bit. And like I said the let if fly mantra doesn't force feed shots to one person besides Giannis.


I think being together for well over a year now has definitely helped both. What has also helped is Midds just flat out shooting better than he was last season too.
trwi7 wrote:Ban yourself you asshole.
skones
RealGM
Posts: 27,809
And1: 7,284
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: Milwaukee
     

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1786 » by skones » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 am

blazza18 wrote:
crkone wrote:Bud has adapted his system to Mids because it was dumb not to do that. As said above, Mids is shooting more midrange shots this year. He's getting the shots he likes and surprise, surprise he's making them at superstar clips. Bud's system last year did not like those shots one bit. And like I said the let if fly mantra doesn't force feed shots to one person besides Giannis.


I think being together for well over a year now has definitely helped both. What has also helped is Midds just flat out shooting better than he was last season too.


There's more to it than just "shooting better." He has more freedom within the offense to get HIS looks and it's paying dividends.
User avatar
blazza18
RealGM
Posts: 42,182
And1: 16,964
Joined: Dec 02, 2010
       

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1787 » by blazza18 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:08 am

skones wrote:There's more to it than just "shooting better." He has more freedom within the offense to get HIS looks and it's paying dividends.


I would say both go hand in hand here.
trwi7 wrote:Ban yourself you asshole.
skones
RealGM
Posts: 27,809
And1: 7,284
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: Milwaukee
     

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1788 » by skones » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:11 am

blazza18 wrote:
skones wrote:There's more to it than just "shooting better." He has more freedom within the offense to get HIS looks and it's paying dividends.


I would say both go hand in hand here.


Well sure, he's shooting better, but just stating "shooting better" as some do, not saying you, makes it sound like it's being boiled down to dumb luck. It's not. Last year the offense was designed around Giannis and Giannis only. This year there are more spots for other guys to pick and choose. There's more flexibility.

It's no longer, Khris, shoot here, here, or here, not here (ie. the bread and butter midrange game that he made a career out of). It's find your spots, get in a rhythm, let's go. Khris has some of the freedom he had under Kidd back, but there's more structure in the offense to create space for him to operate.

He's also been far more methodical, and in general, he's just playing much smarter basketball. It's like he got hurt, they sat him in a film room for hours on end, and then the light bulb came on.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
Posts: 17,155
And1: 4,362
Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Location: NC
     

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1789 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:28 am

khris game is tailor made for the playoffs
DrWood
Analyst
Posts: 3,217
And1: 1,058
Joined: Jul 08, 2014
     

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1790 » by DrWood » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:37 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Middleton was averaging more 3PT attempts per-36 last season than this season...

he's shooting more long twos and fewer short twos, yet he's making 2's at a higher percentage than last year. Basically back to the master of mid-range, but unlike someone like Derozan, Midds still attempts a lot of 3's.
User avatar
JayMKE
RealGM
Posts: 19,811
And1: 6,969
Joined: Jun 21, 2010
Location: WI
     

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1791 » by JayMKE » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:48 am

Khris is a rhythm guy, letting him take those shots he likes from midrange helps him more confidently shoot from 3. I was worried last year about Bud being too inflexible with his system but he seems to adapted it for Khris and to a lesser extent Brook. You want guys to shoot with confidence.
FREE GIANNIS
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
Posts: 17,155
And1: 4,362
Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Location: NC
     

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1792 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:50 am

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2020_advanced.html

knocking out the centers khris has the 8th highest ws/48 in the whole damn league. counting the centers hes 12th

for perspective sandwiched right in between lebron and embiid.

jesus
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
Posts: 17,155
And1: 4,362
Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Location: NC
     

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1793 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 am

JayMKE wrote:Khris is a rhythm guy, letting him take those shots he likes from midrange helps him more confidently shoot from 3. I was worried last year about Bud being too inflexible with his system but he seems to adapted it for Khris and to a lesser extent Brook. You want guys to shoot with confidence.


maybe im bring a bit homer but I think if wed posted brook last year taking Gasol of the Giannis wall..... and then let khris just play.... we have our first championship already. I really think it would have been that easy
User avatar
tedbrogen
Pro Prospect
Posts: 898
And1: 483
Joined: Jun 20, 2008

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1794 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:13 am

DrWood wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Middleton was averaging more 3PT attempts per-36 last season than this season...

he's shooting more long twos and fewer short twos, yet he's making 2's at a higher percentage than last year. Basically back to the master of mid-range, but unlike someone like Derozan, Midds still attempts a lot of 3's.


Which makes him arguably the perfect compliment to Giannis. When Giannis is off the court, they can run the offense through him, he can generate his own shots against all but the most elite defenders, and still be highly efficient. When Giannis is on the court, he can play off ball and hit open threes at high volume rates. Not to mention, he can play D when focused due to his length.
User avatar
tedbrogen
Pro Prospect
Posts: 898
And1: 483
Joined: Jun 20, 2008

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1795 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:20 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Khris is a rhythm guy, letting him take those shots he likes from midrange helps him more confidently shoot from 3. I was worried last year about Bud being too inflexible with his system but he seems to adapted it for Khris and to a lesser extent Brook. You want guys to shoot with confidence.


maybe im bring a bit homer but I think if wed posted brook last year taking Gasol of the Giannis wall..... and then let khris just play.... we have our first championship already. I really think it would have been that easy


Not sure posting Brook or anyone would have helped against the wall as it wasn't just a Giannis wall. It was a Bledsoe wall too. Really a wall to stop anyone from getting to the rim. They were letting anyone have wide open shots from outside.

But yeah, if they just let Midds do his mid-range thing, maybe that changes things as they would not have doubled him to prevent midrange shots and risked compromising their wall. So, he would have been able to get his shots. And they just needed their offense to be a tiny bit more efficient.
craig
Senior
Posts: 635
And1: 48
Joined: Jul 26, 2005

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1796 » by craig » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:30 am

42.1% 3's this year, 37.8% last year. He's shooting better from deep. One can speculate why, but the ability to shoot better is hugely nice.
User avatar
tedbrogen
Pro Prospect
Posts: 898
And1: 483
Joined: Jun 20, 2008

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1797 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:40 am

craig wrote:42.1% 3's this year, 37.8% last year. He's shooting better from deep. One can speculate why, but the ability to shoot better is hugely nice.


More confident after he gets his mid-range going? More shots available when the second unit is not everyone standing around while Marvin Brodgan dribbles and then eventually drives? He had a kid, so he is getting that FVF increased ability? He wants to prove he is worth the contract?
User avatar
Jez2983
RealGM
Posts: 15,459
And1: 5,232
Joined: Dec 10, 2006
Location: #team56.4%eFG
   

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1798 » by Jez2983 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:13 am

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2020_advanced.html

knocking out the centers khris has the 8th highest ws/48 in the whole damn league. counting the centers hes 12th

for perspective sandwiched right in between lebron and embiid.

jesus


It probably helps playing on a team winning at all-time levels.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,281
And1: 19,266
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1799 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Brogdon left last nights game with a concussion.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
Posts: 17,155
And1: 4,362
Joined: Jan 21, 2007
Location: NC
     

Re: Woj: Malcolm Brogdon S&T to Pacers for Picks (NO TPE) 

Post#1800 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Brogdon left last nights game with a concussion.


you cant make this **** up

Return to Milwaukee Bucks