ImageImage

ATL: DeMarcus Cousins blows out ACL, pg 89

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,102

Re: ATL: Westbrook traded for Chris Paul and picks, pg 51 

Post#1441 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Nah, you guys have to have lived in Los Angeles to really get it. RiotPunch knows. The Lakers are part of L.A culture in a way the Clippers will never be. There were years the Lakers were absolutely awful, the Clippers were among the better teams in the league and the coverage/interest gap was still massive. The transplants all go to Clipper games and cheer for the Bucks, Celtics or whoever their team is. The gap might close but it’ll always be significant.

Truth. The Clippers had five 50+ win seasons in a row, while the Lakers went 136-274 in that same time frame, and no one gave two **** about the Clippers while hyping the **** out of the "Baby Lakers" dog **** roster. I try to see the Bucks every year they come out here, and even when the Lakers are the Clippers' farm system level team, Clips tickets are always at least half the price, and I expect that to continue this season even after adding Kawhi and PG-13.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,761

Post#1442 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1443 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Awesome. Tim must’ve gotten bored playing playstation.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#1444 » by Nowak008 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:06 pm

chonestown wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:It's an interesting point. The problem with it is Chuck misidentified Durant's team - it's isn't the Golden State Warriors. It should be team NBA or team sport of basketball.

Durant has profited mightly for how strong the NBA has become and instead of protecting the shield like they say in football - he took an axe to it.

"Protecting the shield" may be my least favorite sports euphemism. The biggest profiteers of the NBA are the hedge fund dipishts, the oil baron cartoon villains and assorted failsons who own the teams. They are "the shield." Kevin Durant is merely an insecure weirdo with online brain who is also one of the deadliest scorers ever to launch the orb. Jabari Parker took a bigger axe to the NBA than Durant did since the Assosh [feel free to use, no big deal] is dependent on replenishing talent. At least Durant delivered on the promise he showed in college.

Dig what Klosterman had to say and I am in not favor of the just-add-water superteams. Continue to flame on Kevin, Novak, you've got your lane.

Those people you talk about are rich already. The biggest profiteers are the hundreds of NBA players that come through the league. This offseason NBA teams committed billions of dollars on players salaries. In terms of what there is to gain, it is disproportionately in favor of the players. The players have the most at stake financially.

Also, the players should care more about the sport. It is their craft. The top stars have a outstretched impact on the sport. Steph is going to impact a generation of young players just like Jordan did. Durant is on that top level of stars that have to realize their actions have major consequences. Durant told an entire generation of young fans that being competitive is worthless. Just take the easy way out.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,263

Post#1445 » by FlagsFlyForever » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:47 am

RRyder823 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Honestly I dont think you even have to look outside of the state to fully understand it. Certain teams are just ingrained in culture of an area.

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

The Lakers are a part of LA culture because they have 11 championships while the Clippers have never even been to a conference final. It's that simple. If it had been the Clippers who had Kareem/Magic and Shaq/Kobe collecting rings while the Lakers were consistently the laughing stock of the NBA then LA would be a Clippers town right now.
Question. If the Bucks won say 3-4 championships the next 10 years while the Packers go 3-13 every year in those 10 which do you think is more likely?

1: The Bucks either pull even or pass the Packers in terms of popularity in the state

2: The lead topic being discussed on sports radio around the state being "Can the new highly drafted rookie turn around the Packers fortunes?"

Apply the answer to Lakers/Clippers

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

You're talking about different sports. Wisconsin is a football state. You might as well ask if Wisconsin produces three of the next 10 national spelling bee champions, would the spelling bee become more popular than the NFL. In order for the Bucks to overtake the Packers, you need the NBA to overtake the NFL in Wisconsin.

The Clippers and Lakers play the same sport in the same building. Yeah, obviously the Lakers are more popular than the Clippers and it's been like that for a long time so I understand why it seems like that's the way it will always be. Since the Clippers moved to Los Angeles 35 years ago, no team in the NBA has lost more games. In that same time, the Lakers have won the second most games (behind SA) and the most championships. Do you think it's just a coincidence that the entire town roots for the team that happens to be the most successful team in the NBA over the team that happens to be the least successful team in the NBA?

RiotPunch wrote:The Clippers had five 50+ win seasons in a row, while the Lakers went 136-274 in that same time frame, and no one gave two **** about the Clippers while hyping the **** out of the "Baby Lakers" dog **** roster.

It seems that you believe I said people in Los Angeles will root for either the Lakers or Clippers based on who is better at that very moment in time. My response is directed to the comment that Los Angeles will always be a Lakers town, which is analogous to saying it's impossible for the Clippers to sustain on court superiority over the Lakers for an extended period of time.

Nobody is arguing that a Clippers team who has never been a title contender should surpass the Lakers in popularity based on their recent relative success. These things take decades barring extraordinary circumstances (like the Clippers winning a bunch of championships while the Lakers perennially suck). This is the most successful stretch in Clippers history and they still have never made it out of the second round. The Lakers, despite their recent rebuild, have still won two championships within the past ten years.
Read on Twitter
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#1446 » by midranger » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:50 am

I’m not sure where I fall on championships being property of the city vs franchise, but I think we can all agree that team name belongs to the city. LA and all it’s beautiful lakes.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#1447 » by 4xBuck » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:29 am

midranger wrote:I’m not sure where I fall on championships being property of the city vs franchise, but I think we can all agree that team name belongs to the city. LA and all it’s beautiful lakes.

Yep, the lakes in LA are wonderful. But, for a great time, going to Utah for great jazz is where it's at.
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,996

Post#1448 » by Daver » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:00 pm

4xBuck wrote:
midranger wrote:I’m not sure where I fall on championships being property of the city vs franchise, but I think we can all agree that team name belongs to the city. LA and all it’s beautiful lakes.

Yep, the lakes in LA are wonderful. But, for a great time, going to Utah for great jazz is where it's at.
q

Even to this day wish the jazz name would of stayed with the NO franchise still sounds wierd utah jazz(mormon land)doubt they have jazz clubs there but NO absolutely jazz name belongs there
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,685

Post#1449 » by chonestown » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Daver wrote:
4xBuck wrote:

q

Even to this day wish the jazz name would of stayed with the NO franchise still sounds wierd utah jazz(mormon land)doubt they have jazz clubs there but NO absolutely jazz name belongs there

Jazz is a state of mind and beside Salt Lakecity is surprsingly comsopolitin so I really dont bedrgue them deciding to keep the name.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 964

Post#1450 » by vegaspacker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:38 pm

chonestown wrote:
Daver wrote:
4xBuck wrote:
q

Jazz is a state of mind and beside Salt Lakecity is surprsingly comsopolitin so I really dont bedrgue them deciding to keep the name.
Preaching to the Choir.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,996

Post#1451 » by Daver » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:04 pm

chonestown wrote:
Daver wrote:
4xBuck wrote:
q

Been to NO i can see where they got the name the jazz in NO is some of the best in all the states wouldnt really say its a state of mind. I understand SLC is very cosmo but dont picture a jazz jersy that has a music note for the j as a symbol of SLC
chonestown
General Manager

Post#1452 » by chonestown » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Daver wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Daver wrote:Even to this day wish the jazz name would of stayed with the NO franchise still sounds wierd utah jazz(mormon land)doubt they have jazz clubs there but NO absolutely jazz name belongs there

Been to NO i can see where they got the name the jazz in NO is some of the best in all the states wouldnt really say its a state of mind. I understand SLC is very cosmo but dont picture a jazz jersy that has a music note for the j as a symbol of SLC

If New Orleans was serious about thier jazz heritage they wouldn't be named the Pelicans they would be named the Marsaliseses or something which doesn't exactly roll off the tongue but what does roll off the tongue is the words Utah Jazz.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-DCB
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,779

Post#1453 » by emunney » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:34 pm

chonestown wrote:
Daver wrote:
4xBuck wrote:
q

Utah Jazz is all about the jazz they DON'T play in Utah.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
chonestown
General Manager

Post#1454 » by chonestown » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:04 pm

emunney wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Daver wrote:q

Utah Jazz is all about the jazz they DON'T play in Utah.

Counterpoint: 12,000 word blog post on how Rahsaan Roland Kirk is the father to the multi-dimensional virtuosity of Andrei Kirilenko.

-DCB
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#1455 » by IrishRainbow » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:10 pm

New Orleans Thelonious

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#1456 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Offseason debates on the veracity of the "Jazz" moniker is a huge reason why I waste so much time here.

I don't like, LA "Lakers" nor Utah Jazz. But I suppose at a certain point (Showtime Lakers, Stockton to Malone) a name has too much history to be abandoned. We should shame the first 7-8 years of owners that should have ditched these respective names, and after than you just shrug your shoulders and understand why the fans are attached.

Utah is a super weird place. On one hand, its almost all Mormons (and that is not a stereotype, its a legit observation). And that is a very homogenized group. You walk down the street in Salt Lake City and it is Ned Flanders after Ned Flanders. But then on the other hand, a lot of those dudes were forced/chose to go on international missions, and came back with spouses from other cultures. So there are actually some really great unexpected ethnic restaurants in Salt Lake City, and throughout the state, from these transplants. Its also has some really unique natural topography (arches, etc GO READ AN EDWARD ABBEY BOOK). So you have a ton of stoners and squatters and thrill seekers and anti establishment types sprinkled in the remote places.

My point, is a place as weird and unique as Utah should be daring enough to go big with a new team name. Stockton and Malone didn't win s--- anyway.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,678

Post#1457 » by BroncoBuck » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:25 pm

If the Spurs really are interested in trading DeRozan, I’d call up Detroit and offer to swap him for Drummond straight up. Drummond is younger and has a higher ceiling, but DeRozan is the more valuable player today. The Drummond-Griffin combo has maxed out on the Pistons end, while San Antonio would be opening up more play/ball time for White and Walker to grow, not to mention gaining a center that could absolutely feast on much of the west.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#1458 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Daver wrote:doubt they have jazz clubs there but NO absolutely jazz name belongs there

The typical business model of a jazz club is to charge a low-ish cover (say $20) and make up the rest by selling overpriced drinks. I guess they could always sell seltzer for $7 a bottle?
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,720

Post#1459 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:Utah is a super weird place. On one hand, its almost all Mormons (and that is not a stereotype, its a legit observation). And that is a very homogenized group. You walk down the street in Salt Lake City and it is Ned Flanders after Ned Flanders.

Ned Flanders Ned Flanders Ned Flanders Ned Flanders Jabari Parker WTF LOL
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,779

Post#1460 » by emunney » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:41 pm

The Utah Fry Sauce
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts

Return to Milwaukee Bucks