ImageImage

ATL: DeMarcus Cousins blows out ACL, pg 89

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Re: ATL: Westbrook traded for Chris Paul and picks, pg 51 

Post#1601 » by jute2003 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:33 am

It's over the top and pretty nutty but it would bother me far more if he was yelling at refs and the other team. He should really stay the **** off the court though.

I remember the parents getting heated with each other and the ump at one of my 4-H softball games 20 years ago. In all of the sports I ever played, and I played quite a bit, that is the only time I remember parents ever being like that. Things have changed a lot in the last couple of decades unfortunately.
only a fan, only an opinion
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#1602 » by Jez2983 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:22 am

Yeah he can do that sort of stuff because he's Lebron.

But it doesn't bother me. I'll get excited at my son's success in stuff, it's just that my life hasn't been one of one of the most recognizable sports stars on the planet, so I wouldn't be able to go that far over the top.

As for the safety stuff, lol. When I play with my kids and jump off stuff or wrestle I don't think about getting injured. I'm sure Lebron does that sort of stuff all the time too (within reason). He should be allowed to. But he needs to stay away from mopeds :lol:
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,896

Post#1603 » by Plossum » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:25 am

If my son was throwing down alley-oops at 14 I’d be carrying on like a pork chop too. Lebron did nothing wrong.
#LockUpChuck
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,186

Post#1604 » by skones » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:02 am

Plossum wrote:If my son was throwing down alley-oops at 14 I’d be carrying on like a pork chop too. Lebron did nothing wrong.

That's not his kid.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1605 » by WRau1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:20 pm

As long as he isn't being disrespectful to any of the kids, refs or other parents, what does it matter? I'd be stoked to see LBJ dunking at my kids games.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,673

Post#1606 » by chonestown » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:48 pm

I think Lebron James should stick to sports I'll hang up and listen
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#1607 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:29 pm

Surprisingly little talk about the McCollum extension. That's an absurd amount of money for a guy who's pretty much peaked as a somewhat one-dimensional buckets-getter. And before I get all the hot Middleton takes, unlike him, there was absolutely no urgency to get this deal done on Portland's part. The timing is odd.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,162

Post#1608 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:34 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Surprisingly little talk about the McCollum extension. That's an absurd amount of money for a guy who's pretty much peaked as a somewhat one-dimensional buckets-getter. And before I get all the hot Middleton takes, unlike him, there was absolutely no urgency to get this deal done on Portland's part. The timing is odd.

Given the market 33 mil seems fine for him. But like you said he had two years left on it so what's the rush? Honest question, similar to how if Giannis turns down his extension next year then it means he's gonna be a FA could that be the same here? As in, if they didn't do an extension now then there isn't another window to do it until he hits actual free agency. Just wondering if there is CBA quirk that forced it rather than letting him be a FA or something.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1609 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:37 pm

I think it’s cool for Jeremy Lin to express himself and feel whatever he’s feeling but I’m kinda flabbergasted by the sympathetic outcry and any sentiment that he’s being excluded from the league or whatever. Dudes wash out of the NBA when they still feel like they have something left every summer. If Zaza Pachulia delivered a teary eyed monologue would NBA fans demand “justice”? Would we mourn for Raymond Felton?
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#1610 » by KidA24 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:43 pm

trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Wasn't he only on the court (at least that excessively) because his shoe came off? What a dumb controversy.

I'm not paying attention to this at all but how does a shoe fly onto the court? Did he throw it at a ref?

It was carried there by an African swallow. It gripped it by the tongue.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1611 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:44 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:I think it’s cool for Jeremy Lin to express himself and feel whatever he’s feeling but I’m kinda flabbergasted by the sympathetic outcry and any sentiment that he’s being excluded from the league or whatever. Dudes wash out of the NBA when they still feel like they have something left every summer. If Zaza Pachulia delivered a teary eyed monologue would NBA fans demand “justice”? Would we mourn for Raymond Felton?

Good point. I agree I appreciate when someone is being honest like that instead of cliche bs answers.

But the guy made 65 mil and roughly 24 mil in the last two years alone to sit the bench as a non player. I don't see much to feel bad about. I'd feel worse for an NFL RB who gets beat up and makes almost no money in his rookie contract and then is out of the league. Or an MLB player who makes the bigs at a later age so he doesn't hit FA until he's in his 30s so he doesn't really make any big money.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1612 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:09 pm

So just to be clear, when my kids get to the age where they get involved in team sports, it’s acceptable and even applauded for me to warm up with them and go onto the field of play during the games.

Being a sports dad is gonna be fun.
Do it for Chuck
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#1613 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:23 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:So just to be clear, when my kids get to the age where they get involved in team sports, it’s acceptable and even applauded for me to warm up with them and go onto the field of play during the games.

Being a sports dad is gonna be fun.

In rec league summer ball like this, yea if you can do crazy dunks and stuff I think everyone in the gym would be all for you doing it a bit. If you're in a small gym sitting a couple feet off the court and you jumped up to celebrate a few feet onto the court but slipped and lost your shoe I think everyone would laugh at you being a bit of a doofus and give you some friendly ribbing and that would be it. Don't think it would get blown up on twitter and you'd be lambasted for being a horrible dad. Or forgetting twitter, just within the town I don't think anyone would say a single word about it or ask you to stop attending due to how awful of a parent you are.

In organized school events, no it wouldn't be normal though. But if you want to fit in as a standard parent these days, stand/sit courtside and verbally assault a volunteer official, especially if he's a 16 year old kid just helping out or trying to make $10.. Scream at your kid/team over and over to really get them motivated and take them to the next level of stardom. Or sit there and talk trash to your friends about kids on the other team (or even your kid's teammates) and how awful they are, maybe even yell at those kids a bit too.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#1614 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:46 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:I think it’s cool for Jeremy Lin to express himself and feel whatever he’s feeling but I’m kinda flabbergasted by the sympathetic outcry and any sentiment that he’s being excluded from the league or whatever. Dudes wash out of the NBA when they still feel like they have something left every summer. If Zaza Pachulia delivered a teary eyed monologue would NBA fans demand “justice”? Would we mourn for Raymond Felton?

In today's world, there are sympathy points available for acting like a victim or implying that some injustice has been done. Jeremy is collecting his points right now from those who view life that way. The Perkins/Jackson thing was another example, muh Christianity!

But it's exactly as you mentioned, people wash out of the league every year. Life is about competition, the strongest survive. Jeremy needs to get better and become useful to someone, some team, somewhere. It's just easier to build victim PR momentum.

Probably doesn't help that there was like a 2 week period in time where Lin probably felt he was capable of turning water into wine and his performances reflected that. That was a long time ago though and he should have experienced that emotional return to earth already.
Go Bucks!
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#1615 » by jschligs » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:50 pm

People underestimate how fast/quick Lin was. That was what elevated his game. But since his injuries he doesn’t have that and there are better options. I think it’s ridiculous to cry he’s being singled out for whatever reason.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#1616 » by emunney » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:06 pm

Ruptured patellar tendon is no joke and a **** way to go out, so I feel for him, but man, you get on the shaggy side of 30 and you're not a great shooter, you're going to have a tough time injuries or no. He played 12,000 minutes as a UDFA and made over $60m. That's pretty damn good. When the grief passes he'll be able to appreciate what he's done and what the game has given him.

If he still feels like he has something left for the game, hit the G League and wait for a call. If he has something left, the calls will come.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1617 » by WRau1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 pm

As a parent with 2 daughters in sports, as a rec league coach and as a ref, I regularly see what LBJ does (minus the insane dunks) and it isn't a problem. Only when the parents start disrespecting others, it becomes a problem.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1618 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Given the context and group he was speaking to it's cool that Lin put his raw emotion out there like that. I don't think he's suggesting that he's been singled out or there's an anti-Jeremy Lin movement occurring. It's just a guy who is at the back-end of his prime years being dejected that his career feels close to an end. Accusing him of playing the victim card for PR points just seems really disingenuous.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#1619 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:11 pm

I used to dunk every chance I got when my little dudes were playing their league games on 9-foot rims. I don't care. Cancel me, internet.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,228

Post#1620 » by PintSizedBox10 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 pm

I feel pity for the folks getting worked up about an NBA player celebrating at his kids bball game.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks