ImageImage

ATL: DeMarcus Cousins blows out ACL, pg 89

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Re: ATL: DeMarcus Cousins blows out ACL, pg 89 

Post#1921 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:34 pm

I'm a fan of Book and that vid is great. Not sure why he's taking so much heat (poor man's Mike Redd? :crazy: ). If his 3pt% didn't inexplicably massively regress last year then he would've been a 30+ppg guy on great efficiency. Not crazy to think he gets that % back in the high-30's. Ideally he'd cut back on the turnovers but with such a high USG% idk how much that's possible. He had similar USG and TO numbers to Giannis for example.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,832

Post#1922 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:35 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:Has anyone else been listening to the 30 for 30 podcast on the whole Donald Sterling fiasco? I found it absolutely fascinating.

Good call, but put it on for five minutes while at work and couldn't focus because it was so good. Will have to listen to the series on bike rides or something where I can not get distracted.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#1923 » by emunney » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Imagine Giannis begging people not to double team him in a pick up game. Book is SOFT.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,364

Post#1924 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:52 pm

I used to defend Booker a lot when people threw out the "empty stats" criticism because I just attributed it to growing pains and development. But nah, this is year 3 now of him doing his best/worst Jerry Stackhouse impression, and the Suns have amazingly even regressed more as his usage and stats go up.

You can blame it on coaching and the franchise being an overall dumpster fire, but Michael Redd was a guy you could still give offensive primacy to, and assuming 82 games of relative health, could be the best player on a 35-40 win team. Booker ain't close to that right now, so calling him a poor man's Redd might even be a slight compliment. That doesn't mean he won't get better and that's what he'll always be, but Ayton's the guy that franchise needs to build around, not Booker.
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#1925 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:53 pm

emunney wrote:Imagine Giannis begging people not to double team him in a pick up game. Book is SOFT.

Giannis probably hands out Raps jerseys at open gym and begs people to double him.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1926 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Jerry Stackhouse was so much better/tougher than Devin Booker. Comparison is an insult to Stack.

Don’t think Booker is as terrible as some of the “smart” crowd makes him out to be though.
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#1927 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I used to defend Booker a lot when people threw out the "empty stats" criticism because I just attributed it to growing pains and development. But nah, this is year 3 now of him doing his best/worst Jerry Stackhouse impression, and the Suns have amazingly even regressed more as his usage and stats go up.

You can blame it on coaching and the franchise being an overall dumpster fire, but Michael Redd was a guy you could still give offensive primacy to, and assuming 82 games of relative health, could be the best player on a 35-40 win team. Booker ain't close to that right now, so calling him a poor man's Redd might even be a slight compliment. That doesn't mean he won't get better and that's what he'll always be, but Ayton's the guy that franchise needs to build around, not Booker.

Idk if Redd is taking the last few years of Suns teams to 35-40 wins per season. I loved the guy but think Book is a more supreme offensive talent. Time will tell.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,430

Post#1928 » by blazza18 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Booker is stills another jump or two away from being where some think he's destined or is currently. I'm not sure you can blame him for Phoenix being a mess though.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1929 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Booker was hurt most of last season. He broke his hand before camp then rushed back to play game one then like a week later he pulled a hamstring, probably from not being in game shape. Then the suns foolishly rushed him back from that and of course he pulled it again later. I think that and basically being the only perimeter player on the team with any skill level led to his drop in 3pt %. But he still managed to improve his overall efficiency because he's can get to the line a ton.

It's a big year for him. With Rubio there to take some of the ball handling off his shoulders he needs to take another step. Most importantly he needs to actually try on D. In the random little runs of competency the suns had last year booker was engaged and held up fine on D because he's not undersized or anything. Where he really struggles is with effort in games they get beat on and there are times when he simply rests on that side of the ball.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,364

Post#1930 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:49 pm

The biggest thing the Suns are guilty of with his development has been trying to force him into this on-ball creator role, because they haven't had an NBA caliber PG since idk, Bledsoe? And despite the assist numbers, he's pretty bad at it. He doesn't have good passing vision or instincts. It's why I do think he'll benefit a lot from having an actual steady presence there in Rubio, but it all just depends on if he accepts that less ball-dominant role. They needed to feed Ayton way more touches this past year. There's still a lot of talent on that team.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1931 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:The biggest thing the Suns are guilty of with his development has been trying to force him into this on-ball creator role, because they haven't had an NBA caliber PG since idk, Bledsoe? And despite the assist numbers, he's pretty bad at it. He doesn't have good passing vision or instincts. It's why I do think he'll benefit a lot from having an actual steady presence there in Rubio, but it all just depends on if he accepts that less ball-dominant role. They needed to feed Ayton way more touches this past year. There's still a lot of talent on that team.
Yeah it's been a barren wasteland since the bledsoe trade and actually that last bledsoe year wasn't much better since Watson was a horrific coach who basically had bledsoe and Booker playing 'my turn now your turn' offense.

I actually think from a long term development standpoint those PG reps booker was forced into could be good for him because he did improve on distributing the ball. The issue was teams would constantly trap him because they didn't fear anyone else making an open look.

They should have a lot more actual NBA players this year for the first time in years. Last season Ayton and Bridges lead them in minutes and while I do think both are good they were rookies. Warren was alright before he had his yearly injury and missed the second half. Oubre had a good stretch before getting hurt. But other than that it was a wasteland of guys who didn't belong on the court. Hell simply not playing Josh Jackson is probably a few extra wins, he was one of the worst players I've ever seen.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#1932 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Yea Booker isn't a natural PG. He can be allergic to passing when the action gets moving. But idk, his offensive game is so smooth that it feels like he could be a good playmaker if he simply becomes ok with actually deferring. The lanes are there b/c of the attention he commands. Maybe Rubio rubs off on him in that regard.

Unrelated, I love me some Kelly Oubre.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1933 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:26 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:Yea Booker isn't a natural PG. He can be allergic to passing when the action gets moving. But idk, his offensive game is so smooth that it feels like he could be a good playmaker if he simply becomes ok with actually deferring. The lanes are there b/c of the attention he commands. Maybe Rubio rubs off on him in that regard.

I don't think he minds deferring I think he has bouts of frustration where after watching Ryan Anderson or Bender miss like 4 wide open 3s in a row or Melton or Okobo dribble the ball off their foot, or Josh Jackson jump in the air with no plan then fire a missle off the backboard booker would say **** it and try do it himself.

Oubre is something. Super charasmatic and likeable dude off the court in Phoenix. Fans and media love him. Mixed bag on the court. Dude plays hard but not always smart. He can d it up when engaged but then completely miss a rotation. Jump shot looks pretty but doesn't go in as much as it should.

Replacing Ariza really helped Oubres image both with fans and teammates since Trevor basically quit 2 games into the season and moped around like someone shot his dog until they shipped him out.

Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#1934 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:37 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:Yea Booker isn't a natural PG. He can be allergic to passing when the action gets moving. But idk, his offensive game is so smooth that it feels like he could be a good playmaker if he simply becomes ok with actually deferring. The lanes are there b/c of the attention he commands. Maybe Rubio rubs off on him in that regard.

I don't think he minds deferring I think he has bouts of frustration where after watching Ryan Anderson or Bender miss like 4 wide open 3s in a row or Melton or Okobo dribble the ball off their foot, or Josh Jackson jump in the air with no plan then fire a missle off the backboard booker would say **** it and try do it himself.

Oubre is something. Super charasmatic and likeable dude off the court in Phoenix. Fans and media love him. Mixed bag on the court. Dude plays hard but not always smart. He can d it up when engaged but then completely miss a rotation. Jump shot looks pretty but doesn't go in as much as it should.

Replacing Ariza really helped Oubres image both with fans and teammates since Trevor basically quit 2 games into the season and moped around like someone shot his dog until they shipped him out.

That's fair, I don't blame him. I was actually surprised to see he averaged almost 7apg.

Is Oubre starting this year?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1935 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:42 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

That's fair, I don't blame him. I was actually surprised to see he averaged almost 7apg.

Is Oubre starting this year?
Williams says it's an open competition at the 3&4 so hard to say between Oubre and Bridges at the 3 assuming Saric starts at the 4. Both oubre and Bridges will play a ton so it won't really matter. Personally I'd start Bridges to have a lower usuage better defender in that lineup and let oubre be more of a focal point scorer on the second unit.

MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#1936 » by MiltownHawkeye » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:43 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I used to defend Booker a lot when people threw out the "empty stats" criticism because I just attributed it to growing pains and development. But nah, this is year 3 now of him doing his best/worst Jerry Stackhouse impression, and the Suns have amazingly even regressed more as his usage and stats go up.

It's completely bizarre how little Ayton gets talked about.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,764

Post#1937 » by Plossum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:07 am

I’m in the anti Booker camp. Looks like a prototypical good stats, bad team guy. Don’t ever see him being one of those guys who matters.

In saying that I think he’d flourish next to a great player like Giannis. But we’d have to wait years for him to flame out first before it’s realistic.
#LockUpChuck
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,609

Post#1938 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:47 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:Has anyone else been listening to the 30 for 30 podcast on the whole Donald Sterling fiasco? I found it absolutely fascinating.

Good call, but put it on for five minutes while at work and couldn't focus because it was so good. Will have to listen to the series on bike rides or something where I can not get distracted.

I caught myself making a few dumb errors at work the last two days listening to it lol. It really is fascinating. I always knew the Clippers were a garbage organization before the whole blow up, but I guess I never knew the extent of how truly terrible Sterling always was and how the league basically ignored it. The whole contrast between Buss and Sterling could be a movie lol.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#1939 » by emunney » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:15 am

In no way am I saying Book is a bad player, just saying I would hate to pin my hopes on a guy who whines at open gym. I've seen that guy too many times. **** play ball dude.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,070

Post#1940 » by rilamann » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:04 am

leroyjw10 wrote:I've gotten really sick of all of the open gym videos. They're so pointless. Guys are playing defense at 10% of the level most would in an actual game. I don't see how anyone actually benefits from playing in these games.

Also, I feel like Snell is in most of these videos as a defender/weakside offensive guy. He must be playing pickup all day all over the country.

2 open gym videos, recorded at the exact same time, in different parts of the world. Somehow, Tony Snell is in both of them.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****

Return to Milwaukee Bucks