Page 4 of 23

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:10 pm
by bizarro
emunney wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
emunney wrote:Should have called Otto Porter also. We have plenty of dudes to stomp through this WC if we pick the right ones.


I agree the overall talent gap remains big but in the past we’ve still needed clutch Durant bombs and prime Boogie smashing to pull away from teams who’ve been together forever and have well defined systems. The #1 superstar talent has what’s been able to help overcome the handicaps the USA faces in these tournaments. That’s gone now.



Still think the right mix of skilled, smart 2-way players wouldn't take much of Pop's time to whip into shape. Instead we've got this hodge-podge and it's going to get very dicey. I'm predicting a lot of Kemba and Donovan Mitchell hero ball.


:-?

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 am
by Chuck Diesel
Of the guys still available and the rumored replacement list from The Athletic, here are the 12 I’d want in China-

Kemba/Conley/Smart
Mitchell/Brown
Middleton/Richardson
Millsap/Tucker/Young
Lopez/Turner

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:38 am
by Pachinko_
I don't understand why players and fans in the US collectively DGAF about FIBA ball. To me international competition is absolutely the most exciting thing in sports, plus you get to sit with your mates beer in hand and spew every racial stereotype and WWII story you can remember about the French, Germans, Greeks, Eastern Europeans etc while loosely connecting it with their performance on the floor.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:52 am
by vegaspacker
So, has it been confirmed that Lebron will not avail himself to these games. He's still pretty great even though he is sporting the Emperor's new clothes.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:53 pm
by KidA24
Pachinko_ wrote:I don't understand why players and fans in the US collectively DGAF about FIBA ball. To me international competition is absolutely the most exciting thing in sports, plus you get to sit with your mates beer in hand and spew every racial stereotype and WWII story you can remember about the French, Germans, Greeks, Eastern Europeans etc while loosely connecting it with their performance on the floor.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk


Because they don't get paid for it.
Because there isn't any exposure for it.
Because if they win they are "supposed to win" so it doesn't matter. The only thing that can happen is bad (like when they finished 6th).

An excuse to be a racist **** is no reason to be a fan of something.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:21 pm
by theFireBlanket
Might not help FIBA interest from the US with who's in the oval office.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:25 pm
by Chuck Diesel
theFireBlanket wrote:Might not help FIBA interest from the US with who's in the oval office.


Maybe, but the staff (Pop/Kerr) have been at the forefront of outspoken opposition.Jerry Colangelo on the other hand...

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:32 pm
by theFireBlanket
Regardless, I'm rooting for Papapetrou-pe. And I'm not Hellenic at all.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:24 pm
by Pachinko_
KidA24 wrote:An excuse to be a racist **** is no reason to be a fan of something.

Nah it's ok, all you have to do is socialise with people with a brain capable of discerning what is a harmless joke and what isnt.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:30 pm
by Chuck Diesel
Pat Connaughton named to the USA select team that’ll scrimmage against the World Cup team in Vegas. Hell yeah Pat.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:06 pm
by emunney
Chuck Diesel wrote:Pat Connaughton named to the USA select team that’ll scrimmage against the World Cup team in Vegas. Hell yeah Pat.


He's gonna do the thing where he dunks on PJ Tucker and has a runny nose.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:49 pm
by chonestown
Sounds like Harrell is going to be added. Smart move. Faried was one of the better players on the 2014 FIBA team and I see no reason why Trez can't do the same. Nice reward for his previous year as well.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:03 pm
by Chuck Diesel
chonestown wrote:Sounds like Harrell is going to be added. Smart move. Faried was one of the better players on the 2014 FIBA team and I see no reason why Trez can't do the same. Nice reward for his previous year as well.


Would love to see Harrell on the squad, but he pulled out almost as soon as Shams announced he was in.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:01 am
by chonestown
Chuck Diesel wrote:
chonestown wrote:Sounds like Harrell is going to be added. Smart move. Faried was one of the better players on the 2014 FIBA team and I see no reason why Trez can't do the same. Nice reward for his previous year as well.


Would love to see Harrell on the squad, but he pulled out almost as soon as Shams announced he was in.


Balls.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:49 am
by UcanUwill
This is the year USA will lose IMO. So disappointed with draw, my Lithuania got su screwed. we might not even make out of the group, welll fact is that at least one out of Canada, Australia and Lithuania will not. GO and check Chinas group for comparison, what a disaster for our nation.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:51 am
by AussieBuck
UcanUwill wrote:This is the year USA will lose IMO. So disappointed with draw, my Lithuania got su screwed. we might not even make out of the group, welll fact is that at least one out of Canada, Australia and Lithuania will not. GO and check Chinas group for comparison, what a disaster for our nation.

Canada sucks until proven otherwise. You'll be fine.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:31 am
by UcanUwill
AussieBuck wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:This is the year USA will lose IMO. So disappointed with draw, my Lithuania got su screwed. we might not even make out of the group, welll fact is that at least one out of Canada, Australia and Lithuania will not. GO and check Chinas group for comparison, what a disaster for our nation.

Canada sucks until proven otherwise. You'll be fine.


Canada surely doesnt suck. Our best guard is Grigonis while they have guys like Murray or Gilgeous Alexander.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:53 pm
by Chuck Diesel
Updated preferred USA roster-

Walker/Lowry/Fox
Mitchell/Shamet
Middleton/Brown
Tucker/Barnes
Lopez/Turner/Bam

Injury replacements: Smart, Tatum, Young

Tough call between Fox and Smart, but Fox's speed is too dynamic to pass on. FIBA opponents won't have a prayer of staying in front of him and he'll just make the games more entertaining. Shamet's deep range would be huge and he's feisty enough guard different sized guys. Just can't trust Smart enough offensively. Barnes provides some second unit scoring punch. Rather have Bam as my third spot minute/energy big than Drummond. He's better defensively and would probably more cool with less minutes. Brown does a lot more for me than Tatum.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:13 pm
by Chuck Diesel
Jaren Jackson in the mix. Drummond out.Hell yeah.

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

Posted: Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:14 pm
by emunney
Where are guys like Hield (is he eligible or has he suited up for Bahamas?), Kennard, Justin Jackson, Winslow?