ImageImage

2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - News, Trades and Transactions - Sign Jaylen Adams

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

User avatar
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
Posts: 55,107
And1: 14,093
Joined: Oct 27, 2002
     

2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - News, Trades and Transactions - Sign Jaylen Adams 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:30 pm

Old thread about maxed out.

Continuing discussions on Bradley Beal, and also Bucks analytics director Seth Partnow resigning to work for the Athletic. Say's he'll stay living in Milwaukee.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
User avatar
crkone
RealGM
Posts: 22,805
And1: 4,433
Joined: Aug 16, 2006

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#2 » by crkone » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:47 pm

Awesome news for Seth but sad news for the Bucks. I'm glad he'll be able to do what he loves again, R&D in stats.

Code: Select all

          o- - -  \o          __|
             o/   /|          vv`\
            /|     |              |
             |    / \_            |
            / \   |               |
           /  |                   |
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 47,298
And1: 17,128
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#3 » by emunney » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:51 pm

I imagine the work/life balance was terrible.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
User avatar
raferfenix
RealGM
Posts: 19,358
And1: 1,502
Joined: Apr 05, 2003

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#4 » by raferfenix » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Found this Andrew Sharp SI article both reassuring as to how Giannis' personal improvement is really what will drive our franchise or not...but also frightening if the decision to pass on Brogdon (not to mention the trade exception) and going all out for a ring this year luxury tax be damned leads to Giannis passing on an extension.

It's the dead of summer and I have to assume no one is still reading about basketball, so allow me to take this opportunity to quietly compare Giannis Antetokounmpo to Michael Jordan. Jordan became many things over the course of nearly two decades in the NBA, but on the most fundamental level, his legend began because he was the best athlete in the entire sport. That's what made him magnetic. That's what made him unstoppable. He was the next evolution of guys like Julius Erving and David Thompson. It’s what made him the most popular player on the planet.

What eventually caught everyone off guard was the other half of the equation. In addition to being the best athlete, Jordan was a killer. He was pathologically obsessed with dominating his peers and he was more gifted than anyone. It was that combination that made him the best player of all time.

Giannis won't have the career Jordan had—no modern player ever will—and his tenacity probably doesn’t rise to the “world-renowned psychopath” standard that Jordan set, but there are similar dynamics in play here. Giannis's size made him “The Freak” at the beginning of his career, but as the years pass, his intangibles are every bit as impressive. He works incredibly hard. He improves each year. He cares about the right things. And he wants to destroy people on the court. Watch him stuff Ben Simmons into a locker here—it’s one of my favorite dunks of the past five years. Or, because it’s the end of July and there’s nothing better to do, go back to his rookie year and watch him explain why he couldn't back down to Carmelo Anthony during his first NBA start.

Size and athleticism have made Giannis a star, but it's his mentality that will make him the best player in the NBA. Think of him as Shaq for a new generation, but more motivated to stay in shape and dominate every single season. All of that's why, when the reigning MVP is dead serious and telling the world that he's only 60% of the player he'll eventually be, it doesn't sound quite as crazy as it should. Giannis may not literally become 40% more productive than he was last season, but he's 24 years old. His impact on the sport can definitely get 40% crazier than what we've seen so far.

The question is where it will happen. This is going to take things in a more somber direction, but after a summer that saw a half-dozen superstars change teams, the natural follow-up is to wonder what league-altering move is next. Giannis is the most popular answer. Teams have been waiting on him for several years already. He will be a free agent in 2021, and he'll be eligible for a five-year, $247 million supermax extension next summer. If he declines that extension, the clock will begin ticking and the entire league will be watching.


The team waited one year too long to fire Jason Kidd and wasted a season of Antetokounmpo's prime. Without rehashing every move along the way, management has made mistakes in the draft (Thon Maker, Rashad Vaughn) and several more head-scratching moves in free agency (Greg Monroe, John Henson, Matthew Dellavedova, Miles Plumlee, Tony Snell). Khris Middleton is a success story who made the All-Star Game last season, but he was already part of the Bucks when the new owners took control of the team. The most successful Milwaukee additions in the past five years are Brook Lopez, Eric Bledsoe, and Malcolm Brogdon.

Brogdon left in July. Milwaukee was concerned about his injury history and paying him this summer would've forced ownership into luxury tax territory, so he was traded to the Pacers instead. The Bucks received picks in the exchange and were eligible for a $10 million trade exception as part of the deal. That exception, coupled with Indiana’s picks, could've been used to go into the tax to find a Brogdon replacement on a more reasonable deal, with fewer injury concerns. Instead, the front office failed to clear an additional $720,000 in cap space that would have been required to retain the exception.

So far, Giannis has made it all work anyway. He warps the dimensions of the court and makes guys like Lopez or Middleton twice as dangerous as they might look anywhere else. And for all the angst surrounding his future or the limitations he's dealing with in Milwaukee, it's entirely possible that he could go out and win a title next season. Philly added Al Horford to a front line with Joel Embiid, but neither one has been able to stop Giannis in the past two seasons. No one in the West can guard him, either. If he improves as a shooter and a decent Milwaukee supporting cast can bounce back from a nightmare performance in the Eastern Conference finals last season, the Bucks can beat anyone.

While we're talking optimism: Giannis's commitment to Milwaukee seems genuine. He may not be ready to sacrifice five years of flexibility and sign a supermax extension next summer, but it's possible that he could choose a third door. Where most stars either sign long-term or decline to commit and create an imperative for teams to trade them, it could make sense for Giannis to be the first supermax-eligible star who opts for a short-term extension and strikes a compromise between security and flexibility.


Now frame that same choice from a player's perspective: is it in Giannis's best interest to spend his prime with Eric Bledsoe and Khris Middleton and an ownership group that just gave away Malcolm Brogdon and a $10 million trade exception? Or, 10 years ago, would it have been in LeBron's best interest to ignore Dwyane Wade to stay in Cleveland and spend his career with Mo Williams and Anderson Varejao? Those early Cleveland teams were contenders because of LeBron, not the Cavs. Are the Bucks that much different?


The good news is that the one person who doesn't sound worried is the player who will be at the center of all this. "Please, please, please," Antetokounmpo told Bucks fans this month. "Do me this favor so I can be a better player and lead this team to a championship. Please don't call me MVP. Don't call me MVP until I win it again next year." That’s the best answer to what’s next in 2020.

It’s time to go get 40% better.


https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/26/giannis-antetokounmpo-milwaukee-bucks-nba-mvp-finals-khris-middleton
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 47,298
And1: 17,128
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#5 » by emunney » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:37 pm

I feel like Norm Powell would be a great fit with us and we should keep an eye on him if Toronto (or he himself) gets off to a rough start. Trading with Masai is probably a very bad idea, though.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
User avatar
raferfenix
RealGM
Posts: 19,358
And1: 1,502
Joined: Apr 05, 2003

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#6 » by raferfenix » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Whether the Bucks can rely on Wes Matthews as a championship-caliber starting SG is one of the biggest questions of the season.

It'll be that much more pronounced if Brogdon has a big year.

Certainly possible Wes has a Lopez-style resurgence alongside Giannis where he mostly needs to hit wide open 3's on offense. But if that doesn't happen the Bucks could be looking at an extremely weak backcourt come playoff time if Bledsoe flops yet again...

Matthews, 32, ended last season in Indiana, joining the Pacers after stops with the Dallas Mavericks and New York Knicks. He took on a starting role immediately upon joining the Pacers, helping them weather the loss of all-star Victor Oladipo to a season-ending injury by averaging 10.9 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists while shooting 36.9% from three-point range over 23 games.


According to Synergy Sports Technology, Matthews had a 61% effective field-goal percentage on catch-and-shoot situations last year, a number that climbed to 71% when he was left open. In the Bucks' system where Brogdon thrived off the ball in catch-and-shoot situations, Matthews could offer similar skills.

With Matthews' addition, he joins the Bucks' guard corps of Eric Bledsoe, George Hill, Pat Connaughton, Sterling Brown and Donte DiVincenzo, with each player offering three-point shooting and solid defense within Milwaukee's system. He could potentially slot into the starting lineup alongside Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bledsoe, Khris Middleton and Brook Lopez, allowing the Bucks' younger options to fill in off the bench. Alternatively, Matthews could be used as a starter-level reserve off the bench, adding a dynamic element, defensive toughness and scoring pop to that group.


https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nba/bucks/2019/07/01/bucks-sign-former-marquette-star-wesley-matthews/1615806001/
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 47,298
And1: 17,128
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#7 » by emunney » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:44 pm

If Sacramento doesn't start well, could Bogdanovic become available?

Hard to imagine Divac would trade the 2nd best Serbian playing today, but they're also probably going to have to max both Hield (this summer, taking effect in 20-21) and Fox (next summer, taking effect 21-22) and they just inexplicably paid Barnes again through 22-23 AND signed Ariza to a 2 year deal.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 47,298
And1: 17,128
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#8 » by emunney » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:46 pm

raferfenix wrote:Whether the Bucks can rely on Wes Matthews as a championship-caliber starting SG is one of the biggest questions of the season.

It'll be that much more pronounced if Brogdon has a big year.

Certainly possible Wes has a Lopez-style resurgence alongside Giannis where he mostly needs to hit wide open 3's on offense. But if that doesn't happen the Bucks could be looking at an extremely weak backcourt come playoff time if Bledsoe flops yet again...

Matthews, 32, ended last season in Indiana, joining the Pacers after stops with the Dallas Mavericks and New York Knicks. He took on a starting role immediately upon joining the Pacers, helping them weather the loss of all-star Victor Oladipo to a season-ending injury by averaging 10.9 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists while shooting 36.9% from three-point range over 23 games.


According to Synergy Sports Technology, Matthews had a 61% effective field-goal percentage on catch-and-shoot situations last year, a number that climbed to 71% when he was left open. In the Bucks' system where Brogdon thrived off the ball in catch-and-shoot situations, Matthews could offer similar skills.

With Matthews' addition, he joins the Bucks' guard corps of Eric Bledsoe, George Hill, Pat Connaughton, Sterling Brown and Donte DiVincenzo, with each player offering three-point shooting and solid defense within Milwaukee's system. He could potentially slot into the starting lineup alongside Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bledsoe, Khris Middleton and Brook Lopez, allowing the Bucks' younger options to fill in off the bench. Alternatively, Matthews could be used as a starter-level reserve off the bench, adding a dynamic element, defensive toughness and scoring pop to that group.


https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nba/bucks/2019/07/01/bucks-sign-former-marquette-star-wesley-matthews/1615806001/


This is premised on the assumption that they will *need* to rely on him, though, which I don't think should be taken for granted. What Matthews does is set a reasonable floor on what we'll get out of that position. He is going to be in a competition for those minutes.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
User avatar
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
Posts: 7,548
And1: 1,581
Joined: Jan 11, 2008
   

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#9 » by Rockmaninoff » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:10 pm

emunney wrote:I feel like Norm Powell would be a great fit with us and we should keep an eye on him if Toronto (or he himself) gets off to a rough start. Trading with Masai is probably a very bad idea, though.
I thought Powell made a ton of sense last year. His value was rock bottom and we had Kawhi BFF Tony Snell with a slightly better contract to offer.

I'd consider him again. Much like Pat, when he's on he makes a difference.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
LuessiT
Head Coach
Posts: 6,540
And1: 1,464
Joined: Jan 08, 2016
 

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#10 » by LuessiT » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:26 pm

emunney wrote:I feel like Norm Powell would be a great fit with us and we should keep an eye on him if Toronto (or he himself) gets off to a rough start. Trading with Masai is probably a very bad idea, though.


Possibly but imo he should have been a target a year ago. Some were talking about him being one of the worst contracts in the league and acquiring him + an asset would have been very good.
Trading for him now depends on the price. I could see him becoming a value contract with more PT, but he's still a risk. And I'm pretty sure we're going to try to avoid the tax next year too and I'm not sure if he fits into our plans.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 47,298
And1: 17,128
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#11 » by emunney » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:29 pm

Hired RC Buford's son Chase as Herd HC.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
LuessiT
Head Coach
Posts: 6,540
And1: 1,464
Joined: Jan 08, 2016
 

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#12 » by LuessiT » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:29 pm

emunney wrote:If Sacramento doesn't start well, could Bogdanovic become available?

Hard to imagine Divac would trade the 2nd best Serbian playing today, but they're also probably going to have to max both Hield (this summer, taking effect in 20-21) and Fox (next summer, taking effect 21-22) and they just inexplicably paid Barnes again through 22-23 AND signed Ariza to a 2 year deal.


Ariza doesn't matter in this equation though does it? He's off before Fox's max kicks in. Still a stupid contract given on reputation alone.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 47,298
And1: 17,128
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#13 » by emunney » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:34 pm

LuessiT wrote:
emunney wrote:If Sacramento doesn't start well, could Bogdanovic become available?

Hard to imagine Divac would trade the 2nd best Serbian playing today, but they're also probably going to have to max both Hield (this summer, taking effect in 20-21) and Fox (next summer, taking effect 21-22) and they just inexplicably paid Barnes again through 22-23 AND signed Ariza to a 2 year deal.


Ariza doesn't matter in this equation though does it? He's off before Fox's max kicks in. Still a stupid contract given on reputation alone.


Matters in the sense that Bogdanovic played SF minutes last year and Sacto signed Ariza knowing that. He was a 27mpg player before... you could argue they'll play him at PG but they just paid Joseph 3/37 too. Just seems like: how much could they be planning to play him?
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
User avatar
raferfenix
RealGM
Posts: 19,358
And1: 1,502
Joined: Apr 05, 2003

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#14 » by raferfenix » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:35 pm

emunney wrote:This is premised on the assumption that they will *need* to rely on him, though, which I don't think should be taken for granted. What Matthews does is set a reasonable floor on what we'll get out of that position. He is going to be in a competition for those minutes.


Certainly not taking for granted the possibility that Matthews doesn't end up the starter.

However Wes stepping up BroLo-style seems to me like the best case scenario in the short run at least.

Don't get me wrong it'd be awesome if Donte or Sterling Brown were to seize the starting spot. But I fear expecting them to be better than Matthews finding the fountain of youth next to Giannis is too much to hope for.
User avatar
Nowak008
RealGM
Posts: 14,198
And1: 3,890
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: Waiting for KD at The Hague
Contact:

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#15 » by Nowak008 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:41 pm

Why leave a front office that is so close to a ring?

A. Seth quit in disgust over Lasry running things
B. Doesn't feel like we are going to win
C. Quit in protest over Brogs leaving
D. Lasry asked Seth to leave because Seth is loyal to Wes
E. Lasry doesn't want stats interfering with his gut and fired Seth.
Image
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters


THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 47,298
And1: 17,128
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#16 » by emunney » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:49 pm

F. Tired of the grind and wanted something where he didn't have to work all the time and be drawn away from his young children.
G. Got a good opportunity to get paid comparably or more for something he had previously really enjoyed doing for very little compensation.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
User avatar
Ill-yasova
RealGM
Posts: 12,952
And1: 2,261
Joined: Jul 13, 2006

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#17 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:50 pm

Nowak008 wrote:Why leave a front office that is so close to a ring?

A. Seth quit in disgust over Lasry running things
B. Doesn't feel like we are going to win
C. Quit in protest over Brogs leaving
D. Lasry asked Seth to leave because Seth is loyal to Wes
E. Lasry doesn't want stats interfering with his gut and fired Seth.

Holy **** this is some wild speculation! Let me try here:

F. Wanted more time with his family
G. More money for less work


Am I doing this right?
leroyjw10
Rookie
Posts: 1,164
And1: 767
Joined: Oct 27, 2016
     

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#18 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:13 pm

raferfenix wrote:Whether the Bucks can rely on Wes Matthews as a championship-caliber starting SG is one of the biggest questions of the season.

It'll be that much more pronounced if Brogdon has a big year.

Certainly possible Wes has a Lopez-style resurgence alongside Giannis where he mostly needs to hit wide open 3's on offense. But if that doesn't happen the Bucks could be looking at an extremely weak backcourt come playoff time if Bledsoe flops yet again...


I could see Matthews having a Danny Green type year next season. He's going to get a lot of open looks that he'll likely cash in, plus provide hard-nosed defense.
User avatar
trwi7
RealGM
Posts: 105,669
And1: 19,618
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: Aussie bias
         

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#19 » by trwi7 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Come on guys. If pp25 has posted in a thread it's required that there is a conspiracy theory somewhere in the thread, usually by pp25 but others are also welcome to make them.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."


I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MFDooom
Ballboy
Posts: 4
And1: 7
Joined: Jun 28, 2019

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - Trades, Transactions -Partnow moves to Athletic 

Post#20 » by MFDooom » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:49 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:Why leave a front office that is so close to a ring?

A. Seth quit in disgust over Lasry running things
B. Doesn't feel like we are going to win
C. Quit in protest over Brogs leaving
D. Lasry asked Seth to leave because Seth is loyal to Wes
E. Lasry doesn't want stats interfering with his gut and fired Seth.

Holy **** this is some wild speculation! Let me try here:

F. Wanted more time with his family
G. More money for less work


Am I doing this right?

H. His office was moved to the basement storage area and his stapler revoked

Return to Milwaukee Bucks