And1: 1,195

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#161 » by Bucknado » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:01 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
DavidDunn21 wrote:
MrLynch07 wrote:[url]
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet[/url]
The Sixers put out A LOT of different unis that range from a 4 to about an 8 out of 10, but they've all been on brand since Iverson, and even the black Iverson-era set was beautiful.

If the Bucks for whatever reason just have to have a black set, they could've literally chosen any wordmark we've ever had or made a new one and it would've been better than this. The Christmas set we never wore was better than this. The bunched together "Milwaukee" we have now is better than this. Even the terrible beveled/faceted thing we had in 2015 would be better than this.

We need wordmarks. We need wordmarks. We need wordmarks. Hire a firm and have them submit one a day. Stockpile a dozen that you like and them periodically implement them if the league mandates this.

Stop screwing with the colors. Stop radically changing the form. Cut out all that sales-talk mumbo jumbo. We are The Milwaukee Bucks. We wear green. Create a series of tasteful studies in green. This continues to be malpractice of the highest order

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app

I can't wait for the owners to look around the lower bowl in a few years and realize they're idiots when they see a million different colored Bucks jerseys and no cohesiveness whatsoever.

Idiots who sold a lot of jerseys. Remember their roots. It’s not in marketing or graphic design.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#162 » by skones » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:43 pm

It's fine to knock the design if you're into that, but to knock them from a branding standpoint is completely tone deaf because it's been wildly successful and shows early signs of creating a lasting impression.

There's more apparel on the streets than ever before and that was the case even prior to last season. The reversion back to red and green in 2006 can't hold a candle to 2015.
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#163 » by DavidDunn21 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:24 pm

skones wrote:It's fine to knock the design if you're into that, but to knock them from a branding standpoint is completely tone deaf because it's been wildly successful and shows early signs of creating a lasting impression.

There's more apparel on the streets than ever before and that was the case even prior to last season. The reversion back to red and green in 2006 can't hold a candle to 2015.
You're not getting it. Correlation not causation.

You're confusing our ascension with one of the most likable stars in the history of Wisconsin sports to a love of the bad uniforms and amateurish branding.

There's a reason the stands are still full of our better throwbacks. Had the 2015 rebrand been a remake of any of the unis in this poll, we'd have sold even more. But look at it another way:

The Denver Nuggets were briefly a very popular team when they had Carmelo Anthony, a big time Jordan Brand athlete, and Allen Iverson, one of the biggest stars ever. They made a few playoff runs and their shiny baby blue and yellow sets were VERY POPULAR.

What colors do you associate with the Denver Nuggets now? They're a contender in the West again, but they've changed their look repeatedly. It hurts their brand immensely that Issel and English and Mutumbo and Melo and Jokic don't have a visual through line. In five years, they'll tweak their look again.

Contrast that with the Lakers.

Contrast that with the Packers from Starr to Favre to Rodgers.

Who has the better brand?

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,226

Post#164 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:30 pm

skones wrote:It's fine to knock the design if you're into that, but to knock them from a branding standpoint is completely tone deaf because it's been wildly successful and shows early signs of creating a lasting impression.

People are wearing more because the team is winning and we have a legit star. It's no different than the last time we went to the ECF.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
skones
RealGM

Post#165 » by skones » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:39 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:

People are wearing more because the team is winning and we have a legit star. It's no different than the last time we went to the ECF.

And why do we think the Red and Green that David Dunn is beating his drum about is being looked at so fondly? You don't think there's correlation between THOSE teams winning and his looking at that branding effort fondly? It goes both ways. All of these iconic sports brands were build upon the success of a team winning with a legitimate star. That's how it works.

As a brand are the Lakers the Lakers without Showtime? Are the Celtics the Celtics without Russell, Wooden, and Bird? No. Those brands are literally built on the backs of those successes in the same way our current regime will attempt to do with Giannis (although times are different, things move faster, and the shorter attention spans make that more difficult, the Warriors for example have built a brand that I don't believe will last in a post-Curry era).

Again, people were wearing more Bucks apparel, PRIOR to the 60 win season, in which the Milwaukee Bucks were still the same treadmill team they'd been for the past 15 years.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#166 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Can’t believe anyone likes the black with green and cream horizontal stripe design. Puke. The only thing I can remember that is a worse jersey idea, was when the league tried to make the transition to jerseys with sleeves. I get that these are corporations, trying to make money. So their goal is different than what we are analyzing here (design and brand). But I can’t believe there are not stronger voices inside the building shouting what a bad look these are. There are a lot of complicated aspects to running a pro basketball team. Having cool, recognizable jerseys is not one of them.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#167 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Yea, but now the Bucks are actually cool. New arena, new branding, an MVP, an actual contender instead of a pretend one.
skones
RealGM

Post#168 » by skones » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:46 pm

DavidDunn21 wrote:

You're not getting it. Correlation not causation.

You're confusing our ascension with one of the most likable stars in the history of Wisconsin sports to a love of the bad uniforms and amateurish branding.

There's a reason the stands are still full of our better throwbacks. Had the 2015 rebrand been a remake of any of the unis in this poll, we'd have sold even more. But look at it another way:

The Denver Nuggets were briefly a very popular team when they had Carmelo Anthony, a big time Jordan Brand athlete, and Allen Iverson, one of the biggest stars ever. They made a few playoff runs and their shiny baby blue and yellow sets were VERY POPULAR.

What colors do you associate with the Denver Nuggets now? They're a contender in the West again, but they've changed their look repeatedly. It hurts their brand immensely that Issel and English and Mutumbo and Melo and Jokic don't have a visual through line. In five years, they'll tweak their look again.

Contrast that with the Lakers.

Contrast that with the Packers from Starr to Favre to Rodgers.

Who has the better brand?

Brands evolve, and it seems you have an issue with that evolution. They don't always evolve in ways that are aesthetically pleasing but they CERTAINLY evolve. It's extremely rare for a team NOT to evolve. Picking and choosing teams that haven't as examples doesn't really fly, BECAUSE they're a rarity.

That's why you can't compare a team like Milwaukee to teams like the Lakers and Packers given their respective histories. It's a pie in the sky way of thinking. Just because iconic brands have been built in the past does NOT mean that should be the expectation or the norm. They're anomalies, GB even moreso than any other.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,273

Post#169 » by Finn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
Spoiler:
DavidDunn21 wrote:
MrLynch07 wrote:[url]
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet[/url]
The Sixers put out A LOT of different unis that range from a 4 to about an 8 out of 10, but they've all been on brand since Iverson, and even the black Iverson-era set was beautiful.

If the Bucks for whatever reason just have to have a black set, they could've literally chosen any wordmark we've ever had or made a new one and it would've been better than this. The Christmas set we never wore was better than this. The bunched together "Milwaukee" we have now is better than this. Even the terrible beveled/faceted thing we had in 2015 would be better than this.

We need wordmarks. We need wordmarks. We need wordmarks. Hire a firm and have them submit one a day. Stockpile a dozen that you like and them periodically implement them if the league mandates this.

Stop screwing with the colors. Stop radically changing the form. Cut out all that sales-talk mumbo jumbo. We are The Milwaukee Bucks. We wear green. Create a series of tasteful studies in green. This continues to be malpractice of the highest order

I can't wait for the owners to look around the lower bowl in a few years and realize they're idiots when they see a million different colored Bucks jerseys and no cohesiveness whatsoever.

Seats are full of fans wearing Bucks' gear. Do you REALLY think the owners will kick themselves for cohesiveness? If you do, I personally think you're off your rocker.
WimpyDeer
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#170 » by WimpyDeer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Finn wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:
Spoiler:
DavidDunn21 wrote:The Sixers put out A LOT of different unis that range from a 4 to about an 8 out of 10, but they've all been on brand since Iverson, and even the black Iverson-era set was beautiful.

Seats are full of fans wearing Bucks' gear. Do you REALLY think the owners will kick themselves for cohesiveness? If you do, I personally think you're off your rocker.

The lower bowl someday will be filled with Bucks attire of the following colors: green, red, blue, black, yellow, white, cream, and purple eventually. That doesn't seem stupid to you? If someone asked you what colors do you associate with a team, your answer shouldn't be more than 5 lol. For example, Lakers: purple and gold. Bulls: red and white. Celtics: green and white. Etc.. The owners just want to sell jerseys and appease to every person in the worlds favorite color.
skones
RealGM

Post#171 » by skones » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:05 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
Finn wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:
Spoiler:

The lower bowl someday will be filled with Bucks attire of the following colors: green, red, blue, black, yellow, white, cream, and purple eventually. That doesn't seem stupid to you? If someone asked you what colors do you associate with a team, your answer shouldn't be more than 5 lol. For example, Lakers: purple and gold. Bulls: red and white. Celtics: green and white. Etc.. The owners just want to sell jerseys and appease to every person in the worlds favorite color.

Every single team in the league is selling an abundance of apparel in different colors. The Lakers for example, Yellow, Purple, Black, Gray, Blue, White, etc. You're oversimplifying merchandise for the sake of your argument and not the reality in which it's actually being sold. Chicago, Red, Black, White, Grey, Baby Blue, etc. Boston, Green, White, Black, Grey, they've done gold/yellow accents. The list goes on.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Post#172 » by JayMKE » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:34 pm

That jersey is better looking than a lot of the newer ones, I don't know why anybody would feel that strongly. Green, cream, black, blue, and white seems alright to me relative the Christmas or Barney colors. Anything after those MECCA jerseys is going to look good.
FREE GIANNIS
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man

Post#173 » by DavidDunn21 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:14 pm

I'm not pimping the video I posted in this thread except to say I talked about this in that video.
The top teams never change. The bad brands always "evolve"

WimpyDeer
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#174 » by WimpyDeer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:01 pm

skones wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:
Finn wrote:Seats are full of fans wearing Bucks' gear. Do you REALLY think the owners will kick themselves for cohesiveness? If you do, I personally think you're off your rocker.

Every single team in the league is selling an abundance of apparel in different colors. The Lakers for example, Yellow, Purple, Black, Gray, Blue, White, etc. You're oversimplifying merchandise for the sake of your argument and not the reality in which it's actually being sold. Chicago, Red, Black, White, Grey, Baby Blue, etc. Boston, Green, White, Black, Grey, they've done gold/yellow accents. The list goes on.

I was specifically referring to jerseys, but ok.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#175 » by BroncoBuck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:09 pm

DavidDunn21 wrote:I'm not pimping the video I posted in this thread except to say I talked about this in that video.

New England Patriots agree to disagree :lol: 6 rings since switching to their current iteration of jersey
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man

Post#176 » by DavidDunn21 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:37 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:
DavidDunn21 wrote:I'm not pimping the video I posted in this thread except to say I talked about this in that video.

New England Patriots agree to disagree 6 rings since switching to their current iteration of jersey
That makes my point not yours

skones
RealGM

Post#177 » by skones » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:43 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
skones wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:

I was specifically referring to jerseys, but ok.

The Lakers have worn White, Black, and Blue. The Bulls have worn Gray, Green, those Chicago flag unis, the ones with the blue shorts. The Celtics have worn Gray, Black, and the ones with the yellow/gold accents. My point rings true. Either you're neglecting to acknowledge that it's happening, or you're just not paying that much attention.
skones
RealGM

Post#178 » by skones » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 pm

DavidDunn21 wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

New England Patriots agree to disagree 6 rings since switching to their current iteration of jersey
That makes my point not yours

Suppose you should get used to this iteration then.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,273

Post#179 » by Finn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:01 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
Finn wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:
Spoiler:

You said the owners will "realize they're idiots". My primary point is that if the seats are full, the owners won't care if the fans are wearing team colored tutus, in every color iteration in Bucks' history. I don't think it's possible for the owners to care less than they already do about what the fans wear, as long as it's some flavor of Bucks' gear.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,043

Post#180 » by MVP2110 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Finn wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:
Finn wrote:Seats are full of fans wearing Bucks' gear. Do you REALLY think the owners will kick themselves for cohesiveness? If you do, I personally think you're off your rocker.

You said the owners will "realize they're idiots". My primary point is that if the seats are full, the owners won't care if the fans are wearing team colored tutus, in every color iteration in Bucks' history. I don't think it's possible for the owners to care less than they already do about what the fans wear, as long as it's some flavor of Bucks' gear.

This

If people are buying Bucks gear the owners won't wear what color. You have someone like me, my favorite color is Yellow, so I went out and bought a bunch of yellow merch last year.

Also to act like some of the main NBA brands aren't doing this exact thing is crazy. As the above poster pointed out, the Bulls have worn, Red, Black, Green, Blue. The Lakers have worn Purple, Yellow, Black, Blue. It's happening league wide, and honestly I'm a fan of it. Having different colors makes matching stuff easier
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"

Return to Milwaukee Bucks