ImageImage

BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Which Throwback do you want this year?

1974 Road
23
18%
1982 Road
11
8%
1987 Home
25
19%
1987 Road
15
12%
1996 Deer Head Alt.
32
25%
2002 Purple Road
17
13%
2002 White/Purple Home
7
5%
 
Total votes: 130

User avatar
BJ Sandered
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,759
And1: 1,072
Joined: Mar 23, 2016
       

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#181 » by BJ Sandered » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:32 pm

I've never considered myself a fan of the Bucks latest rebrand. But Nike is largely to blame for the loss of strong visual brands in the NBA as a result of their forcing teams to make new jerseys every year. It's gimmicky, and as we're already seeing, lazy. The Bucks black uniform is a cut and paste/swap of their cream ones from two years ago. And you're seeing the same things all across the league.
Baddy Chuck wrote:Some heroes wear headbands instead of capes.
BradMKE
Junior
Posts: 354
And1: 258
Joined: Jun 04, 2014
     

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#182 » by BradMKE » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:50 pm

BJ Sandered wrote:I've never considered myself a fan of the Bucks latest rebrand. But Nike is largely to blame for the loss of strong visual brands in the NBA as a result of their forcing teams to make new jerseys every year. It's gimmicky, and as we're already seeing, lazy. The Bucks black uniform is a cut and paste/swap of their cream ones from two years ago. And you're seeing the same things all across the league.


Agreed re: Nike. Teams aren't going to spend the time and money to hire a designer to do a nice job on something new for a uniform that is going to be worn for 15 games and then never again. Much easier to do color swaps.

I also hate these temporary jerseys for how they'll look in a historical context. You could have a team win a title or a player set a single game record wearing some strange jersey that will never be remembered. You look back on photos and video of players of the past and you can instantly identify what team and what range of time it's from. Someone sees a photo of Giannis in 20 years wearing those yellow MECCA jerseys and will be very confused.
User avatar
DavidDunn21
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,286
And1: 1,111
Joined: Nov 19, 2014
   

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#183 » by DavidDunn21 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:21 am

skones wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:
Finn wrote:Seats are full of fans wearing Bucks' gear. Do you REALLY think the owners will kick themselves for cohesiveness? If you do, I personally think you're off your rocker.



The lower bowl someday will be filled with Bucks attire of the following colors: green, red, blue, black, yellow, white, cream, and purple eventually. That doesn't seem stupid to you? If someone asked you what colors do you associate with a team, your answer shouldn't be more than 5 lol. For example, Lakers: purple and gold. Bulls: red and white. Celtics: green and white. Etc.. The owners just want to sell jerseys and appease to every person in the worlds favorite color.


Every single team in the league is selling an abundance of apparel in different colors. The Lakers for example, Yellow, Purple, Black, Gray, Blue, White, etc. You're oversimplifying merchandise for the sake of your argument and not the reality in which it's actually being sold. Chicago, Red, Black, White, Grey, Baby Blue, etc. Boston, Green, White, Black, Grey, they've done gold/yellow accents. The list goes on.

You're being silly. Just because a few teams with monster brands are foolishly dipping their toes into making boutique uniforms doesn't remotely invalidate my overall point, which is unassailable. Yes, I'm sure the Bulls will soon have an alt. that looks like a Chicago dog and the Spurs will have an alt. that looks like the Riverwalk. This is stupid, but that's a story for a different day.

The best 3 brands/fanbases in the NFL are the Cowboys, the Packers and the Steelers. This is indisputable. Teams 4-8 are probably the Giants, the Raiders, the Bears and maybe the Niners with the Patriots in there somewhere due to their level of unprecedented winning. What do those teams have in common?

MLB in no particular order:
Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals, A's, Giants, Cubs, Red Sox, Tigers. What do those teams have in common?

Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida, UCLA, USC, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Auburn, Wisconsin. And so on.

Read on Twitter

Isn't this preferable? Isn't this look easier to pull off? Isn't this classier?
Image
User avatar
Finn
Rookie
Posts: 1,019
And1: 860
Joined: Aug 14, 2009
       

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#184 » by Finn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:20 am

Did you ever apply for a job on The Fashion Police? You'd make a good replacement for Joan Rivers.
talbert
Sophomore
Posts: 176
And1: 111
Joined: Mar 30, 2018
     

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#185 » by talbert » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 pm

The thing is, there's way more to a professional sports brand than the uniforms staying consistent. I'll never refute that the teams with the best brands have kept their uniforms the same. However, most of the teams that have never changed uniforms have also been successful in their respective sports. When a team is winning, ownership doesn't have to think of ways to keep the fans interested.

It will be interesting to see if the Patriots and the Warriors ever shake up their uniforms again. Especially the Warriors.
WimpyDeer
Sophomore
Posts: 207
And1: 121
Joined: Mar 12, 2015
   

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#186 » by WimpyDeer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Finn wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:
Finn wrote:Seats are full of fans wearing Bucks' gear. Do you REALLY think the owners will kick themselves for cohesiveness? If you do, I personally think you're off your rocker.

The lower bowl someday will be filled with Bucks attire of the following colors: green, red, blue, black, yellow, white, cream, and purple eventually. That doesn't seem stupid to you? If someone asked you what colors do you associate with a team, your answer shouldn't be more than 5 lol. For example, Lakers: purple and gold. Bulls: red and white. Celtics: green and white. Etc.. The owners just want to sell jerseys and appease to every person in the worlds favorite color.

You said the owners will "realize they're idiots". My primary point is that if the seats are full, the owners won't care if the fans are wearing team colored tutus, in every color iteration in Bucks' history. I don't think it's possible for the owners to care less than they already do about what the fans wear, as long as it's some flavor of Bucks' gear.


You think the variety of colors is what's selling Bucks' gear? The Bucks had the best record in the league last year. They're filling seats and selling merchandise regardless of color.

Imagine if the Packers also had red throwbacks. You don't think that would look stupid in a sea of green and gold at Lambeau?
MVP2110
Pro Prospect
Posts: 958
And1: 262
Joined: Jun 28, 2012
Location: Appleton WI
       

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#187 » by MVP2110 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:25 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
Finn wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:The lower bowl someday will be filled with Bucks attire of the following colors: green, red, blue, black, yellow, white, cream, and purple eventually. That doesn't seem stupid to you? If someone asked you what colors do you associate with a team, your answer shouldn't be more than 5 lol. For example, Lakers: purple and gold. Bulls: red and white. Celtics: green and white. Etc.. The owners just want to sell jerseys and appease to every person in the worlds favorite color.

You said the owners will "realize they're idiots". My primary point is that if the seats are full, the owners won't care if the fans are wearing team colored tutus, in every color iteration in Bucks' history. I don't think it's possible for the owners to care less than they already do about what the fans wear, as long as it's some flavor of Bucks' gear.


You think the variety of colors is what's selling Bucks' gear? The Bucks had the best record in the league last year. They're filling seats and selling merchandise regardless of color.

Imagine if the Packers also had red throwbacks. You don't think that would look stupid in a sea of green and gold at Lambeau?


I can verify that I specifically bought last year's city edition jersey, a yellow sweatshirt, and a yellow hat because yellow is my favorite color. I have a bunch of Bucks gear already so I'm pretty particular now about what I get
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
User avatar
JayMKE
RealGM
Posts: 18,982
And1: 6,083
Joined: Jun 21, 2010
Location: MI
     

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#188 » by JayMKE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm

How is more choice a bad thing? The Bucks don't have a classic brand, you can't compare them to the Packers.
FREE GIANNIS
User avatar
ClassicJack
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,511
And1: 669
Joined: Nov 24, 2005
     

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#189 » by ClassicJack » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:26 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:Imagine if the Packers also had red throwbacks. You don't think that would look stupid in a sea of green and gold at Lambeau?


They have blue throwbacks and it's fine.
F*** Marc Davis, f*** Tim Donaghy and f*** David Stern as a staff, record label and as a mothaf**kin crew......and if you wanna be down with Stern then F*** YOU TOO!!! Stu Jackson f*** you too.....all you mothaf**kas F*** YOU TOO!!!!
WimpyDeer
Sophomore
Posts: 207
And1: 121
Joined: Mar 12, 2015
   

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#190 » by WimpyDeer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:29 pm

JayMKE wrote:How is more choice a bad thing? The Bucks don't have a classic brand, you can't compare them to the Packers.


...and they never will.
skones
RealGM
Posts: 26,431
And1: 5,947
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: Milwaukee
     

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#191 » by skones » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:14 pm

DavidDunn21 wrote:You're being silly. Just because a few teams with monster brands are foolishly dipping their toes into making boutique uniforms doesn't remotely invalidate my overall point, which is unassailable. Yes, I'm sure the Bulls will soon have an alt. that looks like a Chicago dog and the Spurs will have an alt. that looks like the Riverwalk. This is stupid, but that's a story for a different day.

The best 3 brands/fanbases in the NFL are the Cowboys, the Packers and the Steelers. This is indisputable. Teams 4-8 are probably the Giants, the Raiders, the Bears and maybe the Niners with the Patriots in there somewhere due to their level of unprecedented winning. What do those teams have in common?

MLB in no particular order:
Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals, A's, Giants, Cubs, Red Sox, Tigers. What do those teams have in common?

Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida, UCLA, USC, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Auburn, Wisconsin. And so on.

Read on Twitter

Isn't this preferable? Isn't this look easier to pull off? Isn't this classier?


It's a story for a different day because it undermines your point and goes against your overarching BRAND CONTINUITY! argument? And I'm the one being silly? K. We're muddying up the waters and it's not working and it's dumb! *whispers* Other teams are muddying up the waters too. This jersey SUCKS! *whispers* well, they changed the color of the same jersey, it actually seems like there's some *gasp* continuity there.....

Best 3 brands/fanbases in the NFL, Indisputable! See we're speaking in absolutes about very disputable things.

History matters. You're sitting their arguing brands with a tremendous amount of history (ie. what makes the brand iconic) that Milwaukee can't hold a candle to. If Milwaukee had stuck with Green and Red and had continuity, there's just nothing to suggest that Milwaukee would be on the level of any of these brands, but of course, that"s not considered. Fans here remember the Bucks of the 80s fondly. Nobody anywhere else cares that they were 50 win ball clubs getting bounced in the conference semis.

Like I said, feel free to argue design and thoughts on that, but when it comes to "brand" and "brand building" it's ridiculous to argue that what's happening now isn't working, because A) evidence strongly suggests it is to this juncture, and B) you're arguing against an inconclusive time-frame with much longer time frames and speaking in absolutes.
User avatar
DavidDunn21
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,286
And1: 1,111
Joined: Nov 19, 2014
   

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#192 » by DavidDunn21 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:23 pm

skones wrote:
DavidDunn21 wrote:You're being silly. Just because a few teams with monster brands are foolishly dipping their toes into making boutique uniforms doesn't remotely invalidate my overall point, which is unassailable. Yes, I'm sure the Bulls will soon have an alt. that looks like a Chicago dog and the Spurs will have an alt. that looks like the Riverwalk. This is stupid, but that's a story for a different day.

The best 3 brands/fanbases in the NFL are the Cowboys, the Packers and the Steelers. This is indisputable. Teams 4-8 are probably the Giants, the Raiders, the Bears and maybe the Niners with the Patriots in there somewhere due to their level of unprecedented winning. What do those teams have in common?

MLB in no particular order:
Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals, A's, Giants, Cubs, Red Sox, Tigers. What do those teams have in common?

Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida, UCLA, USC, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Auburn, Wisconsin. And so on.

Read on Twitter

Isn't this preferable? Isn't this look easier to pull off? Isn't this classier?


It's a story for a different day because it undermines your point and goes against your overarching BRAND CONTINUITY! argument? And I'm the one being silly? K. We're muddying up the waters and it's not working and it's dumb! *whispers* Other teams are muddying up the waters too. This jersey SUCKS! *whispers* well, they changed the color of the same jersey, it actually seems like there's some *gasp* continuity there.....

Best 3 brands/fanbases in the NFL, Indisputable! See we're speaking in absolutes about very disputable things.

History matters. You're sitting their arguing brands with a tremendous amount of history (ie. what makes the brand iconic) that Milwaukee can't hold a candle to. If Milwaukee had stuck with Green and Red and had continuity, there's just nothing to suggest that Milwaukee would be on the level of any of these brands, but of course, that"s not considered. Fans here remember the Bucks of the 80s fondly. Nobody anywhere else cares that they were 50 win ball clubs getting bounced in the conference semis.

Like I said, feel free to argue design and thoughts on that, but when it comes to "brand" and "brand building" it's ridiculous to argue that what's happening now isn't working, because A) evidence strongly suggests it is to this juncture, and B) you're arguing against an inconclusive time-frame with much longer time frames and speaking in absolutes.

C'mon.

I can't tell if you're being serious. "It's a story for a different day" because most everyone who cares about this stuff has been railing against Nike coming out with too many ridiculous sets since they got the NBA contract. You saying "but the Bulls have worn blue!" (to match the state or city flag or whatever) intentionally ignores the fact that the Bulls have looked virtually the same since 1966. In fact the shorts they wear are the same shorts from their inaugural season. Same with the Lakers and Celtics. Other teams are muddying up the waters, we're muddying up our cesspool.

Look at Portland, a one championship team just like us. All Portland does is release slightly different attractive versions of the same look with the same colors. It helps cement their status. It says: "We know we're not the sexiest city in America, but we are the Portland Trailblazers, and we have a legacy here that we support!" That's what branding is. It's positioning. They don't position themselves as aggressive and extreme. They position themselves as a lovable college-town.

We have no branding and no positioning. We will continue to throw ideas against the wall until Giannis leaves (or stays). When he leaves (or retires) we will be left with zero visual footprint. Just like the Cavs now. Just a fad that came and went.

Frankly it's odd given that I assume most here are Packer fans that many don't intuitively grasp this.
Image
User avatar
JayMKE
RealGM
Posts: 18,982
And1: 6,083
Joined: Jun 21, 2010
Location: MI
     

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#193 » by JayMKE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:46 pm

The worst jerseys the team ever had was the green/red reboot road trashbag ones from not too long ago. Bucks aren't and never will be the Lakers/Bulls/Celtics or Packers/Cowboys/Steelers and trying to be just makes you look lame & boring af most of the time like Brooklyn does now.
FREE GIANNIS
User avatar
DavidDunn21
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,286
And1: 1,111
Joined: Nov 19, 2014
   

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#194 » by DavidDunn21 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:47 pm

talbert wrote:The thing is, there's way more to a professional sports brand than the uniforms staying consistent. I'll never refute that the teams with the best brands have kept their uniforms the same. However, most of the teams that have never changed uniforms have also been successful in their respective sports. When a team is winning, ownership doesn't have to think of ways to keep the fans interested.

It will be interesting to see if the Patriots and the Warriors ever shake up their uniforms again. Especially the Warriors.

The Detroit Lions have a below average brand. The height of their popularity was Eddie Murphy's Beverly Hills cop jacket. But one day the law of averages says they'll be on top and if they still look basically like they did when Barry Sanders played, nostalgia kicks in. A bunch of Michigan grandfathers feel a twinge for when their fathers took them to the Pontiac Silverdome. If by then they've changed their kits to all black in honor of Henry Ford and the Model T, the effect is lessened. They still sell a bunch of jerseys, but they don't look like the Detroit Lions. They aren't dressed like the lovable losers who finally became the champions. This was true of the Cubs. This is true of all teams. Sports are a generational transaction.
Image
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 47,902
And1: 17,830
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#195 » by emunney » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:55 pm

One thing I think DD and I agree 100% on, and this is something we should all agree on whether we liked the look of the actual uniforms or not, is that the move to purple was **** ridiculous.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
Sneakerpants
RealGM
Posts: 13,162
And1: 41
Joined: Feb 21, 2005
Location: MA
 

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#196 » by Sneakerpants » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:34 pm

The current Bucks color scheme is really nice. It's unique in sports, and fairly low-key/inoffensive. If for whatever reason it doesn't age well, we could focus on white & forest green and downplay the other colors.
ColeWorld23
Rookie
Posts: 1,189
And1: 340
Joined: May 11, 2012
Location: Milwaukee
     

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#197 » by ColeWorld23 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:51 am

Wasn’t there suppose to be a green alternate around like 2004? It was the opposite of our purple green uniforms with purple on the side and green as the primary color letters being purple. I swear I’ve seen a Desmond Mason one before and read about the Bucks scrapping it last minute.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4vi3ab/before_the_200405_season_the_milwaukee_bucks_were/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4x984x/here_is_a_newlyreleased_image_of_the_200405/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Here’s one. I’m looking for the other one I’ve seen. It had the same template as the road purple uniforms just green.

Edit: found it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Allen-Milwaukee-Bucks-34-NBA-Reebok-Alternate-Green-Jersey-Size-2XL-Vintage/113925010721?hash=item1a8675b521:g:UQwAAOSwM31dpiuY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Reebok-Milwaukee-Bucks-Ray-Allen-Jersey-Youth-Jersey-Size-Small/183756569886?hash=item2ac8bebd1e:g:JUAAAOSw-ttceNIn

I remember seeing this at Kohl’s back in the day. Anybody know why these were never used?
User avatar
Finn
Rookie
Posts: 1,019
And1: 860
Joined: Aug 14, 2009
       

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#198 » by Finn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:48 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
Finn wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:The lower bowl someday will be filled with Bucks attire of the following colors: green, red, blue, black, yellow, white, cream, and purple eventually. That doesn't seem stupid to you? If someone asked you what colors do you associate with a team, your answer shouldn't be more than 5 lol. For example, Lakers: purple and gold. Bulls: red and white. Celtics: green and white. Etc.. The owners just want to sell jerseys and appease to every person in the worlds favorite color.

You said the owners will "realize they're idiots". My primary point is that if the seats are full, the owners won't care if the fans are wearing team colored tutus, in every color iteration in Bucks' history. I don't think it's possible for the owners to care less than they already do about what the fans wear, as long as it's some flavor of Bucks' gear.

You think the variety of colors is what's selling Bucks' gear? The Bucks had the best record in the league last year. They're filling seats and selling merchandise regardless of color.

Imagine if the Packers also had red throwbacks. You don't think that would look stupid in a sea of green and gold at Lambeau?

You keep missing my entire point. You started off saying the owners would "realize they're idiots" because of looking out at a kaleidoscope of colors in the stands (i.e., fans not in matching colors). I'm saying if the seats are full of fans in ANY BUCKS GEAR, they couldn't care less what the colors are. The owners won't care if they sell 1 jersey style or 100 - as long as the seats are full & fans are wearing Bucks gear, they will be happy. They are not worried at all about presenting a cohesive color scheme in the stands.

I also couldn't care less if the Packers had red throwbacks in a sea of green & gold. Worrying about jersey colors is a waste of time. Complaining about jersey colors is a waste of time.
MVP2110
Pro Prospect
Posts: 958
And1: 262
Joined: Jun 28, 2012
Location: Appleton WI
       

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#199 » by MVP2110 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:51 pm

Personally I never notice what color other fans are in except when teams do specific colors for all fans.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
User avatar
DavidDunn21
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,286
And1: 1,111
Joined: Nov 19, 2014
   

Re: BUCKS UNIFORM THREAD 

Post#200 » by DavidDunn21 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:28 am

ColeWorld23 wrote:Wasn’t there suppose to be a green alternate around like 2004? It was the opposite of our purple green uniforms with purple on the side and green as the primary color letters being purple. I swear I’ve seen a Desmond Mason one before and read about the Bucks scrapping it last minute.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4vi3ab/before_the_200405_season_the_milwaukee_bucks_were/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4x984x/here_is_a_newlyreleased_image_of_the_200405/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Here’s one. I’m looking for the other one I’ve seen. It had the same template as the road purple uniforms just green.

Edit: found it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Allen-Milwaukee-Bucks-34-NBA-Reebok-Alternate-Green-Jersey-Size-2XL-Vintage/113925010721?hash=item1a8675b521:g:UQwAAOSwM31dpiuY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Reebok-Milwaukee-Bucks-Ray-Allen-Jersey-Youth-Jersey-Size-Small/183756569886?hash=item2ac8bebd1e:g:JUAAAOSw-ttceNIn

I remember seeing this at Kohl’s back in the day. Anybody know why these were never used?

Sorry I forgot to respond to this....I remember seeing those in stores at the time as well. I suppose I probably just assumed that it was part of the trend at the time of teams putting out all sorts of colors with the same templates. For example my homie at the time had a satin Yankees jacket that was Royal blue and yellow.
Image

Return to Milwaukee Bucks