ImageImage

Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

User avatar
engelmartin
Analyst
Posts: 3,068
And1: 1,237
Joined: Jun 03, 2013
         

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#841 » by engelmartin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Markus Howard in the second? Would love to watch him in summer league... or maybe winter league?
Baddy Chuck wrote:
The idea that Thon would have the coordination to jump around on trampolines while playing basketball is lost on me.
User avatar
machu46
Head Coach
Posts: 6,885
And1: 1,809
Joined: Jun 28, 2012
Location: DC
       

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#842 » by machu46 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Mannion is one of those guys where I think teams taking him in the 1st round are doing it more based on what they saw in high school than what they saw in college and even as someone that thinks he's worth considering, it is admittedly a pretty massive risk.

I think he's probably a better shooter than his numbers suggest and I like his passing ability a lot, but man, I really wish we could see him as a sophomore in college before we had to draft him. I think there's enough prospects that I'll prefer over him that it's best to just let another team gamble on him, but I am still kinda interested.

Maledon was one of the guys that jumped out at me like a year ago and he remains one of the guys I'm most interested in now.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#843 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:37 pm

machu46 wrote:Mannion is one of those guys where I think teams taking him in the 1st round are doing it more based on what they saw in high school than what they saw in college and even as someone that thinks he's worth considering, it is admittedly a pretty massive risk.

I think he's probably a better shooter than his numbers suggest and I like his passing ability a lot, but man, I really wish we could see him as a sophomore in college before we had to draft him. I think there's enough prospects that I'll prefer over him that it's best to just let another team gamble on him, but I am still kinda interested.

Maledon was one of the guys that jumped out at me like a year ago and he remains one of the guys I'm most interested in now.


I guess one thing to remember is this season should have been his senior year of HS. If you're a believer in his shooting being plus-plus at some point, then i guess go for it. But there are already other dudes who shoot a lot better and don't have alligator arms.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 49,538
And1: 20,115
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#844 » by emunney » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Offensively Mannion passes the eye test in a lot of ways. I don't think it's just about high school and guys are more than their numbers. Sometimes there's a lag in production. It means something that he was running that team full time, and FT% is often a leading indicator of long term shooting ability. It's not damning to be overall inefficient as a college freshman.

Badgerlander posted his midrange #s, which are very good, and you have to account for the fact that he's getting all that himself and that he's the guy taking the tough shots on that team. He's got a NBA-style skillset for sure, jury's out on whether it will be NBA-quality.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.

Run. Dunk. Repeat.
User avatar
Ron Swanson
RealGM
Posts: 15,022
And1: 10,504
Joined: May 15, 2013

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#845 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:05 pm

I guess I just don't even see what his theoretical upside is. A worse defensive version of Jamaal Tinsley? He has to improve in so many areas in order to become a difference-maker at the pro level. He's an advanced passer/floor general but guys like that who can't defend or space the floor consistently is a player archetype that's getting phased out of the league.
User avatar
machu46
Head Coach
Posts: 6,885
And1: 1,809
Joined: Jun 28, 2012
Location: DC
       

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#846 » by machu46 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:12 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
machu46 wrote:Mannion is one of those guys where I think teams taking him in the 1st round are doing it more based on what they saw in high school than what they saw in college and even as someone that thinks he's worth considering, it is admittedly a pretty massive risk.

I think he's probably a better shooter than his numbers suggest and I like his passing ability a lot, but man, I really wish we could see him as a sophomore in college before we had to draft him. I think there's enough prospects that I'll prefer over him that it's best to just let another team gamble on him, but I am still kinda interested.

Maledon was one of the guys that jumped out at me like a year ago and he remains one of the guys I'm most interested in now.


I guess one thing to remember is this season should have been his senior year of HS. If you're a believer in his shooting being plus-plus at some point, then i guess go for it. But there are already other dudes who shoot a lot better and don't have alligator arms.


There's undoubtedly better shooters if that's all you're looking for. I don't think there are many better passers though, and passers that could potentially be good shooters are even more limited.

Still though, of the realistic PG targets for us, he's probably somewhere around 5th or so so I doubt he'll be the guy I want when the time comes.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
User avatar
Badgerlander
RealGM
Posts: 24,044
And1: 5,000
Joined: Jun 29, 2007
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#847 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:45 pm

emunney wrote:Offensively Mannion passes the eye test in a lot of ways. I don't think it's just about high school and guys are more than their numbers. Sometimes there's a lag in production. It means something that he was running that team full time, and FT% is often a leading indicator of long term shooting ability. It's not damning to be overall inefficient as a college freshman.

Badgerlander posted his midrange #s, which are very good, and you have to account for the fact that he's getting all that himself and that he's the guy taking the tough shots on that team. He's got a NBA-style skillset for sure, jury's out on whether it will be NBA-quality.


Yeah I think at the point we are at in the draft (if it falls like the athletic mock) we are either drafting a young project (Maledon, Mannion, etc) that you hope develops into a starting caliber nba player, or you are grabbing a guy that you hope their ceiling is more than a role player (Bane, Green, Riller, etc). Feels a lot like the DJ Wilson Draft.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."


Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 49,538
And1: 20,115
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#848 » by emunney » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
emunney wrote:Offensively Mannion passes the eye test in a lot of ways. I don't think it's just about high school and guys are more than their numbers. Sometimes there's a lag in production. It means something that he was running that team full time, and FT% is often a leading indicator of long term shooting ability. It's not damning to be overall inefficient as a college freshman.

Badgerlander posted his midrange #s, which are very good, and you have to account for the fact that he's getting all that himself and that he's the guy taking the tough shots on that team. He's got a NBA-style skillset for sure, jury's out on whether it will be NBA-quality.


Yeah I think at the point we are at in the draft (if it falls like the athletic mock) we are either drafting a young project (Maledon, Mannion, etc) that you hope develops into a starting caliber nba player, or you are grabbing a guy that you hope their ceiling is more than a role player (Bane, Green, Riller, etc). Feels a lot like the DJ Wilson Draft.


The Year the Owner's Son Posted Our Draft Board on Twitter
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.

Run. Dunk. Repeat.
User avatar
Ron Swanson
RealGM
Posts: 15,022
And1: 10,504
Joined: May 15, 2013

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#849 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Also the year where we passed on some really good players (John Collins, OG Anunoby) who might be future All-Stars or All-Defense guys. Exhibit A on why not to draft guys for specific roles or needs.
LuessiT
General Manager
Posts: 7,517
And1: 1,871
Joined: Jan 08, 2016
 

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#850 » by LuessiT » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 pm

My problem with the Maledon projections is that I don't think he's that much of a gamble nor does he have that crazy of a ceiling. If you have a decent development team in place and don't need production from your rookie, I actually think he's a pretty safe pick.
User avatar
RiotPunch
RealGM
Posts: 17,482
And1: 5,664
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: LA
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#851 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:56 pm

LuessiT wrote:My problem with the Maledon projections is that I don't think he's that much of a gamble nor does he have that crazy of a ceiling. If you have a decent development team in place and don't need production from your rookie, I actually think he's a pretty safe pick.

Agreed. He's just pretty solid. He's a good shooter, capable passer and you love the size. Obviously to be able to contribute as he has in EuroLeage at his age doesn't hurt either.

I really do worry about his burst though, on both ends. He struggles often to get by dudes now and finds teammates more out of necessity because he can't turn the corner rather than out of anticipation. On defense, he struggles in space and has too many head-scratching rotations for my liking. Sort of a jumbo-Jalen Brunson meets NAW type, in my view.
Image
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
Posts: 16,549
And1: 10,081
Joined: May 23, 2004

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#852 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:41 pm

I would trade this pick for Gary Trent Jr.
User avatar
BucksFanSD
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,788
And1: 539
Joined: Jun 28, 2012

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#853 » by BucksFanSD » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:I would trade this pick for Gary Trent Jr.


As would I. For the 2018 draft I had Mitchell Robinson and Gary Trent Jr. as my 1a and 1b desires for the Bucks pick at #17 overall. They ended up being drafted #36 and #37, way lower than I expected them to go. I do think Tyrell Terry could match Trent's shooting ability from long range, which either of them would be huge for Giannis.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 49,538
And1: 20,115
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#854 » by emunney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Portland played with some weird ass lineups this year.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.

Run. Dunk. Repeat.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 49,538
And1: 20,115
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#855 » by emunney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:38 pm

I'm on the fence on trading the pick for Trent. If he looks like an ascending scorer next summer, which you'd hope he is if you make the trade, he's going to be extremely difficult for us to keep. The cost certainty of the 1st rounder should be very appealing to a team looking for short-term continuity. That said, if you think he's Buddy Hield, and assuming he is, you'd do what you needed to do to keep him as a core piece and a guy who can panic the defense alongside Giannis and Khris, I get it.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.

Run. Dunk. Repeat.
User avatar
Ron Swanson
RealGM
Posts: 15,022
And1: 10,504
Joined: May 15, 2013

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#856 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:47 pm

I mean, you better hope he's Buddy Hield if you're gonna pay him based on the one season he'd play for you as a bench wing. I'd much rather just use that pick to get 4 cheap years of a similar type player. No shortage of sharpshooting wings in this class.
User avatar
M-C-G
RealGM
Posts: 19,279
And1: 7,300
Joined: Jan 13, 2013
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#857 » by M-C-G » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I mean, you better hope he's Buddy Hield if you're gonna pay him based on the one season he'd play for you as a bench wing. I'd much rather just use that pick to get 4 cheap years of a similar type player. No shortage of sharpshooting wings in this class.


This was exactly what I was thinking. Trading for the last year of a guy and then being forced to decide to resign him or let him walk is not the position we need to be in. Cost controlled assets on the other hand, that works for me. Plus, I really want to see what Bud and Horst do in this next draft. Was DDV a fluke, beautiful chemistry between a coach and GM, something in between?

If DDV is an output of their chemistry together, draft picks just got a lot more valuable to us.
User avatar
RiotPunch
RealGM
Posts: 17,482
And1: 5,664
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: LA
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#858 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 pm

It is more of a philosophical discussion re: Trent.

Production and spacing now, and worrying about financials later versus a *chance* at similar production and spacing at a far lower cost.

It is interesting. Depending on the board at #19, and if we could get #44 included, I would entertain the idea. I think the early/mid 40's is a good place to be this draft to land a solid player. Undervalued dudes like Bane, Joe, Flynn, Mays, Tillie could easily drop to that range.
Image
User avatar
Badgerlander
RealGM
Posts: 24,044
And1: 5,000
Joined: Jun 29, 2007
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#859 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:56 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21


Sounds like Trent may be in the rotation in Orlando
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."


Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
User avatar
Badgerlander
RealGM
Posts: 24,044
And1: 5,000
Joined: Jun 29, 2007
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#860 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."


Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks