ImageImage

Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 49,538
And1: 20,115
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#881 » by emunney » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:01 pm

Yam Yam Yam



100% baller. Baffling to me he's not in any 1st round discussions.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.

Run. Dunk. Repeat.
User avatar
StickeeFingaz
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,428
And1: 2,899
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#882 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Thought he was a lefty after watching the first few highlights but is just apparently skilled with both hands.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#883 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:56 pm



Like his handle.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
crkone
RealGM
Posts: 24,493
And1: 5,785
Joined: Aug 16, 2006

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#884 » by crkone » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:39 pm

Code: Select all

            ________
    o      |   __   |
      \_ O |  |__|  |
   ____/ \ |___WW___|
   __/   /     ||
               ||
               ||
_______________||________________
User avatar
Badgerlander
RealGM
Posts: 24,044
And1: 5,000
Joined: Jun 29, 2007
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#885 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 pm

emunney wrote:Yam Yam Yam



100% baller. Baffling to me he's not in any 1st round discussions.


Yeah and his on ball defense is stifling so he’s right there with Maledon, and Mannion. Think how he’s playing right now has him on the radar. Plays below the rim but I think he might be more athletic than that.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."


Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,575
And1: 6,657
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#886 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:39 pm

I dunno - I mean... he's a fun player, who makes some spectacular high risk passes, but he's not built for the NBA, imo. Listed at 6'2 180 but he looks even smaller than that. When you're small, you have to make up for it some way, and he's only an ok athlete without a good 3 point shot and just an ok scorer. His assists weren't even all that high. I see him as a guy who's going to have to prove himself in the G League - or just have a nice career in Isreal. He does defend well, but does that harrassing style work in the NBA - where everyone has a good ball-handler or 2? And he'll get killed on switches because of his size.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
Badgerlander
RealGM
Posts: 24,044
And1: 5,000
Joined: Jun 29, 2007
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#887 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:46 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."


Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
Posts: 16,549
And1: 10,081
Joined: May 23, 2004

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#888 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:30 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I mean, you better hope he's Buddy Hield if you're gonna pay him based on the one season he'd play for you as a bench wing. I'd much rather just use that pick to get 4 cheap years of a similar type player. No shortage of sharpshooting wings in this class.


This was exactly what I was thinking. Trading for the last year of a guy and then being forced to decide to resign him or let him walk is not the position we need to be in. Cost controlled assets on the other hand, that works for me. Plus, I really want to see what Bud and Horst do in this next draft. Was DDV a fluke, beautiful chemistry between a coach and GM, something in between?

If DDV is an output of their chemistry together, draft picks just got a lot more valuable to us.


My thought is we’re in such a unique place on the cusp of a title that however much betterTrent Jr. is than the rookie taken at #19 for the next four years is really significant. He’s 21 and fits our system to a tee. If he’s good enough to command an insane salary that likely means he put us over the top for a title. Worst case he’s already a proven rotation wing and replacement (soon to be upgrade) over Wes Matthews. Probably not a trade I’d make in most situations given the importance of rookie deals, but for us it feels like a no brainier.
LuessiT
General Manager
Posts: 7,517
And1: 1,871
Joined: Jan 08, 2016
 

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#889 » by LuessiT » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:37 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I mean, you better hope he's Buddy Hield if you're gonna pay him based on the one season he'd play for you as a bench wing. I'd much rather just use that pick to get 4 cheap years of a similar type player. No shortage of sharpshooting wings in this class.


This was exactly what I was thinking. Trading for the last year of a guy and then being forced to decide to resign him or let him walk is not the position we need to be in. Cost controlled assets on the other hand, that works for me. Plus, I really want to see what Bud and Horst do in this next draft. Was DDV a fluke, beautiful chemistry between a coach and GM, something in between?

If DDV is an output of their chemistry together, draft picks just got a lot more valuable to us.


My thought is we’re in such a unique place on the cusp of a title that however much betterTrent Jr. is than the rookie taken at #19 for the next four years is really significant. He’s 21 and fits our system to a tee. If he’s good enough to command an insane salary that likely means he put us over the top for a title. Worst case he’s already a proven rotation wing and replacement (soon to be upgrade) over Wes Matthews. Probably not a trade I’d make in most situations given the importance of rookie deals, but for us it feels like a no brainier.


I mean I'm not super familiar with how Trent has done in Portland but lets say he has an absolutely superb year: Aren't we in absolute cap hell with Giannis' supermax if we're matching a 20m offer?
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
Posts: 16,549
And1: 10,081
Joined: May 23, 2004

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#890 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:48 pm

I honestly don’t know the cap situation, not my specialty. If it comes to it, I also think a young wing on his 2nd contract is a better trade chip than a recent #19 draftee, whose rookie deal his team is already looking unload. The “driving the new car off the lot” depreciation thing is real. There’s a reason they haven’t been able to unload #17 pick DJ Wilson, in the tradition of Rashad Vaughn who came before him.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#891 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:48 pm

Brought it up in another thread, but who's this draft's version of Donte?

ETA: I always forget it's Donte with am O.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

German Athens
Sophomore
Posts: 194
And1: 24
Joined: Apr 10, 2015
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#892 » by German Athens » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:12 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Brought it up in another thread, but who's this draft's version of Dante?



Josh green maybe? High iq, athletic, dedicated defensively, decent but not great shooter. He seems to be an all around player.
User avatar
RiotPunch
RealGM
Posts: 17,482
And1: 5,664
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: LA
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#893 » by RiotPunch » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Brought it up in another thread, but who's this draft's version of Dante?

Stylistically or in terms of readiness to contribute early?

Defensively, Bolmaro really reminds me of Donte. Relentless at POA, highly anticipatory jumping passing lanes, just produces extra possessions with effort and IQ. On offense, they differ a bit, as Bolmaro is a far superior initiator and Donte is the better shooter (at the moment).

Other guys that would fit in seamlessly and likely earn PT early would be Haliburton, Maxey, PatWill, Bane.
Image
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#894 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:27 am

RiotPunch wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Brought it up in another thread, but who's this draft's version of Dante?

Stylistically or in terms of readiness to contribute early?

Defensively, Bolmaro really reminds me of Donte. Relentless at POA, highly anticipatory jumping passing lanes, just produces extra possessions with effort and IQ. On offense, they differ a bit, as Bolmaro is a far superior initiator and Donte is the better shooter (at the moment).

Other guys that would fit in seamlessly and likely earn PT early would be Haliburton, Maxey, PatWill, Bane.


Haliburton was my pie in the sky hope back in October. Then it was Vassell, and now they're both seemingly way out of range.

Ready made traits is what I'm thinking.

Athletic, high energy, high BBIQ, doesn't need the ball to be a winning player. Jump shot is preferred.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
RiotPunch
RealGM
Posts: 17,482
And1: 5,664
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: LA
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#895 » by RiotPunch » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:35 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Brought it up in another thread, but who's this draft's version of Dante?

Stylistically or in terms of readiness to contribute early?

Defensively, Bolmaro really reminds me of Donte. Relentless at POA, highly anticipatory jumping passing lanes, just produces extra possessions with effort and IQ. On offense, they differ a bit, as Bolmaro is a far superior initiator and Donte is the better shooter (at the moment).

Other guys that would fit in seamlessly and likely earn PT early would be Haliburton, Maxey, PatWill, Bane.


Ready made traits is what I'm thinking.

Athletic, high energy, high BBIQ, doesn't need the ball to be a winning player. Jump shot is preferred.


Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if both go Top-10. Hali is a polarizing guy though, so who knows for sure.

Not sure any one guy checks all of those boxes, but I'd rank those types as follows:

Tyrese Maxey
Devin Vassell
Isaac Okoro (questionable shot)
Patrick Williams
Tyrese Haliburton (slight frame, unorthodox mechanics)
Kira Lewis (slight frame, decent BBIQ)
Josh Green (questionable shot)
Leandro Bolmaro (limited athlete, questionable shot, but very high effort and BBIQ with suffocating D)
Desmond Bane (lateral movement issues)
Nate Hinton (amazing wing rebounder/defender, I buy the shot)
Ty-Shon Alexander (3&D high energy type)
Skylar Mays (Limited athlete, but just a winner, does a bit of everything)
Image
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 27,120
And1: 3,876
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#896 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:01 am

Didn't see it mentioned yet - Sabonis has a 'significant' foot injury and is leaving the bubble for opinions.
LuessiT
General Manager
Posts: 7,517
And1: 1,871
Joined: Jan 08, 2016
 

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#897 » by LuessiT » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:00 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Didn't see it mentioned yet - Sabonis has a 'significant' foot injury and is leaving the bubble for opinions.


Was mentioned in another thread but it does have significant impact on the pick. Looks like it could be #17 which is about as good as it gets since it's lotto protected.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 49,538
And1: 20,115
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#898 » by emunney » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:04 am

He's not a guard but Bey does have that Nova mojo.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.

Run. Dunk. Repeat.
User avatar
RiotPunch
RealGM
Posts: 17,482
And1: 5,664
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: LA
     

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#899 » by RiotPunch » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:18 am

Forgot to mention Hampton as maybe the biggest athlete + motor guy, but he has really bad defensive IQ and the shot leaves a lot to be desired.

Saddiq you at least know what you're getting. A maxed out Nova product, smart player and can really shoot it. I think he is pretty strictly an NBA 4 though, do not see him hanging with NBA wings at all, despite his intelligence level.
Image
LuessiT
General Manager
Posts: 7,517
And1: 1,871
Joined: Jan 08, 2016
 

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#900 » by LuessiT » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:12 am

RiotPunch wrote:Forgot to mention Hampton as maybe the biggest athlete + motor guy, but he has really bad defensive IQ and the shot leaves a lot to be desired.

Saddiq you at least know what you're getting. A maxed out Nova product, smart player and can really shoot it. I think he is pretty strictly an NBA 4 though, do not see him hanging with NBA wings at all, despite his intelligence level.


Imo Hampton improved a lot defensively over the year. TBF given where he was at it couldn't get any worse but I like how his motor picked up big time. It's a long way to go but I don't see why he can't be an impactful defender.
What I really like about him is his vision and passing ability. Makes some very advanced reads on the fly.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks