ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,528

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Ted Davis moves back to Texas pg 20 

Post#401 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:15 pm

Please don't swap Lisa for Zora. Both bad. Zora is fine in her current role.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
doublejman69
Ballboy
And1: 16

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Ted Davis moves back to Texas pg 20 

Post#402 » by doublejman69 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm

What I’ve heard is that the bucks told Ted Davis to get vaccinated or retire and he retired, he was pushing for doing the broadcast remote but At least for TV almost all boardcasters are on-site.

I don’t take to much in stock about WTMJ pressuring the bucks/Ted of only doing the bucks radio job or 97.3, Iheart/97.3 is paying those guys almost nothing, it’s a second job for most of them. If he wanted to do a talk show too craig would put him on his station 94.5, it’s not like 97.3 is special or anything.

Regarding the packers leaving WTMJ, 97.3 went all in to get them, 97.3 had a lot of missteps starting up, they tried to land bob and Brian from 102.9 for mornings and couldn’t, they tried to get the bucks and brewers and they stayed with WTMJ. One thing they did do right is they brought in a lot of behind the scenes people from WTMJ (ad and marketing) after long time owner Journal sold WTMJ to Scripps, Scripps didn’t know how to run radio stations and the people running WTMJ practically begged Scripps into selling the radio stations. It sounds like the packer deal is less than 10 years so maybe 5-7, if the packers win a Super Bowl, 97.3 will look like geniuses but if there a full rebuild for 2 or 3 years with no playoff wins, I can’t see Iheart keeping the packers and the sports format when the contract runs out, 97.3 is still expensive to run. It’s much cheaper to run a music format and plug in personalities from Dallas or LA.
doublejman69
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#403 » by doublejman69 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:36 pm

I would give Lisa one more year. It took Wayne Larrivee and Ted Davis a year or 2 to really find there grove.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,600

Post#404 » by tski1972 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:03 pm

doublejman69 wrote:I would give Lisa one more year. It took Wayne Larrivee and Ted Davis a year or 2 to really find there grove.

Wayne Larrivee, in my opinion, is easily the most unlistenable announcer of all the state teams. Makes me want to stab stakes through my ears.

Concerning Byington, she’s okay, but Marques is the star.

I’ve only heard Koehn a couple of times and wasn’t impressed. Called players by their wrong names and kept screwing up the score.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#405 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:07 pm

I like Wayne although I'll admit I rarely hear him as I watch all Packer games on TV.

There was a time when Jim Irwin did Packers, Bucks and Badgers football. Many weekends he's do a Badgers game Saturday afternoon, a Bucks game Saturday night and a Packers game Sunday afternoon.

I'd also give Lisa one more year. I think she sees this as a stepping stone to an ESPN gig anyway, no way she wants to be here for the long term.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#406 » by FrieAaron » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:17 pm

I think Lisa and Marques continued to get better as a team throughout the season (as is to be expected). The last month or two I've enjoyed the broadcasts much more than most other teams out there.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#407 » by Diggr14 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:39 pm

doublejman69 wrote:I would give Lisa one more year. It took Wayne Larrivee and Ted Davis a year or 2 to really find there grove.

It's hard to watch a bucks broadcast with the volume on anymore.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#408 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:59 pm

Whatever happened, I just find the Ted stuff very unfortunate. Much like Paschke, Ted was the voice for multiple generations, stuck through lean years, and was fantastic PxP guy. He definitely deserved a more ceremonious exit than he got. I'm glad he finally got his ring at least.

For that matter, Krause too. He has been more quiet and should've gotten some kind of recognition too.

I haven't listened to the new radio crew much, but seem alright. I've struggled with Lisa, but probably deserves another year. I dont think she will be here long term. This is likely a resume builder.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#409 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:41 pm

FrieAaron wrote:I think Lisa and Marques continued to get better as a team throughout the season (as is to be expected). The last month or two I've enjoyed the broadcasts much more than most other teams out there.

There are definitely some horrible broadcast teams out there. I don't have league pass but games on NBATV have local announcers of one of the teams and most are terrible. Beyond the expected homerism.
JBucks
Analyst
And1: 393

Post#410 » by JBucks » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:04 pm

I have LP, so I'm able to hear broadcasts from all teams. The Bucks are near the bottom, if not dead last. Marques is the only person worth tuning in for. It's such a shame. I give credit to the Bucks for going out on a limb and hiring Lisa, but I just...I can't listen to her. I also don't get the fascination with Zora...she ain't it either — just another in a long line of awful sideline reporters (Telly, Novak, etc.)

Find streams from other teams and listen to them, and you'll quickly realize we're at a serious deficit.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#411 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:12 pm

There will be an opening on the pre and post game shows with Dario joining channel 12 as sports director (he used to do weekend reporting there). I believe he starts there next week. Maybe he'll finish out the Bucks season.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#412 » by FrieAaron » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:21 pm

JBucks wrote:
Find streams from other teams and listen to them, and you'll quickly realize we're at a serious deficit.

I do. This is an insane take. Off the top of my head I can't stand Miami, Philly or Brooklyn's broadcast. San Antonio's is one of the best. I think the Lakers and Sacramento are pretty good if I recall.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,134

Post#413 » by BigO » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:24 pm

Dario is another one I can't stand. I do think Lisa has gotten better. The worst is Novak. The best is Marques.

In terms of national teams, I just find that they are so uninformed on individual teams that they just recite statistics and have no insight into how teams play. On one of the recent games, one of them stated the Bucks are an elite defensive team. No, they aren't, but they are near elite on offense and nothing was mentioned.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#414 » by FlagsFlyForever » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:36 pm

There is no way I'd put the Bucks broadcasters near the bottom of the league but I'm also not as down on Lisa or Zora as other people.

Lisa is fine but I think her biggest weaknesses are she doesn't have great chemistry with Marques (though it did noticeably improve later in the season) and she doesn't understand the NBA all that well. Both should improve as she gains more experience. Zora is 28 with virtually no play-by-play expedience. She will get better.

My biggest hope is that we are willing to move on from Bardo and try to find another B team color commentator. Novak didn't work. Bardo didn't work. Keep trying to find somebody. Marques is 66 and he doesn't live in Wisconsin.
Read on Twitter
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#415 » by LittleRooster » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:46 pm

FlagsFlyForever wrote:There is no way I'd put the Bucks broadcasters near the bottom of the league but I'm also not as down on Lisa or Zora as other people.

Lisa is fine but I think her biggest weaknesses are she doesn't have great chemistry with Marques (though it did noticeably improve later in the season) and she doesn't understand the NBA all that well. Both should improve as she gains more experience. Zora is 28 with virtually no play-by-play expedience. She will get better.

My biggest hope is that we are willing to move on from Bardo and try to find another B team color commentator. Novak didn't work. Bardo didn't work. Keep trying to find somebody. Marques is 66 and he doesn't live in Wisconsin.

I wonder if they should go after someone with Bucks ties, like a Glenn Robinson, for example to be the 2nd color guy

I’m not suggesting Glenn, but someone like him

Scott Williams would probably be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,215

Post#416 » by Chad34 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:36 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:So Ted Davis heads back to Texas.

If you read between the lines, the Bucks canned him, and he’s still collecting some remaining portion of his contract dollars, hence he can’t discuss it until some date in the future.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/television-radio/2022/04/11/former-bucks-announcer-ted-davis-leaves-full-time-milwaukee-radio-gig/7282217001/

I thought he was one of the best, if not. They let a good one get away
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#417 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:33 pm

Put Lisa and Zora on a call next year with Zora doing color commentary. Easily better than Bardo.
Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#418 » by Mtsportsfan » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:05 am

Please no Zora , absolutely horrible . let her do some high school games , then some college. I don't get how some people think she is even okay. I guess to each his own , but you would think as a professional franchise that they couldn't do better. Really miss Davis !
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,100

Post#419 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:31 am

Mtsportsfan wrote:Please no Zora , absolutely horrible . let her do some high school games , then some college. I don't get how some people think she is even okay. I guess to each his own , but you would think as a professional franchise that they couldn't do better. Really miss Davis !

Think Zora is good. My issue (sexist) is that her voice is so damn soft, sometimes hard to hear what she's saying. Prefer a Kent Brockman voice for PBP.

That said, wouldn't worry about Zora. ESPN will come calling soon enough for a full time national gig. She's crazy talented.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#420 » by BroncoBuck » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:26 am

MickeyDavis wrote:I like Wayne although I'll admit I rarely hear him as I watch all Packer games on TV.

There was a time when Jim Irwin did Packers, Bucks and Badgers football. Many weekends he's do a Badgers game Saturday afternoon, a Bucks game Saturday night and a Packers game Sunday afternoon.

I'd also give Lisa one more year. I think she sees this as a stepping stone to an ESPN gig anyway, no way she wants to be here for the long term.

I grew up in a Bears household, so I’m not sure if it’s common knowledge but Wayne was the voice of the Chicago Bears for so long before he came to GB. I know the broadcasters are just employees, but that just never seemed right to me lol.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks