ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,662

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Ted Davis moves back to Texas pg 20 

Post#461 » by BroncoBuck » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:18 pm

Weird one, but Raja Bell is fantastic on his pod for The Ringer. He’s one of my favorite former players to listen to. He’s old enough to have played with Shaq, while being young enough to have played in this era of basketball.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,176

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Ted Davis moves back to Texas pg 20 

Post#462 » by raysbookclub » Thu Aug 4, 2022 2:06 am

The Locked On Bucks podcast interviewed Bucks assistant Blaine Mueller recently. Really enjoyable interview. Talks about Coach Bud, working with our big 3, the championship run, Tucker, and Marjon.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#463 » by LittleRooster » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:00 pm

All of 1250 was laid off and I believe they are shutting down the channel. Feel bad for everyone who worked there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,738

Post#464 » by DanoMac » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:08 pm

Pretty surreal stuff over at 1250 today. **** Audacy
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#465 » by BUCKnation » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:32 pm

I hardly listen to them since podcasts, but that's awful. The postgame shows during the finals run were awesome.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,651

Post#466 » by Matches Malone » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:37 pm

DanoMac wrote:Pretty surreal stuff over at 1250 today. **** Audacy

Their app is garbage.

Pretty bummed about 1250 going away. I remember I started listening to that station in high school when it was Mike Wickett and Doug Russell.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
lessthannick11
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#467 » by lessthannick11 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:59 am

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs, but there wasn't a show or personality on there better than 94.5 or 97.3

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#468 » by Matches Malone » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:07 am

lessthannick11 wrote:I feel bad for the people losing their jobs, but there wasn't a show or personality on there better than 94.5 or 97.3

Those stations are too "old man radio" for my taste. Bland and boring. There isn't much for sports radio in this state as is.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#469 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:59 am

Good memories listening to the post game show during the bad years. Honestly the only sports station worth listening to in Milwaukee if you’re into sports talk (small pool these days, I know).

Pretty horrible for all the employees. Sounds like Corporate yanked them mid show, which is pathetic.

Cheers to the good memories. Hope they all can bounce back on their feet.
Go Bucks!
lessthannick11
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#470 » by lessthannick11 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:11 am

Matches Malone wrote:
lessthannick11 wrote:I feel bad for the people losing their jobs, but there wasn't a show or personality on there better than 94.5 or 97.3

Those stations are too "old man radio" for my taste. Bland and boring. There isn't much for sports radio in this state as is.
Scalzo and Brust is great and Tauscher is highly entertaining as well.

Drew and KB can have their moments of old man radio, but they are decent too

Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#471 » by Matches Malone » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:16 am

lessthannick11 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Scalzo and Brust is great and Tauscher is highly entertaining as well.

Drew and KB can have their moments of old man radio, but they are decent too

I’ll have to give it another try.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - WSSP shuts down pg 24 

Post#472 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:43 am

Their best show by far was the Sparky, Gary, Leroy, Ramie and Ted Davis lineup. Then they lost Ted, then Ramie. Then the show lost the chemistry with that other guy they brought in. Then they moved them out of the good timeslot of 2-6pm

Then we had the loss of the Bucks postgame show with Sparky. Then Woelfel dumped (perhaps at the request of the Bucks).

For me personally there was nothing left, so I moved onto podcasts the past two years. Hoping Sparky and Gary land somewhere.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
doublejman69
Ballboy
And1: 16

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - WSSP shuts down pg 24 

Post#473 » by doublejman69 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:37 am

Fell bad for all the people that were let go. The radio business is in terrible shape, sounds like Audacy, owners of 1250 will let go a few hundred people when it’s all said and done.

1250 was really the first station to go local sports talk. 1510 at the time was a day timer and had one or two local shows, WTMJ had a sports show at night and weekend afternoons but that was about it. right around when 1250 started up 1510 would make a deal with 1290 to air espn programming at night. 1250 made a big deal about hiring Peter brown who was a national host and Johnny Vonn a chicago comedian, both didn’t last long at all. Chuck Garbedian was there for the start too. Mike Clemens the packers reporter was there even before 1250 became sports, he started when 1250 played oldies music in the 90’s, I heard him the other day on Bill Micheals station in Madison. Tim Allen has been in Milwaukee radio for a long time too.

For a time 1250 would air a number of Bucks and Badgers conflicts for WTMJ when 620 had every sports contract in Wisconsin. Before that some bucks games would air on a lower powered AM religious station or 1290, it seem like it would go back and forth weekly.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#474 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:43 pm

After Ramie left there wasn't a single "personality" who warranted tuning into that station. LeRoy and Gary wouldn't get a radio job in any non-Wisconsin market. Bart and Sparky have always had me confused like "this is the best we can do?" The new guy in Ramie's time slot says "at the end of the day" more than Giannis. At first I thought it was a bit but nobody was laughing. Where can I find decent local sports talk?
nmeurett
Bench Warmer
And1: 212

Post#475 » by nmeurett » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:19 pm

Can anyone give me any good recommendations of who/what to listen to now that WSSP is gone? I live in Wausau so would probably need to know which app to get.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#476 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:02 pm

doublejman69 wrote:1250 was really the first station to go local sports talk. 1510 at the time was a day timer and had one or two local shows,

The real trailblazer was WAUK 1510am when they started up in 1995. They did go local programming from sunup to sundown, save for I think a national show from 10-2. Some names were Scott Aebly, Bill Johnson, Chuck Freimund, Bruce Marcus, Craig Kaliebe, etc.

But yes, WSSP was the first 24 hour place. In 2005 Sparky made the jump from Homer with the idea he might be able to land a full-time gig there. (and Homer was feuding with Belling and would later leave WISN late in 2005).

Sparky was basically Peter Brown's producer, and as you note, the comedian Vonn didn't last long, so Sparky grabbed that spot. And his focus on the Bucks was really huge for all of us. No one covered the team, but Sparky created a niche there for Bucks coverage. And he pulled in Gery, the only local reporter covering the team also (I can't count Enlund, Gardner, Hunt at MJS since they just read Bucks press releases).

So many good memories of the Larry Harris show every week and then Sparky's postgame shows.

Edit: The greatest moment for me was on a Friday afternoon in late June 2006 when they had Larry Harris on. "Larry, are you looking to trade TJ Ford?" Larry.....stutter....."Uh no, not looking to do that at all". We had an amazing huge thread here on that show real-time that afternoon, and later that night TJ was gone. Epic.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#477 » by buckboy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:22 pm

Yeah, 1510 was first, and it was before 1995 I believe. I was thinking 1993. The Fabulous Sports Babe!

Freimund and Marcus were absolutely painful. My god.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#478 » by LittleRooster » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:38 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
doublejman69 wrote:1250 was really the first station to go local sports talk. 1510 at the time was a day timer and had one or two local shows,

The real trailblazer was WAUK 1510am when they started up in 1995. They did go local programming from sunup to sundown, save for I think a national show from 10-2. Some names were Scott Aebly, Bill Johnson, Chuck Freimund, Bruce Marcus, Craig Kaliebe, etc.

But yes, WSSP was the first 24 hour place. In 2005 Sparky made the jump from Homer with the idea he might be able to land a full-time gig there. (and Homer was feuding with Belling and would later leave WISN late in 2005).

Sparky was basically Peter Brown's producer, and as you note, the comedian Vonn didn't last long, so Sparky grabbed that spot. And his focus on the Bucks was really huge for all of us. No one covered the team, but Sparky created a niche there for Bucks coverage. And he pulled in Gery, the only local reporter covering the team also (I can't count Enlund, Gardner, Hunt at MJS since they just read Bucks press releases).

So many good memories of the Larry Harris show every week and then Sparky's postgame shows.

Edit: The greatest moment for me was on a Friday afternoon in late June 2006 when they had Larry Harris on. "Larry, are you looking to trade TJ Ford?" Larry.....stutter....."Uh no, not looking to do that at all". We had an amazing huge thread here on that show real-time that afternoon, and later that night TJ was gone. Epic.

Can’t forget Steve Haywood. It was him and Bill Johnson, along with Homer in the evenings, tbat got me hooked

neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#479 » by neiLz » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:18 pm

Bart is the best WI sports personality in a LONG time. He did a lot of great things on his show. His callers were awesome (even though a majority calling in sounded as if they were drunk at 6am). I have multiple friends that don't even like sports listen into the show. My nephew couldn't name one WI sports player, yet he listens to that show every morning.

Can't believe they used LeRoy for his hall of fame coverage. Probably pulled in a ton of money during that week, then fired everyone a week later. F@cking BS.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#480 » by buckboy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:19 pm

LittleRooster wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

Can’t forget Steve Haywood. It was him and Bill Johnson, along with Homer in the evenings, tbat got me hooked

Great call on Steve (RIP). He's the reason I started posting here. He mentioned the site on his show.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks