Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1201 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:07 pm

Holy ****.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#1202 » by machu46 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Damn. I know that's a big deal for some of y'all. I don't think I personally play any Bethesda games so doesn't impact me at all (outside of being an investor in Microsoft) but that's pretty big.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,813

Post#1203 » by RubberSoul » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 pm

So no more Fallouts for PS5? That sucks one of my favorite series and I have a PS5 on preorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
machu46
General Manager

Post#1204 » by machu46 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:15 pm

RubberSoul wrote:So no more Fallouts for PS5? That sucks one of my favorite series and I have a PS5 on preorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think their plans for Bethesda have been made public yet, so it's really just a guessing game right now re: whether or not they go exclusive.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#1205 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm

All still TBD of course, but I'm pretty sure that Bethesda has been developing a game that is a timed exclusive for PS5. I wouldn't totally write that off yet.

Makes no difference to me as I have a gaming PC and also plan to get the mini-X (S or whatever it is) eventually, but totally agree that I'd hate to see them go MS exclusive. Granted, it's exactly the type of move MS needs to make if they want to compete with the exclusives Sony continues to pump out. I wasn't sure they actually wanted to challenge that, but it appears maybe that they do.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#1206 » by Siefer » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm not a huge Bethesda fan, but I'm generally down on the accelerating consolidation of media companies. It's often bad for consumers, bad for workers, and bad for the art itself.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,021

Post#1207 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Elder Scrolls 6 is the big question IMO.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,824

Post#1208 » by tydett » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Elder Scrolls 6 is the big question IMO.

On the computer, to me, has always been the correct way to play Elder Scrolls games, so this won't change much for me, but that's a huge get for Microsoft exclusivity.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,679

Post#1209 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Sony seems to be really dropping the ball right now. Everyone whose opinion I trust saying that the specs and processing power for the next-gen Xboxes are essentially identical if not superior to PlayStation. That used to be the one advantage that most hardcore gamers would claim Sony had from PS2 to PS4. Add in the inflated price points for AAA titles (I'm sure Microsoft will confirm this as well but the optics of being the first to say this are still bad in the current economic climate), and the fact that Sony has historically lagged behind Mirosoft in number of exclusive properties, and I'm really re-thinking my console choice for whenever I pull the trigger on a new system.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,021

Post#1210 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Sony seems to be really dropping the ball right now. Everyone whose opinion I trust saying that the specs and processing power for the next-gen Xboxes are essentially identical if not superior to PlayStation. That used to be the one advantage that most hardcore gamers would claim Sony had from PS2 to PS4. Add in the inflated price points for AAA titles (I'm sure Microsoft will confirm this as well but the optics of being the first to say this are still bad in the current economic climate), and the fact that Sony has historically lagged behind Mirosoft in number of exclusive properties, and I'm really re-thinking my console choice for whenever I pull the trigger on a new system.

The new Xbox is more powerful. That said, this Bethesda acquisition seems like Microsoft's first win. It's a big one, but in terms of launch titles the PS5's is a lot more impressive.
machu46
General Manager

Post#1211 » by machu46 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Sony seems to be really dropping the ball right now. Everyone whose opinion I trust saying that the specs and processing power for the next-gen Xboxes are essentially identical if not superior to PlayStation. That used to be the one advantage that most hardcore gamers would claim Sony had from PS2 to PS4. Add in the inflated price points for AAA titles (I'm sure Microsoft will confirm this as well but the optics of being the first to say this are still bad in the current economic climate), and the fact that Sony has historically lagged behind Mirosoft in number of exclusive properties, and I'm really re-thinking my console choice for whenever I pull the trigger on a new system.

The two systems will probably operate roughly the same as one another. Really boils down to which system has the preferred exclusives IMO. For me, that's easily Sony (not to mention I can play most of the Xbox games on PC anyways) but for others it might be Xbox.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,824

Post#1212 » by tydett » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:the fact that Sony has historically lagged behind Mirosoft in number of exclusive properties,

The rest I get, but just a small correction on this point: the biggest knock on Xbox for the past 2 generations has been that it hasn't had quality exclusives, like, at all. Besides the giants in Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable (which hasn't had a new game on the Xbox One at all), Microsoft hasn't really generated any exclusive IP aside from maybe Sea of Thieves and... Ori (except Ori is on CPU as well)? Bethesda's acquisition is probably the first real step towards actually selling the Xbox, and even then, the fact that Game Pass will let me play all Xbox new (don't even remember what it's called) content on my PC means I haven't even considered buying the new one.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1213 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:38 pm

tydett wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:the fact that Sony has historically lagged behind Mirosoft in number of exclusive properties,

The rest I get, but just a small correction on this point: the biggest knock on Xbox for the past 2 generations has been that it hasn't had quality exclusives, like, at all. Besides the giants in Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable (which hasn't had a new game on the Xbox One at all), Microsoft hasn't really generated any exclusive IP aside from maybe Sea of Thieves and... Ori (except Ori is on CPU as well)? Bethesda's acquisition is probably the first real step towards actually selling the Xbox, and even then, the fact that Game Pass will let me play all Xbox new (don't even remember what it's called) content on my PC means I haven't even considered buying the new one.

Just a quick note - they all are. They're all on PC. It's a major leg up that Sony has, that has forced so many to get one of their consoles to play their exclusives, because they literally can't be played elsewhere. Starting to change a little - they released HZD for PC, four years after initial release. Not sure how that will go.

But my biggest surprise from this is what it signals that MS might actually want to work to challenge Sony on this. I kinda figured they were ok with the exclusives being Sony's niche, and they were going to go after value (series S), Game Pass, and home theater/PC inter connectivity.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,679

Post#1214 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:00 pm

I suppose it's just a matter of preference. MLB Show is probably the best sports sim out there, but Killzone was always just a poor-man's Halo rip-off, I wasn't impressed by the latest God of War game, Metal Gear Solid series has since lost its way and become cross-platform, Kojima's latest game was an absolute dud, and I think Naughty Dog games outside of Last of Us are some of the most overrated games in the history of gaming. The Fallout games have been pretty trash as of late, but Elder Scrolls 6 is probably my most anticipated game since the last GTA. If that's gonna be an Xbox and PC exclusive, then Sony is taking a massive L there. I think Xbox has also been light years ahead with their Live, Gold, and GamePass subscriptions.
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#1215 » by Nightfall » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:19 pm

My 2 cts, from a (somewhat) objective perspective ...

2 years ago I started playing games again, after about 20 years :D Being a software engineer, I preferred hobbies not involving using a PC or monitor for my free time.

But the kids wanted a console, they really didn't care which one but they had played Rayman and Forza horizon at a friend and loved it. So as I had no preference for either PS or Xbox , I went for Xbox because I also liked the idea of the Game Pass, so that I could try several games.

Fast forward 2 years now, while I don't call myself a gamer , a spend more free time than I care to admit on games, and loved many of them that I completed (Fallout 4 , Witcher 3 , f.ex). And the Game Pass is getting better and better.

Also MS really made amazing offers for Game Pass Ultimate. When they switched to Ultimate, I had 10 months games pass and 10 months gold and it was converted to 20 months ultimate, and if you buy it in 6 -12 months offers during holidays f.ex, you will end up paying just a half per month of the 14.99 price tag. Plus if you have a gaming pc, android , tablet, android TV box you can also play 100 games without Xbox.

So I believe that unless someone had PS all their life and really care about some of the exclusives, there is little reason to prefer PS5 over Xbox Series X right now.

i wonder how Sony will react to the latest news, so far they have been very dismissive about a "game Pass" type of change : https://gamingbolt.com/playstation-ceo-says-game-pass-model-would-not-make-financial-sense-for-type-of-titles-sony-makes
machu46
General Manager

Post#1216 » by machu46 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I suppose it's just a matter of preference. MLB Show is probably the best sports sim out there, but Killzone was always just a poor-man's Halo rip-off, I wasn't impressed by the latest God of War game, Metal Gear Solid series has since lost its way and become cross-platform, Kojima's latest game was an absolute dud, and I think Naughty Dog games outside of Last of Us are some of the most overrated games in the history of gaming. The Fallout games have been pretty trash as of late, but Elder Scrolls 6 is probably my most anticipated game since the last GTA. If that's gonna be an Xbox and PC exclusive, then Sony is taking a massive L there. I think Xbox has also been light years ahead with their Live, Gold, and GamePass subscriptions.

MLB The Show is expanding to other platforms as well in the next couple years so that one won't be a Playstation exclusive anymore. The Naughty Dog (outside of Last Of Us which I don't really like) and Insomniac games alone are enough to sell me on the Playstation though.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#1217 » by jschligs » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:33 pm

I'm just mad because I feel every time a developer is acquired by a bigger company the games that I once loved take a hit in quality. '

As for PS5 vs Xbox Series X, I'll go with PS5 as most of my friends play on that and I have a gaming PC that can play most of the Xbox exclusives.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1218 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:02 pm

To be frank, Sony hasn't had any reason to change or adapt to Game Pass whatsoever, because they absolutely crushed MS in the last generation (PS4 more than doubled Xbox sales). MS for sure take's a financial hit on Game Pass, and did so to win back market share, but there's no need to do that with how far ahead Sony has been. If the balance changes this gen - which is very well may, who know - then I'm guessing Sony would adapt at that time.

That's not a Sony or MS preference thing. It's a numbers and financials thing.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1219 » by crkone » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:11 pm

jschligs wrote:I'm just mad because I feel every time a developer is acquired by a bigger company the games that I once loved take a hit in quality.

As for PS5 vs Xbox Series X, I'll go with PS5 as most of my friends play on that and I have a gaming PC that can play most of the Xbox exclusives.

Even though I enjoyed 4, judging from the user scores for Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, I don't think Bethesda has much further to fall to hit rock bottom in gamers' eyes.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Post#1220 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:07 am

I'm a graphics whore. Any chance one console will look better than the other? (PS5 vs XBOX)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks