ImageImage

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

UWNick
Sophomore
And1: 52

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#641 » by UWNick » Tue May 19, 2020 12:15 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Want to buy a Nintendo Switch for my 5 yr old (and so I can play some Mario Cart lol). Anyone know any avenues to find one at a reasonable price?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

I managed to get one from best buy a couple of weeks ago using zoolert (a website that checks what's in stock). I did this because I didn't want to pay secondary market prices.

Took me a few tries. Got one in my cart but couldn't check out at first. I found best buy will remove it from your cart if you refresh through the web page so here's what I did.

Used zoolert to get a notification when best buy had inventory.

Get one in my cart.

Try to check out, if I got the out of stock message I would hit F5 to refresh the page quickly and immediately try to check out again.

I'd repeat until I got bored, then wait for zoolert would say there was inventory again.

After the first try I left my switch in the cart so I would immediately just try checking out again.

Took me a few days to figure out this strategy. Took me about three tries to actually get one to check out.

I was actually so surprised I had to run and get a credit card haha!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#642 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue May 19, 2020 6:41 pm

UWNick wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Want to buy a Nintendo Switch for my 5 yr old (and so I can play some Mario Cart lol). Anyone know any avenues to find one at a reasonable price?

I managed to get one from best buy a couple of weeks ago using zoolert (a website that checks what's in stock). I did this because I didn't want to pay secondary market prices.

Took me a few tries. Got one in my cart but couldn't check out at first. I found best buy will remove it from your cart if you refresh through the web page so here's what I did.

Used zoolert to get a notification when best buy had inventory.

Get one in my cart.

Try to check out, if I got the out of stock message I would hit F5 to refresh the page quickly and immediately try to check out again.

I'd repeat until I got bored, then wait for zoolert would say there was inventory again.

After the first try I left my switch in the cart so I would immediately just try checking out again.

Took me a few days to figure out this strategy. Took me about three tries to actually get one to check out.

I was actually so surprised I had to run and get a credit card haha!
Thanks dude! Been doing the cart thing this morning, had a couple times it got me to the shipping page but then said sold out before the payment page.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
UWNick
Sophomore

Post#643 » by UWNick » Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Thanks dude! Been doing the cart thing this morning, had a couple times it got me to the shipping page but then said sold out before the payment page.

No problem!

It was a couple of a weeks ago now, but I do have a best buy account, so I can't quite remember if it was auto-filling some of my information for me.

At the time I had heard that people had some success with talking to customer support after failing to check out while the switch was still in their cart. I didn't have to go this route, but from what I understand, it might take a few tries but if you can get the right support person. They'll put you on a list, hold a switch for you and contact you to complete the sale.

Good Luck!
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,941

Post#644 » by humanrefutation » Tue May 19, 2020 7:25 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Now that I bought a PS4 I'm finally getting around to playing The Last of Us, and wow......is there a more depressing video game like, ever?

(it's very good but probably not the best game to play during an actual pandemic)

I literally had to go for walks to clear my head after certain events in the game. It's really tough at points.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#645 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 pm

UWNick wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Thanks dude! Been doing the cart thing this morning, had a couple times it got me to the shipping page but then said sold out before the payment page.

No problem!

It was a couple of a weeks ago now, but I do have a best buy account, so I can't quite remember if it was auto-filling some of my information for me.

At the time I had heard that people had some success with talking to customer support after failing to check out while the switch was still in their cart. I didn't have to go this route, but from what I understand, it might take a few tries but if you can get the right support person. They'll put you on a list, hold a switch for you and contact you to complete the sale.

Good Luck!
Got one on the best buy site. Kept doing the F5 refresh while on work calls and it eventually went through. Appreciate the heads up or I would have just given up when it showed unavailable.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
UWNick
Sophomore

Post#646 » by UWNick » Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
UWNick wrote:

No problem!

Good Luck!
Got one on the best buy site. Kept doing the F5 refresh while on work calls and it eventually went through. Appreciate the heads up or I would have just given up when it showed unavailable.

Nice! Glad it worked for you. Gave this tip to my sister too, right before she was about to buy one for like double the price from some secondary seller.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,975

Post#647 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 20, 2020 2:02 am

Read on Twitter

This level is stunning.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,660

Post#648 » by MikeIsGood » Wed May 20, 2020 3:42 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

This level is stunning.

I'm more concerned that you could go the rest of your life without rice...?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#649 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

This level is stunning.

I'm more concerned that you could go the rest of your life without rice...?

I love a good risotto but after that...?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#650 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 21, 2020 1:15 am

Game looks cool, but it was when the song dropped that I LOL'd.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#651 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 21, 2020 1:19 pm

I mean, could they really not get the rights to Kenny Loggins' Danger Zone? Missed opportunities.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#652 » by Sauce Boss » Thu May 21, 2020 4:03 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Game looks cool, but it was when the song dropped that I LOL'd.

I was watching and was like "What's so funny about this off-brand Gladiator soundtra--- OH, oh....oh no...."
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#653 » by Sauce Boss » Thu May 21, 2020 4:09 pm

What was the general vibe around here for Red Dead Redemption 2? Never played the first since it never released on PC, and even as it is RDR 2 came out a year after most people already had their fill of it on console. I've been enjoying how slow it is, kind of weirdly soothing to just kind of trot down the road with your horse, shoot a deer, skin it, bring it back to camp. It seems to have systems in systems in systems, so just wondering if anyone has some general tips they found useful.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#654 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:What was the general vibe around here for Red Dead Redemption 2? Never played the first since it never released on PC, and even as it is RDR 2 came out a year after most people already had their fill of it on console. I've been enjoying how slow it is, kind of weirdly soothing to just kind of trot down the road with your horse, shoot a deer, skin it, bring it back to camp. It seems to have systems in systems in systems, so just wondering if anyone has some general tips they found useful.

I don't have any tips, except that the infinite cold bar glitch was worth doing for me:

https://www.vg247.com/2018/12/20/red-dead-redemption-2-gold-bars-glitch/

No idea if it's been patched out, though.

As for my overall impression, I finished it but didn't enjoy the process much. RDR is one of my all timers and I was giddy with anticipation at the sequel, but I just didn't find it enjoyable. There were just too many systems in the name of realism. I didn't need all of it.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#655 » by jschligs » Thu May 21, 2020 4:44 pm

RDR2 fell so flat for me. I don't mind slow moving games at all, even tedious ones. But this felt like a slow and long movie with built in chores that got old fast.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,660

Post#656 » by MikeIsGood » Thu May 21, 2020 4:45 pm

Between RDR2 and that weird ass game starring the guy from The Walking Dead, I hope devs have learned their lesson about overly-realistic video games. Like, we don't need our characters to need to go to the bathroom...and manage the process.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#657 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:What was the general vibe around here for Red Dead Redemption 2? Never played the first since it never released on PC, and even as it is RDR 2 came out a year after most people already had their fill of it on console. I've been enjoying how slow it is, kind of weirdly soothing to just kind of trot down the road with your horse, shoot a deer, skin it, bring it back to camp. It seems to have systems in systems in systems, so just wondering if anyone has some general tips they found useful.

I don't have any tips, except that the infinite cold bar glitch was worth doing for me:

https://www.vg247.com/2018/12/20/red-dead-redemption-2-gold-bars-glitch/

No idea if it's been patched out, though.

As for my overall impression, I finished it but didn't enjoy the process much. RDR is one of my all timers and I was giddy with anticipation at the sequel, but I just didn't find it enjoyable. There were just too many systems in the name of realism. I didn't need all of it.

This is basically the Rockstar M.O. and pretty reminiscent of what happened with GTA IV. A great game and clear step forward visually/story-wise but with a bunch of needlessly tedious mechanics that don't serve much of a purpose other than wasting time (i.e. the infamous toll bridges). Thankfully they noticed this and streamlined everything in GTA V, so here's hoping they do the same for the next RDR (if there is one).
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#658 » by MissKhriddleton » Thu May 21, 2020 4:50 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Between RDR2 and that weird ass game starring the guy from The Walking Dead, I hope devs have learned their lesson about overly-realistic video games. Like, we don't need our characters to need to go to the bathroom...and manage the process.

I always that it would be cool if NBA 2k combined with the sims so you would have to make your player drive to the arena for a game, then play it - it'd be just like 2K now - and then come home and do the dishes and stuff. :dontknow:
Superfito
Senior
And1: 82

Post#659 » by Superfito » Thu May 21, 2020 5:42 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Between RDR2 and that weird ass game starring the guy from The Walking Dead, I hope devs have learned their lesson about overly-realistic video games. Like, we don't need our characters to need to go to the bathroom...and manage the process.

What lesson? How incredibly successful games like RDR2 are? The lesson is that there's huge demand for this and that risks pay off, obviously. These are the games that grow the pie. It would be horrible for games to funnel towards a homogeneous experience, which has sort of been happening this generation. It limits the potential of gaming in so many ways. You didn't like it? Great, there are plenty of other options, but the lesson is more for you than Rockstar, lol.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#660 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Superfito wrote:

What lesson? How incredibly successful games like RDR2 are? The lesson is that there's huge demand for this and that risks pay off, obviously. These are the games that grow the pie. It would be horrible for games to funnel towards a homogeneous experience, which has sort of been happening this generation. It limits the potential of gaming in so many ways. You didn't like it? Great, there are plenty of other options, but the lesson is more for you than Rockstar, lol.

There was a huge demand for more RDR. No one demanded actual chores.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks