ImageImage

Bucks News, Trades and Transactions - KOC says Bucks interest in Markieff Morris, pg75

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,256

Re: Bucks News, Trades and Transactions 

Post#961 » by FlagsFlyForever » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:40 am

crkone wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Sucks to think about but you always have to factor in a injury to a rotation guy & if you can withstand it. Giannis is obvious but I’m not sure how we’d look with Brook or Ersan going down for an extended period.

DJ had those 5-10 games last year where he looked really good on interior defense during 15-20mpg stretches. Would readily acknowledge that.

However, seems like since then he's done nothing to show he's an NBA player. Granted been hard for him to get real game minutes, but in NBA year three, he's shooting 40% from the field and 24% from 3. Looks lost out there. However see Ben Thompson on twitter always talking up how DJ needs Ersan's minutes, and this is some huge error on Bud's part.

I just don't see it. Am I missing something?

I mean you'd expect DJ to beat out Bender for those minutes while Robin has been out, right? I don't think you are missing anything.

Just because Bud plays Bender over DJ doesn't mean much. Last season, Bud had Christian Wood buried deep on the bench behind Thon Maker and Wood played well last season when he got playing time in New Orleans and he's having a nice season this year in Detroit as well.
Read on Twitter
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#962 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:58 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
crkone wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
DJ had those 5-10 games last year where he looked really good on interior defense during 15-20mpg stretches. Would readily acknowledge that.

However, seems like since then he's done nothing to show he's an NBA player. Granted been hard for him to get real game minutes, but in NBA year three, he's shooting 40% from the field and 24% from 3. Looks lost out there. However see Ben Thompson on twitter always talking up how DJ needs Ersan's minutes, and this is some huge error on Bud's part.

I mean you'd expect DJ to beat out Bender for those minutes while Robin has been out, right? I don't think you are missing anything.

Just because Bud plays Bender over DJ doesn't mean much. Last season, Bud had Christian Wood buried deep on the bench behind Thon Maker and Wood played well last season when he got playing time in New Orleans and he's having a nice season this year in Detroit as well.

Yeah but Bud isn’t coaching in New Orleans or Detroit. Are you saying Wilson can play for a different coach? If so that’s cool, we should figure out who that coach is & trade him there.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#963 » by FlagsFlyForever » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:42 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
crkone wrote:

Yeah but Bud isn’t coaching in New Orleans or Detroit. Are you saying Wilson can play for a different coach? If so that’s cool, we should figure out who that coach is & trade him there.

I wasn't saying anything about Wilson. I'm not a fan of his at all. I'm just saying the fact that DJ can't beat out Bender for minutes isn't an indictment of Wilson. Bud's player evaluation track record is not great dating back to his days in Atlanta.

Read on Twitter
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#964 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:12 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:Just because Bud plays Bender over DJ doesn't mean much. Last season, Bud had Christian Wood buried deep on the bench behind Thon Maker and Wood played well last season when he got playing time in New Orleans and he's having a nice season this year in Detroit as well.

I wasn't saying anything about Wilson. I'm not a fan of his at all. I'm just saying the fact that DJ can't beat out Bender for minutes isn't an indictment of Wilson. Bud's player evaluation track record is not great dating back to his days in Atlanta.

Ah, gotcha. Who in Atlanta do you feel Bud evaluated poorly?
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#965 » by blazza18 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:49 am

Nate Duncan has taken his trade Ersan shtick to new extremes this week. Mentioned moving him for Marvin freaking Williams.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#966 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:24 am

blazza18 wrote:Nate Duncan has taken his trade Ersan shtick to new extremes this week. Mentioned moving him for Marvin freaking Williams.

It’s truly bizarre at this point. Hollinger even tried to push back with “I dunno, you might feel like Ilyasova’s vulnerable (defensively) but he just keeps doin (good) stuff.” To which Duncan replied “Yeah...it’s just at the very highest levels I wonder about him.” Um, what? Ersan was one of the only dudes to show up in game 6 of the ECF last year. Duncan’s stuck in the mud of his bad Ersan takes & refuses to free himself.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#967 » by FlagsFlyForever » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:53 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

I would say the entire team considering he coached the Hawks to 60 wins without roster control. When he was given control of the roster, he lost increasingly more games every season culminating in the 24-58 season when he got fired. He had a penchant for bringing in the corpses of players who were several years over the hill such as Kirk Hinrich, Kris Humphries, Mike Dunleavy, Gary Neal, etc (all of whom ended their careers under Bud while the rest of the league didn't want them). His most significant move was paying $24 million per season to a player who hadn't been better than mediocre in five years, Dwight Howard. At no point did he show an ability to identify and evaluate talent.

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#968 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 am

midranger wrote:Yup. Like we’re seeing with Bender, sometimes a guys talents are just completely misutilized by a crap organization/coach. Valentine has a ton of skills. Whether he suffers from Adam Morrison Unathleticism Syndrome remains to be seen. Jared Dudley was a plus player next to Giannis, so who knows?

Bulls need a big with Lauri down.

Wilson is out of our rotation. Valentine is out of theirs.

I think a swap makes sense.

Looks like Valentine is back in their rotation - playing an excellent 19 minutes last night in Chicago's 1 point win. It'll take more than Wilson to get him, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,560

Post#969 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:I wasn't saying anything about Wilson. I'm not a fan of his at all. I'm just saying the fact that DJ can't beat out Bender for minutes isn't an indictment of Wilson. Bud's player evaluation track record is not great dating back to his days in Atlanta.

I would say the entire team considering he coached the Hawks to 60 wins without roster control. When he was given control of the roster, he lost increasingly more games every season culminating in the 24-58 season when he got fired. He had a penchant for bringing in the corpses of players who were several years over the hill such as Kirk Hinrich, Kris Humphries, Mike Dunleavy, Gary Neal, etc (all of whom ended their careers under Bud while the rest of the league didn't want them). His most significant move was paying $24 million per season to a player who hadn't been better than mediocre in five years, Dwight Howard. At no point did he show an ability to identify and evaluate talent.

He drafted John Collins. Outstanding move, Collins continues to evolve.
Giannisland34
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#970 » by Giannisland34 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:04 pm

The Bucks roster has improved greatly since Bud has been here too. I don’t think that’s just a coincidence.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,560

Post#971 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:16 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
crkone wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

Wood is falling out of favor in Detroit. Thon is now starting a head of him.

Buds, and every other team, were right about Wood. He's just not a winning player.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,458

Post#972 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Nate Duncan has taken his trade Ersan shtick to new extremes this week. Mentioned moving him for Marvin freaking Williams.

It’s truly bizarre at this point. Hollinger even tried to push back with “I dunno, you might feel like Ilyasova’s vulnerable (defensively) but he just keeps doin (good) stuff.” To which Duncan replied “Yeah...it’s just at the very highest levels I wonder about him.” Um, what? Ersan was one of the only dudes to show up in game 6 of the ECF last year. Duncan’s stuck in the mud of his bad Ersan takes & refuses to free himself.

I'm listening to the podcast now. Duncan makes me want to fall asleep lol. They had some weird takes. The Ersan one was very odd. Giving up the Indy pick for Marcus Morris was another odd one. Duncan also seems like he's down on Donte for some reason. He kept mentioning him as basically a throw in to trades or wondering if the Indy pick has more value than Donte.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#973 » by RiotPunch » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Nate Duncan doesn't watch the Bucks and he is a dial tone personality. Wish Hollinger would have teamed up with someone else.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#974 » by Bucksfan28 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Duncan is awful and on top of that, a really boring listen. Amazes me that he has the following he does.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#975 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:21 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Nate Duncan doesn't watch the Bucks and he is a dial tone personality. Wish Hollinger would have teamed up with someone else.

Yeah I was wondering how often they actually watch the Bucks relative to other teams. They’re always saying stuff like “I’ve long been intrigued by the idea of Allen Crabbe on the Hornets.” *Danny Leroux voice*
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#976 » by skones » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:42 pm

I actually really like Duncan, he sees the game really well. I don't think he's entirely off base with Ersan. He was great in December, but outside of that, he's been pretty meh at best. When it comes to playoff time, he can be played off the floor pretty easily by teams like Boston, Miami, and Toronto. He lacks the defensive versatility.

I've said all season, if we make a move, Ersan is the guy who's on the way out. His salary just makes the most sense.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#977 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 pm

Nate Duncan just takes the whole analytics contrarianism angle to its extreme conclusion. He's good for a listen but he's someone who needs to be constantly reminded that NBA players aren't robots with static video-game attributes, and doesn't believe that data/metrics have a ceiling in their ability to accurately quantify what happens on a basketball court. No surprise that he can't see the intangible value of a guy like Ersan to a championship contender.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#978 » by Lippo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:27 pm

DrWood wrote:
Bobicous wrote:How about Brown and DJ for Ntilikina gives the Nicks 2 young guys to look at and gives us another long defensive guard and frees up a roster spot for a buy out

trading our 11th and 14th guy for someone who will be our 15th guy doesn't seem like a good idea.

Yeah, thinking next year when we will probably lose Pat, Sterling, Wes, Kyle, Think Robin stays,maybe Kyle as well, leaving us light in the backcourt
...and Frank may have a role and a ball hound, pressure defender. this year..
...and Frank is 21, Brown and Wilson are mid 23-24 already and have much lower ceilings IMO

Next year:
PG: Bled, Hill, Ntilikina
SG: DDV, 1st, Ntilikina
SF: Mids, 1st, Thanasis
PF: Giannis, Ersan, 2nd
C: Bro, RLo, Bender
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#979 » by jschligs » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:46 pm

Lippo wrote:
DrWood wrote:
Bobicous wrote:How about Brown and DJ for Ntilikina gives the Nicks 2 young guys to look at and gives us another long defensive guard and frees up a roster spot for a buy out

trading our 11th and 14th guy for someone who will be our 15th guy doesn't seem like a good idea.

Yeah, thinking next year when we will probably lose Pat, Sterling, Wes, Kyle, Think Robin stays,maybe Kyle as well, leaving us light in the backcourt
...and Frank may have a role and a ball hound, pressure defender. this year..
...and Frank is 21, Brown and Wilson are mid 23-24 already and have much lower ceilings IMO

Next year:
PG: Bled, Hill, Ntilikina
SG: DDV, 1st, Ntilikina
SF: Mids, 1st, Thanasis
PF: Giannis, Ersan, 2nd
C: Bro, RLo, Bender

I'm focused on winning the championship this year and if that means not touching our roster until after the season I'm ok with that. Touching this roster for next year's plan would be insanely stupid.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#980 » by FlagsFlyForever » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:27 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
crkone wrote:

Wood is falling out of favor in Detroit. Thon is now starting a head of him.

Buds, and every other team, were right about Wood. He's just not a winning player.

Wood hasn't fallen out of favor at all. He's seeing more minutes now than he has all season. He's averaging 21/11 per 36 and his advanced stats and efficiency rates are solid (.632 eFG%). He has the best +/- on Detroit by a mile. The 17-32 Pistons are -180 without Christian Wood on the floor and +71 with Wood on the floor. +71 gives Wood the best +/- for a player on any of the NBA's 11 sub-.400 teams. Despite being a bench player all season, Wood plays more minutes than Thon and he's thoroughly outplaying him. By now, I think he has done enough to have proven everybody right on this board who was arguing last season that Christian Wood is better than Thon Maker.

Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks