ImageImage

ATL - All Star Saturday Night (TNT @ 7:00pm CT)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

PG Graveyard
General Manager
And1: 4,517

Re: ATL - Kobe Dead at 41 

Post#401 » by PG Graveyard » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:42 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Plossum wrote:I’m not on board Towns being a great player. Jimmy was right about those guys. Extremely talented but also lack fire and are a bit lazy. Towns just doesn’t do much when he doesn’t have the ball on offence and is still utterly lost defensively. That Minny team should be so much better.

Minnesota reminds me somewhat of those Vin Baker, Big Dog, Ray Allen Bucks teams. You spend five years thinking you've got something, but in the end, the core guys just aren't as good as you think they are. Meanwhile your organization can't get the right coach or supporting cast around them.

There is also some Demarcus Cousins to KAT's game. The guy pouts on the floor and puts up some false numbers for me. The team around him certainly is a mess, but they are currently on a 14 game losing streak in games he has played. That's a bad look for a supposed top 10ish player or whatever people perceive him to be.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,162

Post#402 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:47 pm

PG Graveyard wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Plossum wrote:I’m not on board Towns being a great player. Jimmy was right about those guys. Extremely talented but also lack fire and are a bit lazy. Towns just doesn’t do much when he doesn’t have the ball on offence and is still utterly lost defensively. That Minny team should be so much better.

Minnesota reminds me somewhat of those Vin Baker, Big Dog, Ray Allen Bucks teams. You spend five years thinking you've got something, but in the end, the core guys just aren't as good as you think they are. Meanwhile your organization can't get the right coach or supporting cast around them.

There is also some Demarcus Cousins to KAT's game. The guy pouts on the floor and puts up some false numbers for me. The team around him certainly is a mess, but they are currently on a 14 game losing streak in games he has played. That's a bad look for a supposed top 10ish player or whatever people perceive him to be.

Certainly a concern or possible. But no way I'd right him off before seeing him in a new environment. A lot of what's being said here on KAT could and had been said about AD (other than D issues) as well. I'd bet that if you put KAT into Boston or another good well coached winning situation that he'd kill it.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#403 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Celtics/Heat is an interesting game tonight. Too bad it's on the same time as the Bucks.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#404 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Not really sure about a logo change but I don't see why it couldn't be Kobe if they decide to. Jordan/Lebron will go down as better players, but considering West is in the 15-20ish range of all-time greats, that's not really the compelling criteria here.

Like Roberto Clemente in baseball, this is a unique tragedy that extends beyond the sport. I think we've all seen in the last 48 hours how far-reaching Kobe's influence was around the world. I doubt Lebron ever reaches the level of international icon that Kobe attained. It was a combination of his charisma and unique circumstances of his upbringing and the state of international basketball in the late-90s and early 2000s.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#405 » by buckboy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:48 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was very careful expressing emotions immediately following Sunday’s tragedy. Now as the shock is beginning to wear off and I can process things more clearly, stuff like this and just the overall hero worship is starting to make me a little bit uncomfortable.

There were people advocating retiring #24 league-wide. I mean, come on. It's dumb enough Dallas is doing it, don't drag everyone into it.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

Post#406 » by chonestown » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:53 pm

I'll come right out and say it: change the logo to David Stern. No reason it shouldn't be him. Be a nice gesture imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,162

Post#407 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:55 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Not really sure about a logo change but I don't see why it couldn't be Kobe if they decide to. Jordan/Lebron will go down as better players, but considering West is in the 15-20ish range of all-time greats, that's not really the compelling criteria here.

Like Roberto Clemente in baseball, this is a unique tragedy that extends beyond the sport. I think we've all seen in the last 48 hours how far-reaching Kobe's influence was around the world. I doubt Lebron ever reaches the level of international icon that Kobe attained. It was a combination of his charisma and unique circumstances of his upbringing and the state of international basketball in the late-90s and early 2000s.

But it went into place in the early 70s when West was one of the top few ever. Also, it was never meant to be in honor of Jerry West or about him. It was never a formal thing. If something as drastic as this happens it becomes all about Kobe. The old logo is just the logo at this point and the vast majority of people have no idea it has anything to do with West. Over time that's what you want your logo to be, its own thing, not an ode to an individual.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#408 » by raferfenix » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I struggle with how much blame to assign a guy who's putting up 27/11/4 on 50/40/80 shooting splits as a 24-year old. Sure, KAT still needs to learn how to play defense, but that roster is an absolute mess around him. No shooting, no defense, no play-makers. RoCo is the only other quality starter. They just need to nuke the whole thing around him this offseason.

Wiggins is the main piece they might need to bail on.

If it was going to work out with him and KAT you'd think they'd be further along by this point.

Otherwise what else is there really that they are so committed to?

RoCo has trade value but you could also argue they should keep him considering how few defensive minded role players they have in tow to flank KAT as is.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#409 » by buckboy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:26 pm

I am continually astonished at how terrible Wiggins is. I've never been more wrong about a player. Just a huge waste of ridiculous talent.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#410 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:30 pm

buckboy wrote:I am continually astonished at how terrible Wiggins is. I've never been more wrong about a player. Just a huge waste of ridiculous talent.

Same. The raw physical talent is amongst the greatest you’ll ever see. If Wiggins had half of Giannis or Lebron’s work ethic/desire he’d be an all time great.
Do it for Chuck
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#411 » by jschligs » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:32 pm

I say keep the logo as is. What if MJ or LBJ or someone else that's incredibly important dies? Are we going to change it again? It's history to me and should stay that way. I think there are many other ways we can honor him.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#412 » by JayMKE » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 pm

Kneejerk tributes are kind of cringe, it has to come from the heart. Really REALLY do not like that they're postponing a game, there's precedent but also I don't think that's an appropriate tribute to a guy who dedicated his life to the game. I am of the opinion that the show must always go on no matter the tragedy.
FREE GIANNIS
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#413 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:18 pm

The initial report (stupid internet) that all Sunday games were postponed would have been dumb (which is why it wasn't done). But postponing one game? Not worth getting worked up over, it's not a big deal (shrug).
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#414 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:22 pm

buckboy wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was very careful expressing emotions immediately following Sunday’s tragedy. Now as the shock is beginning to wear off and I can process things more clearly, stuff like this and just the overall hero worship is starting to make me a little bit uncomfortable.

There were people advocating retiring #24 league-wide. I mean, come on. It's dumb enough Dallas is doing it, don't drag everyone into it.
I saw a blue check mark who was saying 8/24 should be a NATIONAL HOLIDAY. It was obviously a terrible tragedy for all families involved but I have to agree some of this is becoming a little overboard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,186

Post#415 » by skones » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:24 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Was that faked? How the heck did his contract allow him to do that stunt?

Obviously fake. There's a springboard or something that was edited out. Dude's leg does NOT explode enough for him to get up like that. He was launched.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#416 » by buckboy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Definitely fake. Definitely funny. To me anyway.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#417 » by Diggr14 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:12 pm

I wonder if Giannis will name his new baby boy Kobe. It's due soon, right?
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Diggr14
Analyst

Post#418 » by Diggr14 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:13 pm

NBA logo needs to be Gilbert Arenas. Something to aspire to.. how to collect 100M from home :P I jest.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Diggr14
Analyst

Post#419 » by Diggr14 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:14 pm

and no, Kobe should not be the NBA logo. It's Jerry West. If they switch it to anyone, it would be Jordan.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#420 » by H2tObes » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:23 pm

I still really like KAT, offensively he is incredible which is valuable in itself. Cousins is/was a worse player and personality than Towns, Cousins has a very me first attitude while also being emotionally immature. No way I'd want prime Cousins on my team over KAT.

KAT will win when the right pieces are with him I think, I can't blame him for Minnesota being bad when I think that team is pretty trash outside of him. He just isn't a leader, maybe he will grow into one as he is still pretty young. That or he will need to team up with one who isn't named Jimmy Butler.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks