ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

User avatar
trwi7
RealGM
Posts: 106,801
And1: 20,827
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: Aussie bias
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1921 » by trwi7 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:06 pm

tski1972 wrote:Quiznos was easily the one sub shop I’d go to when given the choice, then they started disappearing. Are they even around any more?


stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."


I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
midranger
RealGM
Posts: 34,230
And1: 5,512
Joined: May 12, 2002

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1922 » by midranger » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:There were other copies of this and it was not the original, but did anyone have Fat Sandwich in Madison? This was like 2008-2010.

I know these types of sandwiches exist and began mostly in New Jersey and then this particular chain tried to create something on a few college campuses but I think I drunkenly ate a sandwich with chicken fingers, fries, jalapeno poppers, and ham or something like that at 3 AM after a night at Monday's like 5-10 times. I doubt I would actually enjoy it sober, but it was still an experience.


I went there a couple times when it was open. Both times I was disappointed. It was more of "sounds tastier in theory than in practice."

My late night stop in Madison was Jin's Chicken and Fish when that cart would open up after midnight. You had to get there 15 minutes early or you'd be in line forever - that is, unless you were willing to pay double to go to the VIP window behind back.


Jin's was incredible. I'm assuming it is not still around? I think they had a screen with whatever 2006-era Mike Jones whatever music video (dating myself) going on as well so the ambiance was great.

YES! Spicy fish Sammy and orange crush was my jam in the pre-vegan bar time days (2000-2008)
User avatar
vital_signs
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,448
And1: 465
Joined: Feb 12, 2015
 

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1923 » by vital_signs » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Cheba Hut's Humboldt veggie sub is amazing. Website is saying they are no longer do sprouts though, hope that's just temporary.
Can't gamble feeding baby on that dope money, might not always be sufficient.
User avatar
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 26,998
And1: 9,678
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
       

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1924 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:41 pm

vital_signs wrote:Cheba Hut's Humboldt veggie sub is amazing. Website is saying they are no longer do sprouts though, hope that's just temporary.


It seems to me like they reduced their menu considerably in light of COVID19. Idk...one of my faves isn't on there anymore, either.
mattg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,637
And1: 1,740
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1925 » by mattg » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:01 pm

Quiznos to me was atrocious. Ingredients were meh, sauces straight garbage, and they absolutely torched every single sandwich they ever tried to toast. Similar caliber to current subway which is junk. Old subway was slightly better but not much. Cousins drastically outclasses both strictly on bread alone, but imo is very overpriced.

Ebert and Gerberts was like slightly better Jimmy Johns and would give you the cut out piece of bread from inside your sandwich, but they were super basic too. Most sub places just aren’t really very good when it comes down to it. It was one thing when you could legit get a full sandwich for around 5 bucks at these places but the cost creep of fast food has turned sub places to a joke imo.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 76,825
And1: 16,952
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1926 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:09 pm

Having 'nduja on a homemade pie tonight for the first time. Not an ingredient you can find around here so I ordered it a few weeks ago. I am excite.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 13,193
And1: 5,763
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1927 » by stellation » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:17 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Having 'nduja on a homemade pie tonight for the first time. Not an ingredient you can find around here so I ordered it a few weeks ago. I am excite.

'nduja? I think we all already knew it anyway, but WE GOT A **** HIPSTER FOODIE HERE FELLAS!

Spoiler:
I love 'nduja- in the before times I used to get it from a place at the local farmers market that made it using all local ingredients and it was wonderful. My go to is toasted sourdough, ricotta*, 'nduja and maybe some blistered cherry tomatoes. Wonderful.

*if people aren't making their own ricotta they're **** n00bs.
User avatar
DanoMac
General Manager
Posts: 9,015
And1: 2,526
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
     

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1928 » by DanoMac » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:18 am

No idea how Quiznos basically went out of business. They might be better than Cousins IMO. Might be #1
ACGB
General Manager
Posts: 9,518
And1: 1,710
Joined: Jan 24, 2006
Location: 414
 

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1929 » by ACGB » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:20 am

Screw all these chains. I miss being able to hit up Boo Boo's sandwiches before this quarantine started.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 76,825
And1: 16,952
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1930 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:43 am

stellation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Having 'nduja on a homemade pie tonight for the first time. Not an ingredient you can find around here so I ordered it a few weeks ago. I am excite.

'nduja? I think we all already knew it anyway, but WE GOT A **** HIPSTER FOODIE HERE FELLAS!

Spoiler:
I love 'nduja- in the before times I used to get it from a place at the local farmers market that made it using all local ingredients and it was wonderful. My go to is toasted sourdough, ricotta*, 'nduja and maybe some blistered cherry tomatoes. Wonderful.

*if people aren't making their own ricotta they're **** n00bs.


Gotta say, didn't love it on the pizza. It was fine, but I have enough to make it with a tomato sauce for pasta and in Kenji's three ingredient mac. Favorite pizza topping remains spicy calabrese salami.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 13,193
And1: 5,763
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1931 » by stellation » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:03 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
stellation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Having 'nduja on a homemade pie tonight for the first time. Not an ingredient you can find around here so I ordered it a few weeks ago. I am excite.

'nduja? I think we all already knew it anyway, but WE GOT A **** HIPSTER FOODIE HERE FELLAS!

Spoiler:
I love 'nduja- in the before times I used to get it from a place at the local farmers market that made it using all local ingredients and it was wonderful. My go to is toasted sourdough, ricotta*, 'nduja and maybe some blistered cherry tomatoes. Wonderful.

*if people aren't making their own ricotta they're **** n00bs.


Gotta say, didn't love it on the pizza. It was fine, but I have enough to make it with a tomato sauce for pasta and in Kenji's three ingredient mac. Favorite pizza topping remains spicy calabrese salami.

I don't particularly like it cooked and probably wouldn't love it on pizza.
VegasKuehl
Sophomore
Posts: 123
And1: 3
Joined: Jun 09, 2007
Location: West Palm Beach

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1932 » by VegasKuehl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:46 am

No love for Goldcoast Subs?
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 76,825
And1: 16,952
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1933 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:52 am

Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
jschligs
Analyst
Posts: 3,667
And1: 1,976
Joined: Jul 20, 2016
     

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1934 » by jschligs » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:45 am

We've been eating in and cooking every meal for over a month now. Last night we decided to do take out at a restaurant we find decent/maybe slightly above average, Me & Julio's in Fitchburg. Needless to say it's ravaging my stomach since the moment I ate it.
User avatar
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 26,998
And1: 9,678
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
       

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1935 » by humanrefutation » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:25 pm

I'm still doing takeout about once a week. Working from home has given me a lot more time to cook - mainly, to do the prep work - and that really stifles any justification for laziness.
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 29,338
And1: 2,058
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1936 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:38 pm

jschligs wrote:We've been eating in and cooking every meal for over a month now. Last night we decided to do take out at a restaurant we find decent/maybe slightly above average, Me & Julio's in Fitchburg. Needless to say it's ravaging my stomach since the moment I ate it.


My mom & stepdad live really close to there and that is good to hear/somewhat surprising...it just seems like a somewhat bad location so restaurants are doomed to fail there. I liked the last few iterations of Italian places there but they all folded up and so I don't even know if they gave Me & Julio the time of day.
User avatar
BucksFanSD
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,769
And1: 531
Joined: Jun 28, 2012

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1937 » by BucksFanSD » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Youtube Yoga at home before bed. Very soothing and gets the kinks out.
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 31,679
And1: 4,887
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1938 » by Mags FTW » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:06 pm

My wife has been pushing ordering from local restaurants to help them out. We do it at least once, usually twice a week.

I think she also wants to keep me out of the grocery stores as much as possible.
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 26,987
And1: 3,783
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1939 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:31 pm

We just signed up for a CSA for the spring/summer. Three fold: to help support our local farmers, to help us continue having fresh ingredients/healthy options between grocery trips (we're only going every 1.5-2 weeks thus far), and to supplement what will likely be a down year in our own garden.
User avatar
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 26,998
And1: 9,678
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
       

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1940 » by humanrefutation » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:28 pm

Made this for breakfast this morning. So simple and so good.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks