ImageImage

No Conferences standings and PO brackets

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

No Conferences standings and PO brackets 

Post#1 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 am

Still pissed of they don't let me watch NBA on my pc at work, to exact revenge I used company resources (excel - whoa!) to conduct an experiment: What would the standings and POs look like if there were no conferences, and all teams played each other twice (home and away) for a total of 58 games only?

Boring technical details in the spoiler
Spoiler:
Basically when teams played eachother in the same building more than once I just removed the 2nd game and ran the standings again, that's all.

Resolving ties was a bitch however. Normal NBA rules use conference and division standings to resolve ties, but that's obviously not applicable in my model, so I used the score differential in the games against eachother. Triple ties were lots of fun to calculate, even with excel (whoa!). Aggregate score differentials in all 6 games between them and sort.

And this is the result:

So the East would lose one team in POs, that's the biggest difference.
Kings instead of Magic, Lakers still don't make it, Bucks are still first.
However looking further down the East only has 2 teams in the top 8, which of course has an impact on brackets:

Interesting pairings I reckon, would love to see Raps/Celtics in the 1st round (although Raps probably still make it through)
We probably get the Sixers in the 2nd round, and that would be a bitch with Jimmy and Redick how they actually played in the 2nd round last year. I think the Raps still win it ultimately, given GS injuries, but the pairings look great straight from the 1st round.

On to this year so far (up to yesterday)

The East looks better with more teams up top, especially the Celtics look great, but still one less PO team than the West. Raps lower than you'd expect, seems their current record is boosted by bad East opponents. Bucks still way ahead.

And here's the bracket if POs started today:

Man that's a drool worthy 1st round, other than Lakers-Nets nothing else is certain.

Bottom line:
That's the League I'd love to watch. Less RS games, and using scores to resolve ties makes many games much more important.
But most importantly the POs look more meaningful right off the bat, to me anyway.

What do you think?
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Re: No Conferences standings and PO brackets 

Post#2 » by AussieBuck » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 am

Lakers have a sweet run to the finals.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#3 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 am

AussieBuck wrote:Lakers have a sweet run to the finals.

The Rockets did them the other day though, with the small ball
Man that was a science experiment and a half, jump all was Harden - AD :lol:
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#4 » by MrPerfect1 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am

Good thing this isnt the real playoffs. The Bucks get screwed over and the Lakers Cake walk to the Finals
slos
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#5 » by slos » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 am

I would love to see that system, where everybody plays with everybody twice. I can't understand why conferences still exist. The problem is that RS games will be reduced from 82 to 58 and this is not good for business. That's going from 1230 games to 870 games. I guess nobody wants to lose 360 games from the NBA.

So I would add to that:

1. Two more teams. You have now 62 RS games and a total of 992 games, which is 238 games less.
2. A mid season tournament with "best of 3" series. It starts with last year's 1st playing with 32nd, the 2nd playing with the 31st etc. Series that need a third game it will take place in the team that finished lower the season. These will be more interesting games than random RS season games. The total amount will be an extra 62-93 games. The average is 78 games, which means that in total NBA will lose only 160 games going from 1230 to 1070. Which a 13% decrease.

P.S. I wish my math is OK. No more time to spare in work :banghead:
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#6 » by DutchManDanFan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Still 2nd round against winner of Phily-Miami series...
I like the conference finals for more rivalry between teams. We meet Toronto and/or Boston every year en route to the finals.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#7 » by buckboy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:Good thing this isnt the real playoffs. The Bucks get screwed over and the Lakers Cake walk to the Finals

Except the Clippers would presumably be trying and be the 2 or 3 seed.

This would be soooooooo much better as an overall format, but of course will never happen.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,845

Post#8 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:49 pm

You should just take the head-to-head win rates and convert them to a 2-game rate. Might not get a whole number at the end, but at least you're not needlessly excluding data. Regular season results and noisy enough without deleting 24 of them.

Example: The Bucks win 3 out of 4 games against the Pacers. They get 1.5 wins and .5 losses in the new standings. Might not get a whole number at the end, but it would be more representative IMO.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#9 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 pm

slos wrote:I would love to see that system, where everybody plays with everybody twice. I can't understand why conferences still exist. The problem is that RS games will be reduced from 82 to 58 and this is not good for business. That's going from 1230 games to 870 games. I guess nobody wants to lose 360 games from the NBA.

3 games against conference rivals, 2 against non-conference. Compromise. No more back-to-backs or maintenance days, more equitable schedule without completely abandoning conference rivalries, don't lose too many games. (I know 10 games is a lot of revenue, but 72 should be plenty of games IMO and the relative meaninglessness of regular season games is a revenue issue too.)
bucksfansince88
Analyst
And1: 1,772

Post#10 » by bucksfansince88 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 pm

pachinko for commissioner
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#11 » by emunney » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Would like the G League to experiment with teams drafting their first round opponent.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#12 » by Beorn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:20 pm

3 games vs intra-Conference opponents, 2 games vs the rest. 72 RS games, and make H2H wins and point differential the tiebreakers in case of same records. Voila
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#13 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 pm

Beorn wrote:3 games vs intra-Conference opponents, 2 games vs the rest. 72 RS games, and make H2H wins and point differential the tiebreakers in case of same records. Voila

Um....

coolhandluke121 wrote:3 games against conference rivals, 2 against non-conference. Compromise. No more back-to-backs or maintenance days, more equitable schedule without completely abandoning conference rivalries, don't lose too many games. (I know 10 games is a lot of revenue, but 72 should be plenty of games IMO and the relative meaninglessness of regular season games is a revenue issue too.)
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#14 » by Beorn » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:37 am

yes, I noticed after posting
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,256

Post#15 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am

Most fans agree that 82 games is too many. The problem is convincing the players to cut their salaries.
Read on Twitter
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#16 » by Siefer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:04 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:Most fans agree that 82 games is too many. The problem is convincing the players to cut their salaries.

Ahhhh, so that's the problem.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#17 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:17 am

Siefer wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:Most fans agree that 82 games is too many. The problem is convincing the players to cut their salaries.

Ahhhh, so that's the problem.

Fewer games = less revenue = lower salaries. As a fan, I would love a 58 game season. I think Pachinko's idea would make the NBA more enjoyable and fair. But we have to accept that eliminating games is pretty much a non-starter. If you disagree with me, I would love to hear why.

Read on Twitter
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,273

Post#18 » by Finn » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:06 pm

Maybe fewer games = more expensive tickets, concessions, parking, & gear + PSL = equal revenue = equal salaries.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#19 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:44 am

Finn wrote:Maybe fewer games = more expensive tickets, concessions, parking, & gear + PSL = equal revenue = equal salaries.

Ignoring the fact that you'd be driving away fans, the NBA makes most of its money from television rights deals.

Read on Twitter
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#20 » by blazza18 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:26 am

Less games makes the nation tv games more valuable. Still think there is a compromise between cutting games and the owners/players being happy.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks