ImageImage

PG: Bucks Come Up Short in Miami

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Re: PG: Bucks Come Up Short in Miami 

Post#221 » by KidA24 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:05 pm

mattg wrote:I mean sequences like that are on Giannis making a better decision. No player deserves a call when they throw up some garbage out of control falling down shot at the backboard. He was swarmed and didn’t even look to pass. There is no excuse there, his recognition HAS to be better. It’s stuff like that why “the wall” gives us so many problems. It’s just bad decision making.

Pat, DDV and Wes are all unguarded, you're absolutely right.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#222 » by greekbuck34 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:16 pm

mattg wrote::crazy:
greekbuck34 wrote:Dragic hacks one arm, Bam hacks and grabs the other pushing off Giannis to the bench, no call easy transition layup for Miami.
Dragic gets awarded one more time for a flop in the return.

I think this sequence was straight after our timeout. We kind of give up after that when they hit a couple more 3s and we couldn't answer.

Giannis is surrounded by 4 defenders before any of what you mention occurs. That sequence is all on him and anyone who thinks different is just being a homer.

You can be surrounded still get fouled while going up for a shot and if you thing a hack and extended contact on someones arm while he is shooting the ball is not a foul then you don't know what you are saying. I think even the Miami Heat's casters said Bam got away with one there.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#223 » by WRau1 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:42 pm

greekbuck34 wrote:
mattg wrote::crazy:
greekbuck34 wrote:Dragic hacks one arm, Bam hacks and grabs the other pushing off Giannis to the bench, no call easy transition layup for Miami.
Dragic gets awarded one more time for a flop in the return.

I think this sequence was straight after our timeout. We kind of give up after that when they hit a couple more 3s and we couldn't answer.

Giannis is surrounded by 4 defenders before any of what you mention occurs. That sequence is all on him and anyone who thinks different is just being a homer.

You can be surrounded still get fouled while going up for a shot and if you thing a hack and extended contact on someones arm while he is shooting the ball is not a foul then you don't know what you are saying. I think even the Miami Heat's casters said Bam got away with one there.

Miami's announce team was saying all night that they were surprised how much "physically" they were getting away with. Other than saying Giannis flopped, that announce team was actually pretty down the middle.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#224 » by blazza18 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:29 am

Giannis throws the ball up because he thought he was going to get a call. Not saying Giannis doesn't need to make better decisions but four fouls should've been called there.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#225 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:42 am

Yeah, I don't think it's Giannis natural movement to jump sideways, miss a bunny and then go flying past the sidelines. We know it was a push and probably a hack or three, but it doesn't matter. Look how open is everybody at the 3 point line as Giannis is getting gang banged in the paint. The Raptors were great last year at triple teaming him, then stretching out to the 3pt line, and then back to triple teaming almost instantly, but this is not the case here. This is just Giannis not thinking clearly. Probably tired.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,727

Post#226 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:01 am

Pachinko_ wrote:

Yeah, I don't think it's Giannis natural movement to jump sideways, miss a bunny and then go flying past the sidelines. We know it was a push and probably a hack or three, but it doesn't matter. Look how open is everybody at the 3 point line as Giannis is getting gang banged in the paint. The Raptors were great last year at triple teaming him, then stretching out to the 3pt line, and then back to triple teaming almost instantly, but this is not the case here. This is just Giannis not thinking clearly. Probably tired.

Eh I think it's a bit of overstatement. He was generally swinging the ball around for a good amount of the game.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#227 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:06 am

CharityStripe34 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:

Eh I think it's a bit of overstatement. He was generally swinging the ball around for a good amount of the game.

Maybe yeah, I didn't actually watch the game, just talking about this specific play.
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#228 » by greekbuck34 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:27 am

Yeah he could have moved the ball for another 3 but at that point we were shooting 5/30 3s with most of those wide open.
When you are this cold you have to attack some times with you best players and get to the line to stop the bleeding and Giannis did it successfully aside from not getting the cold.

It wasn't like he was pushing it for a call. I think he only had 2 FTs in the game overall...
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#229 » by mattg » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:46 am

greekbuck34 wrote:Yeah he could have moved the ball for another 3 but at that point we were shooting 5/30 3s with most of those wide open.
When you are this cold you have to attack some times with you best players and get to the line to stop the bleeding and Giannis did it successfully aside from not getting the cold.

It wasn't like he was pushing it for a call. I think he only had 2 FTs in the game overall...

Attacking into 4 defenders is not smart at all. This is a supreme example of bad situational awareness given the game state. We talked earlier about how the game was in reach at that possession, it is absolutely paramount in those moments that the offense gets a good shot. GIannis as the best player is responsible for that if we are gonna put the ball in his hands. Aggressively attacking multiple defenders and hoping for a whistle is not a high IQ play and is a bad decision given the context of the game at the time. Hell, even if hypothetically Giannis wasn't fouled and hacked, and wasn't touched there, the fact that he'd not even consider the pass to a wide open teammate when swarmed is an issue. The bucks aren't winning a title with those decisions. They aren't gonna get that call in the playoffs, and the expected value of a wide open catch and shoot 3 is higher than a Giannis hook shot with multiple defenders on him from the mid post. People talk about Bud adjusting the offense to scheme against the wall that will be built to stop Giannis, but ultimately the adjustments that mainly need to be made are from Giannis making quicker decisions and recognizing what the defense is doing faster. That's what destroyed us last year. The MVP HAS TO BE BETTER. Simple as that.
Craig_Hodges
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#230 » by Craig_Hodges » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:47 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Craig_Hodges wrote:By just about every metric, defense is not this teams’ problem.

Every team that can shoot the 3 hopes coach Bud is this myopic about the issue.

Forgive me, but it hardly seems myopic to point out that the defense might not have been the problem on a night where the bucks managed 89 points. Similar to the Toronto series where the defense really didn’t bother me those final 3 games. What bothered me was scoring 102, 99 and 94 respectively.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#231 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:11 am

Craig_Hodges wrote:
Forgive me, but it hardly seems myopic to point out that the defense might not have been the problem on a night where the bucks managed 89 points. Similar to the Toronto series where the defense really didn’t bother me those final 3 games. What bothered me was scoring 102, 99 and 94 respectively.

What bothered me was losing. Defending the 3 better would have won the Bucks the series. You can't take that off the table just because you would have preferred to win by scoring more points, especially when they proved capable of playing even better defense when they switch more, which they'll hopefully do with Marvin and Giannis at PF and C, respectively.

The path to offensive improvement isn't easy. They just don't shoot very well. The question is not whether they should improve the offense or the defense. The question is which one they can improve more easily, regardless of which one is already their greater strength. I stand by what I said. It's myopic to dismiss any opportunities for defensive improvement just because they're already great on defense.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#232 » by emunney » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:30 am

It's been nice that Pat's been hot lately. I'd say it makes up for Korver's absence but he doesn't induce panic in the defense like Korver does, even when he's shooting 48.6% from 3 since his little break from the rotation.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#233 » by TroyD92 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:16 am

Miami game was perfect for a Korver special. Run off screens and cause panic all over the court. Outside of Klay and Steph I’m not sure there’s a single player that teams scramble after more than korver (maybe Duncan Robinson at this point).
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks