ImageImage

PG: Suns Burn Bucks

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Re: PG: Suns Burn Bucks 

Post#81 » by Diggr14 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:23 pm

KD and Kyrie wont be much of an issue. They need players around them. If they get that, then ok... but right now, nah, not worried.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,017

Post#82 » by FrieAaron » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:24 pm

msiris wrote:People acting like I am jumping ship now. I am with holding judgement until after the is season done. If they do not make the Finals in two years of having the best record you would not consider changes? Come on now.

To be clear, you're talking about hypothetically firing a coach after his second year with a regular season record that will be somewhere in the ballpark of 125-39. If they fail to make the finals again this year then of course you look to make changes, but that would just about be the last place I look at this point. Of course I don't agree with every decision he has made, but I think Bud has done a pretty great job of putting the players in a position to win, and in the end that's most of what a coach can do. The players have to make the most of it.

But of course, these are all reactionary takes because the team has had the temerity to hit a bit of the slump and lose two in a row (and go 1-3 in their last 4!). Keep in mind that the Lakers have had a 4 game losing streak this year, the Clippers have had a 6-6 stretch, etc. We've been exceptionally spoiled to have a team who has rarely faced this kind of adversity.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,089

Post#83 » by DingleJerry » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:25 pm

Spoiler:
fan230 wrote:Our offensive strategy of let it fly is dooming us on offense. We have only KM as a good shooter among starters. Brook’s 3 pt shooting fell from last year. Wes being a shooting guard is a joke on offense. Both Horst and Bud have responsibilities for this, especially Horst in not adding a shooter. We are absolutely not a great 3 point shooting team; I don’t understand the validity of let it fly any more.

Our defense has always been about defending the rim well. Teams have adjusted from last year. Many teams not only have impeccable shooters but also attempt more 3 pointers against us. So the excuse that we often hear that the other team got unusually hot in 3 point shooting against us and that is why we lost, is v misleading. It will happen more and more as more teams adjust.

Bledsoe is a strong defender and is a good driving scorer. We signed him to a good contract early. He has never been a distance shooter. Khris was the best 2nd star we could get and we almost had no choice but to sign him to the high money contract. And he is our best shooter. But he is our Only shooter among starters. Brogdon should have been replaced by a much better shooter than Wes. Brogdon’s defense was good but maybe not as good as Wes’. Yet we needed a good shooter badly with reasonable defense.

I believe keeping DJ with his salary for next year was a mistake rather than keeping Bender who has weaknesses but is a better shooter.

What do we do? Defensively we have to try to focus on being able to defend the 3s much much more. That is killing us. Offensively it is a harder choice. But the let it fly has to be tempered. Ddv has to get starter minutes; he can drive and make shots from 3 point range. He should see if he could make 2 point shots also. Pat C should also try more 2 point shots.

Bud needs to try Thanasis more. He can bring energy and maybe will be a good defender against the 3s.

Horst should desperately try to get a shooter.

We risk falling off a cliff if we do not consider any of the above.

Note that KD and Kyrie Nets will be hard to beat next year. This year is our best window of opportunity for the championship.

Most importantly we do not want to lose Giannis especially because of our poor shooting support to his play. Also, if Thanasis was signed to make him happy and increase the chances of Giannis’ resigning, it makes no sense for Bud to play him so seldom and that too in the last minute or so.

I value the board’s opinions highly. I am sure some of my thoughts have flaws but what is truly important for us is to come up with suggestions about what can be done now. I feel the Bucks do read this board sometimes at least. If not, we just have to rely on the experts like Horst and Bud, and we can just vent here.

Thanks.

For the most part I don't think you're off on the "we're not that good at shooting" viewpoint while possibly going a touch overboard. For example. Wes is hitting 37% from 3 and playing good D and you're acting like that's bad. Bled can be swapped for a 40% 3pt shooter in Hill kinda easily. But in general, yea I wish they had another lights out 3pt shooter ala a Harris/Redick type. Or even say replace someone like Pat with a sharp shooter like Matt Thomas. Not a huge move or anything, but lots of Pat skills are covered by others, let's focus on a sharpshooter instead.

But, no way Thanassis is the solution to anything. That take in this is way off. You're first saying we need shooting and then adding that we should put in a guy who can't shoot, kinda to appease Giannis? Thanasis is not an NBA player.

I'd also nitpick that last year was their best bet at a title. GSW injured so the finals was a freebie. Had Tor down 2-0.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,677

Post#84 » by msiris » Mon Mar 9, 2020 3:42 pm

0-3 in conference finals does not bother anyone?
Ride the tank
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,201

Post#85 » by dbrodz7 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:00 pm

When is it time to bench our incredible starting shooting guard that's averaging 7 2 and 1 on 40% shooting and replace him with the young guy who is way better than he is?

Or is this going to be Bud's big playoff adjustment when we're down 2-1 in the conference finals?
Misery loves company
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#86 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:14 pm

I appreciated the way they competed. Ersan has to take/get more than 0 shots. People were missing him wide open at the 3pt line all night.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#87 » by emunney » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:21 pm

Man, I think Donte might be an all-star next year.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,409

Post#88 » by steger_3434 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:29 pm

msiris wrote:0-3 in conference finals does not bother anyone?

One was with a severely overachieving Atlanta squad that had no stars going up against the best or second best player to ever play

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
hdroffffff
Sixth Man
And1: 58

Post#89 » by hdroffffff » Mon Mar 9, 2020 6:25 pm

Don't post much but had to comment. Fire Bud if they don't make the Finals this year? Really?? lol

How about we look at our top two options behind Giannis and start there. Not saying Middleton and Bledsoe aren't good players, but they both have a tendency for shying away in the big games, and arguably we're going to need another top tier player along with Giannis to win a title. Those two might not be good enough.

But the Bucks are 113-34 since Bud took over and have been the top offensive and defensive team both years. He isn't the problem.
emunney
RealGM

Post#90 » by emunney » Mon Mar 9, 2020 7:02 pm

I think saying Lasry could do it is kind of a proxy for thinking yourself it should be considered but not wanting to draw fire. I don't think it should be done, regardless of where or whether we lose in the playoffs, and I don't think it will be done. We've averaged more wins these past two years than we've won in any one season in more than three decades. Who would the replacement be?

Anyway this is all putting the cart before the horse. We've got to try to get healthy before the playoffs, and then we can see what lessons this team really learned from the Toronto series.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,677

Post#91 » by msiris » Mon Mar 9, 2020 7:22 pm

emunney wrote:Anyway this is all putting the cart before the horse. We've got to try to get healthy before the playoffs, and then we can see what lessons this team really learned from the Toronto series.
And if we do not learn anything from last year what is next? Making personal changes is next right? And I am not talking changing backups. If Bledsoe disappears like he did verses the Raptors then we move on from him? Going to be hard making personal changes when we have tied up a lot of cap space.
Ride the tank
emunney
RealGM

Post#92 » by emunney » Mon Mar 9, 2020 7:40 pm

msiris wrote:
emunney wrote:Anyway this is all putting the cart before the horse. We've got to try to get healthy before the playoffs, and then we can see what lessons this team really learned from the Toronto series.
And if we do not learn anything from last year what is next? Making personal changes is next right? And I am not talking changing backups. If Bledsoe disappears like he did verses the Raptors then we move on from him? Going to be hard making personal changes when we have tied up a lot of cap space.

If we get to a point where we determine we need to make a substantial change, I'd have to weigh the available evidence on which I'm basing that belief along with available avenues to making that change and decide whether it makes sense to make a move right away or wait for a more advantageous time.

I personally am inclined to move Bledsoe eventually for reasons that have nothing to do with performance in any particular game or series. It's just about the type of player he is and getting somebody who can force defenses into a more difficult decision when Giannis has the ball, and hopefully make better decisions with the ball in his hands. I just don't know if the opportunity to get that player is going to be there for us. I don't think the Pelicans would give up Lonzo but that's who I want.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks