OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,337

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#1621 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:20 pm

jschligs wrote:Dave season 2 comes out this summer!

Also, I'm way late to the party on Yellowstone. Show is unreal! Almost done with season 2 and holy buckets does it get crazy.

I enjoy Yellowstone, fun show.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,010

Post#1622 » by Siefer » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:31 pm

Okay, I need some guidance. My wife and I watched the first episode of "Warrior" last night...and I really want an excuse to keep watching it, but the writing and directing were just so **** terrible. The premise is great, the production seems solid, the action sequences were good, and the cast seems game (for the most part). We both really enjoy martial arts films, and I'm totally willing to roll with corny scripts in that space, but the writing was so bad. The directing, while maybe not quite as awful, was often ham-fisted and clumsy, and I'm pretty off how they're playing the spoken Cantonese. Does it get better? Is there at least something I can hang onto that will get me through, like even better/more frequent action?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,004

Post#1623 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:51 pm

Siefer wrote:Okay, I need some guidance. My wife and I watched the first episode of "Warrior" last night...and I really want an excuse to keep watching it, but the writing and directing were just so **** terrible. The premise is great, the production seems solid, the action sequences were good, and the cast seems game (for the most part). We both really enjoy martial arts films, and I'm totally willing to roll with corny scripts in that space, but the writing was so bad. The directing, while maybe not quite as awful, was often ham-fisted and clumsy, and I'm pretty off how they're playing the spoken Cantonese. Does it get better? Is there at least something I can hang onto that will get me through, like even better/more frequent action?

You're literally the first person I've seen say a bad word about Warrior. If you don't like it so far, it's probably not gonna be for you.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#1624 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:16 am

Siefer wrote:Okay, I need some guidance. My wife and I watched the first episode of "Warrior" last night...and I really want an excuse to keep watching it, but the writing and directing were just so **** terrible. The premise is great, the production seems solid, the action sequences were good, and the cast seems game (for the most part). We both really enjoy martial arts films, and I'm totally willing to roll with corny scripts in that space, but the writing was so bad. The directing, while maybe not quite as awful, was often ham-fisted and clumsy, and I'm pretty off how they're playing the spoken Cantonese. Does it get better? Is there at least something I can hang onto that will get me through, like even better/more frequent action?
It gets a little better in that regard but that will always be its achilles heel. If you like the genre I feel like you have looked past far worse.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,368

Post#1625 » by MoreTrife » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:12 pm

I'm with you. Couldn't take it. Felt like network production.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1626 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 pm

In a franchise with aliens, witches, a multiverse, and astral projection, Falcon and the Winter Soldier is by far the most non-sensical.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1627 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:22 pm

Mortal Kombat was dumb as hell and I loved it.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#1628 » by truly » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:15 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Mortal Kombat was dumb as hell and I loved it.

Spoiler:
It was bad.Especially the writing and acting.Not impressed with some of the fights either.
It also felt like it had too many characters and too little time.

Cole young?I didn't care at all about him or his family.

Sonya/liu kang were meh.Liu kang was my favourite when I was a kid and he is just throwing fire balls around in this. Where's the fighting???

Raiden/shang tsung I'll take the ones in the 1995 movie over them easily.

Jax was good in the beginning but then he kinda disappeared.His fight at the end was probably the worst.

Kabal was portrayed surprisingly well.Liked kung lao as well.

Scorpion/sub-zero were great.The opening scene is probably the best part.They could have easily made the whole thing around them as an introduction to the universe.

Kano was amazing.The actor was good,the jokes were great and his douchebaggery on point.They clearly merged cage in him and the result was excellent.

Overall I am definitely not recommending it to anyone who isn't a big fan :)
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,659

Post#1629 » by BroncoBuck » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:26 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Mortal Kombat was dumb as hell and I loved it.

I’m in the same boat. The franchise has always been about expanding the roster and adding new people so I didn’t really care about the whole Cole thing, plus I think Lewis Tan is a good protagonist choice since he can both act and do martial arts/stunts. I hope Iko Uwais will play a role in the sequel, maybe one of the other Lin Kuei

They really nailed the Kung Lao, Kano, Scorpion, Subzero, Shang Tsung casting.

Definitely not a movie for everyone, but I think the fans will really enjoy it
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#1630 » by Lippo » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:06 am

Yep, gets better and better, like Black Sails
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1631 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Finished The Serpant mini series. I wasn't familiar with this real story so found it facinating.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,161

Post#1632 » by skones » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:55 pm

As of yesterday, it was made official. I once got rip roaring drunk with Captain America.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#1633 » by glenn » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:58 pm

Conflicted on Falcon and Winter Soldier. Thought the actors did great and there were some really solid parts, but the writing was all over the damn place. They really couldn’t settle on a coherent theme, which is a shame because there were some things touched on that could have really hit hard if done well.
:reporter:
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#1634 » by HurricaneKid » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:57 am

glenn wrote:Conflicted on Falcon and Winter Soldier. Thought the actors did great and there were some really solid parts, but the writing was all over the damn place. They really couldn’t settle on a coherent theme, which is a shame because there were some things touched on that could have really hit hard if done well.
I thought it was great. The 6 episode arc was strange. They could have fleshed out a few more things or left some out entirely to be sure. But I thought that had more to do with some dumb contractual issue. If you were expecting more out of this series than you got you had much higher expectations than me. I never even got through Wandavision.

I wish I had gotten drunk with Mackie. Really like him.

fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#1635 » by HurricaneKid » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:59 am

Lippo wrote:

Yep, gets better and better, like Black Sails
Black Sails was great. Warrior is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I dont consider them on the same plane. Maybe more like Banshee, another forum fav. A few decent actors, a lot of good action and a bit over the too.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1636 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:59 am

Falcon and the Winter Soldier was really pretty terrible.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,003

Post#1637 » by midranger » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:10 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Falcon and the Winter Soldier was really pretty terrible.

Granted, I was watching while taking care of kids and everything, but I didn't understand what was going on at all. The Palm faced supersoldiers were fighting for what? The politicians were trying to displace people who took the homes of the blipped back people who are now ostensibly homeless? And this is really loathsome? Who the hell was Elaine? Who was Peggy's niece?

I understood literally none of it, which is a shame I think because Mackie, and especially Stan were great and the transition to a Black Captain America could have been really powerful.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1638 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:24 am

midranger wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Falcon and the Winter Soldier was really pretty terrible.

Granted, I was watching while taking care of kids and everything, but I didn't understand what was going on at all. The Palm faced supersoldiers were fighting for what? The politicians were trying to displace people who took the homes of the blipped back people who are now ostensibly homeless? And this is really loathsome? Who the hell was Elaine? Who was Peggy's niece?

I understood literally none of it, which is a shame I think because Mackie, and especially Stan were great and the transition to a Black Captain America could have been really powerful.

The "terrorists" were fighting nationalism, and they were the ones who at the end all got dead. Sharon Carter broke bad and it was never explained why. John Walker decapitated a dude, is booted from his job (but never stands trial for, you know, murder) and in the last episode gets a Hero Shot moment with Sam and Bucky. Bucky kills a guy's son and the last shot of the two is them smiling at each other. Sam gives a god damn Aaron Sorkin speech that had my eyes roll back in my head. Also John Walker is a new guy now because his suit is black? Cool.

Trash show.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1639 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:33 am

Read on Twitter

I loved the book, even when I was incredibly disturbed, and hated the movie. I wonder which way the show will skew.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,561

Post#1640 » by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:34 am

Was a big fan of both the book and movie. This sounds awesome!
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks