OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#461 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jun 8, 2020 12:36 am

The Warlord Chronicles are my favorite novels. I don't know why it hasn't been adapted yet to TV. The Grail series is also really good.

ETA: Holy **** it actually might happen. The network Epix has ordered the series, to be titled The Winter King.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,721

Post#462 » by jimmybones » Mon Jun 8, 2020 7:14 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
buckboy wrote:S1 E1 Last Kingdom:

Prettay prettay prettay good.

Stick with it, you're in for a treat!

Is it normal to be confused by the names? :o I'm 5 episodes in and having a hard time following who is who and what is happening. Am I too dumb for the show or do I power on?

I'm also a massive GOT Stan and it took a decent amount of reading online for me to start to fully grasp what was going on there with the lands, family names, sigils, etc.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,947

Post#463 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:31 pm

jimmybones wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
buckboy wrote:S1 E1 Last Kingdom:

Prettay prettay prettay good.

Stick with it, you're in for a treat!

Is it normal to be confused by the names? :o I'm 5 episodes in and having a hard time following who is who and what is happening. Am I too dumb for the show or do I power on?

I'm also a massive GOT Stan and it took a decent amount of reading online for me to start to fully grasp what was going on there with the lands, family names, sigils, etc.

It gets easier to follow as you keep watching. Aethel-this, Aethel-that.

No shame in pulling up the fan wiki page to help navigate the world. Brushing up on Anglo-Saxon maps from the times can be helpful too.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#464 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:08 pm

Don't know how good this is gonna be, but I'm sure I'll check it out.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#465 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jun 9, 2020 4:07 pm

I guess I'll be the one to say it but I don't think Keanu or that other guy (I don't know his name) have the comedic acting chops to make it work 30 years later. Maybe Bill and Ted just wasn't in my generational wheelhouse of stoner-bro comedy, but I mean, was anyone really clamoring for this sequel to made?
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#466 » by tski1972 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 4:33 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I guess I'll be the one to say it but I don't think Keanu or that other guy (I don't know his name) have the comedic acting chops to make it work 30 years later. Maybe Bill and Ted just wasn't in my generational wheelhouse of stoner-bro comedy, but I mean, was anyone really clamoring for this sequel to made?

They didn’t have the comedic acting chops 30 years ago either but it was still entertaining.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#467 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 9, 2020 4:37 pm

I just watching Bill and Ted last week during a COVID binge session and it still holds up. Great movie.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#468 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jun 9, 2020 4:39 pm

tski1972 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I guess I'll be the one to say it but I don't think Keanu or that other guy (I don't know his name) have the comedic acting chops to make it work 30 years later. Maybe Bill and Ted just wasn't in my generational wheelhouse of stoner-bro comedy, but I mean, was anyone really clamoring for this sequel to made?

They didn’t have the comedic acting chops 30 years ago either but it was still entertaining.

Ha, touche.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#469 » by RRyder823 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 6:33 pm

I was so desperate for sports I watched Draft Day on prime...... I need a shower

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#470 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 9, 2020 6:36 pm

RRyder823 wrote:I was so desperate for sports I watched Draft Day on prime...... I need a shower

I did too. I watched a lot of random (some pretty bad) movies the last couple weeks.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#471 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jun 9, 2020 7:42 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Nope. I was/am a huge seasons 1-4 stan. TLK is that good, IMO. I'm a big medieval historical fiction guy though too.

Yooo you read any of the Saxon Series or the Warlord Chronicles?

Yes! Anything Bernard Cornwell is fantastic. So much source material for potential TV adaptations.

Have you watched The Last Kingdom? Does right by The Saxon Stories, IMO.

Absolutely. Gotta fire up the new season. Not thrilled they couldn’t get a Welshmen to play Pyrlig or his reduced role in general, but a minor quibble. The voice actor in the audiobooks absolutely kills it.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,947

Post#472 » by RiotPunch » Tue Jun 9, 2020 10:42 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

Yooo you read any of the Saxon Series or the Warlord Chronicles?

Yes! Anything Bernard Cornwell is fantastic. So much source material for potential TV adaptations.

Have you watched The Last Kingdom? Does right by The Saxon Stories, IMO.

Absolutely. Gotta fire up the new season. Not thrilled they couldn’t get a Welshmen to play Pyrlig or his reduced role in general, but a minor quibble. The voice actor in the audiobooks absolutely kills it.

Definitely get that, would feel more authentic. Such a badass character.

I try my best to just enjoy the ride, and TLK is a great one. Books are better 99% of the time, but I appreciate the research they put into this. Writing, acting, filmography are all top-notch.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#473 » by Bucksfan28 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 10:54 pm

Finally watched Toy Story 4. Excellent movie.

Idk how many franchises can stack up when it comes to sheer quality of each installment.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#474 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Watched the first two episodes of Lennox Hill on Netflix and I really, really like it.

Also, I will watch the Will Ferrell Eurovision movie .
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#475 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:57 pm

RRyder823 wrote:I was so desperate for sports I watched Draft Day on prime...... I need a shower

There's never been a movie that was so teed up to hit my interests and failed as badly as draft day. Just a piece of **** of a movie.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#476 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:38 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

There's never been a movie that was so teed up to hit my interests and failed as badly as draft day. Just a piece of **** of a movie.

The creepy thing is I went through the whole movie thinking Jennifer Garner was Kevin Costner's daughter until, like, the last scene.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,613

Post#477 » by blazza18 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:29 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

The creepy thing is I went through the whole movie thinking Jennifer Garner was Kevin Costner's daughter until, like, the last scene.

Would have been a better movie if he knocked up his daughter.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#478 » by RRyder823 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:34 pm

blazza18 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:There's never been a movie that was so teed up to hit my interests and failed as badly as draft day. Just a piece of **** of a movie.

Would have been a better movie if he knocked up his daughter.
Wouldve made more sense then a team trading the #5 pick in the draft for 3 2nd rounders because "its a good deal" or a GM trading out of #1 only to trade everything they got for it plus another player to get the player they didn't want originally "because hes worried about his job now"

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#479 » by buckboy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:28 pm

Finally got to Uncut Gems.

Spoiler:
I thought it was pretty good. I had the same problem that I have with Ozark. The main character is a class A douchebag with really no redeeming qualities at all, so why do I care when he gets shot in the face?

I really like Sandler as a dramatic actor, and I knew it was dark going in, but I guess I just don't get the whole antihero thing. Gimme something.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#480 » by BroncoBuck » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:26 pm

I watched Spike Lee’s new joint, Da 5 Bloods. I thought it was pretty good, it’s a bit too long and meanders at points (I don’t think the flashbacks were necessary) but there are some stellar performances (Delroy Lindo deserves some hardware consideration) and I thought the story was fairly good.

It’s in my top 5 for this year (which isn’t saying much I suppose considering the lack of new releases) and it’s on Netflix so I’d definitely recommend checking it out.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks