ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

User avatar
BUCKnation
RealGM
Posts: 14,573
And1: 1,386
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
       

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#741 » by BUCKnation » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:06 am

Netflix also cancelled patriot act which sucks
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,972
And1: 18,024
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#742 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:09 am

BUCKnation wrote:Netflix also cancelled patriot act which sucks


They must not have done a great marketing job, because I thought it sounded like a good show but I'd never heard of it until this week when it was canned.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
BUCKnation
RealGM
Posts: 14,573
And1: 1,386
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
       

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#743 » by BUCKnation » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:13 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:Netflix also cancelled patriot act which sucks


They must not have done a great marketing job, because I thought it sounded like a good show but I'd never heard of it until this week when it was canned.

I think it's just tough for netflix to have weekly shows. It had a pretty active following and everyone I know who's seen it loves it. I put it up there with Last Week Tonight for sure, but I bet it easily gets buried behind all of their other stuff.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,972
And1: 18,024
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#744 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:18 am

BUCKnation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:Netflix also cancelled patriot act which sucks


They must not have done a great marketing job, because I thought it sounded like a good show but I'd never heard of it until this week when it was canned.

I think it's just tough for netflix to have weekly shows. It had a pretty active following and everyone I know who's seen it loves it. I put it up there with Last Week Tonight for sure, but I bet it easily gets buried behind all of their other stuff.


Late night TV seems like it's only as good as what goes viral the next day. I don't know anyone who watches Last Week Tonight, but I know when they do something that kills because it's all over social media the next day/week. That I think is what I mean when someone at Netflix dropped the ball on Patriot Act because I follow a lot of people on Twitter mourning the loss of the show, and none of them ever shared a clip.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
truly
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,818
And1: 1,543
Joined: Feb 05, 2016
   

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#745 » by truly » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 am



This looks good.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
User avatar
machu46
Head Coach
Posts: 7,263
And1: 2,000
Joined: Jun 28, 2012
Location: DC
       

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#746 » by machu46 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:05 am

truly wrote:

This looks good.


That is a seriously dark trailer. I had to turn the brightness up on my phone to be able to see what was happening lol
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
User avatar
machu46
Head Coach
Posts: 7,263
And1: 2,000
Joined: Jun 28, 2012
Location: DC
       

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#747 » by machu46 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
They must not have done a great marketing job, because I thought it sounded like a good show but I'd never heard of it until this week when it was canned.

I think it's just tough for netflix to have weekly shows. It had a pretty active following and everyone I know who's seen it loves it. I put it up there with Last Week Tonight for sure, but I bet it easily gets buried behind all of their other stuff.


Late night TV seems like it's only as good as what goes viral the next day. I don't know anyone who watches Last Week Tonight, but I know when they do something that kills because it's all over social media the next day/week. That I think is what I mean when someone at Netflix dropped the ball on Patriot Act because I follow a lot of people on Twitter mourning the loss of the show, and none of them ever shared a clip.


The thing that made Patriot Act unique (and also possibly why it didn't work) is because for example with Last Week Tonight, it's generally about a topic that is hot in the political culture in that moment. Patriot Act didn't really do that; one week it would randomly be an episode about predatory student loans and the next week it would randomly be about how corrupt politics are in India. It was a good show but it was never really going to go viral the way John Oliver or Stephen Colbert or Trevor Noah sometimes do.

Also just personally, while Hasan is good and funny, he isn't John Oliver good and funny IMO.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
El Duderino
RealGM
Posts: 20,479
And1: 1,279
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: Working on pad level

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#748 » by El Duderino » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:55 am

Very promising first three episodes of this series

User avatar
jimmybones
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,855
And1: 720
Joined: May 29, 2009

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#749 » by jimmybones » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:48 pm

Anyone into documentaries and cults and crazy people - The Vow on HBO had it's first episode on Sunday on the Nexium cult. Pretty interesting first episode, I was ready to join the cult even knowing there's tomfoolery ahead lol
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 13,319
And1: 5,898
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#750 » by stellation » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:17 pm

machu46 wrote:
truly wrote:

This looks good.


That is a seriously dark trailer. I had to turn the brightness up on my phone to be able to see what was happening lol

This made me giggle.
Read on Twitter
User avatar
Iheartfootball
Analyst
Posts: 3,562
And1: 1,491
Joined: May 09, 2014
Location: The Bay Area, but not back down
     

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#751 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:26 pm

Okay Aussie friends. I just finished ‘The Nightingale’. That was...incredibly difficult to watch. Unfortunately, the story fits in today’s current landscape. Anyone else see it? Same writer as The Babadook. She understands how convey suffering in a palpable story. Quite a gift.
"There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
— Will Rogers
ejn1214
Sophomore
Posts: 240
And1: 174
Joined: Mar 14, 2013

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#752 » by ejn1214 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:52 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Okay Aussie friends. I just finished ‘The Nightingale’. That was...incredibly difficult to watch. Unfortunately, the story fits in today’s current landscape. Anyone else see it? Same writer as The Babadook. She understands how convey suffering in a palpable story. Quite a gift.

I remember thinking it was a good movie but obviously a difficult watch. It's not something I would recommend to most people.
User avatar
Iheartfootball
Analyst
Posts: 3,562
And1: 1,491
Joined: May 09, 2014
Location: The Bay Area, but not back down
     

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#753 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:58 pm

ejn1214 wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:Okay Aussie friends. I just finished ‘The Nightingale’. That was...incredibly difficult to watch. Unfortunately, the story fits in today’s current landscape. Anyone else see it? Same writer as The Babadook. She understands how convey suffering in a palpable story. Quite a gift.

I remember thinking it was a good movie but obviously a difficult watch. It's not something I would recommend to most people.


Definitely not for everyone. It's the kind of movie I would preface with 'prepare yourself' if you choose to watch it.
"There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
— Will Rogers
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 37,328
And1: 13,137
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#754 » by AussieBuck » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:37 am

Is this where we bring the unfinished Bond debate? I need closure.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 67,347
And1: 20,264
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#755 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Is this where we bring the unfinished Bond debate? I need closure.

Connery. Ok, it's closed. 8-)
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 37,328
And1: 13,137
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#756 » by AussieBuck » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:56 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Is this where we bring the unfinished Bond debate? I need closure.

Connery. Ok, it's closed. 8-)

Well yeah, that part is boring. He's obviously both good at violent and a pants man. Probably a terrible combination in real life but the perfect Bond. What we need here is an accurate ranking of the rest!
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 67,347
And1: 20,264
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#757 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:58 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Is this where we bring the unfinished Bond debate? I need closure.

Connery. Ok, it's closed. 8-)

Well yeah, that part is boring. He's obviously both good at violent and a pants man. Probably a terrible combination in real life but the perfect Bond. What we need here is an accurate ranking of the rest!


1. Connery
2. Moore
3. Craig
4. Dalton
5. Lazenby
6. Brosnan
7. Niven
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 49,924
And1: 20,640
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#758 » by emunney » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:47 pm

truly wrote:

This looks good.


For a gritty reboot, pro tip: add or remove "The"

Anyway, smart to make it a detective story.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.

Run. Dunk. Repeat.
User avatar
RiotPunch
RealGM
Posts: 17,931
And1: 5,988
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: LA
     

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#759 » by RiotPunch » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:01 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Is this where we bring the unfinished Bond debate? I need closure.

How can I make this up to you?

Brosnan does have a place in my heart because he gave me Goldeneye on N64. I foolishly overlooked Niven as well, so Brosnan is second worst. Better? :D
Image
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,972
And1: 18,024
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#760 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:08 pm

Anyone picking up Bill and Ted today? Against all odds, it's getting awesome reviews.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

Return to Milwaukee Bucks