ImageImage

ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Chuck Diesel
RealGM
Posts: 16,354
And1: 9,918
Joined: May 23, 2004

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1561 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon May 25, 2020 4:41 am

Get what you’re saying, but Dikembe was much tougher than the Swissmen. Used to rock dudes with those elbows. Never wondered how much Deke cared the way you sometimes do with Clint.
chonestown
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,826
And1: 5,546
Joined: Mar 13, 2010
Location: Pants is a highly charged topic

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1562 » by chonestown » Mon May 25, 2020 4:34 pm

So with Leuer now retired, which jersey will he don when inducted into Springfield? Storied career but a vagabond. These are the choices that will define Adam Silver as a commissioner.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,300
And1: 19,296
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1563 » by MickeyDavis » Mon May 25, 2020 4:40 pm

chonestown wrote:So with Leuer now retired, which jersey will he don when inducted into Springfield? Storied career but a vagabond. These are the choices that will define Adam Silver as a commissioner.

He started and ended his NBA career as a Milwaukee Buck. He should go in as a Buck. He will join Kareem, Ray, Oscar, Sid, Tiny Archibald, Dave Cowens, Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bob Lanier, Moses Malone, Gary Payton, Guy Rodgers and Jack Sikma in Springfield.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 13,193
And1: 5,763
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1564 » by stellation » Mon May 25, 2020 10:53 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
chonestown wrote:So with Leuer now retired, which jersey will he don when inducted into Springfield? Storied career but a vagabond. These are the choices that will define Adam Silver as a commissioner.

He started and ended his NBA career as a Milwaukee Buck. He should go in as a Buck. He will join Kareem, Ray, Oscar, Sid, Tiny Gallon, Dave Cowens, Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bob Lanier, Moses Malone, Gary Payton, Guy Rodgers and Jack Sikma in Springfield.

Sneaky fixed it for you.
chonestown
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,826
And1: 5,546
Joined: Mar 13, 2010
Location: Pants is a highly charged topic

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1565 » by chonestown » Tue May 26, 2020 2:24 am

stellation wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
chonestown wrote:So with Leuer now retired, which jersey will he don when inducted into Springfield? Storied career but a vagabond. These are the choices that will define Adam Silver as a commissioner.

He started and ended his NBA career as a Milwaukee Buck. He should go in as a Buck. He will join Kareem, Ray, Oscar, Sid, Tiny Gallon, Dave Cowens, Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bob Lanier, Moses Malone, Gary Payton, Guy Rodgers and Jack Sikma in Springfield.

Sneaky fixed it for you.


TINES
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 13,193
And1: 5,763
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1566 » by stellation » Tue May 26, 2020 2:31 am

chonestown wrote:
stellation wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:He started and ended his NBA career as a Milwaukee Buck. He should go in as a Buck. He will join Kareem, Ray, Oscar, Sid, Tiny Gallon, Dave Cowens, Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bob Lanier, Moses Malone, Gary Payton, Guy Rodgers and Jack Sikma in Springfield.

Sneaky fixed it for you.


TINES

It was the best of Tines, it was the worst of Tines. Presumably.
HurricaneKid
Head Coach
Posts: 7,466
And1: 4,486
Joined: Jul 13, 2010
Location: Sconnie Nation
 

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1567 » by HurricaneKid » Tue May 26, 2020 3:49 am

InGiannisITrust wrote:Anyone else annoyed during the last dance the timeline would go from 1991 to 1998 to 1992, etc?
Almost all the footage was from 98. They wanted to stretch it out as much as they could so they added back stories for all the major players.

I went out of my way to watch it late. I am massively disappointed in it so far and I'm blown away by its mediocrity. I grew up LOVING MJ. And this just isnt the MJ experience. This is the MJ version of the MJ experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
User avatar
Jez2983
RealGM
Posts: 15,460
And1: 5,235
Joined: Dec 10, 2006
Location: #team56.4%eFG
   

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1568 » by Jez2983 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am

HurricaneKid wrote:
InGiannisITrust wrote:Anyone else annoyed during the last dance the timeline would go from 1991 to 1998 to 1992, etc?
Almost all the footage was from 98. They wanted to stretch it out as much as they could so they added back stories for all the major players.

I went out of my way to watch it late. I am massively disappointed in it so far and I'm blown away by its mediocrity. I grew up LOVING MJ. And this just isnt the MJ experience. This is the MJ version of the MJ experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


I can see why you'd say this. I think it's fallen into a perfect storm of nostalgia and a void of sport. I enjoyed it but know that it's a very selective history. I was unaware of much outside the MJ and Rodman stories, and those I needed a reminder of.

The lack of Longley was generally galling. I think they basically couldn't be arsed telling his story and opted to spend their money on Electra instead. Maybe they felt Kerr had the role player angle covered.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
User avatar
ElPeregrino
Head Coach
Posts: 6,846
And1: 3,725
Joined: Feb 21, 2013

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1569 » by ElPeregrino » Tue May 26, 2020 10:31 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
chonestown wrote:So with Leuer now retired, which jersey will he don when inducted into Springfield? Storied career but a vagabond. These are the choices that will define Adam Silver as a commissioner.

He started and ended his NBA career as a Milwaukee Buck. He should go in as a Buck. He will join Kareem, Ray, Oscar, Sid, Tiny Archibald, Dave Cowens, Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bob Lanier, Moses Malone, Gary Payton, Guy Rodgers and Jack Sikma in Springfield.

Let's not forget legendary Bucks player turned GM who drafted fellow Hall of Famers Julius Erving and Alex English and gave the first coaching job to a young former role player who went on to become the winningest coach in NBA history with an experimental style that changed the way the game was played.
Read on Twitter
?lang=en
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 36,470
And1: 12,227
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1570 » by AussieBuck » Tue May 26, 2020 10:50 am

Jez2983 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:
InGiannisITrust wrote:Anyone else annoyed during the last dance the timeline would go from 1991 to 1998 to 1992, etc?
Almost all the footage was from 98. They wanted to stretch it out as much as they could so they added back stories for all the major players.

I went out of my way to watch it late. I am massively disappointed in it so far and I'm blown away by its mediocrity. I grew up LOVING MJ. And this just isnt the MJ experience. This is the MJ version of the MJ experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


I can see why you'd say this. I think it's fallen into a perfect storm of nostalgia and a void of sport. I enjoyed it but know that it's a very selective history. I was unaware of much outside the MJ and Rodman stories, and those I needed a reminder of.

The lack of Longley was generally galling. I think they basically couldn't be arsed telling his story and opted to spend their money on Electra instead. Maybe they felt Kerr had the role player angle covered.

I'm guessing Luc either wasn't interested or they didn't want his version. Interestingly Luc is close to Phil but not at all to MJ.
Gooner wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:Giannis wouldn't even be an all-star if refs accurately called his travels and offensive fouls



Bruno Caboclo would be an all star if he played under Giannis "rules".
KidA24
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,204
And1: 2,775
Joined: Nov 01, 2012

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1571 » by KidA24 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:47 am

Jez2983 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:
InGiannisITrust wrote:Anyone else annoyed during the last dance the timeline would go from 1991 to 1998 to 1992, etc?
Almost all the footage was from 98. They wanted to stretch it out as much as they could so they added back stories for all the major players.

I went out of my way to watch it late. I am massively disappointed in it so far and I'm blown away by its mediocrity. I grew up LOVING MJ. And this just isnt the MJ experience. This is the MJ version of the MJ experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


I can see why you'd say this. I think it's fallen into a perfect storm of nostalgia and a void of sport. I enjoyed it but know that it's a very selective history. I was unaware of much outside the MJ and Rodman stories, and those I needed a reminder of.

The lack of Longley was generally galling. I think they basically couldn't be arsed telling his story and opted to spend their money on Electra instead. Maybe they felt Kerr had the role player angle covered.


I heard a couple places Longley refused to interview for the doc. That's why there was so much of everyone else (plus, well, Kerr is much more recognizable).
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
User avatar
Jez2983
RealGM
Posts: 15,460
And1: 5,235
Joined: Dec 10, 2006
Location: #team56.4%eFG
   

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1572 » by Jez2983 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:19 pm

KidA24 wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:Almost all the footage was from 98. They wanted to stretch it out as much as they could so they added back stories for all the major players.

I went out of my way to watch it late. I am massively disappointed in it so far and I'm blown away by its mediocrity. I grew up LOVING MJ. And this just isnt the MJ experience. This is the MJ version of the MJ experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app


I can see why you'd say this. I think it's fallen into a perfect storm of nostalgia and a void of sport. I enjoyed it but know that it's a very selective history. I was unaware of much outside the MJ and Rodman stories, and those I needed a reminder of.

The lack of Longley was generally galling. I think they basically couldn't be arsed telling his story and opted to spend their money on Electra instead. Maybe they felt Kerr had the role player angle covered.


I heard a couple places Longley refused to interview for the doc. That's why there was so much of everyone else (plus, well, Kerr is much more recognizable).


I wouldn't be surprised, Luc's a pretty private dude. Hehir himself said it was completely budgetary rather than any unwillingness to participate, hence my comment.

I think Luc's involvement would have been interesting. In the same way (for better or worse) Bogut spoke his mind I think Luc would have had some interesting things to say about Jordan. Maybe he wanted to avoid the post-show circus that Horace Grant seems to be being drawn into.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Licensed to Il
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,109
And1: 1,373
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
 

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1573 » by Licensed to Il » Thu May 28, 2020 3:49 am

“Last Dance” was a treat, and it got me through a dark time. Im from Chicago, and didnt become a Bucks die hard till college at UWM in 1997.

Having declared all that, “Last Dance” was poorly constructed, handled MJ with kid gloves, and made the mistake of NFL “B team” announcers (acting like they are explaining some story line for the first time, despite the audience being mostly fanatics that already know the stories and personnel better than the network guys). I didn’t need the doc to explain why MJ and Pip got off to a slow start with Kukoc.. I needed to see more interviews learning Toni’s take on things. Give me more of the 98 footage. Give me more Phil and Pip and the straight shooters. I didnt need MJ to explain why he was an ass hole. I didnt need Willbon and Timberlake and Obama.

Loved the doc, but it will be remembered better than it was, due to its covid slot. Dang. I really wanted ten episodes on the 98 team.
User avatar
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
Posts: 14,789
And1: 2,966
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Section 212 - Raising havoc in Squad 6

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1574 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu May 28, 2020 2:13 pm

stellation wrote:
chonestown wrote:
stellation wrote:Sneaky fixed it for you.


TINES

It was the best of Tines, it was the worst of Tines. Presumably.

We were so thirtsy for a star we drafter Brandon Jennings friend to appease him.
User avatar
buckboy
General Manager
Posts: 8,984
And1: 4,390
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: At the Gettin' Place
     

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1575 » by buckboy » Thu May 28, 2020 2:21 pm

My buddy and I saw Jerry Sloan in the Minneapolis airport a few years ago. My friend asked him to coach our YMCA team. He said he would if the price was right. He just deadpanned the whole thing. Outstanding.
"lol Bucks fans saying the bucks are getting fouled every possession. Are you guys watching Giannis? He literally fouls on every drive."

-ajones9219, a Celtic fan who may or may not be prone to hyperbole
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 13,193
And1: 5,763
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1576 » by stellation » Thu May 28, 2020 9:05 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
stellation wrote:
chonestown wrote:
TINES

It was the best of Tines, it was the worst of Tines. Presumably.

We were so thirtsy for a star we drafter Brandon Jennings friend to appease him.

People can be so ho hum about Andrew Boogaloot that they forget his Tines, Damir Markota, at least made it out of summer camp.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
Posts: 13,940
And1: 9,407
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1577 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri May 29, 2020 2:18 am

Read on Twitter


I'm happy to see Cuban say this. I don't see any reason a player shouldn't be able take a legal treatment for a major injury.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
User avatar
Jez2983
RealGM
Posts: 15,460
And1: 5,235
Joined: Dec 10, 2006
Location: #team56.4%eFG
   

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1578 » by Jez2983 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 11:43 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter


I'm happy to see Cuban say this. I don't see any reason a player shouldn't be able take a legal treatment for a major injury.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


As I'm currently doing a University unit on bias in research, I think I can confidently say Cuban promoting a study he has funded is a source of bias :lol:

Not sure I'll have a chance to read that article any time soon, but the issue with steroids is the long term effects. We know steroids have benefit on short term recovery, that's not really new info. I can't see ethical approval to perform this on athletes due to issues with length of time steroids are used for.

It's also possible the HGH has a lesser-effect on higher level athletes. Article doesn't state what else they did in the 6/52 trial or how many (if any) patients withdrew from the study. I'm suspicious.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
User avatar
stellation
RealGM
Posts: 13,193
And1: 5,763
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: *inaudible*

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1579 » by stellation » Tue Jun 2, 2020 9:32 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter


I'm happy to see Cuban say this. I don't see any reason a player shouldn't be able take a legal treatment for a major injury.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


As I'm currently doing a University unit on bias in research, I think I can confidently say Cuban promoting a study he has funded is a source of bias :lol:

Not sure I'll have a chance to read that article any time soon, but the issue with steroids is the long term effects. We know steroids have benefit on short term recovery, that's not really new info. I can't see ethical approval to perform this on athletes due to issues with length of time steroids are used for.

It's also possible the HGH has a lesser-effect on higher level athletes. Article doesn't state what else they did in the 6/52 trial or how many (if any) patients withdrew from the study. I'm suspicious.

Whatcha studyin', stud?
User avatar
Jez2983
RealGM
Posts: 15,460
And1: 5,235
Joined: Dec 10, 2006
Location: #team56.4%eFG
   

Re: ATL - RIP Jerry Sloan - Page 77 

Post#1580 » by Jez2983 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 11:44 am

Just my masters. As always around the time of assessment pieces I question why.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"

Return to Milwaukee Bucks