M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#1941 » by M-C-G » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:38 pm

emunney wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
jschligs wrote:
I get my second Wednesday too. Work is allowing folks to take the next day off if needed and I’m planning to just lie in bed.

Can anyone that can explain to me like a 4 year old what mRNA vaccine is versus traditional? Traditional I think I get, they put tiny amount of the disease in you, your body builds up immunity to fight it. Ok, got it. But mRNA I still don't get, it talks to your DNA or something? Any other vax that have used this I may have gotten?

Ok, I'll hang up and listen to answers thanks!

Normal vaccines use weakened viruses to teach your body how to defend itself. The mRNA Covid vaccines use just the mRNA the virus uses to build the spike protein to teach your cells to create just that protein and thus defend against it.

You can think about it in terms of training... Traditional vaccines give Rocky a weakened Ivan Drago to fight, Rocky learns Drago's moves and how to defeat him. The mRNA vaccines are like giving Paulie a cheat sheet of Drago's most critical move, and Paulie teaches Rocky how to neutralize that move.

This is actually very helpful, thank you.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#1942 » by trwi7 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:25 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Glad to see you guys getting the vaccine, let's get back to normal asap.

Is it really a surprise? We spend all our time here instead of going down all the ant-vax rabbit holes.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1943 » by REDDzone » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:57 pm

I got my second Pfizer on Friday. I very briefly had a lowgrade fever (100.3) and body aches and fatigue yesterday, along with the normal arm pain. I'm completely fine today though.

Pretty jacked to get back to normal soon.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#1944 » by Beorn » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:02 pm

As someone who lives in a banana republic, I am kinda relieved and jealous at the same time when I hear that there are still places where sometimes the government functions as intended, I will be lucky if I get the vaccine by Christmas :)
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1945 » by M-C-G » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:05 pm

Just a heads up for those getting the J&J...I think Ohio is the third state to pause along with Georgia and Colorado

Read on Twitter
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Post#1946 » by jute2003 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:23 pm

M-C-G wrote:Just a heads up for those getting the J&J...I think Ohio is the third state to pause along with Georgia and Colorado

Read on Twitter
It might be the right call and I understand abundance of caution but 6 cases in 7million doses is not exactly high incidence. I'm not overly concerned unless news comes out that the clotting issues are significantly more prevalent.
only a fan, only an opinion
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,346

Post#1947 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:24 pm

It will be a temporary pause bit I expect most/all states to do it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1948 » by M-C-G » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:35 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It will be a temporary pause bit I expect most/all states to do it.

Yeah, looks like the FDA and CDC just announced a pause on it, guessing that means all states

Read on Twitter
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,670

Post#1949 » by chonestown » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:41 pm

I have the J&J scheduled for Saturday in Madison. The length of time attributed to the pause is "days." We'll see.

Bummed at the moment. Not like my life was going to change in a drastic way after the shot, but it felt like putting final exams behind you. A time when you could exhale and tick something big off the to-do list.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1950 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:01 pm

If you're in the MKE area the Wisconsin Center has walk-ins, no appointment needed, free parking across the street on Wells. Pfizer/Moderna.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,022

Post#1951 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:57 pm

There is some behavioral science debate on whether the pausing of J&J is helpful or not. Like the total known causes is super small, so on one end it is causing unnecessary anxiety around vaccines, but on the other end it might make sense to make it a sacrificial lamb even if the cost benefit is still there because you don't want to give anti-vaxxers anything to latch onto. Caesar's wife must be above suspicion.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Post#1952 » by jute2003 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:53 pm

chonestown wrote:I have the J&J scheduled for Saturday in Madison. The length of time attributed to the pause is "days." We'll see.

Bummed at the moment. Not like my life was going to change in a drastic way after the shot, but it felt like putting final exams behind you. A time when you could exhale and tick something big off the to-do list.
I get it. I was super excited to get my vaccine on Saturday and the amount of relief I felt after it was done was crazy high. It will still be quite a while before I alter my daily life though.

Hopefully it is just a short pause and it is determined that all is safe with the j&j shot.
only a fan, only an opinion
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,670

Post#1953 » by chonestown » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:43 pm

jute2003 wrote:
chonestown wrote:I have the J&J scheduled for Saturday in Madison. The length of time attributed to the pause is "days." We'll see.

I get it. I was super excited to get my vaccine on Saturday and the amount of relief I felt after it was done was crazy high. It will still be quite a while before I alter my daily life though.

Hopefully it is just a short pause and it is determined that all is safe with the j&j shot.

Got an email from the clinic - which was running on three Saturdays - that it was put on pause and they'll have a decision by Friday. Gut feeling is that Saturday might be postponed further but not cancelled. Shrug emoticon.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,025

Post#1954 » by Siefer » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:43 pm

I'm worried this is a public health botch by the FDA and CDC too. 6 cases in 7 million, all women aged 18-48, and a particular kind of clot (CVST) that has a mortality of ~6%. Weighing that against slowing down vaccinations, and potentially tanking vaccine confidence, and I'm just altogether exasperated today.

I had an anaphylactic reaction to my first Moderna shot, and after meeting with an allergy specialty, the guidance was to get J&J as my second shot, which I did this last Saturday. I'm still feeling it a bit, but sure, my recovery times are generally longer for this kind of thing. I have a connective tissue disease, which complicates...everything, including making me a persistent clot risk, so yeah, that's another thing banging around in my head now even though I know the risks are very small.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,011

Post#1955 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:12 pm

I almost always sleep horribly and most nights just getting to sleep is a huge challenge. At least once a week I don't sleep at all. My brain just won't shut off.

I've had Calm on my phone for a couple months after subscribing, and I'd never used it. I just forgot I had it. Last night I decided to try it for the first time. HOLY ****. I'm not kidding when I say I had maybe the best night of sleep I've had in a year. I listened to Cillian Murphy narrate Crossing Ireland By Train and I was out like a light in a minute.

Not only that, but I could tell I literally didn't move from the time I fell asleep until the time the alarm went off. It was such a deep ass sleep that it took four snooze's and a much longer ass shower than usual before I could even think about functioning this morning. I was almost late for work.

I swear to god if this little ap helps me sleep better going forward I'm gonna cry.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1956 » by WRau1 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:16 pm

Got my 2nd Pfizer yesterday and my arm feels like I got hit with a wrecking ball, so that's fun.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1957 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:30 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I almost always sleep horribly and most nights just getting to sleep is a huge challenge. At least once a week I don't sleep at all. My brain just won't shut off.

I've had Calm on my phone for a couple months after subscribing, and I'd never used it. I just forgot I had it. Last night I decided to try it for the first time. HOLY ****. I'm not kidding when I say I had maybe the best night of sleep I've had in a year. I listened to Cillian Murphy narrate Crossing Ireland By Train and I was out like a light in a minute.

Not only that, but I could tell I literally didn't move from the time I fell asleep until the time the alarm went off. It was such a deep ass sleep that it took four snooze's and a much longer ass shower than usual before I could even think about functioning this morning. I was almost late for work.

I swear to god if this little ap helps me sleep better going forward I'm gonna cry.

Interesting. I have no problem falling asleep. I'm out within a minute. But then I sleep horribly, tossing and turning all night.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1958 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:36 pm

Vegas is reopening to full capacity June 1. UFC 264 on July 10 in Vegas will be at T-Mobile in front of a full house. McGregor vs. Poirier headlines.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,278

Post#1959 » by KidA24 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:19 pm

WRau1 wrote:Got my 2nd Pfizer yesterday and my arm feels like I got hit with a wrecking ball, so that's fun.

I got mine yesterday too. Tylenol took away almost all of my symptoms.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,022

Post#1960 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:17 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Vegas is reopening to full capacity June 1. UFC 264 on July 10 in Vegas will be at T-Mobile in front of a full house. McGregor vs. Poirier headlines.

Honestly surprised they werent at full capacity. And IMO probably a place where COVID is the least of my concerns. With all the ventilation from smokers and recovering hungover pool side, I think the biggest risk would be the hotel rooms. I would be more concerned about the money I lost and the decisions made after X number of drinks.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks