Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#561 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:36 pm

jschligs wrote:
buckboy wrote:Best non-political podcasts?

I'm a big fan of Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History, I also loved Serial (Season 1. 2 and 3 were meh), Sh*t Town, certain episodes of "This America Life" are awesome, other's not so much. That's all I can remember off the top of my head

I like Malcom Gladwell's too. I also listen to Clark Howard's a lot.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#562 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:41 pm

jschligs wrote:

I'm a big fan of Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History, I also loved Serial (Season 1. 2 and 3 were meh), Sh*t Town, certain episodes of "This America Life" are awesome, other's not so much. That's all I can remember off the top of my head

Up and Vanished is similar to Serial. (though I hate the investigative podcast genre where someone's ex-GF is brutally murdered and the host makes it sounds suspicious they don't want to be on a podcast to re-live ten years later, lots of self-righteous attitudes while emotionally harming a lot of people)

Dan Carlin has some great long-form history podcasts (Hardcore History) but probably could avoid his other political stuff

Light finance/pop culture - Animal Spirits is a good listen.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#563 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Also "Someone knows something". About unsolved murders/disappearances. Six seasons so far. From 5-11 episodes each. Latest season about a 19 year old Canadian who disappears during a road trip across the US. I haven't listened to that one yet.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,941

Post#564 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:57 pm

The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz Podcast.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,974

Post#565 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:04 pm

humanrefutation wrote:The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz Podcast.

I've listened to all three hours every day for most of the last decade. Local hour most of the time too. It's easily my favorite.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#566 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:40 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

I've listened to all three hours every day for most of the last decade. Local hour most of the time too. It's easily my favorite.

Same here. I'm about two weeks behind it right now, just plugging away. It's even entertaining in hindsight.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#567 » by buckboy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:55 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#568 » by trwi7 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Just got my "One Word, Bald Eagles" and Prime Time, Baby!" shirts today.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#569 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:06 am

Back in the office last Monday, some asshat has stolen my docking station cable. IT says 3 weeks for a replacement because HP are also asshats. Back to working from home.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,974

Post#570 » by drew881 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:34 am

THNMKR handicapped plate
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#571 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:40 am

Anyone else listen to the podcast Cocaine and Rhinestones? It’s a historical country music podcast, but don’t let that scare you away if you aren’t a huge country fan (I’m not). Just incredibly well done and researched. The episode on The Judds is worth a listen if nothing else.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/podcast-dept/cocaine-and-rhinestones-an-addictive-sparkling-podcast-about-country-music
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,648

Post#572 » by chonestown » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:01 am

Ill-yasova wrote:Anyone else listen to the podcast Cocaine and Rhinestones? It’s a historical country music podcast, but don’t let that scare you away if you aren’t a huge country fan (I’m not). Just incredibly well done and researched. The episode on The Judds is worth a listen if nothing else.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/podcast-dept/cocaine-and-rhinestones-an-addictive-sparkling-podcast-about-country-music

Subscribing now. This looks promising.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#573 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:02 am

Conan o Brien needs a friend
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#574 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:43 am

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:

Conan o Brien needs a friend

One of my favorites
ClassicJack
Lead Assistant
And1: 965

Post#575 » by ClassicJack » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:43 am

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Same here. I'm about two weeks behind it right now, just plugging away. It's even entertaining in hindsight.

I'm legit in January cuz work from home took away most of my drive time listening. Their stuff holds up so it's still decent even tho the show isn't what it used to be. I get the feeling they will be over soon. Maybe it's that 2020 will take away all the things I enjoy thing that stays in the back of my head but there are the reports about an ESPN radio shakeup. I figure by the time I catch up the show will be over.
F*** Marc Davis, f*** Tim Donaghy and f*** David Stern as a staff, record label and as a mothaf**kin crew......and if you wanna be down with Stern then F*** YOU TOO!!! Stu Jackson f*** you too.....all you mothaf**kas F*** YOU TOO!!!!
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#576 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:52 am

So my wife usually starts her day with a video call with her direct reports, usually 5 to 10 people, all of them IT and audit professionals. She usually does it in the living room table in front of the kitchen and I don't mind it, I mean it's COVID, you have to do what you have to do. I just ignore it.

However.
Upon careful reflection today, I realised that there is about a 90% chance that in the last couple of months my wife's colleagues have seen me naked in the background at least once LOL
Oh well. I mean she's pretty high up and a bit of a hardass at work, so they wouldn't say anything to her.

Today I gave them a little wave from the background and they all waved back :lol: :lol: :lol:
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#577 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:44 am

ClassicJack wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I'm legit in January cuz work from home took away most of my drive time listening. Their stuff holds up so it's still decent even tho the show isn't what it used to be. I get the feeling they will be over soon. Maybe it's that 2020 will take away all the things I enjoy thing that stays in the back of my head but there are the reports about an ESPN radio shakeup. I figure by the time I catch up the show will be over.

They're under contract for at least another year and a half, so I doubt they'll end it before then.
JoeyMorgan619
Rookie
And1: 1,767

Post#578 » by JoeyMorgan619 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Going through my first real breakup. Man does this suck more than anything I've ever experienced. So many questions and no answers. So much regret. Can't eat and barely want to do anything. Silver lining is we ended it on good terms. Anybody have anything good to help me out?
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,707

Post#579 » by jimmybones » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 pm

I'm a huge podcast fan, most of my favorites are either comedy based, sports or true crime - with most being the latter, actually.

Kid A mentioned it a page back but I cannot recommend The Dollop strongly enough, I met them after a live show in Madison last year and they were super cool. Signed copies of memes I made relating to the show. One of the hosts is from Milwaukee. It's a history podcast, technically, but it's hosted by two comedians and it's more of a comedy show.

Some of my other favorites:

True Crime Garage
Crime In Sports - there's like 4 former Bucks as topics haha
Small Town Murder hosted by the Crime in Sports guys as well, also 2 comedians
Last Podcast on the Left(spotify only now)
Serial season one is an all time classic
Locked on Bucks/Packers/NBA
The Wire Stripped
How Did This Get Made - with Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas from The League, they make fun of bad movies
Timesuck with Dan Cummins
This Past Weekend - Theo Von
Whiskey Ginger - Andrew Santino

Random other true crime shows I like but don't regularly follow:
Trace Evidence
True Crime Obsessed
Generation Why
True Crime All The Time
Casefile

As much as I love Bill Burr and Marc Maron, I never got into their podcasts
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,268

Post#580 » by KidA24 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:29 pm

JoeyMorgan619 wrote:Going through my first real breakup. Man does this suck more than anything I've ever experienced. So many questions and no answers. So much regret. Can't eat and barely want to do anything. Silver lining is we ended it on good terms. Anybody have anything good to help me out?

You won't get over it until you want to get over it. It's okay to be sad, to feel self pity, to do nothing for awhile.

Until you make the conscious effort to do things and try to move beyond it, you won't. You really have to fake it until you make it.

You won't wake up one day and a switch will have been flipped. You'll wake up 100 days and push the rock up the hill a little farther.... but you actually have to push the rock, it won't push itself.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”

Return to Milwaukee Bucks