ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

KidA24
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,282
And1: 2,892
Joined: Nov 01, 2012

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#721 » by KidA24 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:04 pm

Went out to the west side of Lapham Peak State Park last night to catch a glimpse of NEOWISE.

Super visible with just a pair of binoculars, and really cool. The first time I can say I've really seen a comet since Haley's in '86.

It was visible once stars started popping out and was about 2/3 of the way down to the horizon from almost directly below the bowl of the big dipper.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
User avatar
MissKhriddleton
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,927
And1: 1,175
Joined: Nov 03, 2015
 

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#722 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:22 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I was an English major with programming and dev skills I picked up on the side over the course of a couple years. I got my first big job out of college because I went into my interview with my laptop and said to the two ladies, "Here's what I can do for your website" and showed them my version of it. I got the offer call before I even got home.

That was 14 years ago. Since then I've worked for two agencies and now a major company where I handle all their web dev, SEO and e-commerce. Never once have had a minute of formal training. I'm sure there's obvious value in a CS degree, and you would learn a lot. But there is an infinite number of free or incredibly cheap resources online that can have you developing cool **** in a matter of weeks.


step3profit wrote:IMO, you can break in to development fairly easily if you can just show you know your stuff, which is a journey you can begin on freecodecamp.org, with a Udemy class, etc.

If you live in the Midwest, don't want to start your own company, and want to get past mid-low level manager level, you'll likely need some kind of degree in Engineering or Business, depending on your focus.

If you are starting from scratch, then just spend 10 bucks on a Udemy full stack class focused on Node and React; or start on freecodecamp for free. If you can't push through most of that, spending $30k isn't going to make it an appealing career - just one you are stuck with to pay back the cash.


Thanks guys, this is helpful. Guess I'll start by looking into the free stuff and take it from there.
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 27,120
And1: 3,876
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#723 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:35 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I was an English major with programming and dev skills I picked up on the side over the course of a couple years. I got my first big job out of college because I went into my interview with my laptop and said to the two ladies, "Here's what I can do for your website" and showed them my version of it. I got the offer call before I even got home.

That was 14 years ago. Since then I've worked for two agencies and now a major company where I handle all their web dev, SEO and e-commerce. Never once have had a minute of formal training. I'm sure there's obvious value in a CS degree, and you would learn a lot. But there is an infinite number of free or incredibly cheap resources online that can have you developing cool **** in a matter of weeks.


step3profit wrote:IMO, you can break in to development fairly easily if you can just show you know your stuff, which is a journey you can begin on freecodecamp.org, with a Udemy class, etc.

If you live in the Midwest, don't want to start your own company, and want to get past mid-low level manager level, you'll likely need some kind of degree in Engineering or Business, depending on your focus.

If you are starting from scratch, then just spend 10 bucks on a Udemy full stack class focused on Node and React; or start on freecodecamp for free. If you can't push through most of that, spending $30k isn't going to make it an appealing career - just one you are stuck with to pay back the cash.


Thanks guys, this is helpful. Guess I'll start by looking into the free stuff and take it from there.


I would defer to those who actually are in the field, but I would just add that there is a middle ground between "free" and "$30,000". I work with dev frequently, and we have people all over the educational spectrum on our teams (degrees, degrees in adjacent fields, degrees in completely unrelated fields, no degrees), but I believe a couple of them have used Coursera. It's more structured that Udemy, and they partner with some "real" universities and can offer certificates and degrees. Might be worth checking out. I think it's like $50-100/mo.
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#724 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 pm

For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

Getting into the good liquor tonight and taking Monday off.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#725 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:58 pm

Golf's Next Big Thing looks like, uh, just a big thing. Seriously, what the hell is with this dude.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 36,718
And1: 12,454
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#726 » by AussieBuck » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:21 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Golf's Next Big Thing looks like, uh, just a big thing. Seriously, what the hell is with this dude.

Reminds me of my cousin years ago who really wanted to be a pro footballer. Did an amazing offseason bulk and made a team but for some reason his temper grew just as impressively as his physique and he ended up being booted before he could become a star. :D

I'm sure this story isn't about a guy roided up to the gills tho.
Gooner wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:Giannis wouldn't even be an all-star if refs accurately called his travels and offensive fouls



Bruno Caboclo would be an all star if he played under Giannis "rules".
KidA24
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,282
And1: 2,892
Joined: Nov 01, 2012

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#727 » by KidA24 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

Getting into the good liquor tonight and taking Monday off.


and all I want to do is pour myself a goldrush and talk to friends.... and I'm stuck trying with a prod-is-broken fix it now thing that might cost me my weekend.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#728 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:32 pm

KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

Getting into the good liquor tonight and taking Monday off.


and all I want to do is pour myself a goldrush and talk to friends.... and I'm stuck trying with a prod-is-broken fix it now thing that might cost me my weekend.


Ouch, brutal.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

chonestown
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,892
And1: 5,622
Joined: Mar 13, 2010
Location: Pants is a highly charged topic

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#729 » by chonestown » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:29 am

ReasonablySober wrote:For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

Getting into the good liquor tonight and taking Monday off.


Box wine o'clock, the most magical hour there is.

Good isht, my dude.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#730 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:37 am

chonestown wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

Getting into the good liquor tonight and taking Monday off.


Box wine o'clock, the most magical hour there is.

Good isht, my dude.


Thanks! I'll never say a bad word about the Barefoot boxed.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

KidA24
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,282
And1: 2,892
Joined: Nov 01, 2012

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#731 » by KidA24 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:16 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

Getting into the good liquor tonight and taking Monday off.


and all I want to do is pour myself a goldrush and talk to friends.... and I'm stuck trying with a prod-is-broken fix it now thing that might cost me my weekend.


Ouch, brutal.


Well, I'm into the bourbon and on a call giving updates and the company is saying "Don't forget to sleep." So I got that going for me.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#732 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:19 am

KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
and all I want to do is pour myself a goldrush and talk to friends.... and I'm stuck trying with a prod-is-broken fix it now thing that might cost me my weekend.


Ouch, brutal.


Well, I'm into the bourbon and on a call giving updates and the company is saying "Don't forget to sleep." So I got that going for me.


I opted for the Don Julio. Not regretting a thing.

Good luck this weekend.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
BUCKnation
RealGM
Posts: 14,508
And1: 1,364
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
       

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#733 » by BUCKnation » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:31 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Golf's Next Big Thing looks like, uh, just a big thing. Seriously, what the hell is with this dude.

He's always been a bit like this, but he gets more attention now
User avatar
crkone
RealGM
Posts: 24,493
And1: 5,785
Joined: Aug 16, 2006

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#734 » by crkone » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Tried some single barrel Weller the other day. That was bonkers.

Code: Select all

            ________
    o      |   __   |
      \_ O |  |__|  |
   ____/ \ |___WW___|
   __/   /     ||
               ||
               ||
_______________||________________
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 27,120
And1: 3,876
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#735 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:49 pm

Do Jon Rahm and Jack Nicklaus not realize that standing like 2 feet apart and talking directly at each other without masks is like 30x worse than shaking hands (and afterward going to wash them)?

Oye.
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 27,120
And1: 3,876
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#736 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
chonestown wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

Getting into the good liquor tonight and taking Monday off.


Box wine o'clock, the most magical hour there is.

Good isht, my dude.


Thanks! I'll never say a bad word about the Barefoot boxed.


I will. Buy a Bota Box!!
User avatar
emunney
RealGM
Posts: 49,538
And1: 20,115
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: where takes go to be pampered

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#737 » by emunney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Even in the most **** up and surreal year of my life, that Kanye rally was a bit over the top.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.

Run. Dunk. Repeat.
User avatar
HaroldinGMinor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,362
And1: 3,669
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
       

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#738 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Box wine o'clock, the most magical hour there is.

Good isht, my dude.


Thanks! I'll never say a bad word about the Barefoot boxed.


I will. Buy a Bota Box!!


Seconded. Love the Bota Box.
Read on Twitter
User avatar
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 77,238
And1: 17,345
Joined: Dec 02, 2001
Location: Cheap dinner. Watch basketball. Bone down.
Contact:
         

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#739 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:33 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Thanks! I'll never say a bad word about the Barefoot boxed.


I will. Buy a Bota Box!!


Seconded. Love the Bota Box.


I honestly goofed. Said barefoot, meant Bota. I like Red and their Pinot is just fine to me.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

User avatar
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 27,053
And1: 9,710
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
       

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#740 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:07 pm

emunney wrote:Even in the most **** up and surreal year of my life, that Kanye rally was a bit over the top.


He's clearly going through what looks like a manic episode.

I wish his family would rein his ass in, but it seems that they only enable his foolishness.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks