ImageImage

NBA - The Re-Open: - Connaughton has Covid-19, pg. 94

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Re: NBA - The Re-Open: - Avery Bradley out, Page 55 

Post#1141 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:It sounded like Broggy was in the group that didn't want to play anyway, so maybe this isn't such a bad thing for him.

I think testing positive would make a player more willing to go to Disney because now they should be immune throughout the rest of the season.
Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1142 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:42 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It sounded like Broggy was in the group that didn't want to play anyway, so maybe this isn't such a bad thing for him.

I think testing positive would make a player more willing to go to Disney because now they should be immune throughout the rest of the season.

That's how most viruses are, but I don't think the scientists are comfortable saying that's a fact with this one. And for the next couple of weeks, he's regarded as contagious. That's probably a negative to go to Florida.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#1143 » by BucksFanSD » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm

After about one month you will have gone from 22 teams down to eight teams. The majority of the resort employees can leave at that point. For the eight remaining teams, family members can continue to stay or go to their real homes. I don't see any reason why a real bubble can't occur here. Doing so could put a lot of these concerns to rest.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Post#1144 » by jute2003 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:24 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
safi wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Yeah some folks are just asterisk types and will have a 'yeah but' for damn near any championship but I think the majority really don't think like that. I think the majority will look back at this championship with more of a 'remember that crazy ass year they played in Orlando durring covid, that was super weird'

One thing the bucks have going for them as a defense against the asterisk army is regardless of what happens to other teams the fact remains the bucks had the best record going into the tournament so its not like them winning would be some fluke. Now say the suns win a championship because like 50 players get knocked out then the conversation is a little different.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

How pervasive the asterisk talking point becomes will definitely be based on the results. If no series is materially affected by a positive test and the champion ends up being the Bucks or one of the LA teams, the narrative will be that it was a weird season but ultimately the Bucks/Lakers/Clippers would've won the title even in a normal scenario. If it becomes a battle of attrition and Indiana or Houston winds up winning the title, then yeah its going to be a major part of how this season is remembered.

Completely agree with this. If the Lakers, Bucks, or Clippers win the title and no major stars get the virus then this will be looked at as a normal season looking back on it. But if one of LeBron, Giannis, Kawhi, PG, AD, or Middleton get the virus and their team loses then people will call for an asterisk. Or if one of those 3 teams suffers an outbreak within itself. I don't think people will call for an asterisk though otherwise, even if say players like Harden, Embiid, or Doncic get the virus because odds are those teams weren't going to make deep runs anyway
I don't think anyone will even raise an eyebrow if Middleton has to sit and an LA team wins the title. A superstar he is not.
only a fan, only an opinion
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,051

Post#1145 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:46 pm

jute2003 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
safi wrote:
How pervasive the asterisk talking point becomes will definitely be based on the results. If no series is materially affected by a positive test and the champion ends up being the Bucks or one of the LA teams, the narrative will be that it was a weird season but ultimately the Bucks/Lakers/Clippers would've won the title even in a normal scenario. If it becomes a battle of attrition and Indiana or Houston winds up winning the title, then yeah its going to be a major part of how this season is remembered.

Completely agree with this. If the Lakers, Bucks, or Clippers win the title and no major stars get the virus then this will be looked at as a normal season looking back on it. But if one of LeBron, Giannis, Kawhi, PG, AD, or Middleton get the virus and their team loses then people will call for an asterisk. Or if one of those 3 teams suffers an outbreak within itself. I don't think people will call for an asterisk though otherwise, even if say players like Harden, Embiid, or Doncic get the virus because odds are those teams weren't going to make deep runs anyway
I don't think anyone will even raise an eyebrow if Middleton has to sit and an LA team wins the title. A superstar he is not.

He's certainly played at that level this year.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#1146 » by emunney » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:22 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:

From what he said on Redick's podcast, it sounded like he was in the group that definitely wanted to play and believed it would amplify them.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#1147 » by RRyder823 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:40 pm

jute2003 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
safi wrote:

Then they shouldn't care if PG13 has to sit cause Middleton has been better

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,456

NBA - The Re-Open: - Avery Bradley out, Page 55 

Post#1148 » by steger_3434 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:48 pm

I’m to the point now where if I was comfortable next season would happen id say scrap this season. But not a chance next season happens so do everything you can to get this season done. I see people here so worried about the health of multimillionaires but have no problem ordering fast food from a 19 year old living at home making $7.25

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1149 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 pm

steger_3434 wrote:I’m to the point now where if I was comfortable next season would happen id say scrap this season. But not a chance next season happens so do everything you can to get this season done. I see people here so worried about the health of multimillionaires but have no problem ordering fast food from a 19 year old living at home making $7.25

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Hey, if I thought scrapping the season would make things better for those anything year olds serving fast food, I'd be in favor of scrapping the season - at least I hope I would.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#1150 » by chonestown » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:41 pm

steger_3434 wrote: I see people here so worried about the health of multimillionaires but have no problem ordering fast food from a 19 year old living at home making $7.25

You do?
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
steger_3434
RealGM

Post#1151 » by steger_3434 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:58 pm

chonestown wrote:
steger_3434 wrote: I see people here so worried about the health of multimillionaires but have no problem ordering fast food from a 19 year old living at home making $7.25

You do?

There’s a few in this thread who think this is a horrible idea since the players could catch the virus

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,586

Post#1152 » by JayMKE » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:47 pm

What's the worst that can happen and how much danger is it versus doing whatever the players are doing not playing? Is it more dangerous than going to the grocery store or marching in a huge protest? A massive outbreak warranting canceling the entire operation would probably be the worse, top player getting infected the next, multiple guys on the same team, then single roleplayer getting infected. It does matter what team and what players obviously, the Lakers/Bucks are a lot different than Suns or Magic. I don't really care about asterisks really and a single guy being out which can be seen the same as an injury, I'm comfortable canceling or pausing the playoffs midway if there is a significant outbreak too but I think an attempt should be made. These guys will be in a bubble and presumably safer but also isolated from anybody immunocompromised so its not like it puts anybody else at risk.

Personally I always preferred Las Vegas over Orlando for the bubble but I think what should have been considered was somewhere more isolated and perhaps they still can or will in the future. What type of facilities do they need really? Somewhere outside the box like Hawaii or Alaska or outside the country in like Iceland I think should be looked at for feasibility. Why did it only have to be Disneyworld or Las Vegas? Two of the most traveled destinations in the whole country. They can't be the only place with the facilities capable of hosting it. Perhaps Disney's relationship with the NBA weighed heavily.

I do think the RS should have been canceled and we went straight to the playoffs, honestly I wish there was an 8 team playoff since the 1st round is worthless anyways. That's a change I would like to see period, over half the league making the playoffs where the lower seeds have essentially 0% of an upset. It permeates mediocrity and makes the regular season tedious and mostly unimportant. What would Herb have done if the only way to make the playoffs was to be real contender? No more 8th seeds, actual meaningful playoff races at the end of the season, and every team in the playoffs having a chance at winning the championship. They said it was a good time to experiment so one like this makes way more sense but I know it is the truth the only thing that matters to everybody involved is money and that takes precedence over competitive balance.

I don't really understand why some are so against it, I think its interesting just as an experiment let alone to finish the season. Sports being back if anything would be a welcomed distraction and might actually help keep people home since Tiger King isn't really cutting it anymore.
FREE GIANNIS
mcfromage
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#1153 » by mcfromage » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#1154 » by AussieBuck » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:19 am

That's twice now on different teams that I've forgotten who Jabari plays for
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
steger_3434
RealGM

Post#1155 » by steger_3434 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:19 am

mcfromage wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I forgot jabari was even still in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1156 » by AussieBuck » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:23 am

I saw somewhere that Florida has something like an 8 fold increase in pneumonia this year. The real covid number there must be waaaaaay higher than what we're told.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#1157 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:32 am

AussieBuck wrote:I saw somewhere that Florida has something like an 8 fold increase in pneumonia this year. The real covid number there must be waaaaaay higher than what we're told.

What a weird time we live in. Half the people are saying covid is over diagnosed and half are saying it is under diagnosed. What the hell.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1158 » by AussieBuck » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:38 am

Licensed to Il wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:I saw somewhere that Florida has something like an 8 fold increase in pneumonia this year. The real covid number there must be waaaaaay higher than what we're told.

What a weird time we live in. Half the people are saying covid is over diagnosed and half are saying it is under diagnosed. What the hell.

Good people on both sides IMO
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,421

Post#1159 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:53 am

When I first saw Jabari's name I thought he tore his ACL again.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1160 » by AussieBuck » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:56 am

MickeyDavis wrote:When I first saw Jabari's name I thought he tore his ACL again.

I thought he was still on the Hawks
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks