?s=20
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,581

Re: NBA - The Re-Open: - Avery Bradley out, Page 55 

Post#1303 » by JayMKE » Thu Jul 2, 2020 4:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:BIf they're able to do pro-wrestling(all of which is being filmed in Florida right now) then I think these fears about basketball in a much more secure bubble shouldn't cause so much gnashing of teeth. Normal people have to work, there isn't anything inherently special about pro athletes and if anything they're the ones best positioned to handle it. If this restart blows up in their face then so be it, I don't see what people are so afraid of.

Wwe is in the midst of an outbreak despite them doing their alleged best to control it. Wrestling should not be the case study if you’re in favor of moving forward with pro sports. Vince McMahon is about as reliable as trustworthy as the Chinese government.

WWE wasn't actually testing. They were doing temperature checks. It's a reason they're so screwed right now.

Part of the point I was making was that I think the NBA is doing far more due diligence in their restart and should be much safer than WWE or AEW both of which been doing shows in Florida this entire lockdown AFAIK with no bubble or apparently tests at all.
FREE GIANNIS
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#1304 » by DingleJerry » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:01 pm

Agree, NBA is really trying here. Who knows if it works, but it sure seems they're doing all they can. The one variable I think they're leaving dangling though is letting the workers out of the bubble. Seems like that's just ripe for an issue to come from, maybe they'll eventually close that trap door though, especially with the uptick in FL now.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,949

Post#1305 » by BUCKnation » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:24 pm

If the US wasn't so bad about dealing with the virus, things could be up and running already. European and Asian sports leagues are suffering very few problems, but the US is just shambolic.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,736

Post#1306 » by yannisk » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:52 pm

25 out of 351 players tested positive at this point in time. Why is this percentage so high between nba players?

if you take into account the virus has been around for months i wouldn't be surprised if half of them have got it already
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#1307 » by emunney » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:57 pm

BUCKnation wrote:If the US wasn't so bad about dealing with the virus, things could be up and running already. European and Asian sports leagues are suffering very few problems, but the US is just shambolic.

+1 for the content, would +1 again for the word choice
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#1308 » by emunney » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:51 pm

I know I'm mentally **** because the first thing I thought when I read this was where can I get tickets

Read on Twitter
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#1309 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:55 pm

1)Because of the NBA's leadership on this, all the players headed to Orlando have now been tested. This is a good thing for their health. Half these guys would never know, especially if asymptomatic.

2) The Rockets will be safer in the bubble the next 30-days than they would be running around Houston right now (assuming the NBA actually spends the money to bring the support workers into the bubble)

3) The composition of players participating in the NBA just will be different. Some guys will elect to retire. Just like some in other industries will also. We're never going back to the exact conditions pre-March 11th.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
emunney
RealGM

Post#1310 » by emunney » Thu Jul 2, 2020 9:18 pm

In all seriousness, was there any consideration to do this overseas?
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1311 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Jul 2, 2020 9:42 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Chuck, he’s been in the league 14 years. He’s 36 years old and averages 2.2 points per game for Houston. Props to him for making the call to pass. Makes total sense.

You giving props to Wes Matthews, George Hill, Kyle Korver, Ersan & Marvin Williams too? First it was over $25 million career earnings AND on a non contender. Now it’s $25 million or a contender, depending on your points per game. Just trying to keep track.

Not sure what your point is. There are hundreds of players so of course there will be some that would opt out. Isn't it a good thing the nba is allowing this? Did I miss something about how it only works if every single player plays?

It's not a perfect solution but there never was going to be one. The vast majority of players, owners and fans seem ok with this plan.

My point is there’s been a big rush to diminish/explain away the significance of every guy who drops out or reminds us of the substantial risk. Rudy Gobert says his smell isn’t fully back, eyes around here are rolling. Spencer Dinwiddie says he’s still experiencing multiple symptoms, but he’s on an irrelevant team anyway, so who cares? Sure Avery Bradley a rotation player on a contender, but he’s already made enough money. The goal post keeps getting moved.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1312 » by Bernman » Thu Jul 2, 2020 9:56 pm

emunney wrote:In all seriousness, was there any consideration to do this overseas?

There wasn't anything stopping them from holding it in Montana, Canada, or just about anywhere considering all they need is a decent venue & hotels or apartments they can rent surrounding.

Deciding to do it in Florida is definitely curious considering they're one of the epicenters right now.

That's one thing they can learn from MLS' failure. In addition they should test and re-test before boarding the plane. Also they can't allow untested personnel in.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,377

Post#1313 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jul 2, 2020 10:15 pm

It has nothing to do with Florida and everything to do with ABC/Disney/ESPN
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#1314 » by skbucks1985 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 10:25 pm

The issue with doing it overseas is that, especially since there won't be fans, this is fundamentally an American TV show and its about ensuring that you've have as high an American TV audience as possible. And you could theoretically still do that if you went to an overseas site, but I'm guessing the NBPA would have a problem with doing games in the middle of the night or early in the morning.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1315 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 11:41 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
You giving props to Wes Matthews, George Hill, Kyle Korver, Ersan & Marvin Williams too? First it was over $25 million career earnings AND on a non contender. Now it’s $25 million or a contender, depending on your points per game. Just trying to keep track.

Not sure what your point is. There are hundreds of players so of course there will be some that would opt out. Isn't it a good thing the nba is allowing this? Did I miss something about how it only works if every single player plays?

It's not a perfect solution but there never was going to be one. The vast majority of players, owners and fans seem ok with this plan.

My point is there’s been a big rush to diminish/explain away the significance of every guy who drops out or reminds us of the substantial risk. Rudy Gobert says his smell isn’t fully back, eyes around here are rolling. Spencer Dinwiddie says he’s still experiencing multiple symptoms, but he’s on an irrelevant team anyway, so who cares? Sure Avery Bradley is on rotation player contender, but he’s already made enough money. The goal post keeps getting moved.

Just accept the new world we live in and die bro.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#1316 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jul 2, 2020 11:55 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

My point is there’s been a big rush to diminish/explain away the significance of every guy who drops out or reminds us of the substantial risk. Rudy Gobert says his smell isn’t fully back, eyes around here are rolling. Spencer Dinwiddie says he’s still experiencing multiple symptoms, but he’s on an irrelevant team anyway, so who cares? Sure Avery Bradley is on rotation player contender, but he’s already made enough money. The goal post keeps getting moved.

Most of these players got it from the outside world. A few got it from playing with other players before testing was going down. Do you think these players are safer at 'home' where they aren't getting tested and have nothing to do, or inside a somewhat protected community where you will have the most testing per capita and rules in place to keep players safe? Most of these guys who tested positive the past few weeks probably would've spread it more since they were asymptomatic and either going to clubs, hanging with family, or playing pickup games. They didnt get it from having groceries delivered to their house.

I also don't think the nba is stealing tests from people at this point. The us is testing 700k a day and any shortages seem to be due to funding/logistics.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#1317 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:02 am

emunney wrote:I know I'm mentally **** because the first thing I thought when I read this was where can I get tickets

Read on Twitter

The NBA could've made the bubble in Florida 30 teams. The bottom eight teams have been pushing to play since there was talk that not every team would be included in the bubble. I wonder if this could be a trial run for something in the future. For example, while the 16 playoff teams battle for the championship in future seasons, maybe the non-playoff teams have a short tournament of their own for something like draft position or a play-in spot in the playoffs.
Read on Twitter
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,029

Post#1318 » by midranger » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:09 am

drdrG wrote:
midranger wrote:Random corona note with implications: Chinese serologic study of 74 patients (50% asymptomatic) showed viral shedding an average of 19 days (interquartile range:15-26 days) and was longer in the asymptomatic population. Two weeks won’t be enough to test negative even if asymptomatic. More likely 3 weeks, which is at least a series and a half.

More off topic: Same study showed that IgG antibodies disappear in 8 weeks, which is REALLY bad news on the herd immunity/vaccine front.

This isn't a completely accurate description of this paper. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6 Over the same time period, neutralizing serum antibodies also decreased but within a range of 0.5-22.8% (asymptomatic) or 2.3-41.1% (symptomatic). It's hard to say how representative their pseudovirus neutralization assay is but these levels would suggest that there is still some immunity at that time point. A non-negligible fraction of patients, both asymptomatic and symptomatic infected individuals were IgG seronegative 8 weeks after disease onset which is very concerning from a population immunity perspective and requires further investigation.

My “REALLY bad news” wasn't too hyperbolic when the authors concluded that it was “very concerning” in a medical journal.

Though, I should have stated “start to disappear at some point within 8 weeks in almost all patients and completely disappear by 8 weeks in a non-negligible percentage of patients (13-40% depending on symptoms).”
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,014

Post#1319 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:31 am

safi wrote:The issue with doing it overseas is that, especially since there won't be fans, this is fundamentally an American TV show and its about ensuring that you've have as high an American TV audience as possible. And you could theoretically still do that if you went to an overseas site, but I'm guessing the NBPA would have a problem with doing games in the middle of the night or early in the morning.

I doubt the players care a lick about the American audience and when they're able to see it. They've got bigger things to care about. Health, salary, personal comforts during all this, etc.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#1320 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:49 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
safi wrote:The issue with doing it overseas is that, especially since there won't be fans, this is fundamentally an American TV show and its about ensuring that you've have as high an American TV audience as possible. And you could theoretically still do that if you went to an overseas site, but I'm guessing the NBPA would have a problem with doing games in the middle of the night or early in the morning.

I doubt the players care a lick about the American audience and when they're able to see it. They've got bigger things to care about. Health, salary, personal comforts during all this, etc.

The league wouldn't agree to doing it during the typical local time slots where they'd be located because they'll be very early in the morning or in the middle of the night in America and the NBPA wouldn't agree to do it during the American time slots because they'll be very early in the morning or in the middle of the night where they're located.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks