ImageImage

NBA Re-Open Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

brettski
Analyst
And1: 1,730

Re: NBA Re-Open Thread 

Post#41 » by brettski » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:28 am

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29497885/the-stars-our-experts-picking-mvp-rookie-year-biggest-nba-awards

17 out of 20 voted Giannis MVP, 10 out of 20 voted him DPOY. Bud gets 2 votes for COTY.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#42 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:29 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I think Bud's just a game changing coach. Even without Giannis I bet he gets this team to 50 wins.

Bud is the best thing to ever happen to the Bucks in my lifetime, including Giannis.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,729

Post#43 » by DanoMac » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:43 am

StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,621

Post#44 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:09 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
#FreeChuckDiesel
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#45 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:41 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#46 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:49 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Love it
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#47 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
brettski
Analyst
And1: 1,730

Post#48 » by brettski » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:40 am

Honestly more than anything I am looking forward to season start Giannis. The last couple of seasons as he has broken out he has slowed down and looked to take less contact the later the season goes. This shouldn't be a problem this year!
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#49 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:13 am

Read on Twitter
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
milwaukee bunks
Senior
And1: 433

Post#50 » by milwaukee bunks » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:19 am

While under quarantine with his family at home, Milwaukee Bucks reigning MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo said he didn't have access to a hoop.

But apparently that wasn't the case. Antetokounmpo admitted after Tuesday's practice in Orlando, Florida, that he was just saying that to gain an edge on his peers.

"Anybody out there that thought I didn't have access to a gym, they don't even know me," Antetokounmpo said, laughing. "So, I just said that to try to get a little bit ahead of the competition."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29513440/bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-says-had-access-hoop-contradicting-earlier-remarks
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#51 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:05 am

trwi7 wrote:
Read on Twitter

How dare you use Ersan’s Azbikistan wizardry for negativity.

Seriously though, how crazy that he probably pulled “a Thon” and still has a long and productive career exceeding all our expectations.

If we win the title this, Im totally going on ebay and finding a cheap, mesh, champion Ersan jersey.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,251

Post#52 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:21 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I think Bud's just a game changing coach. Even without Giannis I bet he gets this team to 50 wins.

I know this is a controversial take but I don't think I would call him a game changing coach yet. I like Bud and he's been great with the Bucks but he also has elite talent. Tyronn Lue went to three NBA Finals and won a championship coaching elite talent. Luke Walton once went 24-0.

Personally, I don't think Bud is the main reason for the Bucks' success. I think that credit goes to Hammond (for Giannis and Middleton) and Horst (for filling out the rest of the roster). While it seems like the Bucks went from good to great as soon as Bud came on board, his acquisition correlated with significant improvement of the roster. The Bucks getting rid of dead weight like Thon and becoming an elite team should not be surprising regardless of who the coach is. I made posts two seasons ago that the Bucks (under Kidd) were playing like an elite team every time Thon wasn't on the floor (example).

I'd like to see what Bud could do with a lesser roster. Actually I wouldn't like to see that but it would help sell me on him being an elite coach. In Atlanta, he averaged 42.6 wins per season and got fired.
Read on Twitter
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,969

Post#53 » by drew881 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:25 am

They should have just taken a vote on awards when the season paused and kept it under seal. Would have made sense to have that vote done at the time when it was fresh.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,353

Post#54 » by M-C-G » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:32 am

ElPeregrino wrote:

I know this is a controversial take but I don't think I would call him a game changing coach yet. I like Bud and he's been great with the Bucks but he also has elite talent. Tyronn Lue went to three NBA Finals and won a championship coaching elite talent. Luke Walton once went 24-0.

Personally, I don't think Bud is the main reason for the Bucks' success. I think that credit goes to Hammond (for Giannis and Middleton) and Horst (for filling out the rest of the roster). While it seems like the Bucks went from good to great as soon as Bud came on board, his acquisition correlated with significant improvement of the roster. The Bucks getting rid of dead weight like Thon and becoming an elite team should not be surprising regardless of who the coach is. I made posts two seasons ago that the Bucks (under Kidd) were playing like an elite team every time Thon wasn't on the floor (example).

I'd like to see what Bud could do with a lesser roster. Actually I wouldn't like to see that but it would help sell me on him being an elite coach. In Atlanta, he averaged 42.6 wins per season and got fired.

I see what you are saying but even Bill Belicheck sucked balls with the Browns in his first head coaching gig. If Bud didn’t change the system from last year to this year I would be more skeptical but he basically pivoted off the major flaws of last season and addressed them all.

I think he is in that elite coach territory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#55 » by blazza18 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:51 am

The significant improvement in the roster comes from Bud and his staff. I would bet a significant amount of money we wouldn't be talking about how deep the team is if Kidd was still coach.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#56 » by blazza18 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:57 am

skones wrote:
blazza18 wrote:
skones wrote:Lebron isn't winning MVP. He got crushed when ESPN analysts were polled.

DPOY was the one that was unfathomable. Davis got a lot of votes and he has absolutely ZERO claim to that throne when you dive into those numbers. It's flat out astonishing that he's getting any pub at all for that race.

Don't those numbers suggest Lebron has been a better defender than AD this season? I have slight issues with those numbers if so.

And what case would you make for AD being a better defender than Lebron?

We're talking
RPM, RAPM, PIPM, On/Off

Davis has
DBPM, and DWS

None of these numbers, when combined, give Davis a case at DPOY.

What is the case when you watch him play combined with looking at the numbers? Davis is a good defender, why do the stats not love him?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,251

Post#57 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:25 am

blazza18 wrote:The significant improvement in the roster comes from Bud and his staff. I would bet a significant amount of money we wouldn't be talking about how deep the team is if Kidd was still coach.

I don't know about the former but I'm certain the latter is true. Bud had complete roster control in Atlanta and he showed no indication that he knew what he was doing. I credit the roster improvement to Kidd's reign of terror over roster decisions ending and the owners learning their lesson about coaches being in charge of the roster. Horst and Bud obviously talk and Horst knows what type of team Bud wants, but I think Horst is the #1 guy.

Read on Twitter
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,285

Post#58 » by GoldenAntlers » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:27 am

Wow. The Bucks are going to win, aren't they?
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#59 » by DrWood » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:30 am

If LeBron wins the MVP, I'm going to every Bucks game at the Bradley Center for the rest of the year and kill any Lakers fans I see.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#60 » by skones » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:44 am

blazza18 wrote:
skones wrote:
blazza18 wrote:
Don't those numbers suggest Lebron has been a better defender than AD this season? I have slight issues with those numbers if so.

And what case would you make for AD being a better defender than Lebron?

We're talking
RPM, RAPM, PIPM, On/Off

Davis has
DBPM, and DWS

None of these numbers, when combined, give Davis a case at DPOY.

What is the case when you watch him play combined with looking at the numbers? Davis is a good defender, why do the stats not love him?

I'd say you have a flimsy case when it comes to DPOY. There's a large gap between a "good defender" and the case for DPOY. I'm not sure what the last question serves.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks