ImageImage

OT: Books

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

User avatar
FrieAaron
Head Coach
Posts: 6,336
And1: 2,771
Joined: Mar 25, 2010

Re: OT: Books 

Post#41 » by FrieAaron » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:45 am

I made the mistake of trying to listen to "Ulysses" on audiobook. I made it through, but quickly realized it's one I'm going to want to physically read some time so that I can go back and reread passages until I get it.
User avatar
buckboy
General Manager
Posts: 9,035
And1: 4,422
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: At the Gettin' Place
     

Re: OT: Books 

Post#42 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:36 am

FrieAaron wrote:I made the mistake of trying to listen to "Ulysses" on audiobook. I made it through, but quickly realized it's one I'm going to want to physically read some time so that I can go back and reread passages until I get it.


Yep. I read it twice 25 years ago.

I still don't fully comprehend it. Which I'm not really ashamed of. I think.
"lol Bucks fans saying the bucks are getting fouled every possession. Are you guys watching Giannis? He literally fouls on every drive."

-ajones9219, a Celtic fan who may or may not be prone to hyperbole
User avatar
buckboy
General Manager
Posts: 9,035
And1: 4,422
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: At the Gettin' Place
     

Re: OT: Books 

Post#43 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:36 am

FrieAaron wrote:I made the mistake of trying to listen to "Ulysses" on audiobook. I made it through, but quickly realized it's one I'm going to want to physically read some time so that I can go back and reread passages until I get it.


DP
"lol Bucks fans saying the bucks are getting fouled every possession. Are you guys watching Giannis? He literally fouls on every drive."

-ajones9219, a Celtic fan who may or may not be prone to hyperbole
chonestown
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,892
And1: 5,622
Joined: Mar 13, 2010
Location: Pants is a highly charged topic

Re: OT: Books 

Post#44 » by chonestown » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:52 am

Happy to see IJ get some love. DFW has been a punching bag over the last couple years. I can't speak on his personal life, but his writing had warm humanity to it. IJ is a huge commitment, but I without reservation recommend "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again." He was a tremendous non-fiction essayist and this is a great way to wade into his deep waters. IJ is worth the hype, but its also 1,100 pages and requires 2 bookmarks.

His piece on Federer is essential. Grab it here.
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?pagewanted=all
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake
User avatar
buckboy
General Manager
Posts: 9,035
And1: 4,422
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: At the Gettin' Place
     

Re: OT: Books 

Post#45 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:19 am

chonestown wrote:Happy to see IJ get some love. DFW has been a punching bag over the last couple years. I can't speak on his personal life, but his writing had warm humanity to it. IJ is a huge commitment, but I without reservation recommend "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again." He was a tremendous non-fiction essayist and this is a great way to wade into his deep waters. IJ is worth the hype, but its also 1,100 pages and requires 2 bookmarks.

His piece on Federer is essential. Grab it here.
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?pagewanted=all


Yes, again.

His tennis writing was gorgeous, for lack of a better term.

He was, by far, the writer who spoke to me in the best way. Which may say something about both of us for better or worse.
"lol Bucks fans saying the bucks are getting fouled every possession. Are you guys watching Giannis? He literally fouls on every drive."

-ajones9219, a Celtic fan who may or may not be prone to hyperbole
User avatar
buckboy
General Manager
Posts: 9,035
And1: 4,422
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: At the Gettin' Place
     

Re: OT: Books 

Post#46 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:24 am

FrieAaron wrote:
Shoot it FatBoy wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:Some of my favorites:

Dracula - Bram Stoker
The Iliad - Homer
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
A Storm of Swords - George RR Martin
The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Road - Cormac McCarthy


Curious how book 4 of a 7 book series makes the list? Why not just list The Dark Tower series?


Same as "A Storm of Swords," I just think they're the best in their series by a large margin. The King one specifically can almost be read stand-alone, but just went with single novels rather than throwing in series.


Is "Wizard and Glass" the flashback one where Roland is a teenager?

If so, I agree. And I'm pretty sure that's the one. Best book in the series.
"lol Bucks fans saying the bucks are getting fouled every possession. Are you guys watching Giannis? He literally fouls on every drive."

-ajones9219, a Celtic fan who may or may not be prone to hyperbole
User avatar
FrieAaron
Head Coach
Posts: 6,336
And1: 2,771
Joined: Mar 25, 2010

Re: OT: Books 

Post#47 » by FrieAaron » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:08 am

buckboy wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
Shoot it FatBoy wrote:
Curious how book 4 of a 7 book series makes the list? Why not just list The Dark Tower series?


Same as "A Storm of Swords," I just think they're the best in their series by a large margin. The King one specifically can almost be read stand-alone, but just went with single novels rather than throwing in series.


Is "Wizard and Glass" the flashback one where Roland is a teenager?

If so, I agree. And I'm pretty sure that's the one. Best book in the series.


Yep, that's the one. I enjoy the entire series but I love that book.
User avatar
HaroldinGMinor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,362
And1: 3,669
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
       

Re: OT: Books 

Post#48 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm

Anybody read Dune? I have it on my Kindle but have yet to pull the trigger.
Read on Twitter
User avatar
truly
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,772
And1: 1,502
Joined: Feb 05, 2016
   

Re: OT: Books 

Post#49 » by truly » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:30 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Anybody read Dune? I have it on my Kindle but have yet to pull the trigger.



Great book.Haven't read the rest though.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
Beorn
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,499
And1: 580
Joined: Jun 29, 2012

Re: OT: Books 

Post#50 » by Beorn » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Have read the first 3 novels. they are really good. I paused reading somewhere in the middle of the 4th, will continue at some point.
User avatar
buckboy
General Manager
Posts: 9,035
And1: 4,422
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: At the Gettin' Place
     

Re: OT: Books 

Post#51 » by buckboy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:20 am

Read several of them 35 years ago. Enjoyed them quite a bit. I couldn't really tell you which ones.
"lol Bucks fans saying the bucks are getting fouled every possession. Are you guys watching Giannis? He literally fouls on every drive."

-ajones9219, a Celtic fan who may or may not be prone to hyperbole
DrWood
Analyst
Posts: 3,246
And1: 1,065
Joined: Jul 08, 2014
     

Re: OT: Books 

Post#52 » by DrWood » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:42 am

The thing that pisses me off about DFW the most is that he hanged himself so I can't find him and beat the crap out of him for inflicting the world with that self-indulgent piece of crap that is Infinite Jest.
DrWood
Analyst
Posts: 3,246
And1: 1,065
Joined: Jul 08, 2014
     

Re: OT: Books 

Post#53 » by DrWood » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:46 am

Probably the last "great" book I've read is "Inland" by Tea Obreht. It's a Western, but probably not like any western you've ever read.
Before that "Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders. The story about the death of Lincoln's son and its aftermath.
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 36,718
And1: 12,454
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: OT: Books 

Post#54 » by AussieBuck » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:48 am

I have no idea why but I haven't managed to pick up any fiction for years. I remember reading 1984 on a flight ages ago, can't remember reading anything since. Will pick up something from the lot mentioned in this thread and see if I can get back into the game.
Gooner wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:Giannis wouldn't even be an all-star if refs accurately called his travels and offensive fouls



Bruno Caboclo would be an all star if he played under Giannis "rules".
chonestown
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,892
And1: 5,622
Joined: Mar 13, 2010
Location: Pants is a highly charged topic

Re: OT: Books 

Post#55 » by chonestown » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:55 pm

DrWood wrote:The thing that pisses me off about DFW the most is that he hanged himself so I can't find him and beat the crap out of him for inflicting the world with that self-indulgent piece of crap that is Infinite Jest.


“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,608
And1: 19,622
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: OT: Books 

Post#56 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:15 pm

AussieBuck wrote:I have no idea why but I haven't managed to pick up any fiction for years. I remember reading 1984 on a flight ages ago, can't remember reading anything since. Will pick up something from the lot mentioned in this thread and see if I can get back into the game.

I like to read a mix of fiction and non fiction. Sometimes I want to learn, sometimes I want to be entertained.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
buckboy
General Manager
Posts: 9,035
And1: 4,422
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: At the Gettin' Place
     

Re: OT: Books 

Post#57 » by buckboy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:50 pm

DrWood wrote:The thing that pisses me off about DFW the most is that he hanged himself so I can't find him and beat the crap out of him for inflicting the world with that self-indulgent piece of crap that is Infinite Jest.


Eh. He probably would've whipped your ass anyway.
"lol Bucks fans saying the bucks are getting fouled every possession. Are you guys watching Giannis? He literally fouls on every drive."

-ajones9219, a Celtic fan who may or may not be prone to hyperbole
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
Posts: 16,549
And1: 10,081
Joined: May 23, 2004

Re: OT: Books 

Post#58 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:42 am

Just gonna be vulnerable for a second here- I’ve never actually read a book but you all have inspired me. Can’t wait to get started with some of these recommendations.
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 36,718
And1: 12,454
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: OT: Books 

Post#59 » by AussieBuck » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:Just gonna be vulnerable for a second here- I’ve never actually read a book but you all have inspired me. Can’t wait to get started with some of these recommendations.

We're not snobs here Chuck, comic books are still books.
Gooner wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:Giannis wouldn't even be an all-star if refs accurately called his travels and offensive fouls



Bruno Caboclo would be an all star if he played under Giannis "rules".
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
Posts: 16,549
And1: 10,081
Joined: May 23, 2004

Re: OT: Books 

Post#60 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:57 am

AussieBuck wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Just gonna be vulnerable for a second here- I’ve never actually read a book but you all have inspired me. Can’t wait to get started with some of these recommendations.

We're not snobs here Chuck, comic books are still books.


The only super heroes in my life are Slovenian journeymen centers.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks