ImageImage

Giannis Thread - 2 Time MVP - The Contract discussions

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,877

Re: Giannis Thread - 2 Time MVP - The Contract discussions 

Post#1941 » by RubberSoul » Thu Dec 3, 2020 5:31 pm

It’s looking like Horst traded a decades worth of draft capital away without knowing if Giannis was staying or not. An asinine gamble and could very well end basketball in Milwaukee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,897

Post#1942 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 5:48 pm

raferfenix wrote:Oladipo (who trained with Giannis in Athens) would not have required as much outgoing salary as Holiday.

That means we could have saved Bledsoe for the Bogdan trade so we could get to the number we floated while tampering under the cap.

That's even aside from how he wouldn't have required remotely as many draft picks to acquire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not so high on Oladipo -- much less Schroder who we were reportedly close to getting -- but Giannis might be.

And all that said, even though he wasn't close enough with Jrue to offer him a plane ticket to Greece, there is plenty of reason to think they'll be fast friends once they hit the court.

Maybe Giannis worked out with Oladipo and thought he didn't look great and then conveyed that to the Bucks? Who knows with an injury like that, which isn't that common in sports. We don't have a lot to go on in terms of how many players recover 100%. It's more likely that the Bucks didn't want the risk. I know I would be livid if they traded DDV for Oladipo. With that injury history and contract situation, it's gotta be expirings plus protected picks IMO.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,054

Post#1943 » by Magic Giannison » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:10 pm

greekbuck34 wrote:
higharc wrote:It was posted about that Greek Interview: https://www.reddit.com/r/MkeBucks/comments/k4szk6/translation_from_giannis_interview_that_aired/

Too bad you guys cannot understand the full video interview. Giannis expresses himself alot better in Greek and gives an insight to his character. Seems like a guy who tries to carve his own way through life and won't settle imitating another superstar.

Having said that, the most concerning part of that interview for the Bucks fans is his relationship with Spanoulis and what advice the latter gave him. From that article:
"Giannis took some advice from Vasilis Spanoulis, a 3 time Euroleague champion, top Euroleague scorer and passer in its history, Giannis said he took the most wise basketball advice from him but Spanoulis never said to the show when he was asked what he actually told him, according to Giannis it was in the meaning of: "if you really want to win then u must lose this and this" but it was wise in a vulgar way (non Greeks wont understand) and he couldnt share it."

The above translation is not exact.
The question was if one of the athlete celebrities he had contacted during the summer gave him any advice that sounded to him strange. Giannis smiled and immediately thought of Spanoulis. He warned he would not share the info. His words was that the advice sounded strange to him at first but made a lot of sense later on the more he thought about it. He said that it was in the order of "If you want to win you have to do this and that".

Why this seems important to us Greeks?

Because Spanoulis is considered to be one of the biggest traitors in team sports. He left Panathinaikos to sign with Olympiacos. These two teams are the worst rivals in Greek sports and up to this day he is one of the most hated players when he steps foot in Panathinaikos' home court.

Before you all commit suicide, as I said at the beginning, this interview reveals a whole lot about Giannis' character and he seems as someone who does not follow advices blindly, but seeks to find his own way to do things...

We don't know what Spanoulis said to him. Spanoulis is traitor to the Panathinaikos fans but he also has the biggest "balls" to the rest of the Europe. He left the most powerful team in Europe because he believed he is the best player in Europe and a No1 option, he went to the rivals who were by far a lesser team and didn't win anything in 15 years and transformed them to B2B euroleague champions as a historic underdogs making him probably the best euroleague player ever. If someone can give solid advice to Giannis on how to win in a club without winning culture as the Bucks and how to transform from a great player to a true MVP it's Spanoulis.

Only sick Panathinaikos fans considers him a traitor lmao, nobody healthy in mind will call Spanoulis a traitor.
The guy is a legend to any healthy basketball fan here in Greece.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,760

Post#1944 » by DanoMac » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:20 pm

AD signed the 5 year extension
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,865

Post#1945 » by VooDoo7 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:26 pm

RubberSoul wrote:It’s looking like Horst traded a decades worth of draft capital away without knowing if Giannis was staying or not. An asinine gamble and could very well end basketball in Milwaukee.

How is it "looking like" that?

He's gonna sign.
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,215

Post#1946 » by Chad34 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:30 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:It’s looking like Horst traded a decades worth of draft capital away without knowing if Giannis was staying or not. An asinine gamble and could very well end basketball in Milwaukee.

He's gonna sign.

are you guaranteeing this :D :nod:
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,280

Post#1947 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:32 pm

I mean, there's no conclusions that can be drawn either way at this point. It is a bit disconcerting that nothing has been signed yet, but the consensus from the NBA insiders seems to be that he will sign the supermax. I don't think we can conclude anything until the deadline hits or reports come out indicating his intentions either way.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach

Post#1948 » by RubberSoul » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:35 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:

He's gonna sign.

It seems like if Horst/ownership knew he was signing he would have by now. Why wait if he already made a decision to stay?

VooDoo7
RealGM

Post#1949 » by VooDoo7 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:36 pm

Chad34 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:

He's gonna sign.

Chad34
RealGM

Post#1950 » by Chad34 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:37 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:
Chad34 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:How is it "looking like" that?

He's gonna sign.

man that's a big thumb :o
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,022

Post#1951 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:38 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:
Chad34 wrote:

He's gonna sign.

Based on more than a gut feeling?
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Chad34
RealGM

Post#1952 » by Chad34 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:39 pm

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:
Chad34 wrote:are you guaranteeing this :D :nod:

voodoo is giannis?
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,821

Post#1953 » by SirChurros » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:40 pm

RubberSoul wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:

He's gonna sign.

It seems like if Horst/ownership knew he was signing he would have by now. Why wait if he already made a decision to stay?

You do realize that there are a lot of moving pieces when it comes to this kind of stuff, at this level, right?
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach

Post#1954 » by RubberSoul » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:41 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:
Chad34 wrote:

He's gonna sign.

I have no idea if you have inside knowledge or not but your confidence actually makes me feel better about it. Somehow I need to stop refreshing RealGM and get some work done.

VooDoo7
RealGM

Post#1955 » by VooDoo7 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:42 pm

Chad34 wrote:
0BobLobLaw0 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:

voodoo is giannis?

Ha, I wish!

But yes, more than a gut feeling.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach

Post#1956 » by RubberSoul » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:43 pm

Krispy Kreme wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:

He's gonna sign.

You do realize that there are a lot of moving pieces when it comes to this kind of stuff, at this level, right?

I’m just an engineer I honestly have no idea how the behind the scenes stuff works with multi million dollar contracts and negotiation works.

ajb905
Rookie
And1: 311

Post#1957 » by ajb905 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:45 pm

Krispy Kreme wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:

He's gonna sign.

Horts is The Dude!
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,821

Post#1958 » by SirChurros » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:45 pm

RubberSoul wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:It seems like if Horst/ownership knew he was signing he would have by now. Why wait if he already made a decision to stay?

I’m just an engineer I honestly have no idea how the behind the scenes stuff works with multi million dollar contracts and negotiation works.

I mean, I don't know the ins and outs of it either, but I'd imagine the way you initially framed it is looking at it a little too simplistically. I guess I just look at it like I look at anyone else accepting a job offer. There's a ton of paperwork and sometimes you can know what you're going to do and still take a long time to accept the job offer.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#1959 » by LUKE23 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 7:05 pm

As many mistakes as LED/Horst have made, and for how they have looked inept in some situations (Bogdan most recently), I refuse to believe they are short-sighted enough to trade that much future draft capital for Jrue without 100% knowing Giannis is going to re-sign. Combining him leaving with all the picks and pick swaps is basically a franchise-ending situation.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#1960 » by skones » Thu Dec 3, 2020 7:14 pm

Read the tea leaves. Toronto took themselves out of the running. Miami took themselves out of the running. Los Angeles took themselves out of the running. He's signing.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks