ImageImage

Bucks sign Bobby Portis

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

thonnisbeastley
Sophomore
Posts: 233
And1: 135
Joined: Oct 09, 2016
 

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#141 » by thonnisbeastley » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:41 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
thonnisbeastley wrote:Watching Portis highlights(dirty plays) on YouTube. He's the kind of guy you hate when he does it to your team, but the guy you love and laugh at when he's on your team. One thing I noticed - every time he makes a questionable play/foul that results in injury, he's smirking. He doesn't give a ****. Can't wait to watch him slap Durant across the face in the ECF next season. As for his playstyle, he's got a Darius Miles crossed with Tim Thomas kind of vibe.


I think it's gross and I hate all the punching jokes.

We've probably been the softest #1 seeded team in the history of the league over the last two seasons. Necessary.
User avatar
tedbrogen
Rookie
Posts: 1,093
And1: 610
Joined: Jun 20, 2008

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#142 » by tedbrogen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:56 am

buckboy wrote:Bucks are probably a little better than last year, depending on who else they add. As it stands right now I feel they're better but not by much. Better in the playoffs almost certainly.

Korver, RoLo, & Marvin were useless.

Comes down to Holiday, Augustin & Portis vs Bledsoe, Hill, Wes & Ersan.


Agreed. I look at Portis as consolidating four bench players into one. Korver, RoLo, Marvin, and Ersan minutes go to Portis and a slight increase for Giannis. Portis at 25 and motivated in a winning environment is a much better bet than playing four old guys and hoping someone has the hot hand.

But Ersan was also basically useless for most of the season in my mind.

I look at it as Jrue >>>>>>>> Playoff Bledsoe
DDV back to prebubble play and with a year of development >> Wes (Wes was excellent defensively in the bubble but was just chucking bad threes up constantly)
Augustin > Bubble Hill (I don’t think Hill is shooting 48% from theee again and never was a creator)

I do think they need one more wing on the bench since Pat can’t really guard bigger wings, and a floor spacing wing would be preferable in case DDV still is inconsistent (although I think the DJ signing was to use him at the end of games with the starters in place of DDV if they need shooting). Not sure who that is or how they get them for $3M or less though.
User avatar
tedbrogen
Rookie
Posts: 1,093
And1: 610
Joined: Jun 20, 2008

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#143 » by tedbrogen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:00 am

thonnisbeastley wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
thonnisbeastley wrote:Watching Portis highlights(dirty plays) on YouTube. He's the kind of guy you hate when he does it to your team, but the guy you love and laugh at when he's on your team. One thing I noticed - every time he makes a questionable play/foul that results in injury, he's smirking. He doesn't give a ****. Can't wait to watch him slap Durant across the face in the ECF next season. As for his playstyle, he's got a Darius Miles crossed with Tim Thomas kind of vibe.



I think it's gross and I hate all the punching jokes.

We've probably been the softest #1 seeded team in the history of the league over the last two seasons. Necessary.


I had hoped that would be RoLo but he only wants to fight mascots and have pre-game fully scripted rasslin’ matches.

Portis will not take kindly when guys take shots at Giannis. You need that.

The fact that he offers that and floor spacing and defense is highly useful.

I can’t wait to see playoff intensity Portis.
User avatar
Pachinko_
RealGM
Posts: 13,240
And1: 12,789
Joined: Jun 13, 2016
Location: Greece/Australia
   

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#144 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:01 am

What did all those guys amount to against Miami? 2 bits of **** all.
The only one we should be concerned about losing is George Hill, but at 35 years old it was probably time to move on.
#FreeChuckDiesel
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 32,019
And1: 5,077
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#145 » by Mags FTW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 am

Bobby Portis sounds like the third member of Guy. Not Teddy Riley or Aaron Hall. The other dude.
User avatar
tedbrogen
Rookie
Posts: 1,093
And1: 610
Joined: Jun 20, 2008

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#146 » by tedbrogen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:46 am

Pachinko_ wrote:What did all those guys amount to against Miami? 2 bits of **** all.
The only one we should be concerned about losing is George Hill, but at 35 years old it was probably time to move on.


Even Hill was bad against Miami. He missed multiple wide open corner threes in the 4th quarter of close games.

Augustin is an improvement offensively (assuming shooting regression from Hill which we already saw in the bubble) and on this team that is more important than Hill’s D when they have Jrue, DDV, and Pat for defense on guards.
User avatar
Krispy Kreme
Analyst
Posts: 3,477
And1: 1,781
Joined: Apr 02, 2015
   

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#147 » by Krispy Kreme » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:So basically we replaced Hill and Ersan with Augustin and Portis and sold the farm for Jrue.
B-


Replaced Hill, Ersan, Wes, RoLo, Korver, and Marvin with Augustin, Portis, and 2 second-round picks in a trash draft. Sold the farm, the house, and a kidney to replace Bledsoe with Jrue.
F
For what it's worth this draft was quite good when you got outside the lottery. Lots of good value guys later.
#FreeChuckDiesel
xTitan
RealGM
Posts: 16,823
And1: 1,988
Joined: Mar 03, 2006
     

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#148 » by xTitan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:30 am

Mags FTW wrote:We joke about the craziness, but if he goes after teams that intentionally hack Giannis it might pay off.

Or how about Giannis make his damn free throws
User avatar
coolhandluke121
RealGM
Posts: 10,338
And1: 4,147
Joined: Sep 23, 2007

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#149 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:45 am

xTitan wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:We joke about the craziness, but if he goes after teams that intentionally hack Giannis it might pay off.

Or how about Giannis make his damn free throws


Nah, we just need Bobby Portis to punch people. That will solve this problem.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
mnstinks
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,646
And1: 41
Joined: Jun 28, 2006

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#150 » by mnstinks » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:46 am

Krispy Kreme wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:So basically we replaced Hill and Ersan with Augustin and Portis and sold the farm for Jrue.
B-


Replaced Hill, Ersan, Wes, RoLo, Korver, and Marvin with Augustin, Portis, and 2 second-round picks in a trash draft. Sold the farm, the house, and a kidney to replace Bledsoe with Jrue.
F
For what it's worth this draft was quite good when you got outside the lottery. Lots of good value guys later.

I am not happy about how things are going, but if you are mad about losing Ers, Korver, and Rolo then I am not sure what you saw this season. They are all replaceable
User avatar
coolhandluke121
RealGM
Posts: 10,338
And1: 4,147
Joined: Sep 23, 2007

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#151 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:48 am

mnstinks wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
Replaced Hill, Ersan, Wes, RoLo, Korver, and Marvin with Augustin, Portis, and 2 second-round picks in a trash draft. Sold the farm, the house, and a kidney to replace Bledsoe with Jrue.
F
For what it's worth this draft was quite good when you got outside the lottery. Lots of good value guys later.

I am not happy about how things are going, but if you are mad about losing Ers, Korver, and Rolo then I am not sure what you saw this season. They are all replaceable


That was just a full account of who's in and who's out, but please focus on the 3 least relevant guys on the entire list of moves to tell me why I shouldn't say the offseason sucked. JFC.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 32,019
And1: 5,077
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#152 » by Mags FTW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:48 am

xTitan wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:We joke about the craziness, but if he goes after teams that intentionally hack Giannis it might pay off.

Or how about Giannis make his damn free throws

I'm differentiating between teams that hack-a-Giannis, and those that do it while getting as rough as they can without a tech, like the Bad Boy Pistons v Jordan.
User avatar
M-C-G
RealGM
Posts: 19,488
And1: 7,416
Joined: Jan 13, 2013
     

Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#153 » by M-C-G » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:59 am

I could see Portis thriving here. Smart add at a great price.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
SupremeHustle
RealGM
Posts: 22,007
And1: 20,051
Joined: Feb 11, 2005
Location: Cloud 9
 

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#154 » by SupremeHustle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:15 am

Mags FTW wrote:Bobby Portis sounds like the third member of Guy. Not Teddy Riley or Aaron Hall. The other dude.


This joke is amazing.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?


#FreeChuckDiesel
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 37,453
And1: 13,346
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#155 » by AussieBuck » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 am

Super interested to see what can be done here. D needs a lot of work but he's at least a live body who maybe can shoot and can take the hits at C for Giannis. (this is me rationalising this free agency show)
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.


#FreeChuck
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 32,019
And1: 5,077
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#156 » by Mags FTW » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:48 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:Bobby Portis sounds like the third member of Guy. Not Teddy Riley or Aaron Hall. The other dude.


This joke is amazing.

Feel free to use it in Inevitable Defeat II: Retribution. Just credit me as the Best Boy or something.
User avatar
Brewhoopfan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 953
And1: 846
Joined: Nov 20, 2017
 

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#157 » by Brewhoopfan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 am

He can shoot. Great get.
DrWood
Analyst
Posts: 3,514
And1: 1,179
Joined: Jul 08, 2014
     

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#158 » by DrWood » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:52 am

He gets the Marvin minutes, imo. But he's not as good a defender. He's still young, and I hope he has his peak year (though if he breaks out, he'll option out. Which would be better than paying him, probably).
User avatar
drone3
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,141
And1: 1,314
Joined: Sep 10, 2015

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#159 » by drone3 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:31 am

Just found Portis on the worst defenders in the league list.

Istanbullus
Junior
Posts: 283
And1: 94
Joined: Jul 29, 2012

Re: Bucks sign Bobby Portis 

Post#160 » by Istanbullus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:39 am

From my buddy, a Bulls fan: "No guaranty he'll win you any games but it's a guaranty he might lose you a couple with his shot selection. Also guaranteed that the Bucks will be more fun to watch. He's a wild one."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks