Giannis SIGNS

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Re: Giannis SIGNS 

Post#1081 » by jimmybones » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Shaffty wrote:Our beautiful boy is back. Smoothie Giannis came out a lil in that clip

I've missed that sweet smoothie boy

Guys. Vibe with me for a minute. With the pressure of this decision off of Giannis and his teammates shoulders, our sweet smoothie King MVP Greek God is about to unleash the most motivated and focused fury on the league en route to an NBA title and the start of a dynasty. Feels good man.
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#1082 » by DavidDunn21 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:45 pm

DrWood wrote:what would it take to convince some of you guys that Booker and Beal blow chunks if you want a winning basketball team?
Make your case. The history of the NBA is filled with players who were really good but on bad teams and got caught up in bad team culture.

Booker and Beal actually seem like good citizens and teammates who have just been on middling or bad teams. So they don't play defense. They are EXPLOSIVE scorers of the highest caliber and that's what we actually need

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#1083 » by jimmybones » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:52 pm

humanrefutation wrote:BTW, I don't think there's a debate that Middleton is a viable #2 in the regular season. But he needs to show up in the playoffs. That's what ultimately matters.

I think there is the real value in Jrue. When Bledsoe and Middleton didn't deliver in the playoffs, we had to resort to Hill and even guys like Pat C. Hill is a fine player but Jrue is in a completely different category both talent wise and leadership. It's almost hard to imagine Jrue not stepping up in a huge way during these last two playoff debacles and that's really exciting for what he can bring himself and the trickle down effect that can have on settling the rest of the non Giannis guys into their roles.

I think he can have a real calming and steadying effect on the team to the point where his value is greater than just what his individual numbers show. People who think Bledsoe to Jrue isn't a big enough of an upgrade I think are missing the bigger picture.
MARK_POPE
Senior
And1: 1,970

Post#1084 » by MARK_POPE » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:07 pm

Kinda selfish of Giannis to break the news himself and not let Alex Lasry TBH but I'll give him a pass this time.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,726

Post#1085 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:07 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
aboveAverage wrote:
That nature of Giannis being a Shaq-like scorer necessitates more shooter and shot creators. I still feel like we’re short on those. It’ll be evident in the playoffs again. That’s why Bogdan would’ve been so useful.

When T.J. Ford was drafted, I remember talking with an NBA guy in Texas who was very familiar with his game. He said “the great thing about T.J. Ford, is that he makes his bigs play big”

That line really stuck with me. And for me that’s the key for Giannis breaking through. Bud has to allow Jrue and DJ to work the point and make Giannis play as a big. We just aren’t going to win a title with Giannis always bringing the ball up and initiating the offense against the wall.

I've been saying this for two years. Gianni has to morph more into evolutionary Garnett. Mid-range game, post-up game and wreaking havoc off the ball and filling the lane in transition a la Erving/Barkley/Malone. With the gravity he commands it will make the lives of primary point guards (Holiday/Augustyn) much easier. Obviously, I'm not saying in one season he needs to become Prime Hakeem on the block, but he needs to develop and stick to using 2-3 basic moves, and practice a pull up 15-18 footer. That next evolution in his game (coupled with of course better shock making and guard play) will elevate this team's chances for a title.

Does Bud have either the motivation or guts to tell a two-time MVP "Giannis, we need to take the ball out of your hands more and let our PGs distribute. You focus on scoring, drawing double-teams and kicking out. Save your energy for the fourth/playoffs."
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,997

Post#1086 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:13 am

Chapter29 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:
jschligs wrote:
Out of curiosity, outside of the Lakers with LBJ and AD, are there any other teams with two players in tier 1 and 2?

He has it:

1A: Giannis, LeBron, Kawhi, Harden
1B: Durant, Curry
2A: Davis, Doncic, Jokic
2B: Lillard, Butler, Embiid
2C: Paul, Tatum, Geroge, Gobert
3A: Bam, Simmons, Murray, KAT, Holiday, Middleton, Walker, Lowry
3B: Beal, Booker, Mitchell, Irving, Green, Siakam
3C: Morant, Brown, Thompson, Porzingis, Westbrook, Young, Williamson

That gets you through the top 37.

So Lakers have two top 10 guys. Clippers have two top 16 guys. Bucks are only team with three top 24 players. Celtics have two top 24 players and three top 37 players.

Nice. Thanks.

Yeah, this is going to be interesting. The formula to win in the NBA has generally been via a superstar pairing or more. Can a team lacking 2 superstars win a championship? We have 3 guys as noted above in that all-star caliber range and of course 1 superstar.

you know... i was thinking about this and i think its wrong unIess its Iebron and whoever hes paired with. virtuaIIy every team that has won recentIy doesnt have two and if anythin....other than Iebron.....theres a gob of times a pairing faiIed horribIy. Iook over the Iast 20 years and its basicaIIy IIebrons teams then shaq and dwade. besides that its not two superstars. even gs wasnt two superstars for their initiaI titIe so i dont know if you can even count the one with durant as evidence of anything. so.....im not sure this 1-2 thing is anything at aII. it might even be a hindrance if one guy isnt Iebron just Iooking historicaIIy
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,997

Post#1087 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:19 am

raptors, non durant warriors, aII spurs teams, mavs, gasoI-kobe Iakers, even the pierce Ied ceItics. none of those teams had two top 10 guys. are two superstars the recipe for anybody but Iebron? and is 1 superstar with a weIi baIanced taIented but non aII nba squad the recipe for beating him? or is there basicaIIy nothing we can Iearn from this besides aII forms and fashions of teams can win its just best to have Iebron james on your team
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1088 » by DrWood » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:31 am

blazza18 wrote:
DrWood wrote:what would it take to convince some of you guys that Booker and Beal blow chunks if you want a winning basketball team?

That isn’t fair to either player. Beal’s performed well on fairly decent Wizards teams and the Suns have only just started to turn things around because of the growth Booker has made.

there are always exceptions, but based on their career trajectories, but both are massively over-rated because they score a lot of points. Booker did increase his assist #s a couple seasons ago, but I still don't want him on a team I like.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#1089 » by raferfenix » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Chris Haynes expands on the Blazers being a secret suitor of Giannis.

Lillard’s texts might have been some of what Giannis showed ownership as examples of stars recruiting him.

Haynes begins discussing the potential union near the five-minute mark of the show.

“If Giannis were to leave Milwaukee, I’m talking about this past summer, before he signed the max extension. If the team didn’t make the necessary moves to make Giannis feel comfortable, I believe there was a team that he would have considered leaving for, and that team is the Portland Trail Blazers. Sources have told me that Giannis and Damian Lillard, they’ve gotten really close over the last few months. And they were talking about working out together.

I want to explain how important that is to everybody. Giannis doesn’t workout with anybody that’s not on his team. He’s turned down working out with LeBron James and turned down being part of the Space Jam 2 movie. He doesn’t do that. Him and Dame were supposed to work out.

I’m trying to be careful how I’m saying this, I don’t want to get to saying it’s recruiting. But sources have told me that both of them were talking with each other about the possibility of what it would look like playing with each other, you know, when their contracts allowed so. I believe Dame was trying to tell Giannis about what it would look like him playing in Portland and same, visa versa, what it would look like him playing in Milwaukee.”

”If Milwaukee didn’t get things in order, Portland was going to be a real target.”

Read on Twitter

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/12/22/22194879/damian-lillard-giannis-antetokounmpo-rumor-chris-haynes-podcast-contractextension-blazers-bucks
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,594

Post#1090 » by TroyD92 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:09 am

So in the last two years what has Giannis improved. Go.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#1091 » by TD75 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:14 am

TroyD92 wrote:So in the last two years what has Giannis improved. Go.

He is slower than what he used to be. I guess he believes he can move people around and force the issue than actually learn how to play basketball.

Sorry, but I prefer the version of Giannis from 2 years ago.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,594

Post#1092 » by TroyD92 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:34 am

TD75 wrote:

He is slower than what he used to be. I guess he believes he can move people around and force the issue than actually learn how to play basketball.

It'd be okay if he developed that kind of game wouldnt it? He hasn't at all.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
higharc
Junior
And1: 225

Post#1093 » by higharc » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:08 pm

He has improved his 3point shooting, his turnaround post game, his small hook, his rebounding, his handles, his pace (spends his stamina in a more controlled way), his defensive fouls.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,696

Post#1094 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:33 pm

higharc wrote:He has improved his 3point shooting, his turnaround post game, his small hook, his rebounding, his handles, his pace (spends his stamina in a more controlled way), his defensive fouls.

I'll give you the rebounds, he's been getting stronger every year and that has helped him on the boards. But shooting more 3s on terrible efficiency is actually hurting the team so I would definitely not count his 3pt shooting as an improvement. Not sure about the defensive fouls specifically but his overall fouls per minute has actually gone up, even though his steals and blocks are steadily diminishing. And the worst for me is that his assist/turnover ratio has gone to ****. He's not even looking for assists anymore and yet he keeps turning it over.

In summary, lately he's been trying too hard to do things he's not very good at, he's just not the type to hold the ball so much and take so many shots.

My peak Giannis was actually in 2016/17 when his assists, blocks and steals peaked and he had a much lower usage and FGs. He was just a better team player. I just wish he was a little bit stronger back then because he was falling down too much and wasnt as good on the boards, but I liked his decisions much better then.
higharc
Junior
And1: 225

Post#1095 » by higharc » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Saying he has improved his 3point shooting doesn't mean he is a plus shooter now. Just that he is better than 2 years ago, which was the question.
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,027

Post#1096 » by Magic Giannison » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:16 pm

Giannis is much better than he was in his pre MVP years, its not even close....

His finishing got better, his rebounding is insane and his defense is also better.

There are literally tons of statistics to prove this if needed.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,696

Post#1097 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:33 pm

higharc wrote:Saying he has improved his 3point shooting doesn't mean he is a plus shooter now. Just that he is better than 2 years ago, which was the question.

In my mind a big part of shooting is also making the decision whether to shoot or not, and that's what's lacking here. Can't think of anyone as "improved" because he's taking a tonne of shots at a slightly less crappy % than last year.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,587

Post#1098 » by blazza18 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:05 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is much better than he was in his pre MVP years, its not even close....

His finishing got better, his rebounding is insane and his defense is also better.

There are literally tons of statistics to prove this if needed.

I reckon his defence has slipped a little bit but he's just getting more recognition for it.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,576

Post#1099 » by JayMKE » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:14 pm

I just feel like Giannis is way more scouted now, there is a playbook to use against him whereas before teams were at a total loss. This is also why the playoffs are so much more difficult.
FREE GIANNIS
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,578

Post#1100 » by ShootingtheJ » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:04 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
TD75 wrote:

It'd be okay if he developed that kind of game wouldnt it? He hasn't at all.

Yup, hasn't improved on anything, that's why his numbers have improved across the board. Dribble moves, finishing at the basket without dunks, the turn around in the post, rebounding.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks