Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Re: OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto 

Post#1241 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:15 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Obviously timing the market is a bad idea. I funded my Roth in full in January. My 401k is already maxed out for the year. In hindsight I should have spread them both out over the calendar year but I didn't.

Now the extra cash each paycheck stays mostly in cash. I haven't sold anything in taxable investments but I haven't added much to them. Maybe 10-20% buying dips (that keep dipping). I'll just ride this out

Do you have any annuities? I've been researching them for work, and if I had a lump sum available, I would definitely be sticking it in a Fixed Index Annuity. Preferably one with a payment option that allows for increased payments based off of inflation.

I don't but they are definitely worth looking into.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,285

Post#1242 » by Finn » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:18 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Obviously timing the market is a bad idea. I funded my Roth in full in January. My 401k is already maxed out for the year. In hindsight I should have spread them both out over the calendar year but I didn't.

Now the extra cash each paycheck stays mostly in cash. I haven't sold anything in taxable investments but I haven't added much to them. Maybe 10-20% buying dips (that keep dipping). I'll just ride this out

Do you have any annuities? I've been researching them for work, and if I had a lump sum available, I would definitely be sticking it in a Fixed Index Annuity. Preferably one with a payment option that allows for increased payments based off of inflation.

Good website for pricing annuities.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1243 » by M-C-G » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:23 pm

Welp. This sucks.
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,839

Post#1244 » by GiannisAnte34 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:54 am

Where are we expecting the bottom to be for Bitcoin? I’m thinking somewhere between 10k-12k bottom
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1245 » by M-C-G » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:29 am

GiannisAnte34 wrote:Where are we expecting the bottom to be for Bitcoin? I’m thinking somewhere between 10k-12k bottom

Feels like the bottom may be $0.00 for everything at this point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,898

Post#1246 » by jschligs » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:52 pm

As someone who was a huge proponent of crypto in the beginning (probably because I was making a great profit mining and trading), I've completely soured on it for now. I've yet to see any extremely beneficial use case and it seems like a lot of the world is starting to catch on or get insanely tired of hearing about how it's "the future." How long do you need to hear about something being the future before you realize it sounds way better on paper than in practice?

If anything, it makes everything more difficult. I've sold all my crypto and have no intentions to buy back in.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#1247 » by BucksFanSD » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:29 pm

I sold off all my stocks when a couple weeks ago the August CPI data came out. Essentially, it meant to me that the Fed would not relent on its plan to hike up interest rates. Last week the Fed released their projections. The Federal Reserve expects a Federal Funds Rate peak of 4.6%, in 2023. That might mean mortage rates get up to 8, 9, or higher % next year. I'm trying to save as much cash as I can right now to invest next year. My main goal is to sell and then buy a bigger home nexy year as I believe prices pull back with such high rates. You can always re-finance a mortgage once inflation is tamed and rates go lower in a couple years.
GiannisAnte34
Starter

Post#1248 » by GiannisAnte34 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:53 am

M-C-G wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:Where are we expecting the bottom to be for Bitcoin? I’m thinking somewhere between 10k-12k bottom

There’s certainly more pain ahead but 0 is like thinking the sun won’t rise in the morning.

jschligs wrote:As someone who was a huge proponent of crypto in the beginning (probably because I was making a great profit mining and trading), I've completely soured on it for now. I've yet to see any extremely beneficial use case and it seems like a lot of the world is starting to catch on or get insanely tired of hearing about how it's "the future." How long do you need to hear about something being the future before you realize it sounds way better on paper than in practice?

If anything, it makes everything more difficult. I've sold all my crypto and have no intentions to buy back in.

Explain how crypto makes everything more difficult? One use case is for banks and financial institutions to cut down on cross border payment times and increase efficiency… really don’t think they’re interested in making more money faster so they can execute more transactions? Think again. Another use case is for insurance companies to utilize smart contracts. Also business to business uses such as project bids, land development, real estate…
Finn
Starter

Post#1249 » by Finn » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:30 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

There’s certainly more pain ahead but 0 is like thinking the sun won’t rise in the morning.

jschligs wrote:As someone who was a huge proponent of crypto in the beginning (probably because I was making a great profit mining and trading), I've completely soured on it for now. I've yet to see any extremely beneficial use case and it seems like a lot of the world is starting to catch on or get insanely tired of hearing about how it's "the future." How long do you need to hear about something being the future before you realize it sounds way better on paper than in practice?

Explain how crypto makes everything more difficult? One use case is for banks and financial institutions to cut down on cross border payment times and increase efficiency… really don’t think they’re interested in making more money faster so they can execute more transactions? Think again. Another use case is for insurance companies to utilize smart contracts. Also business to business uses such as project bids, land development, real estate…

It sounds like you swallowed a 2nd line manager I used to work for. :lol: So glad to be retired; I don't miss all these buzz word things in the least.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1250 » by Mags FTW » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:08 pm

Finn wrote:It sounds like you swallowed a 2nd line manager I used to work for. :lol: So glad to be retired; I don't miss all these buzz word things in the least.

"Leverage"
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1251 » by jschligs » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:11 pm

If you've ever seen the video I posted a while back it addresses all of those things. We already have all of those things in contracts that more or less work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=YQ_xWvX1n9g&ab_channel=FoldingIdeas
GiannisAnte34
Starter

Post#1252 » by GiannisAnte34 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:15 pm

Finn wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Feels like the bottom may be $0.00 for everything at this point

It sounds like you swallowed a 2nd line manager I used to work for. :lol: So glad to be retired; I don't miss all these buzz word things in the least.

Confused how these points have been reduced to buzz words? Key brokerages are adding crypto to their platforms which will inevitably increase adoption rate among older generations since they feel safer to dip their toe that way. As the framework for cryptocurrency advances, the adoption rate will grow faster as more sectors acknowledge that it's not only viable but more efficient. Imagine thinking that for example an archaic method such as SWIFT will be the best option for interbank payment 5, 10, 20 years from now? The need for transparent, secure, and accessible financial systems is mounting and becoming more obvious. People acted like the internet was a stupid idea too when you were young.
Finn
Starter

Post#1253 » by Finn » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:37 pm

Sorry for the confusion. Blockchain/smart contracts were buzzwords 4-8 years ago (among many others I was exposed to over the years during my technology career).
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 674

Post#1254 » by thonnisbeastley » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:43 pm

Read on Twitter
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1255 » by jschligs » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:06 pm

I get it, there are potentially some uses for it. Probably some now. But I have a friend who literally sends me hundreds of those kinds of tweets on a regular basis. Not a single one, in my 10 years in crpyto, has done anything revolutionary.

That said, I don't have the energy to have this discussion again. I would love for it to take off and have great use but I just don't care enough to pay attention anymore.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1256 » by Mags FTW » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:21 pm

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1257 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:00 pm

I don't pretend to know when/if a bottom is reached and there's probably more downside but I dipped my toe back in today. As I've said earlier I maxed out my 401K and Roth quite awhile ago and the excess cash is sitting there. But I'm going to start putting it to work. Just some mutual funds for now. Although it's not in any retirement account it's cash I won't need for awhile so I can be patient. We'll see.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#1258 » by BucksFanSD » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:11 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I don't pretend to know when/if a bottom is reached and there's probably more downside but I dipped my toe back in today. As I've said earlier I maxed out my 401K and Roth quite awhile ago and the excess cash is sitting there. But I'm going to start putting it to work. Just some mutual funds for now. Although it's not in any retirement account it's cash I won't need for awhile so I can be patient. We'll see.

Goldman Sachs is now expecting the s&p to end the year at 3600, so that would be sideways from here. Any good news could create a short squeeze, but may be only a temporary thing.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1259 » by M-C-G » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:09 pm

Ok, I am locked in to all the things that were once profitable and now so bad that I have to hold and hope they recoup. If I had to guess I am down 75% on my investments in the last couple of years, simply brutal.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1260 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:49 pm

M-C-G wrote:Ok, I am locked in to all the things that were once profitable and now so bad that I have to hold and hope they recoup. If I had to guess I am down 75% on my investments in the last couple of years, simply brutal.

Yikes that's a lot if you're talking 10/20 through 10/22. Dow and SP500 are up during that timeframe. Nasdaq about even. 10/21 through 10/22 has been bad though.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks