ImageImage

OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,460

Re: OT: Investing/Stocks/Bonds/Mutual Funds/Crypto 

Post#1161 » by Matches Malone » Wed May 11, 2022 2:00 pm

Are you guys buying anything cheap in the Bear market? I've been looking at $ICP, $NEAR and $TLOS lately but there's just so much info to take in, that it's hard to choose a few to diversify into.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 980

Post#1162 » by Ryan5UW » Wed May 11, 2022 2:14 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
wallus wrote:I buy every week and will continue to buy, maybe even more now.

Me too through my 401K (every 2 weeks). I have friends that opted out of their 401K or are having it all put into the stable cash fund. Some sold off a bunch of mutual funds and put it into cash. Stopping now and then trying to time when to get back in is hard. Regular investments outside my 401k though I've pulled back until today. But the investments I already had stayed in place, I didn't sell anything.

Had someone invested $10,000 in the S&P 500 on Jan. 1, 2002, they would have a balance of $61,685 if they stayed the course through Dec. 31, 2021.

If instead, they missed the market’s 10 best days during that time, they would have $28,260.

I've seen millions that got moved to cash/stable value in 401ks during the great recession that then got left there, missing out on the recovery... that's just in the little bit of the market my toe was dipped in at the time.

I have a piece from portfolio manager from a few years ago - obviously the numbers are a bit old now, but the concept is the same... If you invested $10k in the S&P 500 on 12/13/79 and left it in through 12/31/19, you end up with over $860k. If you missed just the 10 best days in the market over that 40 year stretch, that number drops to about $418k.

Definitely not saying you or anyone here is/would do that... just a general reminder to people who may not feel comfortable or interested in trying to time the market that it's REALLY hard to do and for the average investor, generally not the best idea.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#1163 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed May 11, 2022 2:41 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
wallus wrote:I buy every week and will continue to buy, maybe even more now.

Me too through my 401K (every 2 weeks). I have friends that opted out of their 401K or are having it all put into the stable cash fund. Some sold off a bunch of mutual funds and put it into cash. Stopping now and then trying to time when to get back in is hard. Regular investments outside my 401k though I've pulled back until today. But the investments I already had stayed in place, I didn't sell anything.

Had someone invested $10,000 in the S&P 500 on Jan. 1, 2002, they would have a balance of $61,685 if they stayed the course through Dec. 31, 2021.

If instead, they missed the market’s 10 best days during that time, they would have $28,260.

I've seen millions that got moved to cash/stable value in 401ks during the great recession that then got left there, missing out on the recovery... that's just in the little bit of the market my toe was dipped in at the time.

I have a piece from portfolio manager from a few years ago - obviously the numbers are a bit old now, but the concept is the same... If you invested $10k in the S&P 500 on 12/13/79 and left it in through 12/31/19, you end up with over $860k. If you missed just the 10 best days in the market over that 40 year stretch, that number drops to about $418k.

Definitely not saying you or anyone here is/would do that... just a general reminder to people who may not feel comfortable or interested in trying to time the market that it's REALLY hard to do and for the average investor, generally not the best idea.

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/
^^^^This was always my go-to. Basically if you only investing at the worst possible time, you would still turn out great as long as you kept your money in.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Post#1164 » by SupremeHustle » Wed May 11, 2022 7:07 pm

Woo. It ain't pretty out there. I'm taking some L's on ADA, MATIC and GALA. Still ahead for the most part but damn, son!
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1165 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:09 pm

Unsure what to even think right now (aside from font invest in anything). Get into GFS just over $50, great earnings report comes out, now it looks like it'll be at $45 in no time.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1166 » by vital_signs » Wed May 11, 2022 9:39 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Are you guys buying anything cheap in the Bear market? I've been looking at $ICP, $NEAR and $TLOS lately but there's just so much info to take in, that it's hard to choose a few to diversify into.

I'd like to but I just deleted my app and am going to try and not look for a year or two. A lot of cheapies out there but I'm not good at this ****.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#1167 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 11, 2022 9:43 pm

Since I dipped my toe back in 2 days ago it's been burned pretty good. Still temped to dip another toe.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#1168 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu May 12, 2022 1:21 pm

8-)
SupremeHustle wrote:Woo. It ain't pretty out there. I'm taking some L's on ADA, MATIC and GALA. Still ahead for the most part but damn, son!

I went in the red overall for the first time in awhile. I was at +25-30% not that long ago, lol. Amazon and Starbucks have been rough for me. Coca-Cola has been stable at least. I still think long term that Starbucks will be okay. From a consumer standpoint everyone I go to or drive by is packed. They have a strong consumer loyalty base. I think the union stuff will sort itself out at some point. Amazon I don't know. It maybe was overpriced but when they do the 20 for 1 next month, maybe they start doing dividends too.

Crypto has been brutal. I don't have a clue what to think there. I only have about 2% of my investments (401k, Robinhood, etc) there so not a huge deal bit still...
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#1169 » by Mags FTW » Thu May 12, 2022 5:21 pm

People have a fascination with round numbers. I think if the market goes below 30k, we see a panic.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,790

Post#1170 » by Stannis » Fri May 13, 2022 3:59 am

Mags FTW wrote:People have a fascination with round numbers. I think if the market goes below 30k, we see a panic.

This is the reason I wish the fed shouldn't raise interest rates in increments of five or quarters. They should do obscure numbers like 0.23 0.42
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,790

Post#1171 » by Stannis » Fri May 13, 2022 4:02 am

Matches Malone wrote:Are you guys buying anything cheap in the Bear market? I've been looking at $ICP, $NEAR and $TLOS lately but there's just so much info to take in, that it's hard to choose a few to diversify into.

As far as stocks, I'm not buying any company that isn't making decent money. That's basically oil, commodities, semiconductors.

I've been doing ok buying puts on unprofitable **** like PLUG and FCEL. Companies with great ideas but bad businesses with poor balance sheets & cash flow. Things are only going to get harder for them now that capital is more expensive to borrow. I've also been playing ARKK puts.

Crypto... I hate to admit it but I bought the dip on Bitcoin even though I see it hitting 10k. I also averaged down on Polkadot. These are the only coins I own.
Free Palestine
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,143

Post#1172 » by JEIS » Fri May 13, 2022 6:15 pm

Stannis wrote:
JEIS wrote:Afrm down 30% today.
Plug down like 20% Deals to be had.

You think so? I think this is just the beginning.

Even pre-pandemic, PLUG was overvalued. I see it going pennies again as we increase rates. It's currently trading at 20 P/S. I sold my puts way too early because I thought there would be a dead cat bounce, but it's just been a falling knife.

As far as AFRM, they have no moat. Too many competitors out there.

I think investors are getting smarter now and want companies that make money, not losing it. Biggest example now is Carvana. Even with it down over 80% this year, it's still not priced correctly.

I don't know man. Afrm kicking ass today. Plug rebounding as well. You might be right in the nearish future. Could tank like a rock if they don't get more business or contracts.
I think it has more to do with rates of borrow than people getting smarter.. Maybe just not worth the risk? Folks doing what they do when they are supposed to based upon what normally happens.
Just getting the vibe there is a strong push for a stable US economy. W shaped recovery in play.

I am however getting the vibe that Russia and China team up does not bode well for stocks in general. I have been in DC the past few days and saw some interesting things. that we will likely see on the news in the nearish future.

Guessing a slew of countries boarding China and Russia will be joining nato with the quickness... Not just Finland, which was recently on the news. Saw a couple interesting flags yesterday in a motorcade line.

Don't know it that will help stop the war or add more fuel to it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#1173 » by Mags FTW » Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 pm

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,968

Post#1174 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 18, 2022 9:40 pm

Ooof.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#1175 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 18, 2022 9:40 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Since I dipped my toe back in 2 days ago it's been burned pretty good. Still temped to dip another toe.

Ouch
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Post#1176 » by SupremeHustle » Wed May 18, 2022 11:49 pm

Been sitting on my hands. I have enough wood burning in the fire.

But man, only investing in what you can afford to lose is the best advice I got entering into this stuff. Which is why I'll probably be trying again!
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#1177 » by jschligs » Thu May 19, 2022 1:30 pm

Big 3 Basketball released an NFT for ownership of their teams. 25 Fire NFTs that are $25,000 a pop that gets you "ownership benefits" like being in on calls for strategy weekly and ****.

Why on the earth does this need to be a ****ing NFT? It makes no sense at all. Of course because Snoop Dogg and Gary Vee are in on it my NFT bro buddy thinks it's so cool. I asked him to give me some explanation on why this needed to be an NFT and he got defensive and didn't respond.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#1178 » by M-C-G » Tue May 24, 2022 2:03 pm

Man, how low do we think the DOW is going to go? Seem destined for it to be under 30k soon.

Hard to figure out what to do, I think I am not even in the willing to average down phase of my long investments, right now.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,946

Post#1179 » by sidney lanier » Tue May 24, 2022 2:24 pm

A lot of falling knives out there, and they are hard to catch. I've tried the old "but you're just averaging down" line on myself to buy at similar times in the past, but I'm not buying my own logic now that I'm older and wiser.

A lot of schadenfreude among us conventional investors now taking it on the chin about crypto investors who are taking it in more vulnerable body parts. I don't join in it; just reporting.

Young investors lose big in crypto crash: ‘I didn’t sleep for days’

Some investors were left devastated by the Luna collapse. “My friend and ex-colleague … tried to commit suicide this morning,” one Reddit user posted earlier this month. “He basically moved all of his savings to crypto in 2021 and LUNA was a massive player in his portfolio.”

Another despondent Reddit user said he retired at 20, having made $4.6 million trading off an initial $15,000 investment — only to dump “all but $10K” back into the crypto exchange.

“$4,600,000 into $500 in the matter of weeks,” the former millionaire wrote. “I’m not sure if or how i’ll recover. I lost everything.”

https://nypost.com/2022/05/23/investors-lose-big-in-crypto-crash-i-didnt-sleep-for-days/
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#1180 » by M-C-G » Tue May 24, 2022 2:45 pm

sidney lanier wrote:A lot of falling knives out there, and they are hard to catch. I've tried the old "but you're just averaging down" line on myself to buy at similar times in the past, but I'm not buying my own logic now that I'm older and wiser.

A lot of schadenfreude among us conventional investors now taking it on the chin about crypto investors who are taking it in more vulnerable body parts. I don't join in it; just reporting.

Young investors lose big in crypto crash: ‘I didn’t sleep for days’

Some investors were left devastated by the Luna collapse. “My friend and ex-colleague … tried to commit suicide this morning,” one Reddit user posted earlier this month. “He basically moved all of his savings to crypto in 2021 and LUNA was a massive player in his portfolio.”

Another despondent Reddit user said he retired at 20, having made $4.6 million trading off an initial $15,000 investment — only to dump “all but $10K” back into the crypto exchange.

“$4,600,000 into $500 in the matter of weeks,” the former millionaire wrote. “I’m not sure if or how i’ll recover. I lost everything.”

https://nypost.com/2022/05/23/investors-lose-big-in-crypto-crash-i-didnt-sleep-for-days/

Is this really just a canary in the coal mine for what is to come? Basically replace crypto with 'my retirement fund'

Return to Milwaukee Bucks